Thoughts/Theories for the upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi

CaptainPann

Hey Everybody!

I think the title is pretty self explanatory. I've loved the Star Wars series since I was 4 (except the god awful prequels, but even they had their moments) and coming from a star wars loving family, was very excited when Lucas Films/Now Disney, came out with the long anticipated Star Wars 7. I wanted to see what anyone's theories and thoughts about the new movie this month. My parents keep sending me updates on what they think (My father's being Rey turns to the dark side) and that pretty much gave me the idea.

~ I hope to see everyone's ideas !

Honestly, I'll go against the grain and say I'm gonna trust Rian Johnson and the writers to make the story pretty different. This whole press tour and media tour has been uniquely different than any of the other Disney SW movies. They have been building anticipation and anticipation for Shock/Awe knowing what could happen if they missed their mark so obviously they have allot of confidence in TLJ.

Literally every single interview with all of the actors or cast tease multiple shocks and twists. There are just 2 things I really hope for.

1. We get a Bada** Luke scene similar to Vader at end of Rogue One. In the Legends Canon at this point he was practically a Light Side Demigod. Obviously I don't thats gonna happen but I do think Luke should be clearly the most powerful character in the Sequel trilogy except for maybe Snoke.

2. No Dark Side Luke. Sorry, but not a fan of this theory thats been going around at all. My favorite line from pretty much all of SW and one of the most iconic lines to me is "Because I'm a Jedi, like my father before me" in ROTJ. So if he went dark it would go against everything I perceive about Luke...

Honestly, I'll go against the grain and say I'm gonna trust Rian Johnson and the writers to make the story pretty different. This whole press tour and media tour has been uniquely different than any of the other Disney SW movies. They have been building anticipation and anticipation for Shock/Awe knowing what could happen if they missed their mark so obviously they have allot of confidence in TLJ.

Literally every single interview with all of the actors or cast tease multiple shocks and twists. There are just 2 things I really hope for.

1. We get a Bada** Luke scene similar to Vader at end of Rogue One. In the Legends Canon at this point he was practically a Light Side Demigod. Obviously I don't thats gonna happen but I do think Luke should be clearly the most powerful character in the Sequel trilogy except for maybe Snoke.

2. No Dark Side Luke. Sorry, but not a fan of this theory thats been going around at all. My favorite line from pretty much all of SW and one of the most iconic lines to me is "Because I'm a Jedi, like my father before me" in ROTJ. So if he went dark it would go against everything I perceive about Luke...

In my own opinion, I think Luke might stay the same.. but in the teaser/trailers it shows that Luke looks intimidated by Rey's power and sees the resemblance in her and Kylo (Ben).. possibly thinking he'll fail as a master. Plus in the newest trailer, Kylo Ren reaches out to someone in a sort of welcoming way. We'll see on the 15th how it'll turn out... but I am nervous about where this will go.

I feel like Rey might fall in love with Kylo Ren... I don't really know. I kind of ship them together. After the Snoke scene torturing the Rey, I feel like Rey might fall into the Dark Side just like Malak did with the Bastila, altough I cannot imagine Rey coming to the Dark Side. Eventually I think Kylo will want to repair the damage he has done, something along those lines. Edited by Shiyoni

I feel like Rey might fall in love with Kylo Ren... I don't really know. I kind of ship them together. After the Snoke scene torturing the Rey, I feel like Rey might fall into the Dark Side just like Malak did with the Bastila, altough I cannot imagine Rey coming to the Dark Side. Eventually I think Kylo will want to repair the damage he has done, something along those lines.

That's certainly interesting, if Kylo does repair his damage... I think the guilt of killing his father might weigh him down.

That's certainly interesting, if Kylo does repair his damage... I think the guilt of killing his father might weigh him down.

There's been rumor that Hayden was spot at Pinewood studios where they film allot of SW and he was the celebration which was rare. What if he force ghost talks to Kylo similar to Obi wan and Luke did in ESB.

I also kinda hoping for Rey to be a Palpatine, I think it would make sense for him to have some kind of continuity in the ST because if you really think about it especially in the Prequels he practically became as vital to the story as the skywalkers.

There's been rumor that Hayden was spot at Pinewood studios where they film allot of SW and he was the celebration which was rare. What if he force ghost talks to Kylo similar to Obi wan and Luke did in ESB.

I also kinda hoping for Rey to be a Palpatine, I think it would make sense for him to have some kind of continuity in the ST because if you really think about it especially in the Prequels he practically became as vital to the story as the skywalkers.

That would be so amazing, I hope they bring back the force ghosts! There was one thing I do remember from one of the movies where Yoda said that there can only be 2 Sith (a master and a apprentice) dubbing it as "The Rule Of Two". That would be interesting since there's already Snoke and Kylo Ren. Would Rey break that rule?

