Lol What? Republic Oricon ending

Dotasake

'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' doesn't really work when those guys also want to kill and/or enslave you all and destroy everything you hold dear. We're not talking removed, distrustful but not openly (or uncommonly so) aggressive factions here. Republic and Empire have been trying very hard to wipe each other out for quite some time now.

I already found the temporary alliances they scraped together on Ilum and Hoth far fetched.

Can't imagine why, especially since not every imperial is bloodthirsty or the average maniacal Sith, who wants to destroy the Republic and its citizens... Nor every republic defender is like Saresh, who's a deluded fanatical upstart, who I'm sure will fall hard when she does.

You have General Rakton who, besides being a master strategist, was a fairly balanced and just military man. Same for the one you can work with on Hoth, against Master Sav's cult or even Watcher One on Taris, just to mention a few.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Can't imagine why, especially since not every imperial is bloodthirsty or the average maniacal Sith, who wants to destroy the Republic and its citizens... Nor every republic defender is like Saresh, who's a deluded fanatical upstart, who I'm sure will fall hard when she does.

You have General Rakton who, besides being a master strategist, was a fairly balanced and just military man. Same for the one you can work with on Hoth, against Master Sav's cult or even Watcher One on Taris, just to mention a few.

I never said every Imperial was a bloodthirsty madman. I'd said they'd been killing Republic soldiers etc for a very long time, and visa versa, and at the point in which they both scrape together a temporary alliance they're very much at war with each other.

For Hoth, it's mostly that you go from the starter zone, where Imperial forces have literally just annihilated the majority of the Republic personel stationed in their main base and were about to detonate a gas mine underneath it, killing the remainder, to... well, co-operating with the Empire to take down the Brotherhood. What makes them worse than the Empire, again?

Ilum is essentially the same, Malgus isn't exactly a force for good in the galaxy but he's not doing anything the Empire wasn't already doing. It's a bit more understandable given that both sides want to prevent him from securing the crystal deposits on Ilum and complete his stealth armada, but still. Limited co-operation, ok. Side by side fighting? Really? Didn't we just come from Corellia, where both sides lost hundreds of thousands of lives to each other?

That, and I have a hard time believing that either Supreme Commander Rans or General Garza would go along with it without at least having a contigency to sabotage the Empire afterwards.

Edited by Bleeters

I never said every Imperial was a bloodthirsty madman. I'd said they'd been killing Republic soldiers etc for a very long time, and visa versa, and at the point in which they both scrape together a temporary alliance they're very much at war with each other.

For Hoth, it's mostly that you go from the starter zone, where Imperial forces have literally just annihilated the majority of the Republic personel stationed in their main base and were about to detonate a gas mine underneath it, killing the remainder, to... well, co-operating with the Empire to take down the Brotherhood. What makes them worse than the Empire, again?

Ilum is essentially the same, Malgus isn't exactly a force for good in the galaxy but he's not doing anything the Empire wasn't already doing. It's a bit more understandable given that both sides want to prevent him from securing the crystal deposits on Ilum and complete his stealth armada, but still. Limited co-operation, ok. Side by side fighting? Really? Didn't we just come from Corellia, where both sides lost hundreds of thousands of lives to each other?

That, and I have a hard time believing that either Supreme Commander Rans or General Garza would go along with it without at least having a contigency to sabotage the Empire afterwards.

Surely you mean Supreme Commander Jace Malcolm? :rolleyes:

Seeing as Rans was still in command during Ilum, no, I don't.

(Also I will never stop grumbling that Slab Bulkhead jumped from Colonel to Supreme Commander for no apparent reason, bypassing several pre-existing General rank characters with far more actual ingame story presence and tactical experience who have since basically just fallen out of the game and been forgotten.)

Edited by Bleeters

Seeing as Rans was still in command during Ilum, no, I don't.

(Also I will never stop grumbling that Slab Bulkhead jumped from Colonel to Supreme Commander for no apparent reason, bypassing several pre-existing General rank characters with far more actual ingame story presence and tactical experience who have since basically just fallen out of the game and been forgotten.)

Illum has come and gone, so your initial assessment is incorrect. You should have referred to Jace Malcolm.

Also, having an enemy who wants to merely defeat you and having one who craves for complete and utter destruction of all life in the Galaxy, you're telling me that both Republic and Empire wouldn't put aside their petty conflict, in order to survive annihilation? Not even Garza or Malcolm? Seriously? Did you play the same game I did?

Also, there's a short story that explains how Malcolm rose to the position of Supreme Commander. It was made available in one of the issues of SW Insider.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Illum has come and gone, so your initial assessment is incorrect. You should have referred to Jace Malcolm.

...You know when I said this?

I already found the temporary alliances they scraped together on Ilum and Hoth far fetched.

And this?

Ilum is essentially the same

At what point did you think I was talking about not Ilum?

Rans was Supreme Commander whilst the Ilum story was going on. Which is why I refered to him. Whilst specifically talking about Ilum and making mention of the fact I was doing so whilst I was doing so. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be here.

