Artifice is crap?

Bialaska

So I hit 50 with my inquisitor, levelling up artifice, archaology and treasure hunting and all hit 400. While it lacked the omg-factor of being able to craft medpacs, I always had a blue hilt to put into my own and my pets lightsabers/vibroswords.

And then I hit level 50. All the end game gear is better than the hilts and enhancements I can craft myself. I get a few relics to craft. But the lightsabers that I can craft are crap compared to the Champion/Columi Lightsabers.

All in all I now sit with the feeling that I just wasted hundreds of thousands of credits on levelling a useless craft.

So please fix this Bioware, please, make Artifice useful in end game, either to make the rank 25 hilts/enhancements (similar to those in Columi/Artifice) or somehow give us some other boosts, please. :(

I have 400 Art/Arch/TH on my Jedi, and I don't think I made a mistake keeping it this long after hitting 50.

There is only one tank enhancement from dailies, and it's not the preferred choice for all of the tank classes. So there is a market for crafting the other ones for your guild. And the crafted Relics are definitely worth it, I haven't gotten one to crit yet, but unless you have drops from the HM/NM Ops coming out your ears, they are comparable to those you can get (not to mention critting gives you an augment slot).

There is no reason I can see to drop this class skill, it's a money maker (both in the crafted items and selling any extra mats on the GTN).

I have 400 Art/Arch/TH on my Jedi, and I don't think I made a mistake keeping it this long after hitting 50.

There is only one tank enhancement from dailies, and it's not the preferred choice for all of the tank classes. So there is a market for crafting the other ones for your guild. And the crafted Relics are definitely worth it, I haven't gotten one to crit yet, but unless you have drops from the HM/NM Ops coming out your ears, they are comparable to those you can get (not to mention critting gives you an augment slot).

There is no reason I can see to drop this class skill, it's a money maker (both in the crafted items and selling any extra mats on the GTN).

What you fail to realize is that after you crit craft, you can drop artifice and level synthweaving. Crit craft your BoP synthweaving belt/bracers then drop it. End on biochem for their BoP stims/adrenals and the money you save/quality of life benefit of reusables.

THAT is the real issue (credits are also a joke). All BoP craft items should require 400 in their respective crew skill to use.

What you fail to realize is that after you crit craft, you can drop artifice and level synthweaving. Crit craft your BoP synthweaving belt/bracers then drop it. End on biochem for their BoP stims/adrenals and the money you save/quality of life benefit of reusables.

THAT is the real issue (credits are also a joke). All BoP craft items should require 400 in their respective crew skill to use.

true that is .. crafting in the game is short coming and more thought is put into make a cup of tea imo

Dont' worry, Biochem packs will become BoE. But you will need money to buy them, so you could take care of it with your skills. There's a plenty of guides here, or you could just research your own server's market

General direction: try not to sell your raw mats but rather find the way to craft it into something useful

While dailies can provide pretty income too, crafting is also an optional way to earn money (and help your leveling friends if any). Dropping for Biochem would probably close this option, since Biochem crafters cry here for no demand. This could change after BoE-packs patch

People who opt out of profession for next top-skill end-game bonus risk loosing it over one night when it gets patched to require said profession to use

Edited by Antiqua

You've got the most accessible source of raid-worthy offhands WITH augment slots for Inquisitors and Consulars, half the Bounty Hunters and all Troopers, Juggernauts and Guardians. Basically, 9 out of 16 Advanced Classes. And you're ditching it?

Even if I bought all the mats on the GTN I could make a profit out of those. But, with just a small investment and some smart arrangements in guild, Artificing can make you a crucial member for your guild to gear up the fresh 50's.

The best part of Artificing isn't the lightsabers or the modifications. It's the often forgotten off-hands.

You've got the most accessible source of raid-worthy offhands WITH augment slots for Inquisitors and Consulars, half the Bounty Hunters and all Troopers, Juggernauts and Guardians. Basically, 9 out of 16 Advanced Classes. And you're ditching it?

Even if I bought all the mats on the GTN I could make a profit out of those. But, with just a small investment and some smart arrangements in guild, Artificing can make you a crucial member for your guild to gear up the fresh 50's.

The best part of Artificing isn't the lightsabers or the modifications. It's the often forgotten off-hands.

apart from the only off hands that people want are for shadow tanks and they don't exist yet due to a known bug

TL;DR: Bioware severely underestimated the number of people who enjoy crafting and/or the endgame utility that crafting provides in other games.

The level 45 offhand has crit and surge. The level 48 offhand has crit and.... alacrity. There are more variations at lower levels, but the level 48 craft from the trainer is crap. Also, it's level 48, and so i'm guessing it's just filler until you get an op drop.

Even if you purple crit it, there's that alacrity taking up space where a useful stat can be.

I got a blue of the level 45, which I've been using while leveling 45 - 50, which is +82 crit and +21 surge, with an aug slot. (Side note - i RE'd these things for 3 days, no purple proc, not sure if it's broken or my RNG sucks).

