6.0 Crafting is Ludicrously a complete and total piece of Junk

bryceccoleman

Crafting isn't the main resource for gathering gear, playing the game is. All the gear you get through quest rewards are BOL and you're free to send them over to all your toons.

The set bonuses are attached to the shell, so you can put the "thrown mods" in there to scale it to your best/current gear rating.

Although crafting has become a pain, I do like the idea that just playing should primarily reward you, while crafting should be a secondary source for gear.

My point still stands. They might get rid of all gear and give you a quest that says run Hammer Station 5000 times to max out your stats, because that's what it is essentially behind all of this. As it would be more sincere and would save people alot of credits.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first iteration of any MMORPG I've played where I spend exorbitant funds and hours on end, the side effect of which is I collect gobs of diamonds, for the purpose of creating a bunch of cubic zirconia -- all in the hopes of eventually making my own diamonds.

Dasty

Yeah, any way you look at it T11 crafting is the stupidest, most convoluted, fun-sucking sub-system in any MMORPG I have ever played.

Anyways, my Sub expires today, not playing as preferred as that is pointless at end-game, and come the next forum reset I'll be locked out of posting.

So good luck to you all; I'll still drop by to read your posts Dasty.

All The Best

As a recent "casual" returner from vanilla who came across threads like this a few weeks ago, I remember saying to myself "it can't be that bad." Well, now that I've maxed to 700 and started looking into crafting contemporary gear I found that yes, it is that bad...perhaps masochistic is a strong word, definitely pointless.

Trainable 268 gear is fine. The deconstruction/schematic system and the sheer volume of mission materials, burdensome but ok, fine whatever. My crafting progression was halted simply because of the processed isotope stabilizers. I've practically run out and don't recall how I got my original stash (i had hundreds). I thought they were hot cakes. But it appears that I can't get them with the content I'm doing, (Vet FPs and Solo story mode) or getting too few to notice.

So, whats the point of crafting gear that is below your ilvl, dumping tons of credits and time into getting better schematics, only to be walled by Isotope Stabilizers and whatever the conquest reward is, because right now I realize that I am spending my time and credits to maaybee gear up someone else's richy rich alt at a severe credit loss to myself.

Up until yesterday, if I had a few mins, I would log in to do missions, try an plan out my crafting. Today I realize there is no point to care because there's literally no benefit. I feel for the community who have leveled all/most of their alts already, at least I can still do that.

Easy has nothing to do with it.

• Ridiculously overpriced
    • it costs more conquest materials to make a single 286 armoring than a character can earn in a week in a large yield guild

[*]Ridiculously overtimed

• It takes more time to gather materials and make that same armoring that it would to run the flashpoint to get multiples of it

[*]Ridiculously broken

• in the time it would take you to craft it, you would outlevel it, your displays for crafting would all be wrong (both because they don't update, and because they were wrong to begin with), and you'd have been lied to twice, once by non functional amp buffs, and again by stealth nerfs to critical rating. and that's not even counting the broken drop tables for mats, development placeholder text, complete misnaming, and multiple other issues

Crafting *IS* "Playing the game.

and while I will agree that it is not the main method for gearing, it should be a VIABLE method for gearing (especially since NONE of the crafted gear is optimal, with exception to augments and consumable/reusables, which are exclusive)..... and it should ACTUALLY WORK AS ADVERTISED.... because right now, it does not.

I think it is probably worth mentioning that at no point in the game's history has crafting allowed a person to make end game best in slot gear until Ossus. I think its also worth mentioning in reply to

Just to let you know that you can craft basically all 306 components. Just certain ones with slightly different stats in terms of stat distribution you cannot make. The base ones are all craftable at the 306 level.

that if you look at the total stat pool, for crafted implants/earpieces anyway, they are still below, and in some cases 19 points below, what the Sha'tek looted versions are. Still, for tanking versions the sacrificed stats for endurance might be useful. I can't speak to the stats on hilts/barrels/armorings/mods/enhancements, because I refuse to waste my precious exotics on an absurdly low RE chance.

