Class Feedback

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Operative spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Healing: Hard to kill but not great heal output.

Concealment: Mostly an annoyance, not much of a threat any more.

Healing: Good, best heal class for PVP.

Concealment: OK sub-50 but nerfed too hard and too often, changes to adrenals etc and consistent nerfs mean lack of burst unless/until you have min maxed BIS gear. Even then class has limited role and other classes can (and do) achieve more.

Concealment: Can be deadly pre-50, but after 50 it's pretty awful, the high-damage abilitys rely on you attacking from stealth or from behind, if it's a long fight you're in, you can't stealth attack, and attacking from behind can be difficult if you're solo and using a healer companion.

Concealment: Again, good before 50 but not so good afterwards as it's only use is in PvP, and even then it's very poor damage (especially with relic/adrenal removal) and not everyone's cup of tea.

Lethality: Can provide great damage in certain circumstances, but lacks ways in which to achieve Tactical Advantage, Shared tree with sniper but requires you to go very close range to use rifle firing abilitys which seems rather odd.

1.) Healing is perceived to just heal. The tools you give me also make it easier for me to heal in PvP.

People perceive damage is to burst folks down.

2.) I perceive healing to help my team capture points.

Damage, I have to make myself an annoyance to the team, since other classes off better damage in WZ's. To do that, Lethality is my preferred spec. One issue with the Operative Lethality is that there isn't much synergy in the tree, compared to snipers. We also have to use more energy to get a Cull off (Shiv+Cull=34 energy), along with having to stay in thick of things in melee range. It feels like the TA mechanic was just thrown on Cull at the last minute so the tree uses TA's and that it's different from the sniper version. At least decrease the energy cost of cull so our Shiv+Cull= 25 energy.

Edited by Amien

Concealment Operative

Pre 50 - An annoyance and dangerous

Post 50 - A laughable annoyance that can only kill you if they catch you at less than 50% health

Generally Concealment Operatives seem a bit of a joke right now.

I picked the class because i like to play solo while helping the team.

I relished the idea of trying to solo cap or defend nodes and assasinating key enemy players.

In reality I cant really do any of these things well unless I play out of my skin which is fairly hard for me as I have limited skills. Other classes fufill the roll better with less effort.

Healer specced Operative since launch. Primarily PvPer.

Ridiculously OP, virtually unkillable (especially with Guard), does everything better than Mercs and Sorcs in every scenario. Too mobile, too high of a healing thoroughput, and has stealth and a vanish mechanic.

On par with skilled players at the skill cap of Mercs and Sorcs. Not OP, easy to kill with basic understanding of our rotation and how HoTs work. Fills the 8-man raid healer niche, with great sustain via Nanotech and Kolto Probe, and low burst comparatively speaking (i.e. great at keeping a big group alive through assorted damage and moderate AoE, but weak single and double target healing).

Healing: The healing spec in PvP is perceived as slightly overpowered with it's ability to constantly run around healing itself. Other healers see it as what they should be able to do.

DPS: This spec is still seen as annoying because it can still pummel people with cooldowns. At this point though everyone knows it's not actually all that useful.

Backstab having a 12 second cool down really makes the concealment tree feel clunky.

I feel like I am overload shoting and basic attacking too often.

I mainly heal but if I were to switch to dps it would be to lethality.

Concealment just feels wrong now.

Concealment / Leathality: PVE liability. Mediocre DPS output in PVE encounters -- positional requirements for dps on boss fights and other melee classes who do more damage make them less desirable. PVE operative in my raid group switched to PT and another unsubbed because of the state of the class.

Medic now has decent healing output and the class has great synergy when paired with a sorc.

PVE: After a rocky start Operatives are good healers after the 1.2 rebalance. Kolto Infusion is still need of love.

DPS operatives were unfairly punished for being an OP PVP class early on and were nerfed too far into the ground. Both DPS specs could use an overhaul in terms of rotation as well. Acid Blade is a "meh" end-of-tree ability would prefer it to be an actual attack.

• Heal spec - Considered one of the best in PVP
  • DPS spec - Considered mediocre to laughable in both PVP and PVE

I started out with the Concealment spec as I wanted to try out a DPS character. I was disappointed with the actual damage put out by the character. It seemed like I would need to spec all the way to Acid Blade to get some good numbers out, but the general consensus I read on the forums was that Operatives weren't the best DPS option anyway. My first character was a Jedi Sage (Seer) so I went fell back on what was familiar and switched to the heal spec.