Conceivably, with a well-itemized Level 48 purple crit, it would stand up to endgame gear for a little while unless or until I got the same stats I wanted in a higher-level item. But even that doesn't seem to be an option, so it's useless and will never be used.

It's clear there was no thought put into what people were supposed to be doing with these crafts at endgame; or rather, I feel like there was an assumption we'd all happily "graduate" to raidgear and not care about having these unused useless skills around.

Edited by spacefiddle

apart from the only off hands that people want are for shadow tanks and they don't exist yet due to a known bug

Funny that you mention those. The difference between what would've been a comparable willpower based shield with the aavailable strength based shield actually isn't that big.

The strength shield might actually be slightly beneficial, provided it's your only strength based piece of gear. Melee Crit Rate per point of strength/willpower. Look it up.

Funny that you mention those. The difference between what would've been a comparable willpower based shield with the aavailable strength based shield actually isn't that big.

The strength shield might actually be slightly beneficial, provided it's your only strength based piece of gear. Melee Crit Rate per point of strength/willpower. Look it up.

shadow tanks dont benefit from str at all.

shadow tanks dont benefit from str at all.

Oh, you don't melee as a shadow tank then?

In case you never even played a Consular (or an Inquisitor for that matter), the Shadow AC is a melee-based AC, unlike the Sage AC. Same with the Sith Assassin AC, that's also a melee based AC, while the Sorcerer is ranged.

Strength gives both bonus melee damage and bonus melee crit, just in case it's too hard for you to hover your mouse over the strength attribute on your character window for more than 3 seconds as well.

Willpower gives bonus melee damage, bonus melee crit, bonus force damage and bonus force crit.

Neither directly affects your tanking capability, even less your defense ratings, and both have only a minor effect on your aggro capabilities which are derived from the damage you deal.

Basically, you'll tank way better using a crafted purple strength based shield than you'd do with that blue mission reward you got from Corellia. Even if there was a comparable Willpower based shield, the difference between 43 strength or 43 willpower would be neglectable to a tank. If that's not enough, simply get a critted one, and put willpower in the augment slot.

In case you never even played a Consular (or an Inquisitor for that matter), the Shadow AC is a melee-based AC, unlike the Sage AC. Same with the Sith Assassin AC, that's also a melee based AC, while the Sorcerer is ranged.

Strength gives both bonus melee damage and bonus melee crit, just in case it's too hard for you to hover your mouse over the strength attribute on your character window for more than 3 seconds as well.

Willpower gives bonus melee damage, bonus melee crit, bonus force damage and bonus force crit.

Neither directly affects your tanking capability, even less your defense ratings, and both have only a minor effect on your aggro capabilities which are derived from the damage you deal.

Basically, you'll tank way better using a crafted purple strength based shield than you'd do with that blue mission reward you got from Corellia. Even if there was a comparable Willpower based shield, the difference between 43 strength or 43 willpower would be neglectable to a tank. If that's not enough, simply get a critted one, and put willpower in the augment slot.

As a shadow tank, all our threat moves are force based. The only melee move I use is double strike- project, force breach, slow time, telekinetic throw... these are all force based attacks. While double strike is effecient for its damage/force power cost... it has no bonus threat coeffecients and is mainly used to proc particle acceleration... which forces the next project to crit (project in turn is talented for bonus threat). Slow time is -very- force/damage effecient, and generates bonus threat+ is aoe+ adds two debuffs to every target. Breach is AoE and also leaves a debuff (force effecient for damage, no bonus threat however). ST/project both stack harnessed shadows... which increase TK throw damage. at 3 stacks also causes TK throw to do self healing...

As far as "directly affects tanking ability" Doesn't matter what my defensive stats are, if I don't have threat I'm not tanking. As a new shadow tank (what you are talking about) threat can most definately be an issue- especially when one is getting a feel for best threat rotation. Even guarding a geared dps, the threat difference can be too much (like when I started doing FP's as a fresh 50 with 2 geared smugglers.... I learned threat quickly O.o)

TL;DR Melee crit is a -very- insignificant part of a shadow tank's threat output. Our only melee skill (other than lol 0 force attack for filler) is used ONLY to proc a more powerful FORCE attack. Everything else (force attacks) are our real bread/butter.

So no.. in fact you DON'T need melee as a shadow tank. In fact I can/have successfully tanked using only my force abilities at 10m range when the situation demands. yes I do suffer a threat loss (small) but only because I can't use my 1 melee ability to proc tasty project crits.

The wise speak only of what they know: please learn a class before talking down to someone about it.

That being str WILL improve threat for a shadow/sin tank, but very marginally compared to WP. The oversight of missing a craftable offhand/matrix cube for us... while annoying at best, is not fair.

Shadow tanks should not be forced to take sub-par gear due to a 2 month (since live) developer oversight. Combined with the fact that there is no willpower/defense based matrix cube... and its a rather harsh slap in the face for Shadow/Sin tanks.