Regardless, all of Void's points are absolutely correct. The problem isn't that players want to be able to craft stuff with no effort. The problem is that the exotic resource requirement is much too high for lower tiered stuff, and the reverse engineering chance is much too low to make crafting any of the sub-BiS stuff worthwhile.

This is the first iteration of any MMORPG I've played where I spend exorbitant funds and hours on end, the side effect of which is I collect gobs of diamonds, for the purpose of creating a bunch of cubic zirconia -- all in the hopes of eventually making my own diamonds.

Dasty

And the diamonds you make aren't actually good quality. They have lots of inclusions, aren't brilliant white but instead have yellow discolorations, etc.

Hi, I'm a player returning for Onslaught after two years absence... and I must say I don't like what I see with crafting.

Leveling to 75 is great as ever. I really liked Ossus and Onderon stories and enjoy Mek-Sha so far, but crafting... Bioware, what have you done...

Since I play SWTOR (the time they introduced Makeb) I play an hour or so per day... I mostly do dailys because I burned myself in WOW playing flashpoints and operations. I've had enough of this. So I play my main char and some toons, and I chose crafting skills so I could craft everything I need by myself and not rely on GTN. And it worked great... especially leveling alts was really cool when you could craft the gear you didn't find. My gear was not top tier, but it was enough for my playstyle of dailys and heroics.

Now I'm back and was happy to see crafting is now at 700, but the joy soon vaporized... the first trainer only sold me the 700 max skill level and some yellow schematics with incredients I've never seen before, mostly stuff from Operations. OK I said, seek a new one in Onderon. And this one had lots of schematics. But sadly, I cannot craft even a single new green item because Bioware thought it a good idea that now you need stuff for crafting you cannot get from salvaging or crew skill missions, mainly "Processed Isotope Stabilizer". I have ZERO of those.

Do I really need to run Master Flashpoints, operations or participate in PVP just to get crafting incredients for GREEN items? Listen, I don't need to craft rainbow colored super gear with laser shooting out of it, but simple green and blue gear crafting needs operations, PVP and Master Flashpoints? Really?? What kind of genius thought that would be a good idea?

I never cheated or abused game mechanisms to get credits, so I have about 10 million credits, shared over now 5 toons. I cannot afford buying a single material in GTN for 250000 credits.

If the Processed Isotope Stabilizers don't get removed for green and blue crafting, I fear my visit will be a short one... complete the story once, and wait for improvements.

Edited by Styrakhon

• 2 weeks later...

I can't comprehend the thought that was put into crafting in 6.0. Completely throwaway stuff requires buckets of end-game mats that take hours to farm... and in the process of farming, the game literally drops gear that is better than the stuff you were going to craft.

There is no point in putting the effort into crafting now except for a handful of certain things, like stims, augments and augment kits. Everything else like mods, gear or weapons is completely pointless to bother with. It seems like it was literally designed to discourage people from crafting.

Why should I run 2 operations and a handful of flashpoints for mats, when I can just get the BiS stuff from that same content?

I always believed that crafting should be the only way to get the game's best gear. The mats for that gear would drop from end game content and would make there way to crafters so they can craft the gear for use. That makes much more sense than the two pronged system we have now (gear drops vs crafted gear). Because that way all aspects of the game are tied together. They could even add in a more robust crafting mechanic that allows for better results based off of the materials used.

Why should I run 2 operations and a handful of flashpoints for mats, when I can just get the BiS stuff from that same content?

This is what makes 6.0 crafting farcical. The unique crafted only items are pointless. The only 6.0 items I craft are med pacs & stims for my various high level alts and the occasional purple augment if I find I have enough crafting items from solo conquest (which is maybe one a month). I really don't understand why stronghold crafted items - war supplies - were changed to require 6.0 components.

