When is someone going to ask the number 1 questions pvpers want to know?

troyh

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he just say the PVP game will NOT be neglected in the same post he said something that was promised in 1.1 (solo que for ranked) isn't going to be coming in 1.4?

Did he just say that 8 people pre-mades vs. 8 PUGs would be a problem in a game where 2 four man pre-mades vs. 8 PUGs is already the norm?

I honestly don't get it.

Statement: I like how you're asking for this. Because it's ALMOST silly. Vanguard DPS isn't all that powerful anymore. We got our nerf. Powertechs on the other hand... are still really powerful.

Ahahah, hilarious really, both are OP and BOTH need a nerf + sentinels/marauders.

World PvP that gives rewards other then the pleasure of the PvP, is still faux PvP as far as I am concerned.

If I have to hand out chicklets to get you to do open world PvP.... something is broken.... the player base.

Warhammer which was open PVP was pretty impressive however flawed. The major flaw was EA and the current lead developer that is now running the direction of this game. Just as many people flocked to Warhammer as they did TOR. Warhammer had a very interesting dynamic and overall cool feel to pvp. Keep battles, seiges, city warfare were pretty incredible but never worked due to EA rushing the game just like they did this one. Overall you can have a sandbox and a themepark too. The balance was already there until they killed healing and made overall horrible changes in 1.2 Anyway this game could of been incredible if they gave some reason not to sit on fleet and wait for the same WZ's to pop

Can't really blame the publisher for bad games (which this is not), unless they came up with a ridiculous concept and forced a developer studio to make it. It would like blaming a publisher for a bad book. The publisher doesn't really tell them how to make it. They just tell them what is and isn't acceptable.

If the publisher sets a release date and then misses it, its a big no-no because of advertising commitments etc. They would also have to relaunch the ads with a new release date etc and many "guaranteed" sales could potentially be lost in the shuffle with this type of release date confusion. Missed sales + extra ad costs = bad

Its standard practice (when necessary) to ship any game on a PC platform knowing fully well the customers will require a download/update to play. This even happens sometimes with console games, which is worse. The "release version" dev cycle could end a good month before the game releases, at which point they are already working on the DL-able patch before the game is even being manufactured.

The greatness or failure of this game is sqare in the hands of BW. EA calls the shots as far as major changes like F2P and asking for new content...but BW are the creative artists who make the game. EA are the office guys who stack the chips and advertise.

Edited by DarthBloodloss

Hey everyone! I don't have answers to all the questions in the OP and throughout the thread, but I'll keep them coming as I'm able to. Here are a couple I got answers for after talking to Rob Hinkle (Senior PvP Designer).

Ancient Hypergates will be available in the Ranked Warzones queue as soon as it's in-game; no wait for it to get added.

Regarding queuing as an 8-player team for non-ranked Warzones: We won't say "never," but we don't have plans for this right now. We want to try to keep the regular Warzones competitive in their own right, and allowing full pre-mades to potentially match with a full PUG could be problematic. We'd want to avoid situations like that.

For Ranked Warzones and queuing with less than 8 players: This is something we have plans for, but we haven't announced a timeframe for it (it won't be available in 1.4).

About Season 1: Right now, we have a little more work that needs to be done overall before we're ready to officially kick it off, and I can tell you that it won't be launched as part of 1.4. We'll keep you updated! The PvP game won't be neglected - we do have Ancient Hypergates on the way as well as new PvP gear, and we have a lot more in store for you!

Thx for some of the answers Allison.

However, any info about choosing the warzone? Or, at least the reason behind not letting people do this? I mean normal warzones. I don't mind this in rateds, but it sucks when you can't play Huttball when you really want to!

- 4 people enough to ruin balance in a specific warzone? People can still queue and get a warzone they 'tried' to get by luck, or leaving unwanted warzones. So I don't think this should be a problem. Even then, how about the Solo Queue? Maybe the same sort of system could be implemented into Warzone queus that the LFG tool already has. That is, let people choose the warzone they want, mark their role (DPS/Heal/Tank), and let the system make balanced teams (Like 2 tanks, 2 heales, and 4 DPS).

Thx.

Edited by SneiK

Yeah me and my guildies managed to get both our 4 man teams into the same non-ranked WZ while we were waiting for ranked to pop. We briefly considered /gquiting at the beginning of the match just to lessen the outrage of the poor team that went against us. It was bad. And I genuinely felt bad for our opponents. Crushing pugs is not a recipe for long term WZ population.

Very true. I have a strong inclination that those who don't see why premades trouncing pug's as a long term issue, are generally ones that don't pug themselves. It's good to see some people recognizing this problem. I premade as well as pug often. It's not fun for either side.

Running in a premade, I don't find much fun in steam rolling the other team because they are obviously not as coordinated. Or often, not as geared. Being on the other side of this in a PUG, it is excrutiating to watch sometimes. You have these recruits, casuals, or just folks trying to gear getting destroyed. They aren't having fun. They aren't happy. And I know alot who have given up on pvp and even the game. Something so completely lopsided should not be like this.

It's not the fault of the players wanting to play with friends. However, it is BW's fault for not approaching this problem sooner. I understand that this could only be resolved if cross server is implemented. But this change is a long time coming.

You asked "when", implying it was removed.

Remedial English ftw!

Nope once again your brain is tricking you,

When meant: when are they going to add it to the game.

Because, in case you are wondering, Illum wasn't even world PvP but just a bigger instance.

I don't think this game will ever see open world pvp. The engine simply can't handle it (as anyone that ever participated in Illum would know).

The best you can hope for is they put caps on the "worlds".. or instance them.. in which case what you have is just a slightly larger warzone.

