Question...I get stuck moving sometimes, answer?

RoughRaptors

Used to happen to me in PVE as well. BY default autorun is mapped to a mouse button as a secondary if you have a 4 button mouse. Remove the autorun key binding for the mouse button and it stops happening. For some reason the game gets wierd with mouse button interaction.

Confirmed!!! Removing the secondary binding for autorun (which was set to mouse button 4) solved the problem for me. Thanks Githander.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this same issue since the start. With me it is moving backwards and to the right. I use my mouse left handed, so I use for movement the I, K, L, and J keys. My side mouse button is assigned to the CNTRL key using logitech setpoint. This getting stuck moving (usually backwards) has gotten me killed a lot while questing. I can only imagine how bad it must be in PVP or flashpoints.

I just did some experimenting trying to duplicate it out of combat. One thing I noticed is that the keys that get "stuck" are ones where if I push the CTRL button first and then they key nothing happens. If I push CTRL and then my forward button (the I key), I move forward. If I push CTRL and then the back button (the K) nothing happens, i have to use the K before hitting CTRL. Same with the L button which I use to strafe right, and which occasionally gets stuck. If I hit the K key to move back and then hit the Ctrl Button for a count of more than "one-one thousand" I am stuck moving backwards. However hitting the back button again (without CTRL held down) stops it. Not having the CTRL button pushed down and pushing the "stuck" key is how I can get the "autorun" to stop.

I think I'm just going to remap my mouse button to the ATL key instead of the CTRL key. As another problem this is causing me (only because i'm left handed) is that I like to use U with a modifier key for a nice accessible keybind and in the game that is set to taking away the UI screen, so that happens accidentally sometimes to me as well. the only reason I've not just remapped my keys yet is that the mouse keys for me are set in Logitech and if I change the ctrl to alt I'll have to go to my other games and reset every keybinding that uses ctrl.

Edit: I just tried duplicating this problem using the CTRL buttons on the keyboard rather than the mouse button that I have assigned to CTRL. It does not happen when using the CTRL button on the keyboard. I do not know what this means. I'm getting ready to make my mouse button the ALT rather than CTRL but now am a little worried that it won't fix it, that it is something about this particular mouse button.

So I finally gave in and rebound my mouse button from control to shift, and have not had the problem... As coming from WOW, I am used to having 60+ keybindings, (using alt, control, and shift plus X key), which causes me some pain, as now I have eliminated my shift plus X keybinds (without the mouse button).

As far as I can tell, swtor doesn't seem to demand as many keybinds (I am only lvl 26). But the best resolution to the problem is just to remove control as a modifier to your mouse.

Edited by neofusions

I get the same problem... usually in pvp warzones... usually once per game, sometimes more.

It has NOTHING to do with my ctrl, alt, or shift key... I don't have them bound to anything. I went through EVERY keybinding in preferences and removed EVERYTHING that wasn't movment or a quicklot button (i.e. 1, 2, 3... no key modifer).

Still happens.

I can't find a way to reproduce it at will, however.

And, get this... sometimes, when it happens, pressing w will strafe move me sideways... and I lose my mouse cursor.

Mashing every button on my mouse and movement keys fixes it every time... eventually... but, it's still ridiculously common.

I am using a nostromo gamepad to move and such, but I've never had a problem like this in any other game before. And opening the chat windows does not spam w as if the key is stuck.

I've never had a problem getting stuck going backwards, however... Probably because I don't backpedal much. It may be linked to the other animation bugs (i.e. Bounty Hunter's Unload, when the animation keeps playing in a loop). Maybe run forward is stuck playing in a loop. Then again, maybe not.

I'm going to try remapping my keys to TURN left, etc... the default... instead of "strafe". Dunno... out of ideas at this point.

Edited by Daemonjax

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm also getting the same bug.

I have not been able to replicate the bug using some of the methods described in this thread (ctrl+Direction moving) and like others it happens to me mainly in warzones. Changing zones or re-logging is the only way I have been able to fix it.

Happens to me at least once a day. Sometimes my character is stuck moving forward, but most of the time he gets stuck turning around, he just keeps spinning around and around as if either "D" or "A" got stuck.

My set is hooked up to a KVM (keyboard, video and mouse combo) which I use to sometimes switch to my macbookpro. But I don't believe its the cause of the issue.

Edited by MacetayTripa

i move with mouse 1 and mouse 2 and have ctrl 1-6 as hotkeys, i find that if im holding ctrl and try to run with mouse 1 and mouse 2 held down at the same time i stop moving.

try holding ctrl, as if you were stationary casting or something whilst trying to run with mouse 1 and mouse 2, really frustrating in PvP situations lol

I know using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse that is low on batteries will cause this exact senerio to happened. Your keyboard and/or mouse is stuck in a movement cycle and thus all your abilities that require you to stand still will not work.

replacing or charging your batteries will fix this.

Edited by Jaxxar

• 4 weeks later...
I found that I started having this problem after I got a Naga and started binding a slew of things to the thumb buttons. After doing some testing, from my experience, this issue seems to occur when you use a mouse button that is bound to any shift + key combo. When pressing one of those buttons plus the movement keys, if you tap it, you can sometimes become stuck moving in that direction. I changed my keybinds for the thumb buttons to alt+<key> and haven't had a problem since.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same problem. I opened a ticket, and the responce was that they tested my character and they didnt find anything wrong, and it was probably from my end. So i reset the key binds to default, switched to another keyboard. That only lasted for about 2 hours until it happened again... turning like a idiot around & around...