That would be so amazing, I hope they bring back the force ghosts! There was one thing I do remember from one of the movies where Yoda said that there can only be 2 Sith (a master and a apprentice) dubbing it as "The Rule Of Two". That would be interesting since there's already Snoke and Kylo Ren. Would Rey break that rule?

So far as we know, they technically aren't Sith. Just Dark Side users a la the Krath (if you've read any of the Exar Kun era Legends stuff you'll know about them).

While they could be Sith in some way, we have no evidence other than "they use the Dark Side and Kylo has a red lightsaber and loves Darth Vader!" to suggest so.

My theory:

Luke dies. Definitely not a popular one, especially not for me, but we do see Rey getting tortured by Snoke, and I'd have to guess we'd end up seeing a scene where Luke sacrifices himself to fight off Snoke and Kylo while Rey escapes.

well we can see tendency in star wars lately to expose the greyish part and become little less "childish"

thats why itts really hard to jump to any conclusions right now, what was interesting in the new poster for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Mark Hamill’s character looms menacingly in the background – just like his dear old dad Darth Vader used to :wea_03: who knows what are we going to learn

i mean i get that a lot of things seems simillar to the old trilogy (deathstar, black helmet guy , ugly face emperor :csw_jabbapet: ) but everything has this odd feeling like its going to be a bit diffrent this time

when it comes to Luke im not sure if he dies or not, he might fall or not consider himself a jedi anymore due to self-blame or something he did in the past (nobody is perfect, especially when it comes to waging a war)

to me it seems like Rey and Ren might mix with eachother and show big old fellas like Luke and Mr S. middle finger and wave it as it was a flag (if not in 8th ep, then in 9th)

I may make some enemies with my view but here goes.

Its going to blow chunks just like 7 did! Its going to be just like 7 and look like mediocre fan fiction, ill wait and rent it for 2 bucks on google.

Or you know, maybe not?

Despite being heavily controlled products, TFA and TLJ had very different origins.

TFA was made by an OT fanboy who despises the Prequels and set out to create a two hours long hommage to it, and the intention on Disney/Lucasfilm's part was to say "Look, we can still make Star Wars movies that feel like the old days"

TLJ is made by a Star Wars fan too, but not one who denies the relevance of half of the saga. The entire communication around the film has been about how different it would be from TFA and every thing that came before it despite feeling familiar enough that you'd know it's Star Wars.

Both movies are also written by very different people, with different intentions and backgrounds.

Basically, claiming TLJ is going to be bad just because you thought TFA was (I didn't, thought it was okay and mostly enjoyable but not very original or ground-breaking.), is just silly and short-sighted.

The Force Ghost rumor seems to be gaining more traction. It does make sense if you think about it, at this point in this story there are at least 4 extremely powerful characters(Anakin, Yoda, Kenobi, Qui-Gon) that can be summoned in the story via force ghost.

And in Empire Strikes Back, Kenobi returning as a ghost was a vital part of the story. First appearing to Like in the snow, and then appearing on Dagobah to try to help Yoda convince Luke to complete his training. And then obviously in the ROTJ where Obi wan appears as a ghost and explains Vader s story. And at the end when the three of them appear.

There was also rumor that Frank Oz was on set and a Yoda prop was spotted. I could totally see Rey going into the Tree of Whills, a place strong in the force, and seeing any of the ghost characters or all of them. I think it would be amazing if we had a Luke talking to Yoda or Kenobi scene though. As if he wasn't alone on the island at all, he had been learning and discovering with the old Jedi masters.

I believe were coming up on the TLJ press screenings for reviews. So i believe we will see more actual leaks in the coming days so keep an eye out if you like or dont like spoilers.

Edited by MajorZuma

In my own opinion, I think Luke might stay the same.. but in the teaser/trailers it shows that Luke looks intimidated by Rey's power and sees the resemblance in her and Kylo (Ben).. possibly thinking he'll fail as a master.

When Luke mentions seeing that kind of raw strength before and not being scared... I think he could possibly be referring to Palpatine in the past and Snoke now. Snoke is so powerful that Luke knows he needs to be afraid of him and that's why he had to go into hiding and learn new powers.

So far as we know, they technically aren't Sith. Just Dark Side users a la the Krath (if you've read any of the Exar Kun era Legends stuff you'll know about them).

While they could be Sith in some way, we have no evidence other than "they use the Dark Side and Kylo has a red lightsaber and loves Darth Vader!" to suggest so.

My theory:

Luke dies. Definitely not a popular one, especially not for me, but we do see Rey getting tortured by Snoke, and I'd have to guess we'd end up seeing a scene where Luke sacrifices himself to fight off Snoke and Kylo while Rey escapes.

