Promoting World PvP (and how we're doing it wrong)

Commissar_Omega

The devs don't like it, they didn't plan for it, and they gave us almost no motivation to do it. I love world pvp in games, much more than running around a hub (I run around the Imperial Fleet so much waiting for games my girlfriend took to referring to it as a "lobby") waiting for queues. I find the pvp in TOR to be equitable and well-balanced, which is the only reason why I've stayed here for so long. World pvp is however not a priority for the devs, as exemplified by their handling of Ilum. If the community wants world pvp, they will have to do it themselves.

I see some misguided attempts to create a pvp community. I've been pvp'ing in MMO's for over a decade and I've seen good communities and bad ones, as well as what makes both. Cooperation does not breed conflict. Read again: cooperation DOES NOT breed sustained conflict. These "world pvp" events are nice, as well as attempts by guild leader to "get together" to coordinate pvp, but they won't cause sustained server conflict, for a couple of reasons:

1. There's no point. A long time ago, people were ok with pvp'ing just for funzies. With the introduction of gear and other inscentives to pvp, the expectations of the MMO playerbase have changed. People won't come out in large numbers to pvp anymore for "the fun of it".

2. There's no momentum. People aren't going to show up to world pvp if there is not consistently people doing world pvp. If they expect not to have a fight, then they won't show up.

3. You're competing with warzones. People get instant and rewarding pvp from queuing up for warzones, rather than traveling around attempting to find a fight.

Essentially cooperation is the very antithesis of what guilds should be doing in the environment that the devs have provided.

Let me clarify though: guilds are cooperating to create spurts of world pvp, instead of cooperating to create conflict that will provide sustained world pvp. Guilds should be doing the latter.

How do you create this conflict? The devs have provided to us, on this pvp server, one tool to do this. We can attack players wherever we can actually get to (so not the fleet and the faction capital ect. and lowbie planets).

If you want to create conflict on this server you must prevent players from doing things they want to do until they pvp you. That means farming factional hubs, camping daily zones, and contesting the entrance to instances on places like ilum, sectionX, and the black hole. The larger guilds that are interested in world pvp should get together and form op groups to contest these highly populated areas, until the other faction decides to form op groups to push them out.

You MUST tie world pvp to something that players care about, and players care about doing instances, dailies, and other things. The only way you will see a healthy world pvp community is by contesting these things, until the developers add a specific world pvp dynamic. If you do not do this you will never see good world pvp in TOR in it's current state.

I guarantee it.

Edited by Commissar_Omega

/sign

Problem is, if you go one step too far the almighty Ion Cannon will kill you instantly, one of the things that annoy me most in SWTOR.

Dreadtooth is a good example for how world pvp in SWTOR can work out tho, have the better team, kill the opposing faction and dreadtooth is yours. I remember invading some minor Alliance City in WoW - forgot the name sry - ganking lowbies etc... that was really fun, even if you got invaded on your own territory.

There won't be anything like Stranglethorn in SWTOR soon, the main problem IMO is, once some guy got killed in the "open world" he'd rather whine on the forums instead of grouping up and fight back.

I agree on the rewards system tho, I like to pvp outside warzones sometimes, but as my time is very different from the server, fighting for nothing gets old real fast, at least if you don't have players who actually want to win.

• 4 weeks later...
Open world PvP has never been about rewards for me.

I'm reviving this thread and I concur hairy! open world pvp is about fun for me, I don't need incentives.

Lately, you can find me and a few others in section X republic base starting some kind of pvp. perhaps we could get some larger fights going there..

This game just can't handle open world PvP.

Ever wonder why there is more lag in Huttball than any other map? It is because you are loading the entire enemy team, all eight players, at once. On the other maps, you are only loading a few enemy players at a time.

I see how this game handles in Huttball, and I remember the slideshow of Ilum. Open PvP would be nice, but it isn't something this game can handle.

News flash: Devs don't read the suggestion forums either.

/carry on

they most definitely do read the suggestion forums they just don't implement all suggestions. It is the best way to get them to listen to new ideas though.

PS, this was posted today by Executive Producer Jeff Hickman, responding to someone on Open World PvP.

Source

"Topic #2: World PvP – What happened to making Ilum better? What is going on with Open World PvP? Answer: We have not forgotten Ilum! I think you will see (fairly soon) the answer to this question in the game itself - something big is coming to the Western Ice Shelf, but it’s quite a departure from what was there before. As for pure Open World PvP…well, that’s a more difficult proposition. We are dedicated to providing excellent PvP experiences to our players, but we intend to focus our energy on PvP Seasons and new Warzones. We will be experimenting with a different approach to Open World PvP, something that encourages organic PvP in contested areas in a new and interesting way, but do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year (outside of what I mentioned above). It is still on our design wall, but is taking a back seat to other forms of PvP."