Even if it's a result to a combination of keys, it shouldnt be happening... period.

I found that I started having this problem after I got a Naga and started binding a slew of things to the thumb buttons. After doing some testing, from my experience, this issue seems to occur when you use a mouse button that is bound to any shift + key combo. When pressing one of those buttons plus the movement keys, if you tap it, you can sometimes become stuck moving in that direction. I changed my keybinds for the thumb buttons to alt+<key> and haven't had a problem since.

Is the Naga connected through a usb port on the motherboard, or through a usb hub or another usb port that's not on the motherboard? If so, try swapping it to a port on the back of the pc. Hubs can cause weird problems like you describe.

Alright this has been going on for a long time now and no one I know has encountered it. I can't imagine what could be causing it aside from keybindings, but I looked it all over and nothing I see could cause it unless something within the game code is causing it when I press a certain combination of buttons.

Basically what happens is that I will be playing like normal, and then I will get completely stuck either moving forward or backwards. I can't cast anything except forcequake, salvation, and my instant casts (making me near worthless). If I turn on auto run while stuck walking backwards, I will stop in place, but still be unable to cast. If i am stuck walking forwards, I have to hold down the S key to keep myself from moving. Very...very rarely I can mash my keyboard hard enough and it will break out of whatever has happened, but most of the time this does not end until I either relog or the Warzone ends.

If anyone has had similar experiences or has any clue on how to fix this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

dont know if this has been answered for you but I play an operative and this happens to me sometimes as well, although with me its either left or right...to get rid of it I simply have to go into cover/crouch mode and it resets. I dont know what other classes would have to do.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been happening to me quit often in warzones where I was stuck moving forward and could not stop moving. My forward key was bound to"W". The only way to stop it was to leave the warzone which stopping the autorun on my character.

I have now bound moving forward to my up arrow to see if that fixes the problem (I use a Belkin Nostromo n52te game pad).

Finally...someone who feels my pain, yet no solution :-/...When this happens I generally tell my team I'm bugged while furiously mashing my keyboard. If my character doesn't stop moving I'll just go afk until the game ends in a corner because I'm worthless.

leech, you should immeditately leave the game, why are you bringing your tea mdown because youre bugged? There sno reason for your tea mto lose cuz youre bugged.. just bvecause you are worthless, it does not mean your tea mshould suffer for your mistakes

no offense, but dont tell me the bug prevents you from leaving the game cuz that sounds like a bad excuse

Edited by ZaruenMakai

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with internet forums: everyone thinks that no matter how different their problem is it is the same problem....

I have the issue this thread is about, it is VERY simply when alt-tabbing into the game, the character will start moving backwards, and all forward controls just make them stop (can no longer move forward until logging out and in). THAT IS THE ISSUE, if your issue is different, then it is NOT the same issue, I don't know why that is so hard to understand. I have not been able to figure out what is causing this or how to fix it, but speculating about other issues does not help.

Side note: the game doesn't seem to do this when running in Windowed mode... but that's hardly a solution.

leech, you should immeditately leave the game, why are you bringing your tea mdown because youre bugged? There sno reason for your tea mto lose cuz youre bugged.. just bvecause you are worthless, it does not mean your tea mshould suffer for your mistakes

no offense, but dont tell me the bug prevents you from leaving the game cuz that sounds like a bad excuse

According to you, they should just let the money they spent on the game go to waste because the game is defective?

It used to happen to me... doesn't anymore. I suspect it was some sort of lag or something, where the client loses connection with the server and just continues sending the "move forward" command or something like that...

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same COMPLAINT about about that. Either the developer failed and it's a glitch or they failed in the keybinding system. In any case I have the same situations but with different buttons and bindings and solutions. PLEASE FIX THIS SO I CAN ENJOY THE GAME. Who TF autoruns in a direction anyway? Makes me #SMH

My movement is on numberpad and Shift+ any movement binding causes my guy to sapper run into some serious **** and dies. Makes me rage at this game. Especially in PVP and I get no respect too.... To fix it I need to figure out the direction Im moving and then hit Control+ that key to stop him. Do you know how hard that was for me? Damn, I kept dieing SO MANY times before I figured that out. *Sigh* I suck at this game. Who the **** autoruns like that??

Edited by Shastymax

ON Behalf of Cheja, his **** 'n mission objective wont load up. He's pissed off about it. That's fun too... Ever played with a rager? INSANE. Istant buzzkill. I know... I know... I'm guilty of it too because my mission objective mess up too. On top of auto-piloting my guy. It's like that one deaf-mute uncle swinging a baseball bat at a pinata on your 5th birthday party. Fun to watch I'm sure. Edited by Shastymax

• 7 months later...

This happens to me all the time, but I get stuck turning left or right, round and around. The way to stop it is simply to press whatever keybind direction I have been stuck in (so if I get stuck turning left I press shift-F which is my turn left keybind).

No one I know in game has encountered this. I think this is maybe because I use many movement keybinds, both mouse for general turning and mouse+keyboard for "hard turns" in Warzones when I have to quickly get behind and face a player (scoundrel backblast). Not sure how they can fix it if they don't experiencing it GM side. I'd allow myself to get stuck and submit a ticket to show them if it didn't take them 3 days to answer a ticket :D

This has happened to me a few times too. I'll be stuck moving in place, cannot actually move anywhere. It happened on both sorc and assassin. The character looks like he/she is running in place. Usually it will only last about 5-10 seconds. Or I will die because I can't escape people who are beating me, then when I respawn it will be normal again.