Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions

CourtneyWoods

Maybe it's just because I liked Starfox so much when I was a teenager, but I like the on rails feels. And really, parts of it aren't that different from other Star Wars games I've played and liked in arcades, etc. Rogue Squadron is a great game, but it's just a slight addition to the "on rails" concept (you can only go so many places on their maps, etc.). So they're probably always going to have issues with people that want a full-fledged space sim, even though only so many games are like that. The bigger problem, though, is in the lack of map variety and mission types. If they were doing better there it would feel less grindy and you could enjoy that style of piloting game more.

I think the addition of space zones and exploration is something they really need to work toward (because people would love that), but I'd hate to lose the current space missions to that. Both yes, losing one or the other, no.

I still wish they had planned on this from early on in the game process. I was as shocked as the game media I read when it was revealed Bioware hadn't been planning to make space combat a part of the game. I don't recall when it was, but a year or so before release? Made no sense to me.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I think; I think that the "new" missions will be cool, but what I would really like to see, is like a battleground type idea. You can join in at any time and fly around doing space quests, and then when you're done, you exit and go to where ever you wanted to go next...that would be cool!

i like the whole idea of it but the biggest hate i find that is common about the heroics is the fact that your just spamming the chat with LFG looking for people for this heroic! and no one bothers to go and help out, frankly if it was just difficult but well rewarding and was also single player, it would be awessummme! but the whole getting peeps to do this would just make it annoying really : / in my opinion anyway and yes i know it's an MMO but still people in this game aint 100 percent up for helping out, i rather be able to do something by myself and immediate than just waiting a long assss time for someone to pop up and help, better game experience too.

i like the whole idea of it but the biggest hate i find that is common about the heroics is the fact that your just spamming the chat with LFG looking for people for this heroic! and no one bothers to go and help out, frankly if it was just difficult but well rewarding and was also single player, it would be awessummme! but the whole getting peeps to do this would just make it annoying really : / in my opinion anyway and yes i know it's an MMO but still people in this game aint 100 percent up for helping out, i rather be able to do something by myself and immediate than just waiting a long assss time for someone to pop up and help, better game experience too.

Huh?:sul_confused:

The space missions are all right, but as other people mentioned, co-op space missions would be great. Maybe a few people could man turrets, or have other people's ships flying around helping you through the fray. Or, as othjers said, PvP space battles so that people could face off their ships against the enemy. Everyone complains about their characters not being good enough for normal PvP against others or that some aspect puts them at a disadvantage, but in space the starships are equal based on nothing but the upgrades you bought it. Its hard to claim one class is better in a starship, everyone would be equal (provided they all had the same upgrades).

Please fix the use of proton torpedoes! They are currently extremely annoying to use.

Why do they share the same activation method as normal missiles? There are times when I DON'T want to fire a proton torpedo at a ship's shield generator and instead use my normal missiles... but that isn't possible because the two share the same controls. The weapon used is dependent on the target and I don't like that as it throws me off and I end up wasting time because I'm not prepared to sit still and lock on to my target.

Using proton torpedoes should be something you have to consciously switch to. Similar to how you can redirect power to your shields or blasters, you should be able to toggle between missiles and torpedoes with the press of a button.

Were going off the rails eventually and will have a proper Space game/. You will have to watch the recorded live stream from the devs to hear it. The devs stated it would be a while though. Can I guesstimate next fall of 2013?

They've never said the SSSP will be off the rails, it may well be, but at the moment we have no idea.

Please fix the use of proton torpedoes! They are currently extremely annoying to use.

This.

I just want to be able to remap the keys. The current controls scheme doesn't suit me.

And this.

Would both improve the current on-the-rails missions a lot.

As would a score system.

I kind of assumed heroic space missions would mean they required more players - just like all other heroics (are supposed to). Even if they are still on raids I think it would be fun to have multiplayer space missions.

I'm a little... underwhelmed that the difficulty was just increased. It's so more-of-the-same =/

I hope they make 4 payer space missions. Taink would be the pilet; The Healler would be the tech- in fixing other payers that were damaged buy elctricle damage and sistem damage repair. And fielly 2 DPS as the gunners. interfaced with gunner chairs like the pilet. It would be like the first Star Wars movie.

Anyone played 'Galaxy on Fire 2' ? Simple game, made for IPad and IPhone yet has much more depth and general coolness factor than the space missions in SWtoR.

Surely it can't be that hard to adapt the current space game to something more like GoF2?

You can get that for the PC now too, graphics look pretty good.

I have to agree with the majority of posters on this one.

Making harder versions of a game element that already has a short shelf-life will not make it more attractive on its own. You can as always attach black hole comms and will see more people doing them but... it becomes more a chore than something you enjoy. Please, let the future development of space missions be centered around free roaming/non rail type exploration/combat. Else, I think your resources are better spent in additional PvE and PvP content or, more importantly, game performance issues.

While I enjoy the space missions from time to time and wouldn't mind a few more.....please for the love of all that is Jawa.........tell me they are not the same bloody maps only harder.

If this is the case, I will be, once again, sorely disappointed in the decisions made around this game.

What controls? You mouse around the screen and press two buttons, both on the mouse...

Oh, of course, there's the space bar, which does an ineffectual loop...

If those are the only controls you use these missions will be very tough for you. For normal missions you can get away without needing the up/down/left/right movements, for heroic you need to avoid more shots.

While I enjoy the space missions from time to time and wouldn't mind a few more.....please for the love of all that is Jawa.........tell me they are not the same bloody maps only harder.

If this is the case, I will be, once again, sorely disappointed in the decisions made around this game.

While they do take place in the same basic environments the goals and routes started from scratch, so you will find mines which are protected by invincible shields where you must take down the generator first, frigates you have to completely destroy (not just the turrets, the whole ship blows up) and as said in the blog some hard points which now need two torpedoes so you need to decide where your bombing runs will be.

I just hope they can fix the non Jedi ships as so far out of four ships tested only defenders work properly :(