I'm definitely enjoying the heal spec. It's offers a lot more mobility than the Seer as I have more abilities that I can cast on the run. The extra mobility and two additional defensive CDs make survivalibility better. The healing output isn't as good as the Seer, but having Shield Probe costing no energy and procing TA makes the spec viable.

Concealment Operative

I think most people view concealment as having been over-nerfed to the point of being somewhat of a joke now (in the 50s bracket). In sub-50, they are still competitive, though maybe still in need of some buffs.

I think the perceptions of most people are largely justified, and concealment needs some help -- I view them as a waste of a spot on a rated warzone team because they have below average damage potential, below average survivability, difficulty staying on target, extremely limited mobility, and bring virtually no utility to the group. Also, the difficulty/unreliability of exiting combat in this game presents a huge problem for a spec so reliant on stealth.

Lethality Operative

Broken and unfinished since release, and not a real threat.

Terrible for operatives. Great for snipers, but terrible for operatives. See above. Has issues with ability ranges and TA generation.

Medicine Operative

They are perceived as very desirable healers right now, especially in PvP.

I think medicine is in a good place right now. Medic Ops have good healing output, good survivability under focus-fire and interrupt pressure, good mobility (as far as being able to heal while moving), and being able to stealth makes them very valuable in objective play. Most importantly, they have a playstyle that is effective, unique, and fun.

Been playing the operative in PvE as Concealment and Healing Spec.

1. DPS Operatives are perceived as poor. Healing perfect.

2. Concealment is weak and feels weak. The abilities aren't nice to watch at and do no damage. Healing seems fine. The only thing that keeps me from playing it more often is the tiresomeness of somehow watching who has your hot still active. Watching buffbars is never fun, especially with your raidframes.

As a Lethality Op, purely PvP focused:

1)Others tend to perceive us as a non-factor. Every discussion I have ever had with players of other classes/specs, they made this quite clear. Probably the main reasoning I tend to hear, from them, is that DoT damage is not as valuable, and is more stat padding than anything. They also often claim that it takes too long to set up its burst, to be a threat.

2)Personally, I feel that most people have little experience fighting Lethality Operatives. It's a spec that has a pretty large learning curve, with a play-style that is not appealing to most people - so it's made out to be a lot worse than it really is.

The main issue with Lethality, is that you are forced into combat with every tick of your DoTs, which not only keeps you in combat for far too long, but also pulls you back into it even after vanishing or death.

Overall, I disagree that the main issue with Lethality is a greater need for TA generation. At most, it should simply have a way to generate TA no more quickly than now, but at greater range (Or a talent that grants greater mobility thus making the 4m requirement less of a burden.). The greater issue than TA generation, is energy. I think with better energy management, the spec would be more accessible to people.

I also think there should be a talent which makes it so DoT's will not break flash bang. The spec basically requires you to DoT as many players as possible for the +energy effect, and this cuts out much of what little utility an operative brings to a WZ. In fact, the very existence of the talent "Flash Powder" proves that someone actually saw this as an issue, to begin with - The problem is that Flash Powder fell short, and is not even worth speccing.

Edited by MobiusZero

Hi everyone,

Medicine

1. AOK glad he/she is here or KEEL DA HEALER NOW!

2. Medicine was made full functional with the changes to TA capacity and duration in 1.2.

Conceal:

1) Undergeared - Ohh Noe's I'm gonna die!, Geared: Didn't crit time to smash, Snare stun and leave him standing out of range and useless.

2) Conceal has 3 issues. Changes have made it so Operatives have no quasi reliable method to boost their opportunity to crit. With the DPS we had at release which was nerfed for it's OP potential when it crit this was understandable, However with the roolback of Damage burst potential as well as the removal of adrenal's conceal operatives are completely at the whim of RNG system with no exterior control method - get lucky have a chance unlucky and your toast as a result. With BS change to 12 Sec CD rotation is awkward. A way to renegage restealth reliably marauders stealth more often than operatives for GODS sakes.

Lethality:

1) Lethawhat? Your a sniper? Among the knowledgable - good potential but builds to slow to be viable in competitive play.

2) Med/lethality - TA generation and maintenance issues fixed by changes to med tree for medicine. Builds too slow and allows no synergy with other operatives on the field unlike competitor AC's. Overall burst potential is close to PT with double the build time and no synergy with adjacent operatives. Build seriously needs a chance of getting DOT's active on a target faster via a proc mechanism with Cull hard limited to utilizing 2 poison effects...

Conceal/Lethality - Has both build time and TA issues because the medicine fixes did nothing to help it mesh with lethality. I'ld play this if I enjoyed self-flagellation.

I play mainly healing spec but i have experimented with all specs in PVP only.