Also, having an enemy who wants to merely defeat you and having one who craves for complete and utter destruction of all life in the Galaxy, you're telling me that both Republic and Empire wouldn't put aside their petty conflict, in order to survive annihilation? Not even Garza or Malcolm? Seriously?

Again, Ilum. Ilum. Malgus wasn't trying to destroy all life in the galaxy. He was trying to conquer it, which is essentially identical to what the regular Empire has been doing since it re-appeared. I already acknowledged that Republic high command might accept limited co-operation from the Empire to counter him given that if he secured the crystal deposits on Ilum he'd become considerably more difficult to stop. I just don't see why they'd a) fight side by side with their mortal enemies without much reservation beyond Cole Cantarus grumbling about it a little, and b) not use the opportunity to strike blows against the Empire who they are still literally at war with.

I assume you're refering to Oricon? In which case, yeah, sure. Their co-operating makes more sense there, given the magnitude of the threat and the utterly screwed position both factions are actually in during the Oricon story. Not that the Republic version of that actually indicates you're being assisted by the Empire at any point. But seeing as I wasn't talking about Oricon in the first place, your post is kind of irrelevant.

Edited by Bleeters

Wall of babbling.

In case you haven't noticed before, we were referring to the Emperor. :rolleyes:

You're the one who focused merely on Malgus, when the point behind bringing him to the table was to merely reinforce the notion that Empire and Republic banded together, at one point, to focus on a common foe. That same scenario could repeat itself if the foe once again was a significant threat to both factions.

Either way, here it is...

I don't think. He should be the last boss of the game. He is the main reason of this stupid war.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6874799&postcount=22

Last I checked, that already happened.

They didn't exactly pool resources or built an alliance but when Malgus descended upon Illum, Republic and Empire tolerated one another to focus on him. When you first start Battle of Illum, you can see soldiers from the other faction attacking Malgus' forces.

Not exactly that well developed, storywise but still may be a sign of the things to come. I wouldn't have an issue with it personally.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6874956&postcount=24

- - - -

Not exactly hard to grasp I'd say. Your commotion concerning Rans is irrelevant. If such scenario were to occur, it would be with Jace Malcolm as the Supreme Commander, NOT Rans.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Lord Scourge is a hardcore dark side enthusiast. If he can set aside differences and work with the Jedi Knight to take out the emperor for survival and self-preservation after learning the emperor's plans. Then I am pretty sure a lot of imperials and siths will do the same.

I think Lord Scourge is the embodiment of the original true Sith. He is sane, he is reasonable, and he is intelligent. He was just raised in a different culture that most resembles Spartans in ours. And the dark side is the source of power which the Sith draws upon for strength and power. The sith he describes is nothing like the power-hungry maniacs that some of the Dark Council members and the emperor are.

I think insanity and evil have nothing to do with the dark side.

The Dread Master's said that to become one of them you had to be completely engulfed in terror. That likely stripped them of their humanity and made them slaves to their own power of the Dark Side (what a shocker), by creating a force bond between them that made them a pseudo collective. This would explain why losing one of them caused their minds to slip, as the power they shared to make them what they were, causing an imbalance in the Dark Side between them that threatened to take their sanity along with it.

I don't think there is necessarily a bigger bad behind the Dread Masters. I think they were simply slaves to the Dark Side and their own fears. But I would argue that the "bigger bad" is the Emperor, who is largely responsible for making them what they were, albeit not directly responsible in their actions.

From what I understood it wasn't "just" an imbalance, when Styrak died he literally pulled the other's minds with him into... Well, "death", which isn't a healthy place to be.

From what I understood it wasn't "just" an imbalance, when Styrak died he literally pulled the other's minds with him into... Well, "death", which isn't a healthy place to be.

It's both - which makes them twice as crazy:p

Basically, they shared a telepathic bond that pretty much made it so they were in each others' heads. Then Styraak died so they got to experience being dead while still being alive AND begun to experience "recoil" from their powers as their own madness inducing abilities started driving them mad without a 6th master to process their dark powers.

By the time we kill them they must be flat out insane.

Complaining about cooperation between the factions is futile. They're going to fight each other, team up against a greater threat briefly, then go back to fighting each other. It's the same thing Blizzard does every expansion.

The war isn't going to end from one side wiping the other out. It's going to be some kind of peace or merger.

Pretty much what Ardun Kothe says how it's going to play out. This whole "occasional" cooperation is going to lead towards them realizing that at some point later down the line. Just watch.

Edited by Stncold

• 3 weeks later...
In case you haven't noticed before, we were referring to the Emperor. :rolleyes:

You're the one who focused merely on Malgus, when the point behind bringing him to the table was to merely reinforce the notion that Empire and Republic banded together, at one point, to focus on a common foe. That same scenario could repeat itself if the foe once again was a significant threat to both factions.

Either way, here it is...

I thought Ilum was a 3-way battle (Republic vs. Malgus vs. Empire), not a joint strike.