I think it is probably worth mentioning that at no point in the game's history has crafting allowed a person to make end game best in slot gear until Ossus.

that's not true you could RE end game gear mods, you could RE mods that you bought from vendors or the GTN. this had saved you a lot of time on all your alts. i think in 5.0 they have started with non RE-able mods. there's still the relic that is the disassemble loot button which became useless by then.

Edited by bluroq

I think it's pretty obvious that they really don't want most players crafting 306 gear. While it's technically possible, it's far and away the worst way to get 306 stuff. Only PvP even gives it a run in the "man this is terrible" department. I have maxed out my two gathering skills, and gotten artificer up to about 640, but I have no intention of taking it any further. Even if I did, it would just be to see the number 700 sitting on my character sheet. I would never contemplate using it for anything but dye and color crystals.

I assume if and when the next tier of gear comes out, the current top tier will get adjusted to something more sane.

Edited by Yeebo

[...]

I assume if and when the next tier of gear comes out, the current top tier will get adjusted to something more sane.

I wouldn't put any money on that.... just take a look at pre ossus, or post ossus craftable gear... it's all still obscene

as it stands it would take more than a years worth of conquest mats to make a single set of gear at 306 by crafting it..... NOT including all the deconstruction to get the schematics.

I could live with not being able to craft top 306 gear. But forcing people to PVP, conquest or master flashpoints just to craft green or blue stuff that is nowhere better than any trashmob could drop is really bad design.

Just like you anyone with a working brain realizes how awful and inefficient crafting is now. Thing is they knew it before Onslaught dropped. Players reviewed it on PTS and wrote in great length how dumb crafting was.

They ignored all feedback regarding crafting until after they wrecked it.

Then we got the “we know it’s not perfect and we will be adjusting it later” spiel. It’s been adjusted once since then, btw. Still is garbage, the crafting is.

Piss poor management and total lack of communication as to why it was wrecked and what their goals are for crafting.

They don’t tell you their goals because then they’d be held accountable for what they said, so it’s better to make broad statements like “we will be working on it” instead of giving actual details as to what they want to improve in crafting etc.

GG.

Well, I'll add my note to the pile in hopes that it gets through thick skulls (or boring trend charts).

Ya broke it, one of my favorite parts of the game.

It's horrid right now. And it needs to change, and yes it would be worth changing IMO before the next tier upgrade. Please.

Right now 3/4 of my toons are running slicing and treasure hunting missions for the lockboxes, and selling the grade 11 wealthy missions for moneys. I'm not crafting a single thing, and I stopped unlocking tier 11 crafting on toons ages ago. The highest I go is tier 10. It's almost better if you ignore the existence of tier 11 stuff, and continue crafting from the previous expansion.

it's a shell of a system that I used to enjoy, and saddens me every time I log into it. But I'm not going to dump all my hard earned time as a casual into a stupid system. I'll wait it out, running tier 5 missions for companion gifts and running circles of the hunting lodge for cred boxes.

Hopefully you guys will figure out how broken the system is soon, and change it.

Edited by Elyx

Soon™.

We've had the obligatory patch with minor adjustments, don't expect to see anything else.

Yeah, they more worried about conquest acitvities and how people "cheat karagga run conquest." lol.

Hey folks,

We have been tracking this issue for a bit, it is definitely not intended. We are working on a fix for it and are aiming to try to get it out in our next patch, 6.1.1.

Thanks.

-eric

I shouldn't poo-poo that, though. At least they are doing something, right?

I guess more than anything I am left feeling incredulous that crafting was changed to it's present iteration, purposefully! Nothing was improved upon crafting after they changed it with 6.0. What exactly was the reason for the changes, then? That's typical BW though. Fixing things not broken, while broken things live on endlessly.

