23/1/17 with dps gear. Tank or dmg for fps till 50 ?

Pathlight-

I'm currently building toward a hybrid build (23/1/17) and stacking dps stats (wp>pw>surge>crit>end). I'm level 37 and have been able to do all the fps so far as a tank. However I'm not sure if I can do so till 50. I'm mostly into pvp but I run them for gear, however I'm not sure if I'll be viable as a tank till 50.

Sounds good, at least I can blame it on him if we wipe :D thanks

So you are going to act as a complete A-hole towards the rest of the group?

It is because of jerks like you that most mmo games have a bad community.

If you "tank" in dps gear, then you really should at the very least freely admit that each and every wipe that ever happens is your own fault.

You can if the healer is good

Also this is only half the truth.

Especially when clearing trash, a good dps can affect the chances of the group staying alive even more than a healer can.

1. Use your 60s cc on the right target and don't brake it early

2. Use other control abilities well (short stuns, knockbacks and so on) to minimize the incoming damage

3. INTERUPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Always, always, ALWAYS kill the weakest mobs in a group first to more quickly reduce the number of mobs you are in combat with and therefore reduce the incoming damage

5. In general kill everything really fast

Doing all that perfectly and you would not even need a healer at all, except for some bosses.

But most people tend to fail in all of the above and then blame the healer.

So you are going to act as a complete A-hole towards the rest of the group?

It is because of jerks like you that most mmo games have a bad community.

If you "tank" in dps gear, then you really should at the very least freely admit that each and every wipe that ever happens is your own fault.

Sarcasm. Learn it.

Sarcasm

It isn't.

Just about every mmo is full of jerks who do stupid things in group content (tanking in full dps gear being one of the more common examples) and then proceed to blame other people for failures they themselves caused.

I don't really object that people "tank" without being proper tanks in leveling content if they are at least honest about it and take the blame when something goes wrong, since despite being inconsiderate to the rest of the group in some ways, it does make the queue faster for all group members which is good.

However the one thing I hate most of all above all else in mmo games are these jerks who queue as tanks while wearing dps gear, and then cause wipes (which most likely would not have happened if they had been proper tanks) and then proceed to blame other people for something that was their own fault.

If you tank in dps gear and make it through without problems, good for you.

However if something fails, you should freely admit that it was your own fault for tanking in dps gear, and not blame other people.

The fact that you even feel appropriate to make jokes about blaming the healer, makes me think you just might be one of those people who does that for real.

It isn't.

Just about every mmo is full of jerks who do stupid things in group content (tanking in full dps gear being one of the more common examples) and then proceed to blame other people for failures they themselves caused.

I don't really object that people "tank" without being proper tanks in leveling content if they are at least honest about it and take the blame when something goes wrong, since despite being inconsiderate to the rest of the group in some ways, it does make the queue faster for all group members which is good.

However the one thing I hate most of all above all else in mmo games are these jerks who queue as tanks while wearing dps gear, and then cause wipes (which most likely would not have happened if they had been proper tanks) and then proceed to blame other people for something that was their own fault.

If you tank in dps gear and make it through without problems, good for you.

However if something fails, you should freely admit that it was your own fault for tanking in dps gear, and not blame other people.

The fact that you even feel appropriate to make jokes about blaming the healer, makes me think you just might be one of those people who does that for real.

Please keep your self righteous BS to yourself and get back on point. The smiley would have told any reader with an IQ higher than 20 that the remark wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Edited by Pathlight-

I did exactly this, and never had any problems with wiping or not being able to complete the fps. Done every one up to red reaper but haven't had the tIme to Que since that one became available. As long ssh you build tank tree first it shouldn't be a problem

I did exactly this, and never had any problems with wiping or not being able to complete the fps. Done every one up to red reaper but haven't had the tIme to Que since that one became available. As long ssh you build tank tree first it shouldn't be a problem

Sounds good. Thanks.

4. Always, always, ALWAYS kill the weakest mobs in a group first to more quickly reduce the number of mobs you are in combat with and therefore reduce the incoming damage

Please for all the tanks out there, remember that the above is EXACTLY what the DPS should be doing.

I had an "experienced" tank in team with me the other day in team tell the DPS multiple times "please attack my target or i will not be tanking anymore". Now this i would expect if we had multiple elites which were not CC'd however, we had 1 elite active, 2 strong and various other weak mobs in the area after the 4th time of him telling us this, I ended up telling him, "last time i checked, the DPS was supposed to kill off the weakest first while the tank soaks up the damage from the elites / champions. Less mobs pounding on you = less work the healer has to do in order to keep everyone alive."

