HK-51 quest, sanity buffer overflow

After 3hrs of using that excavator and listening to the beep-beep-beep and not finding anything, i'm giving up. Stuff your HK quest to your BW rear parts!!!

I actually want to play game and not being driven crazy by some completely out-of-hand random mechanic.

Thank you :mad::mad::mad:

The mechanics are there to encourage teamwork (and grindy timesinks, MMO players love grindy timesinks)

HK-51 mission was not too ridiculous when the entire server was out looking for the parts, however now that most people have him, it is rare to find players actually looking for the parts.

And in that case, this mission is poorly designed as it was easily completed when it was new, but it has become and will become more and more of a royal PITA for those that try to complete it post the initial rush.

Edited by DawnAskham

Ah, kids today.

If this was the original Everquest each HK part when scanned would spawn a big nasty monster, requiring at least a full group to clear, and when cleared only the initial person scanning would get the part. Then that component would not spawn again for 48 hours +/- 12 hours.

Cheers,

Shaniquia

You're obviously looking at the wrong places. It took me half an hour to get all of them. Of course, I did it with another person, but if you know where they spawn it's absolutely fast and easy. The longest I was looking for one part was ~10 minutes on Taris, because I already started scanning in the middle of the road and not right beside the ship.

Ah, kids today.

If this was the original Everquest each HK part when scanned would spawn a big nasty monster, requiring at least a full group to clear, and when cleared only the initial person scanning would get the part. Then that component would not spawn again for 48 hours +/- 12 hours.

Cheers,

Shaniquia

Perhaps someday you will realize there is a reason no one makes those games anymore.

There was also a time when we traveled via horse and buggy, believed evil spirits made us sick, and thought that Atari 2600 had good graphics. Let it go, man, no one cares.

Perhaps someday you will realize there is a reason no one makes those games anymore.

That example is perhaps a bit extreme, but there is a cycle seen in today's game industry. It goes like this:

1. A company makes a game that's really hard

2. Hardcore gamers love it

3. The great masses rush in and complain about the hardness

4. The game gets nerfed

5. The hardcore gamers are disappointed and move on to the next game

However, hunting the HK parts is not genuinely hard, it's just tedious. Hard would be if every scan would give you some clue of where the component is, but it would be really hard to put those together to figure out the location. As it is, you simply have a low chance of being close enough with a scan. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 0.1%, given the size of the areas. After you hit within 25 metres, you can theoretically use a more sophisticated method to zero in on the component, but since there's no clear indicator of range (the expanding pulse from the device travels in the air, not along ground), there's still a fair amount of trial and error involved.

Edited by DataBeaver

I don't understand how someone can spend 3 hours looking for a part. All you have to do is be smart in how you scan. Just pay attention to the last ring you see when you scan, then move twice that length to the new spot if you have no lock. You cover a lot of ground that way in a very short amount of time.

Once you have a lock, scan around that area in a triangular pattern and you have that part in no time (if you have ever played eve-online, its exactly the same as trying to look for a wormhole only in that game it was harder as you had 3 dimensions to deal with instead of 2).

Again be smart in the way you scan. Don't just scan, move 5 meters forward and scan again.

Only took me about 15 minutes per planet per part, solo.

Not sure how that comment contributes to the thread, except to rub people's noses in it that they aren't doing as well.

Perhaps if you stated how you did each planet in 15 minutes, it would be more helpful.

Not sure how that comment contributes to the thread, except to rub people's noses in it that they aren't doing as well.

Perhaps if you stated how you did each planet in 15 minutes, it would be more helpful.

Perhaps if people started to figure how to do something, then search a HOW-TO and finally post and complain, then we would give hints.

I got HK on my first char when everybody was looking for the parts. Last week, I searched for the parts with my other chars, and I never needed more than a few hours to clean the entire quest (Section X+Theoritika+parts+last quest).

He's probably in the wrong spot, he probably never tried to check on the Net where the part spawns and probably never asked anybody for help.

Something being difficult is a good thing,in terms of say...a difficult puzzle where you have to use your brains,or a fight that takes knowledge of your class and abilities to beat...

The HK parts thing,is just lazy dev work,and a royal pita.Throw some puzzles at me,but don't make me trudge around for hours on end hoping to get lucky and land on the random placement of the part.I could not get anyone else to look for hk parts on 3 different days DURING PRIMETIME on taris,first day i spent 3 whole hours there,i kept my excavations ranges linked to the best of my ability,and covered the entire sinking city map,no dice.Anyway,i give up with it,waste of time.

Dont you have to unlock him by doing the quest on one toon first? Cuz If I could just unlock him that would be great.

I got all 5 searchable parts really fast all alone by going to where they were supposed to be and searching for them in a gridlike pattern over the area. I got each part within 15 min of arriving on a world. You just have to realize that its better to THOUROUGHLY search an area ONCE than to run all around with no plan. Just enter area, search, take a few steps, seach, repeat in gridlike pattern.over area.

The only problem now is I cant seem to get groups for the 2 flashpoints I need to do, which is odd cuz It seems like there is alot of people online...

Brimmer as much as it's a decent guide, the position of the part is RANDOM so you still gotta cover a lot of ground. Luckily I caught a couple of guys in the temple today and after 20 mins we found the part. Just gotta get the endar spire one now eugh

Aye I did it multiple times. The reason I linked the guide was to help them know where to go to find the parts. Since I have noticed many people fail to read the quest descriptions, which tells them where to scan. If you keep track of where you have scanned, it doesn't take too long.

I would agree that games are generally funner when missions are a bit harder, and I enjoy something that is a little more challenging, however this quest was not challenging or difficult in anyway; it was simply mind numbingly boring... The size of the areas you have to search are far to large... Now it didn't take me all that long really to find all the parts... I think my longest was on Drommund Kaas which I spent about an hour looking, but that was a long, tedious, intensely boring hour where I nearly quit looking as well... I think TOR is a blast to play, so when I load up i look forward to playing the game, not spending 3-4 hours total on one quest because I gotta scan every pixel on the screen for way longer than i should have to...

• 2 weeks later...

quest was stupid easy the first week when everyone was looking for them. after that it just became a pita. thankfully i did the quest on five of my 50s during the first week. afterwards i have helped my guildies and a few players in section x do their quest.

doing it now solo with no one around or even a few takes forever. i feel sorry for these players especially those who started playing mmos with wow or wow clones as they are just not used to such a mild time sink. fast and easy is what most gamers now want in mmos. this quest isn't fast but it is easy.

i agree that something needs to be done with the chance of finding the pieces.