Wanted another reason to hate 6.0 crafting.... I ran a ton (30+ crits) of each slicing mission (except abundant)... here's what I found (all missions run under the same conditions of max slicing armor, Guild Fortune Set, +3 gathering crit, Pro training, and level 50 companions)

Rich Slicing Missions

• 7% of Crits had a mission drop also (the only nice thing in here)
  • It's possibe to get zero purple artifact mats
  • Total Piece count (success): Hi = 32, LO = 23, AVG= 28.3 **
    • Artifact: Hi = 10, Lo = 0, Avg = 4.07 ***
    • Prototype: Hi = 14, Lo = 2, Avg = 8.6 ****
    • Premium: Hi = 24, Lo = 5, Avg = 16.3 ****

[*]Total Piece Count (crit): Hi = 46, Lo = 30, Avg = 37.7 **

• Artifact: Hi = 14, Lo = 2, Avg = 6.47 ***
    • Prototype: Hi = 19, Lo = 6, Avg = 11.77 ****
    • Premium: Hi = 29, Lo = 9, Avg = 19.47 ****

• ** The total piece count (purple/blue/green) was 10 higher for crits, and half of that was greens
    • avverage crit only yielded 2 extra purples, 3 extra blues, 5 extra greens

[*]*** The lower than expected average for artifact pieces is repeated in Bountiful missions

[*]**** The much more stable expected averages of prototype and premium were also continued in Bountiful

[*]The average success for Rich yielded LESS artifact (purple) mats than a Bountiful success

[*]The overall average for Rich yield slightly LESS artifact mats, and SIGNIFICANTLY LESS Prototype mats than Bountiful

Lock boxes were simple, success = 1 crate, crit = 3 crates and a mission discovery.... the average contents of each box was about the same for jawa junk (although it covered a large range), but the crit boxes avereaged about 2k credits more per box

Moderate missions were similarly simple, range was only 11-14 pieces for success, and 22-28 for crit with expected averages

now for the second kick in the teeth ... Crit rate DECREASED STEADILY at EACH color difficulty, something that can only happen if they changed the crit rate behind the scenes. something I previously detected in crafting. I also ran tests to check (100 crafts in each color grade), and the effect appears ONLY in grade 11.

Curb stomp #3? the returned yields are far less than required amounts compared to every previous tier

TL;DR

We've been screwed on Quantity, Qaulity, and Time, and I have the numbers to back it up. Anyone that claims that crafters "just want it easy", doesn't have a f*king clue what they're talking about, and needs to **** or be known as an ignorant plebe and summarily ignored

Edited by Void_Singer

now for the second kick in the teeth ... Crit rate DECREASED STEADILY at EACH color difficulty, something that can only happen if they changed the crit rate behind the scenes. something I previously detected in crafting. I also ran tests to check (100 crafts in each color grade), and the effect appears ONLY in grade 11.

This has always been the case. You don't see it in the grade 10 stuff because they are all grey difficulty once you are like, crew skill level 660 or so.

Wanted another reason to hate 6.0 crafting.... I ran a ton (30+ crits) of each slicing mission (except abundant)... here's what I found (all missions run under the same conditions of max slicing armor, Guild Fortune Set, +3 gathering crit, Pro training, and level 50 companions)

Rich Slicing Missions

• 7% of Crits had a mission drop also (the only nice thing in here)
  • It's possibe to get zero purple artifact mats
  • Total Piece count (success): Hi = 32, LO = 23, AVG= 28.3 **
    • Artifact: Hi = 10, Lo = 0, Avg = 4.07 ***
    • Prototype: Hi = 14, Lo = 2, Avg = 8.6 ****
    • Premium: Hi = 24, Lo = 5, Avg = 16.3 ****

[*]Total Piece Count (crit): Hi = 46, Lo = 30, Avg = 37.7 **

• Artifact: Hi = 14, Lo = 2, Avg = 6.47 ***
    • Prototype: Hi = 19, Lo = 6, Avg = 11.77 ****
    • Premium: Hi = 29, Lo = 9, Avg = 19.47 ****