23-1-17 is a pvp spec that is taking advantage of some defensive talents while staying in dps gear to get some descent damage out. 23-1-17 also has lots of utility with stuns, pulls, etc. The main reason this spec is successful in pvp is the amount of utility it has.

As far as tanking, there are two main abilities that you don't have that will severely reduce your effectiveness at 50. Wither and Dark Ward. Wither is a key ability for generating a great amount of aoe threat to hold multiple mobs for your group. It also ups your single target threat by a huge amount also. Dark Ward is a great talent for pve tanking because it ups your shield chance by a very large amount. We Assassin tanks don't mitigate a lot of damage through our armor or defense, it is our really high shield chance does our main defensive mitigation.

As far as pve, 23-1-17 is not going to give you the best damage out put. Deception and Madness do way more damage. Since maintaining a tanking and dps set through leveling is quite challenging I would just find the role you like doing the most (tank or damage) and go with that.

One more thing Id like to point out. 23-1-17 really isn't effective unless this whole build is in effect. Even if you are leveling mainly through War Zones you still wont see the benefit of this spec unless all talents are utilized. Again if you are in your 30's-40's I would max out one of the trees because those 31 pnt talents are going to be much stronger to help you level.

Please for all the tanks out there, remember that the above is EXACTLY what the DPS should be doing.

I had an "experienced" tank in team with me the other day in team tell the DPS multiple times "please attack my target or i will not be tanking anymore". Now this i would expect if we had multiple elites which were not CC'd however, we had 1 elite active, 2 strong and various other weak mobs in the area after the 4th time of him telling us this, I ended up telling him, "last time i checked, the DPS was supposed to kill off the weakest first while the tank soaks up the damage from the elites / champions. Less mobs pounding on you = less work the healer has to do in order to keep everyone alive."

Yep, that is correct. If the tank is pretty good, He should be able to keep aggro on the whole group anyway and focus down the weaker mobs with the dps while he keeps the elite mobs aggro'd. This is pretty easy considering that healing aggro is very low compared to tank or dps aggro.

I'm currently building toward a hybrid build (23/1/17) and stacking dps stats (wp>pw>surge>crit>end). I'm level 37 and have been able to do all the fps so far as a tank. However I'm not sure if I can do so till 50. I'm mostly into pvp but I run them for gear, however I'm not sure if I'll be viable as a tank till 50.

You should be fine as long as you have a legitimate Healer. My damn powertech in pyro and CGC tanked HM foundry with a merc in arsenal spec healing. Traditional tanking is really only needed for HM LI and the Operations. For sub 50 flashpoints, you should be fine "tanking" in dps gear.

Killing the easiest to kill mob first is something that sounds good in theory but rarely actually works because it's so obvious, you either can't pull it off by design mechanics or the encounter will be setup in a way that doing so yields no obvious benefit.

In fact, if you're walking into an encounter blind that features multiple mobs, the safest assumption would be to kill all of them at exactly the same time because of the prevalence of the 'kill this mob and the other guy gets angry' mechanism. It's actually kind of silly when you think about it.

Killing the easiest to kill mob first is something that sounds good in theory but rarely actually works because it's so obvious, you either can't pull it off by design mechanics or the encounter will be setup in a way that doing so yields no obvious benefit.

In fact, if you're walking into an encounter blind that features multiple mobs, the safest assumption would be to kill all of them at exactly the same time because of the prevalence of the 'kill this mob and the other guy gets angry' mechanism. It's actually kind of silly when you think about it.

I've never seen this mechanic in trash pulls. Boss fights yes but not trash pulls and I'm pretty sure that's what we are talking about here with kill the weak mobs first.

I've never seen this mechanic in trash pulls. Boss fights yes but not trash pulls and I'm pretty sure that's what we are talking about here with kill the weak mobs first.

Trash in general is designed so that you can just kill everything at the same time and still defeat them comfortably. But even trash, there's at least a few packs in Kragga's Palace where it's like an animal handler + some animal and if you kill the animal handler the animal gets angry, even though it's clear that the handler does more annoying things and should die first. It's probably less prevalent in FP compared to Operations. Of course I'm not saying killing the weakest mob isn't a good idea, but it just seems everything that's at all challenging has a 'how dare you apply strategy' mechanism so you might as well go in with the dumbest strategy possible, especially if you didn't know the encounter ahead of time.