Assassin DPS in PVE using Madness Spec. Advice Please

Schlepty

I've done some reading and research and I feel as though I am definitely under performing as my assassin dps and would like some opinions on stats/spec/rotation

Here are my stats fully buffed

Melee

Damage Primary: 1106-1308

Bonus Damage: 702.1

Accuracy: 98.97

Crit Chance: 37.04

Crit Multiplier: 74.98

Force

Bonus Damage 1005.1

Accuracy 108.97

Crit Chance: 36.2

Crit Multiplier: 74.98

I am specced 5/5/31 and like the combination of defense, self healing, and dps.

I think alot of my dps problems are stemming from getting used to this toon as I had been raiding as a Jugg and I am still messing up my rotation sometimes and am not perfect. I have done some reading online about rotation and skill priorities but I see alot of dps claims of 1700+ dps and 2k+ dps (on other classes mainly). Now on a dummy of course I put up great numbers.

Last time I checked when i had much less gear I was doing 1650 on the dummy for 5min+ no problem. When i get into ops of course that number drops. A lot of fights are situational for melee dps that need to be configured in certain areas to utilize abilities like maul.

I want to continually improve and so far I have on encounters i've done multiple times. Right now my guild is on Dread Guard in HM and I usuallly put up 1400+ dps for phase 1 and 2. We are about to beat phase 3 just have not punched through yet (hopefully tonight we will).

Any advice on stats i need to change up or spec? I think i have a decent rotation but I feel even if i plan a rotation often times you have to adapt to the fight at hand. I understand you want to keep the dots up and utilize death fields damage increase as well as using maul on proc and crushing darkness on procs. Shock seems to be crap for dps so i've been weening myself off of it as of late. The force cost is just too great when Thrash will do just as much damage or more most of the time.

I don't have any insight for you but i wanted to ask if you could post an askmrrobot.com profile with your gear. Thanks. :D

How's your deception DPS? I find i'm doing more DPS on operation dummy in that spec than i am in madness.

P.S. I'm also interested in a madness rotation.

Edited by ipagex

Gear Profile >>>http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/51cc3fd7-0095-4629-9522-cff8fc35fea2

My head and feet armoring both have 49 Endurance and 68 Willpower but I could not find that version of the campaign stalker armoring on their for the head/feet.

Deception dps seems to be less than what i am getting out of madness.

I copied this next part from this post http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=588878

I follow this as best I can.

The basic Madness Rotation goes as follows:

Discharge

Creeping Terror

Trash (To Proc Raze, if there are no procs proceed to the next step.)

Death Field

Trash (Only do this if Raze has not been procced)

Crushing Darkness

Shock (Intitial Rotation only, reapply after buff falls off. Do not spam, this costs a massive amount of force to sustain.)

Trashx2

Saber Strike

Assassinate (Target Below 30%)

Maul (Exploit Weakness Proc Only)

This is the basic rotation for madness. Reapply DoTs after you see the buffs fall off, or you will experience a drop in dps due to cutting off DoT ticks. Use Deathfield on cooldown and save raze procs until Deathfield comes off cooldown again.

Edited by Schlepty

First, drop accuracy enhancements and use some power. I didn't check your askmrobot profile - but if you don't have the hazmat implants yet then that will solve your accuracy problem for the most part. Since none HAVE accuracy like the black hole ones.

I run basically the same spec, except i dont bother with thrashing blades and instead go for a lowered cooldown on force speed. I find that to be very handy in a raid where there is so much movement.

Make sure you have the dread guard power click reclic - and probably the elemental proc one if you dont already.

To start a fight - I usually pop recklnessness + overcharge saber + dread guard power relic. I discharge + creeping terror + Deathfield then thrash - if maul procs, maul, if raze procs raze. Watch the boss bar for your dishcharge + creeping terror, and refresh after they fall off.

As for shock, i typically only use it when I have full force - so after I get some deathmark force regen.

First, drop accuracy enhancements and use some power. I didn't check your askmrobot profile - but if you don't have the hazmat implants yet then that will solve your accuracy problem for the most part. Since none HAVE accuracy like the black hole ones.

I run basically the same spec, except i dont bother with thrashing blades and instead go for a lowered cooldown on force speed. I find that to be very handy in a raid where there is so much movement.

Make sure you have the dread guard power click reclic - and probably the elemental proc one if you dont already.

To start a fight - I usually pop recklnessness + overcharge saber + dread guard power relic. I discharge + creeping terror + Deathfield then thrash - if maul procs, maul, if raze procs raze. Watch the boss bar for your dishcharge + creeping terror, and refresh after they fall off.

As for shock, i typically only use it when I have full force - so after I get some deathmark force regen.

I found that there is a DPS increase when you weave in Reklessness + Force Lighting x 2 in your rotation. You must have all your abilities on cooldown and your DoTs refreshed. You do not want to be channelling FL when DF becomes available and also have your DoTs fall off. Can anyone comment/second the use of Recklessness for 2 FLs?

PS I havent done that much parsing. My sin is mostly a tank.

Edited by paowee

Hey, I dont know if you use SimC calculator, but I have been playing around with it, and it has been spot on with the number crunching, I plugged in your profile with your Askmrrobot profile, and it said your assassin is capable of 1800+ dps in a 4-6 minute fight, I dont want to discourage or give false hope, but it hasn't let me down yet, may be something you want to look into for untapped potential. Good luck, I'm going to play around with my assassin and see what i come up with.

Your crit is way too high. Self heals aren't that important in PvE like PvP. You need more power. Also if you can learn to use madness in a PvP environment you'll be dominating the spec. Also don't get down at all. Realize that this is the hardest spec in game currently.

I run 7/3/31 for maximum damage.

Your job is to dps and not to worry about defense.