Well the Sith are users of the Dark side but are also a diplomatic order... hence the creation of star killer base. If they were just Dark side users then I doubt they would have a diplomatic side. I think SWTOR shows more diplomacy than the actual films (excluding the prequels, even though they were God awful.. they did show the diplomatic side of both the Sith and the Jedi). Just kind of my perspective on things.

I would also like to say, I saw The Last Jedi when it came out on the 15th (AND I promise I won't spoil anything) and in my personal opinion it was beyond amazing. It was a little long but it's something you barely would notice. I hope you all watch it and enjoy it as much as I have and maybe even more so. Thank you so much for all the ideas on this forum!

I would also like to say, I saw The Last Jedi when it came out on the 15th (AND I promise I won't spoil anything) and in my personal opinion it was beyond amazing. It was a little long but it's something you barely would notice. I hope you all watch it and enjoy it as much as I have and maybe even more so. Thank you so much for all the ideas on this forum!

I hated it, worst Star Wars movie I have seen. It pissed all over Luke as a character and the amount of glaring plot holes is staggering. All the cool theories people had amounted to nothing but bull crap and the mysteries that crept up having us all excited for over 2 years amounted to nothing. I absolutely despise this movie as it has soured Star Wars as a whole for me. Something I have loved for over 20 years....

I hated it, worst Star Wars movie I have seen. It pissed all over Luke as a character and the amount of glaring plot holes is staggering. All the cool theories people had amounted to nothing but bull crap and the mysteries that crept up having us all excited for over 2 years amounted to nothing. I absolutely despise this movie as it has soured Star Wars as a whole for me. Something I have loved for over 20 years....

Completely agree with your assessment. I have watched interviews with Rian Johnson and Mark Hamill. Mark didn't like the direction they were taking with Luke and publicly voiced his opinions, probably a little too much because Darth Mickey had him silenced.

After watching the look on Mark Hamill's face after the World Premiere, I don't think he was expecting that ending. I think they did some post-production editing, which is probably why we only saw him from the back.

Mark didn't like the direction they were taking with Luke and publicly voiced his opinions

That's such a big pile of ********.

Read the complete interviews.

What Hammill said was that he initially disliked the direction the movie went for, and he spoke to Rian Johnson about it. And through their many discussions, Johnson explained his intent, admitted when he was wrong and overall worked WITH Hammill.

The guy even praised him on Twitter saying he'd be glad to work with him again.

After watching the look on Mark Hamill's face after the World Premiere, I don't think he was expecting that ending. I think they did some post-production editing, which is probably why we only saw him from the back.

I can't even... Are you for freaking real?

Are your desire to come up with a conspiracy so massive that you'll invent a meaning to an actor's facial expression?

Oh and if he's so against TLJ why has he expressed enthusiam about returning for Episode IX?

Blackmail by Disney too?

Ridiculous...

What Hamill said was that he initially disliked the direction the movie went for, and he spoke to Rian Johnson about it. And through their many discussions, Johnson explained his intent, admitted when he was wrong and overall worked WITH Hamill.

Are your desire to come up with a conspiracy so massive that you'll invent a meaning to an actor's facial expression?

Oh and if he's so against TLJ why has he expressed enthusiam about returning for Episode IX?

Blackmail by Disney too?

Ridiculous...

Edit:

In fact, I invite you to read the following:

I read that you and Mark Hamill had different interpretations of Luke. Who was Luke to you, as a character for The Last Jedi specifically, and where was Mark coming from?

Johnson: I had to go from The Force Awakens, where the one big thing we know about Luke is that his friends are fighting the good fight and he’s isolated himself on an island. He’s taken himself out of the fight. So I had to figure out why, and it had to be consistent with Luke as I knew him. He was a hero. That meant he has to believe he’s doing the right thing by removing the Jedi from the equation.

And Mark—this character’s been part of his life for the past 40 years. He’s had a lot of time to think about what Luke would be if he came back. There’s no way that what I came up with was going to line up with what he had in his head. So we got into it, we talked about it, we argued, we went back and forth. I had to justify the choices I made to him. It’s not like there was ever a point where he said, “OK, that all makes sense to me.” But he got to a point where he said, “I can understand why you’re doing these things. I’m going to choose to trust you and go on this journey with you.” Which was incredibly generous of him creatively.

So much for Hamill completely disagreeing and being lied to about Luke's fate, huh?

Edit 2:

Worst ennemies it is, right?

Edited by Leklor

What Hammill said was that he initially disliked the direction the movie went for, and he spoke to Rian Johnson about it. And through their many discussions, Johnson explained his intent, admitted when he was wrong and overall worked WITH Hammill.

