Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I guess the level of Guild planning will be :

We might get a chance to go to another server at some point soon, if so, take it so we have more people to play with.

Clearly Bioware will be respecting server types (imagine the complaints if we got moved from PvE to PvP or visa versa), there is no other reasonable option.

I guess the one thing Bioware cannot currently account for is how many people might come back for the move, which may significantly skew the numbers. It'll be interesting, lack of numbers on any given planet seems to be the biggest issue of the game to me.

The loss of names etc is a big deal, but it could add months of time re-writing the game to have a different uniqueness (Name + Surname, maybe), and recoding everything to use it. Months during which servers are dead and players are leaving. This is the lesser of two evils for me.

Some people will never be happy.

This is a welcome change, and should be the #1 priority to ensure the longevity of the game. All the quality-of-life changes in the world won't help if there are only 3 people in the Fleet.

Agreed.

I just want all my characters in one place that I re-rolled to.

Apparently, I'll have to pay to do so later on. . . .hopefully there's a discount. :rolleyes:

Also, wow @ not retaining the legacy name. /adds to disappointment list

In the case of Legacy names, unless you have unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, you will need to rename your Legacy upon transfer (although you may pick the same Legacy name as on your origin server, if available)

You can, if it's available.

Although, and yes I'm going to keep preaching this, it would be less painful if BioWare would separate surnames from the Legacy name, and allowed them on a non-unique, per-character basis!

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Many, if not most people have already rerolled on other servers that are more populated so that they can play the game with others instead of waiting for hours to do a warzone or flashpoint. They did this in the hopes that they would be able to bring their main characters along later on and be able to keep their higher legacy, plus add their new character on their new server to that legacy.

Sometimes, hope can be crushed.

It's also been common practice in several games to handle player funneling that way, so it was to be expected since at least March when people really started getting vocal about ghost servers.

But look at it that way: You don't lose anything compared to now. The communities on the servers you are playing on now will still be there. So the expected case is that you have two servers with viable populations to play on. Look at it another way: what if you had 8 characters on each of two servers, and one was being funneled to the other, would you be here complaining that you don't get 16 character slots? If you created characters with the same name on both, would you be complaining that you need to rename them?

Yes, this is a desperate measure. But it's a needed measure which will strengthen the game again. Play the game, or if it depresses you too much or makes you rally angry, don't.

Here is my take on things.

Low Population Servers

Alpha

Beta

Gamma

Delta

Epsilon

Zeta

Those on the 6 Low population (Origin) servers above will be paired with 2 Destination Servers

Eta

Theta

So everyone on Beta,Gamma,Delta,Epsilon and Zeta can transfer to Eta, or Theta.

The number of Origin/Destination servers are probably different and will change as BW get a better idea of how things are progressing.

I made a diagram.

Transfers Diagram In Layman's Terms

[...]

Many, if not most people have already rerolled on other servers that are more populated so that they can play the game with others instead of waiting for hours to do a warzone or flashpoint. They did this in the hopes that they would be able to bring their main characters along later on and be able to keep their higher legacy, plus add their new character on their new server to that legacy. Now you are saying that probably won't happen.[...]

Pretty much this, and yes it will happen later but you will have to pay for it.

Why give something that actually works, is well thought out and is fully featured for free when you can give a limited version now and charge for additional features later.

yes call me cynic or QQer, still ...

Some people will never be happy.

This is a welcome change, and should be the #1 priority to ensure the longevity of the game. All the quality-of-life changes in the world won't help if there are only 3 people in the Fleet.

There will be 3 peple in the fleet (or less) on the origin servers so you may as well transfer to the 1 choice you have. They really should just merge servers if this is how they are going to do the transfers.

QUESTION: If i move Character A (from my main server) to a Destination server, can i move Character B, C, D, etc., from Fatman to the same Destination server? What about all other characters that are spread out across different servers?

they said you will not find your toon transfured form a pve to a pvp but what if that is what you want?

tough, basically, poorly thought out on BW part, i too have the same dilemma

I guess they thought the same thing I did - why didn't you start or re-roll on a PvP server to begin with, then? I certainly don't blame them for not having the foresight that certain players themselves appear not to have had.

This is a bad idea as well.

They should merge servers to preserve communities/guilds etc. This is the best answer. Once the server pops stabilize then allow a paid transfer service to be implemented. The only reason this isnt happening is because of "bad press", which is asinine because SWTOR is swimming in bad press as it is.

And forcing players to move servers via a merger is a bad idea as well. This is the best option as it allows them to build their mega-servers through targeted transfers, but does not force players or guilds to do something that they have no desire to do, especially when it could cause more problems with character and naming conflicts.

Seriously. Waste of time. What the hell happened to free transfers where ever people want to go? So what if it ends up with server queues, then people will move elsewhere. So this really is just another money grab by forcing people to pay for transfers to where they actually want to go.

