Soa - 3rd phase- Crystals that drop

I consider myself a very good player. been tanking for 16 years since EQ...

Is there a better way to know you are under the darn crystal so it hits the boss?

Im panned out 100%.. i run to where the crystal comes from so that I can better follow it but... damn... I am like 75% or so which is good but you cant miss if you want to win..

Anyone do anything different or have any tricks? I am told people standing far back can see it better..

Is there a better way to know you are under the darn crystal so it hits the boss?

Im panned out 100%.. i run to where the crystal comes from so that I can better follow it but... damn... I am like 75% or so which is good but you cant miss if you want to win..

Anyone do anything different or have any tricks? I am told people standing far back can see it better..

Try to max the camera distance and use and angle of the camera to your advantatge, its not easy

Another option is that one of your friends guides you via voice chat :)

Any way you do it you are going to have a hard time. Our guild mostly guides the tank via voice chat if he is a little off. It is also important to note that this boss does have a bug where even if the floating pillar hits him he will not drop his shield. When this happens the boss will drop to his knee like normal, but only for a split second and then return to his shielded phase.

You don't even need to change the camera, that's only for people who can't make the effort.

The real problem is simply delay. You can have him directly underneath the sphere, as well as held there for a moment without any further movement, and he won't drop shield for another good three seconds.

And every second you're not moving, you're one second closer to being hit by the electrical mobs.

That's how the mechanic is intended and in itself inherently flawed. Nor is it consistent.

First attempt may see you put the sphere over him and instantaneously his shield drops. And then maybe the next time, you have to hold him there a second and then it works. On the furthering attempt, you can roll a cigarette and he'll still not drop the shield and you lose the sphere. Or it may be instantaneous.

Thus the concept of 'calling it out' is a bit pointless. Damage dealers are plenty capable of destroying mind traps while keeping an eye on where the boss is in relation to the spheres and make their way over accordingly. If you blindly follow the tank's guesstimate, in accordance with the inconsistency of the shield dropping, you'll often have melee damage dealers standing around doing nothing for several seconds when they could be breaking people out of mind traps.

This encounter will only come into balance when they increase the range/circumference of the spheres and the consistency of the shield down.

Edited by Ranebow

Very easy actually. Only took me a couple tries to figure it out and now I land all of them with no input from my raid members which allows them to focus on mind traps and lightning. Before the crystal appears, you should tank him right in the middle so you can easily run to any side. Then bring him back to the center after every crystal.

First, make sure you can zoom out all the way (you did this!)

Second, I keep it level so I can quickly spin the camera and watch for the crystals (sounds like you can spot them fine though)

Third, when I see one I run in that direction and spin the camera so that the crystal is behind me when I'm facing Soa. Also, angle it down. If the camera was pointing straight down it would be at a 90 degree angle with the floor, you're looking to get it at about 70-75 degrees. At this point you should be able to see the crystal "behind" you (it basically fills the screen). Now it gets a little tricky to explain but if the camera is aligned correctly Soa's head will line up with the bottom of the crystal. That's how you know he's there.

Basically, it's easiest to line the camera up pointing at the center and bring Soa directly back into it then trying to run to the right or left of the crystal and pull him over. Easier for me, at least.

First attempt may see you put the sphere over him and instantaneously his shield drops. And then maybe the next time, you have to hold him there a second and then it works. On the furthering attempt, you can roll a cigarette and he'll still not drop the shield and you lose the sphere. Or it may be instantaneous.

No offense, but it sounds like you don't understand how it works. Bringing him under the crystal does nothing. After a set period of time, the crystal falls onto him. How long you stand there depends entirely on how fast you were at getting him under the crystal in the first place. If you got him under it almost immediately, you'll be standing there waiting. If you barely made it, it'll seem instant.

He's certainly buggy (he likes to despawn for some reason) but I've only had one instance where I was sure he was lined up correctly and he just seemed to ignore it. In the end, it certainly could have been my error.

As for the ball lightning, your OT can hit these once or taunt and force them to chase him. We adopted this strategy at some point and he was able to keep the lightning from ever getting near our raid members.

Edited by AsinineTangent