Blackmail by Disney too?

Ridiculous...

And are you f'ng real? How dare you attack me like some *****hole troll. Sorry I hated your beloved movie *****wipe. But I think you are a first class piece of garbage for attacking someone's opinions. Your interpretation of interviews and videos isn't the rule we should all abide by. Your blasted opinion on a piece of crap movie isn't the end all of discussions. I could really give a dam about what you think of me. I am not starting f'ng conspiracy theories. I replied to and on information I found. And yes I read the Rian Johnson article too. BFD. I don't give a rat's ***** what you think.

Hilarious.

You come up with an absolutely ludicrous "theory" regarding thr behind-the-scenes of the movie, gleefully ******** all over Rian Johnson because... Wait. What's your reason? Because you hate the movie? Is that a valid excuse to openly slander someobe based on non-facts? Can't you just be content with hating the movie and move on? You have to make up outlandish accusations about the people involved to feel good about it?

Face it, every single element points to your "interpretation" of the situation being utter bull***** and I'm an ******e for calling you out on it?

Also, FYI, I don't "love" The Last Jedi. I think it's a very flawed movie that was nevertheless a labor of love from Rian Johnson so seeing frankly insulting "interpretations" of behind-the-scenes interviews to justify hating it disgust me.

You never needed to question Johnson's character to dislike the movie, there's plenty controversial elements in the film as-is to justify having a mixed or negative opinion.

Is that more understandable for you?

Hate the movie for what it is, not for how you believe it was made. It makes you look paranoid and foolish.

And are you f'ng real? How dare you attack me like some *****hole troll. Sorry I hated your beloved movie *****wipe. But I think you are a first class piece of garbage for attacking someone's opinions. Your interpretation of interviews and videos isn't the rule we should all abide by. Your blasted opinion on a piece of crap movie isn't the end all of discussions. I could really give a dam about what you think of me. I am not starting f'ng conspiracy theories. I replied to and on information I found. And yes I read the Rian Johnson article too. BFD. I don't give a rat's ***** what you think.

I know what you are talking about and he doesn't. I believe you are referring to the stunned reaction Mark had in this video:

It's very telling. You can tell he's visibly shaken and they probably did something in post production that he wasn't told they would do. I doubt he thought he would be killed off until the 3rd installment.

I know what you are talking about and he doesn't. I believe you are referring to the stunned reaction Mark had in this video:

It's very telling. You can tell he's visibly shaken and they probably did something in post production that he wasn't told they would do. I doubt he thought he would be killed off until the 3rd installment.

Yes. Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.

After all, Mark Hammil wasn't at the Cast Screening of the film before the premiere. At all. Never set foot there.

But I know something you don't know: Disney (It's ALWAYS THOSE MONSTER AT DISNEY!) showed a FALSE VERSION of the film to the cast! JUST TO FOOL MARK HAMMIL on Premiere Day!

That's what happened. Totally.

Also, learn a bit of logic, here's a little breakdown (with a "Question/Answer" format for clarity) of another reason why your theory is stupid as hell. Ready?

1) What follows Luke's death scene in the movie? An exchange between Leia and Rey about said death.

2) Who plays Leia? Carrie Fisher.

3) What happened in December 2016 to Carrie Fisher? She died.

4) What does that mean regarding said scene above? It was shot during principal photography since the reshoots happened after Fisher's death.

5) When did TLJ's principal photography happen? Between February 2016 and July 2016

6) Who was a very good friend of Carrie Fisher and would have most likely talked with her frequently as hinted by their closeness on the many behind-the-scene features? Mark Hammil

7) Do you HONESTLY believe that Disney somehow manage to hide from Hammil that Luke was going to die at the end of the movie for MORE THAN AN ENTIRE YEAR despite the fact two of his co-stars, at least one of whom he was a close friend of, had shot a scene talking about it? If you do, I'm honestly worried about your sanity because we've left the realm of opinions long ago and we're very much into fabrication territory on your part.

As as been said on other threads on this very forum: You may hate "The Last Jedi". It's a movie. There's no universal truth about it. You're entitled to an opinion on it, a negative one included.

However, what is not open to interpretation are facts. Facts are facts and every bit of that theory about Disney/Lucasfilm lying to Mark Hammil is simply unbelievable because he'd already seen the movie before the Los Angeles Premiere at least twice (Japan Premiere and Cast screening)

If you still want to believe that he was lied to, then you're an idiot, plain and simple. You and your "friend" can call me an ******e all you want, it won't change that you're inventing yourself a reason to place Mark Hammil on "your side" regarding TLJ in a pathetic effort to justify your opinion, which it never needed because it's you're opinion and you are entitled to it.