Edited by -Mythix-

Seems to me the biggest problems are two fold: Communication and Distance

Communication - there are no REAL global channels dedicated to this, where people can find out what is going on...and when.

Distance - How many times did you hear about ongoing pvp, dropped what you were doing, hopped on your ship and flew to that planet. Took speeder(s) out to the combat location, only to find out it was basically over?

Solve these two issues, and we'll be in business.

Seems to me the biggest problems are two fold: Communication and Distance

Communication - there are no REAL global channels dedicated to this, where people can find out what is going on...and when.

Distance - How many times did you hear about ongoing pvp, dropped what you were doing, hopped on your ship and flew to that planet. Took speeder(s) out to the combat location, only to find out it was basically over?

Solve these two issues, and we'll be in business.

I created a chat channel on the imp side labeled Owpvp

Anyone can join by typing /cjoin owpvp

That answers the communication problem, help me spread the word :)

Good to know myth!

Frankly, I think (outside of ilum changes) debs are expecting mass world pvp on the new planet, since there will be only one high level planet for dailies and leveling, you'll force players to pvp more often

I like to add few ideas to the table,

1. Since SWTOR is in a area with the promoting of Cartel Points, maybe incorporate a reward system for Open World PVP. What I mean is if lets say your faction holds a area your group gains CP points.

If geting some cool stuff in the Cartel mall means looking cool and having fun, Open World could be added to the table and players could gain cool stuff by PvPing for it in Open World.

That option would benefit and would make PVP fun.

2. DO NOT GIVE US PVP GEAR WHERE GEAR IS ONLY OBTAINED THROUGH OPEN WORLD PVP, AND IF YOU DO MAKE SURE ITS JUST COSMETIC WITHOUT STATS!

I remember watching people get battlemaster in a few hours with the mass amount of zergs and exploiting, it was hilarious but at same time was a fail to the game and we all know what happened after that.. /unsub x 1000's

3. Some how don't make it zerged, there is some people that have toasters as computers lol.

I don't know how they can do that, maybe make zones where only a limited few can enter at a time, make a instance zone where you have to Q, and only lets says 40+ can be in it.

These are just a few things in my head that could fix Illum, maybe I am wrong and my ideas are retarded, least I am trying to dream.

:p

Edited by Caeliux

retarded sounds nice, I like *******

hero engine seems to ruin a lot tho, hope they can optimize stuff so it doesn't lag, if not, where the hell is my transfer ^^

I wouldn't mind if they would give you comms / gear for warzones AND world pvp tho, would get you of the fleet at least, like old Ilum tried....

I'm drunk and it's late, if I sound weird, it's not the beer

PS, this was posted today by Executive Producer Jeff Hickman, responding to someone on Open World PvP.

Source

"Topic #2: World PvP – What happened to making Ilum better? What is going on with Open World PvP? Answer: We have not forgotten Ilum! I think you will see (fairly soon) the answer to this question in the game itself - something big is coming to the Western Ice Shelf, but it’s quite a departure from what was there before. As for pure Open World PvP…well, that’s a more difficult proposition. We are dedicated to providing excellent PvP experiences to our players, but we intend to focus our energy on PvP Seasons and new Warzones. We will be experimenting with a different approach to Open World PvP, something that encourages organic PvP in contested areas in a new and interesting way, but do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year (outside of what I mentioned above). It is still on our design wall, but is taking a back seat to other forms of PvP."

Yes I read this earlier. They told us that in January we would see open world PvP. I guess they left off the part about it not being until 2014. *********** losers.

A lot of people have different views about open world pvp. For me personally it's more about fun but if there's no incentives a lot of people will over time stop showing up. Ilum worked for a while but then it died and Bioware took all the pvp quests away so it's no surprise that it died.

Suggestions:

Add a region (or new planet) in game for the sole purpose of pvp. Add unique vendors that sell cool items like pets, gear, speeders, buffs and maybe make it a region where you get extra valor for each player kill. Add things that factions can interact with such as base capturing and artillary guns and stuff and when players capture bases they get wz comms and buffs. And also add daily quests that reward players with credits and wz or ranked wz comms. Or maybe add a new comm that can only be acquired from the region and used to buy unique items. If the region is just as beneficial if not more then wzs players will be more inclined to go there and come on let's be honest...IT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Example: remember the rakghoul plague outbreak on Tatooine? There was open world pvp there all the time because players of the oppoisite faction were constantly there and running into each other and battling for things (such as the jawa vendor). Those were good times.