• ** The total piece count (purple/blue/green) was 10 higher for crits, and half of that was greens
    • avverage crit only yielded 2 extra purples, 3 extra blues, 5 extra greens

[*]*** The lower than expected average for artifact pieces is repeated in Bountiful missions

[*]**** The much more stable expected averages of prototype and premium were also continued in Bountiful

[*]The average success for Rich yielded LESS artifact (purple) mats than a Bountiful success

[*]The overall average for Rich yield slightly LESS artifact mats, and SIGNIFICANTLY LESS Prototype mats than Bountiful

Lock boxes were simple, success = 1 crate, crit = 3 crates and a mission discovery.... the average contents of each box was about the same for jawa junk (although it covered a large range), but the crit boxes avereaged about 2k credits more per box

Moderate missions were similarly simple, range was only 11-14 pieces for success, and 22-28 for crit with expected averages

Curb stomp #3? the returned yields are far less than required amounts compared to every previous tier

TL;DR

We've been screwed on Quantity, Qaulity, and Time, and I have the numbers to back it up. Anyone that claims that crafters "just want it easy", doesn't have a f*king clue what they're talking about, and needs to **** or be known as an ignorant plebe and summarily ignored

I assume all this math stuff is painting a really inefficient picture regarding the crafting system. I don't even need mathematical proof, though. All I need to do is start trying to craft to realize it's awful.

Crafting should be engaging, I know crafting usually has the reputation of being boring but for many people (like me) I always enjoyed crafting on MMOs and many past games including SWTOR had fairly fun crafting systems.

SWTOR wasn't the best, but it was decent enough to give players many ways to make credits via crafting. Crafting also offered rare armor pieces too, the old recipes that were gained through reverse engineering the armor shells. So there were many useful features crafting offered players on SWTOR.

Then 6.0 happened. With no explanation of why, BW completely gutted and ripped out their old crafting system replacing it with a gigantic cluster-ckuf of a new crafting system. The best part was how players played the crafting system on the PTS and reported their findings immediately, that being the crafting system was illogical and crafting mats were beyond ridiculous in costs now.

Instead of heeding the players criticisms, BW ignored all crafting-related feedback while they were fairly receptive to other feedback related to other new game features BW felt were more important than crafting. It was as if they were told to go total dark on anything crafting-related, because all threads and posts focused on 6.0 crafting was met with crickets by Eric Musco and Co.

Now, months later, crafting on this game is still no longer a feature worth engaging in. And they have nothing to say on it, either. lol. Par for the course, though.

Edited by Lhancelot

This has always been the case. You don't see it in the grade 10 stuff because they are all grey difficulty once you are like, crew skill level 660 or so.

Wrong.

the only change in crit rate for grades 1-10 has been (and still is) the "subscriber bonus" which is +10% for orange difficulty, and +15% for yellow/green/grey..... these were leftovers from the base crit rate before F2P, but removed for F2P players... no other color difficulty modifiers have been in place for crewskils since launch... until 6.0 and grade 11

Edited by Void_Singer

The average success for Rich yielded LESS artifact (purple) mats than a Bountiful success

What were the overall material returns though? Did you see much higher Prototype and Premium materials in the Rich missions compared to Bountiful? Or were they roughly the same?

Seems a little off though, but that sums up the crew skill gathering missions for Grade 11. BioWare tinkered with a format that worked, to something that was broken when taken in the context of the number of materials required for basic things to craft (as well as time).

I know they touted that they wanted to push gatherers to gather in the open world, but that isn't always feasible or possible considering the limited number of nodes and consistent respawn locations and other players. One player can effectively tie up a resource if they have the right route, without anyone getting a look in, or making it very hard to break into even if they managed to grab a node here or there. Routes can also be very faction dependant, depending on the resource in question, which can be a limiting factor.

Sigh, typical BioWare shenanigans.