My sub is running out soon and while I am enjoying leveling a Jedi Knight on Fatman there is no way I will be paying to run up legacy levels on him because you won't let me move my existing legacy, that is stuck on Veela, over to Fatman to be with him.

First, they never said that the free transfers would be without limits - every Q&A that addressed it indicated that only targeted transfers would be free with paid for player choice transfers coming later. Which means you may be able to transfer to Fatman at some point - it could still very well be a destination server since they also talked about raising server caps to avoid queue times.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

No game has ever put senority in place when it comes to names. It'd be an extremely huge PR nightmare...the rage alone from those screwed over because some people moved onto their servers would be massive. JUst plan on changes to your names to something that'd make you happy. That is if your Destination server is one you are happy to go to...I hav ea feeling i'm about to get F'd in the A.

That I know of, no, not for transfers. But let's be honest, this is a thinly disguised server merger. And when THOSE happen, prioritization has happened. Specifically, I'm thinking SOE with EQ2. I don't know about other games, but it went relatively smoothly there. As long as there were a hard cutoff for when priority could go to the incoming character, I don't see that it would be much of an issue.

Can someone explain to me how this will work?

Everyone wants to go to a higher populated server, then who will ever go from high to lowly populated ones?

Won't this just imbalance things even more?

Edited by Peaceguard

Pretty much this, and yes it will happen later but you will have to pay for it.

Why give something that actually works, is well thought out and is fully featured for free when you can give a limited version now and charge for additional features later.

yes call me cynic or QQer, still ...

Can't argue this. To me it's a slap in the face to those who rerolled instead of unsubbing. They should at least make it so you could transfer your characters from your old dead server to your new populated server(fatman for example) if you either already have a 50 or legacy level "X" on your destination server.

There will be 3 peple in the fleet (or less) on the origin servers so you may as well transfer to the 1 choice you have. They really should just merge servers if this is how they are going to do the transfers.

This process essentially DOES merge servers - X number of servers transfers to 1 new server. The only aspect of it not being a merge is if people elect to not move, which is then on them.

Can't argue this. To me it's a slap in the face to those who rerolled instead of unsubbing. They should at least make it so you could transfer your characters from your old dead server to your new populated server(fatman for example) if you either already have a 50 or legacy level "X" on your destination server.

You can, just not any time soon and not for free.

Here is my take on things.

Low Population Servers

Alpha

Beta

Gamma

Delta

Epsilon

Zeta

Those on the 6 Low population (Origin) servers above will be paired with 2 Destination Servers

Eta

Theta

So everyone on Beta,Gamma,Delta,Epsilon and Zeta can transfer to Eta, or Theta.

The number of Origin/Destination servers are probably different and will change as BW get a better idea of how things are progressing.

I made a diagram.

Transfers Diagram In Layman's Terms

Wrong. Each of those will have ONE destination server. More likley would be Eta only for Alpha Beta and Gamma. Then Delta, Epsilon and Zeta would end up going to Theta. If Theta or Eta gets to the point where it gets to the numbers BW wants to see as the limits, then they would go to a different server Limbo. So if all your guildies trnasfer right away and you are last on the list, you may not end up with them as there is also no way to transfer a guild, even if the entire guild signs off on it.

Can someone explain to me how this will work?

Everyone wants to go to a higher populated server, then how will ever go from high to lowly populated ones?

Won't this just imbalance things even more?

I would expect they will take say a group of 10 low pop servers. Designate 1-2 as a destination server and have the other 8 transfer to it making 1-2 more populated servers.

So you really have the "choice" to stay on a server alone or to have your characters transfered to a server that is probably not the server you want to go to.

Many, if not most people have already rerolled on other servers that are more populated so that they can play the game with others instead of waiting for hours to do a warzone or flashpoint. They did this in the hopes that they would be able to bring their main characters along later on and be able to keep their higher legacy, plus add their new character on their new server to that legacy. Now you are saying that probably won't happen. Grats on another major patch causing the exodus of more players.

So your saying Bioware should make it a free for all so you can get all of your characters on one server and end up with one or two full servers with queue times in the hours to get in .......BRILLIANT!

The way they are doing things is fine for this INITIAL phase. I will get us back to playing the game, Later they will most likely allow you to transfer wherever you want with however many of your characters as you want. If they do that initially it would be a class A fubar. Let them handle this in phases, consolidation of the player base first, then allow you to consolidate your characters on a single server if you choose to do that. Trying to do it all at once will cause more problems than taking it slow.

As awesome as this feature is, I am dissapointed that there will only be one server to choose to transfer to for each server since my guild was considering changing to an East Coast server because we have many people in the east. Well heres hoping that better transfer services coming soon than later and that they wont be as outrageously expensive as those given by Blizz Edited by Vroop