What is there to like about Anakin Skywalker

DavieDe

Having just watched the films again I realised the reason I don't like the prequels is because I just don't see anything good about Anakin, he seems to have no likeable qualities at all,

You can really feel for Luke, Han and Leia in the originals and Vader really comes across as evil but Anakin just come across as meh you really don't care what happens to him , Does anyone else find that there is just nothing worth caring about in Anakin?

I think there are some things in the prequels that give an idea of what he's going through. Leaving his mother, finding her again, only to have her die in his arms, his feelings for padme and how they conflict with the jedi way, what he sees as a betrayal by the jedi. These are all things that could help us connect with him, the trouble is, I don't think they were written very well, so didn't come across well on screen.

Anakin is meant to be more a tragic character, but the movies don't capture this very well and he just comes off as whiny. The novelisations of Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith do a much better job of showing him in as a flawed character (especially ROTS. Stover does such an awesome job in that). Most of the other novels show him to be a very caring individual to those who are also unconditionally compassionate. The Clone Wars TV show does a good job of that, too, despite it's childish appearance.

I do agree that he is meant to be a tragic figure but the films focus to much on his love and his failings and not enough on his supposed goodness, you don't get to see his compassion, when his mother dies he slaughters children in revenge which I myself think was a bad point to show this, i believe the first two movies should have focused more on his tragic past and his goodness and him resisting the dark side but as it is when he killed all the sand people you dont feel sorry for him its just a meh moment , your just not given a reason to truly care about him

It probably would have worked better if it had been written to show Anakin struggling more, rather than always giving in to the Dark Side. It would have been cool to see more manipulation by Palpatine that eventually pulls Anakin to the Dark Side. You know... make it more subtle than just, "I know everything about you and I can help save your secret pregnant wife if you just slaughter a few hundred jedi."

It probably would have worked better if it had been written to show Anakin struggling more, rather than always giving in to the Dark Side. It would have been cool to see more manipulation by Palpatine that eventually pulls Anakin to the Dark Side. You know... make it more subtle than just, "I know everything about you and I can help save your secret pregnant wife if you just slaughter a few hundred jedi."

Well he was being manipulated throughout all EP 3, and he was struggling trying to decide what to do with Palpatine going all "do it! do it do it!" with Dooku/Mace as well as a few other scenes he was trying to keep himself sane.

But ah anyway, I rather like Anakin because he is one of those tragic heroes. He shows that every man, can have insecurities about themselves that they can't do anything they want, they have a hard time letting go of certain things. That temptation can be very powerful to use on someone, who has nowhere else to turn and have no options left for him.

I seem to recall one scene in episode 3 when he was walking with Obi-Wan and he basically apologized for being such a pain in the butt padawan. At that point I kinda felt for him a little.

Having just watched the films again I realised the reason I don't like the prequels is because I just don't see anything good about Anakin, he seems to have no likeable qualities at all,

You can really feel for Luke, Han and Leia in the originals and Vader really comes across as evil but Anakin just come across as meh you really don't care what happens to him , Does anyone else find that there is just nothing worth caring about in Anakin?

Anakin is really the only character I understand the most.

He 100% accomplishes the Greek Tragedy vibe that the PT was trying to do.

I seem to recall one scene in episode 3 when he was walking with Obi-Wan and he basically apologized for being such a pain in the butt padawan. At that point I kinda felt for him a little.

He did. He apologized fo rthe way he was acting and that he should have treated Obi-wan better. After that it was just his fear of Padme dying (which is natural) that drove him to act the way he did during the rest of the film.

Edited by Eillack