Healing spec- They may think we are too OP given all of our mobility when compared to other healing classes.

Concealment spec- Pre 50 it is deadly and in the 50's bracket i feel like concealment ops that know how to play their class can be a major pain for ANY class because of their healing capabilities

Healing spec i see as perfectly balanced compared to other healing classes some people may say that kolto infusion needs a buff but it is there to be used whenever kolto injection is interrupted. But i would love to see a minor reduce in energy costs to that spell :D

Just as a minor comment for lethality spec: It is extremely hard to tell if your poisons are the weak versions or the normal version. So just a change in the icon for the debuff would be awesome ;)

Concealment Operative

1-49 PvP: Extremely dangerous and obnoxious.

50 PvP: Merely obnoxious.

1-49 PvE: Great man, let's do that heroic!

50 PvE: Why aren't you specced to heal? *Vote kick*

1-49 PvP: I will eat people alive in 1-49 warzones.

50 PvP: No reason to play this over a mara/sentinel or vang/pyrotech, if what you want to do is damage.

1-49 PvE: Sure, whatever. Duoing heroics or flashpoints with a friend is fun.

50 PvE: Sort've like a pity f/ck, but with more tears afterwards.

Medicine Operative

The second or third best PvE healer in the game, by a tiny fraction, and the best PvP healer in the game by a significant margin.

The second or third best PvE healer in the game, by a tiny fraction, and the best PvP healer in the game by a significant margin.

Concealment

1. Perceived as a joke in PvE. My ops group would constantly laugh at the dps I would do on bosses. A running joke that a fresh 50 marauder would be able to get higher DPS than my full rakata Op could get. In PvP it wasn't bad, but with so many of our big play abilities needing a)stealth or b)proper placement, we aren't a real threat.

2. Very weak in PvE. When I look at my parses I am sad. The overall parse isn't bad, but no one cares about how well you did on trash. Boss parses are just sad. In PvP I felt very middle of the road. Not great, not horrible.

Healing

1. In PvP I am normally focused and chased down as soon as people see me. In PvE my group likes the heals for the most part.

2. In PvP I am very happy with the performance of heals. In PvE I am fairly happy as well. My only complaint is with our AoE heal. It was buffed which is great, but without anyway to target a group it makes me sad. I wish it was either confined to the group of the targeted member, or that it selected the people with the lowest HP. At the end of the day I learn to live with it.

Operative Concealment Spec

How do I perceive own spec?

Quite a fun class to play, however can be complicated setting up backstabs. Hidden strike is of limited use. DPS in parses is poor.

How others perceive my class?

Well, I've been kicked out of PUG HM groups for being an Operative DPS spec, even though I'm more than capable of holding my own.

Edited by EHKodiak

PvE: I don't really hear much about Operatives from others in PvE, other than the damage specs aren't very good.

PvP: The best healer in PvP due to being able to heal on the move. Concealment is a one trick pony; people absolutely hate when the trick is successfully pulled off because it makes them feel helpless but on the other hand, if the Concealment Op can't pull off their opener they can almost be ignored.

PvE: I haven't group healed yet so I'll stick to my experience soloing story content as a healer: it's not hard but it's boring and not very fun. This is because the basic attacks a Medicine specced Operative gets are on such long cooldowns you have to spend most of your time plinking away with Rifle Shot. When I played a healing Commando and healing Sorcerer, my attacks were similar to the damage specs so I could still have fun when I didn't need to heal; not so with the healing Operative.

PvP (healing): I would say healing as an Op in PvP is fairly well balanced. Being able to move while still healing is very strong, but there are a lot of downsides that balance it out such as only having one non-HoT that doesn't require tactical advantage and limited cooldowns. As a matter of fact, with no knockbacks to get separation from attackers I think healing Ops should have a talent that reduces the cooldown on Cloaking Screen since otherwise they're basically helpless when focused.

PvP (Concealment): The only think I'll say about Concealment in PvP is the real problem should have been dealt with: Stun in general (not just Op stuns). Ops keep getting their damage unjustly nerfed when the problem you don't want to deal with is CC; you should be improving how Resolve works (ie: not allowing chain stunning at all by any class) instead of nerfing damage on one spec because of the currently poor design on Resolve.

I do not play PVP. These observations are purely story-line gameplay and Endgame content.

Generally not strong DPS-wise, due to the necessity of being in melee range for both DPS trees. As a healer, they are seen as good.

I've experimented with a lot of builds. The Healing tree is magnficent, offering up a nice combination of group and individual heals with Dots.