Sorry OP fail post. It's missing the #1 question:

......World PvP when?

damn right.

well its hard till impossible to balance numbers with the 2 "factions" weve got but at least something like a "declare war" option on other guilds and a planet where these guilds can fight for resources and territory would be something.

and gawd, who the f**** came up with the idea to seperate the lvling zones on PvP servers? right now its like we have 2 diff worlds on each planet. okay gankers and griefers might be a prob for some carebears but hey thats why we have pvp server and its not like someone has to worry about anything if he dies. U CAN NOT LOOSE ANY GEAR IF U DIE!

Edited by rlionherz

Nope once again your brain is tricking you,

When meant: when are they going to add it to the game.

Because, in case you are wondering, Illum wasn't even world PvP but just a bigger instance.

Get crushed, Pistols!

They are giving us a new warzone and have stated that they will be bringing out new ones on a more frequent basis so I am satisfied with that info.. but the questions I want to know pertain to the current state of pvp and failure of ranked war zones.

They can introduce as many warzones they want but if there is not a better pvp balance than this crap we got going on atm, then no new wz is gonna make pvp more fun!

Fix whats broken first instead of adding more golden poo on top of the excisting!

I don't think a full 8 player premade should ever be able to queue against a pug group...that will just cause people to quit queuing for wzs out of frustration.

They should just imitate Blizzard and mimic the "turn xp off" thing for PvP, except apply it to Premades. Premades only end up in WZs with other premades. It's not a difficult check to do, considering you can link it right to the queue button...

If Allison is saying that solo queue'ing would be allowed in Ranked (without their own bracket), but 8 man groups not allowed in Regulars, I'm just going to have a big laugh.

Why would you be against solo Q for ranked because it is not competitive but be in favor of 8-man non-ranked which is likewise non-competitive? What Bioware is doing makes perfect sense because you choose to go up against premades in Ranked whereas non-ranked should be more casual friendly. So if you want to try the advanced bracket solo (and I would) you are free to get stomped.

Additionally, solo queuing for ranked without their own bracket will work. A premade of 6 can now join ranked and be put with a few solo players. Obviously you could get a team of 8 solos but i don't think that is the goal.

Edited by richardya

Why would you be against solo Q for ranked because it is not competitive but be in favor of 8-man non-ranked which is likewise non-competitive? What Bioware is doing makes perfect sense because you choose to go up against premades in Ranked whereas non-ranked should be more casual friendly. So if you want to try the advanced bracket solo (and I would) you are free to get stomped.

Additionally, solo queuing for ranked without their own bracket will work. A premade of 6 can now join ranked and be put with a few solo players. Obviously you could get a team of 8 solos but i don't think that is the goal.

allowing solo queued players into ranked warzones is going to destroy the level of competition for high level teams, just as it has in regular warzones. please remember that high level premades are not mindless machines and that they do enjoy competition that forces them to work for their wins; if the competition goes away, so do these players

there needs to be a separate queue for solo queuing rateds only for this to work.

Allison could you please try to answer these two questions for us:

1. Will we eventually be able to queue for specific warzones (non-ranked)?

2. What type of class balancing is on the way for 1.4? We have heard nothing and some could use a buff, to put them on the level with most advanced classes.

Edited by Hairyzac

allowing solo queued players into ranked warzones is going to destroy the level of competition for high level teams, just as it has in regular warzones. please remember that high level premades are not mindless machines and that they do enjoy competition that forces them to work for their wins; if the competition goes away, so do these players

there needs to be a separate queue for solo queuing rateds only for this to work.

Most likely Cashogy, it would be just like normal wzs now except with rated comms awarded at the end. A full ranked team of 8 q'ing together would always be placed against another full ranked team of 8. It would possibly even be a separate queue system.

Allison could you please try to answer these two questions for us:

1. Will we eventually be able to queue for specific warzones?

I will answer this, They will never do this. They do not want huttball to be all knights & warriors, they do not want VS to be all PT's. People would gravitate towards the WZ's that their classes have an advantage in and ruin every WZ.

allowing solo queued players into ranked warzones is going to destroy the level of competition for high level teams

You make perfect sense but they have to weigh that against the queue times.

If the people queuing for ranked is light because of difficulty in getting 8 man teams they will be forced to allow it.

I will answer this, They will never do this. They do not want huttball to be all knights & warriors, they do not want VS to be all PT's. People would gravitate towards the WZ's that their classes have an advantage in and ruin every WZ.

I respectfully disagree. First of all when I am q'ing with 1-3 other friends for normal wzs, I do not have the power nor the ability to turn them into the OP classes for games such as Huttball (also you forgot to list sorcerers). I like Huttball but a lot of people do not. I will queue Huttball with any composition if I am able to choose it because it is fun to play. I'm positive everyone else will do the same. No one is going to stack classes for normal wzs. That is what ranked matches are for.

Also do not forget, a lot of people just play the OP fotm classes anyway. And those classes stay OP no matter what wz you are in usually.

An easy example for you would be world of warcraft. You can choose to queue for specific battlegrounds as long as it isn't a rated match. No one has any qualms with that. This is how I would like to see it implemented into swtor.

Edited by Hairyzac

I have read just about every bit of information I can about upcoming content and changes, especially for PvP. Here are the answers to your questions as far as I'm aware:

1. BW mentioned there weould be XServer in 1.4, but now have retracted that. Atm, there will be no XServer in 1.4.

2. The last bit of info I saw said there will be single-player queuing in RWZs. How this will be done, I have no idea.

3. Yes. Season One RWZs will commence with 1.4, even without XServer queues.

In BW's response above they say "season 1 is coming after the 1.4 release". BW says nothing about cross-server. As far as I can tell, saying nothing about cross-server queues after it has been repeatedly asked about means they are indeed planning for a season 1 without cross server queues. This makes me sad as I think player pool is the biggest problem for rated.

Edited by funkiestj