The DPS trees are a bit more of a challenge, and while I can produce a huge amount of damage (typically surprising those I'm with) I do find myself dying astonishingly quick at times, even with all their defensive cool-downs.

I mitigate that by usually combining a DPS tree with the healing tree, but it does make me less useful in raids as a result.

All in all, I have a lot of fun with the classes versatility, but I wish the DPS specializations provided a little more survivability.

My operative is a PvE healer

Operative healers are viewed primarily as support healers, fine in flashpoints but not the most sought after in raids. I often get major props for having the patience to level one up. The story was great, but the leveling experience was poor.

I enjoy healing on my operative, but it is also the only raid viable spec for the class. Allowing operatives a ranged dps option would help. When comparing my sorceror healer vs my operative I find the sorceror has many dps abilities that can be used during the luls between healing. My operative on the other hand needs to be close to the target(taking more damage), and using abilities which use large amounts of energy to do the same. The scaling energy regen mechanic really limits operatives ability to switch between roles midfight. I would like to see additons to the cover system for operatives, making ranged dps an option with the healing/lethality tree. Healing yourself while waiting for your companion to kill something is not fun for dailies.

A kolto probe refresher, or improved raid/party display of buffs/debuffs(those that actually matter as opposed to everything) would really help with healing, during a group aoe damage phase it is difficult to keep kolto probe on the tank as well as maintain safe levels of health on the party and decent energy levels. I enjoy the complexity of operative healing, but feel the penalties are too severe for mistakes vs soceror healing.

Edited by Trispast

Was heal spec'd pre-1.2 (ended up re-rolling since it got dull). Also, tried medicine/lethality for a little and lethality for 1 hard mode flashpoint

Healing: From what I get on the boards, people seem to like it more than pre-1.2. Some people think it's borderline OP in PVP - they need to learn to interrupt Kolto Injection

Damage: From what I get on the boards, people consider it a joke.

Healing: I didn't go back to since what was done was merely put a band-aid on a broken spec. The real problem w/ the spec is that it's absolutely boring and the abilities don't work together whatsoever. You're stuck in Kolto Injection -> Surgical Probe as a rotation to keep yourself energy neutral. This (+ HOTs on the tank) are functional, but not fun. It requires way too much setup and you have no way of refreshing the HOTs other than using Kolto Probe. The UI doesn't facilitate this well as it is pretty terrible in figuring out when your HOTs are about to expire. What it needs is for the HOTs to allow special reactions to occur w/ each of the various heals (like Kolto Infusion on a target w/ a HOT giving it increased armor). Speaking of Kolto Infusion, right now it's useless (same as pre-1.2) - it costs way too much for the healing it provides. Leveling w/ this is pretty awkward at times - your Interrupt is close range along w/ most of your damage + CC's - which doesn't quite feel right for the spec (unless you make special close range heals). The tiny bit of raiding + hardmode flashpoints I did felt awkward, like all I was doing was playing a game of wack-a-mole and couldn't handle it if everyone was getting hit at the same time (the improvement to Recuperative Nanotech may have improved this, but it needs to hit 8 targets or 4 targets w/ smart healing to be useful in a raiding situation). Finally, if Stim Boost doesn't provide extra effects, just make it passive - it's kind of annoying and I could get away w/ not actually having it on at times.

Healing/Lethality Hybrid: The immediate energy regen from stim boost was nice as it meant I could get off extra Kolto Injections if needed, but other than that it was a weaker healer w/ not a huge damage gain.

Lethality: Clunky as heck and hated it. This is completely broken. There needs to be a better way to generate TA's than shiv (like poison crits and overload shot) along w/ some sort of identity to it - the DOTs are 30m, Cull and Weakening Blast are 10m and Shiv is 4m (which means that you're forced to go 4m).

Concealment: What tiny bit of interaction I had in a warzone w/ it, it seemed annoying, but weak. I'd get stunlocked for a while (which wasn't fun), but I don't recall it doing a huge amount of damage to me (under 50 warzone).

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1, Lethality - worthless dps

2. same

1. Underpowered compared to snipers. Not as good healers as sorcerers, not as good stealth as assassins, not as good dps as snipers.

2. I love the stealth but wish that you got a bonus to damage on exiting stealth. (Like a backstab bonus. ) A little healing is nice but won't keep you alive long. Needs more focus on hit and run abilities?

Healer (PVE)

1. I think we are viewed as fairly competent healers in the raid environment, with average raid healing (aoe) and above average single target healing.

2. So far I enjoy healing Operations, and I like the balance of Tactical Advantages, how I gain them, and what I use them on. I feel like my AOE healing is slow, but that's okay.