Edited by Niddhog

So I hit 50 with my inquisitor, levelling up artifice, archaology and treasure hunting and all hit 400. While it lacked the omg-factor of being able to craft medpacs, I always had a blue hilt to put into my own and my pets lightsabers/vibroswords.

And then I hit level 50. All the end game gear is better than the hilts and enhancements I can craft myself. I get a few relics to craft. But the lightsabers that I can craft are crap compared to the Champion/Columi Lightsabers.

All in all I now sit with the feeling that I just wasted hundreds of thousands of credits on levelling a useless craft.

So please fix this Bioware, please, make Artifice useful in end game, either to make the rank 25 hilts/enhancements (similar to those in Columi/Artifice) or somehow give us some other boosts, please. :(

If your posting this now you haven't been on the forums the last 2 months. Unfortunatly the 2 options are to wait for the next major content patch or to drop for biochem which isn't to expensive/hard to level (think you can probably level to 400 in like 3 hours as a 50

They don't really sell on my server. Unless it's got an augment slot, and even then I'm not sure I can really extract the cost of failing to crit several times.

here's the problem, I've sold the purple tier 6 gems for 13k each before. I can't sell any of the enhancements for at least 52k (even assuming the non-purple mats are free, I'm LOSING money by turning my materials into something).

So that if/when they input those requirements I will be screwed? I think not.

I will play it safe and laugh at everyone who went through leveling 2+ crew skills for 1337 gears and gets slapped with the requirements of 400 in X/Y/Z to use.

They did it for Cybertech grenades, they will most likely do it for the rest of the crew skills.

And honestly, by the time you level up and get your reuseable stim/adrenal/medpac, you'll have spent enough money that you could have just bought a massive amount from the vendor (as far as the stim/medpac go). Luck with RNG aside of course with how long it takes to RE the purple schematics.

Artifice is not crap at all... you are just doing it wrong...

With artifice I sell 400k in Enhancements daily.

I am capable of crafting for myself the best Relics in the game (even better then Nightmare mode Ops)

I can create the best lightsaber outside of Nightmare mode ops because it can crit an augment slot, and once they allow us to pull the mods out of ops gear it will be even better then the ops ones.

I can create Offhands equal to the Columi offhands which are great for people just getting into ops.

I can create one of the best Color crystals and in a color that is unique to artifice.

So yeah... you are jut doing it wrong I guess... Don't know what else to tell you.

So that if/when they input those requirements I will be screwed? I think not.

I will play it safe and laugh at everyone who went through leveling 2+ crew skills for 1337 gears and gets slapped with the requirements of 400 in X/Y/Z to use.

They did it for Cybertech grenades, they will most likely do it for the rest of the crew skills.

And honestly, by the time you level up and get your reuseable stim/adrenal/medpac, you'll have spent enough money that you could have just bought a massive amount from the vendor (as far as the stim/medpac go). Luck with RNG aside of course with how long it takes to RE the purple schematics.

Just saying its a possibility that people can/have done. I'm not doing it as it is an abuse to the system, and well... I'm lazy :p. As far as credit costs...? credits are worthless, this doesn't need to be said again. However you can easily buy the reusables from another biochem as long as you have 400 skill (in fact I've seen some bios try and sell these for pathetic prices). Also... what is its CD? 2 minutes? Using it every time its up in a 15 minute match (just say 6, what with defending/waiting for oppurtune times) and 3 hours of pvp with your friends/guildies. Waiting 5 minutes in queue between 15 minute matches is 3 matches an hour. 9 matches in 3 hours, 6 uses a match. Thats 54 uses in that night. Adrenals (before the mat change) would go around 10k each if you could even find. Its just nice to know its always there, and you'll never have to do dailies to afford another batch again... ever, while maintaining the full benefits of chain popping adrenals.

Idk, if I hadn't learned about that after getting 400 artifice/my crit crafted relics, I would have rerolled. Its just a very appealing bonus to me, which is why I'm leveling my alts as biochem.

I am capable of crafting for myself the best Relics in the game (even better then Nightmare mode Ops)

I can create the best lightsaber outside of Nightmare mode ops because it can crit an augment slot, and once they allow us to pull the mods out of ops gear it will be even better then the ops ones.

I can create Offhands equal to the Columi offhands which are great for people just getting into ops.

I can create one of the best Color crystals and in a color that is unique to artifice.

So yeah... you are jut doing it wrong I guess... Don't know what else to tell you.

I've seen those same relics drop from the Infernal Council fight, so's you know. I crafted the artifice power relic and I only use it on fights with distinct burn phases. All other times I have a damage proc relic from KP.

I'm holding on to artifice for 1.2. We make enhancements, so it stands to reason that we'll see high level enhancement (and maybe crystal?) patterns drop. As enhancements on current tier gear are miserable, imagine the killing we could make if we see these patterns...

As it stands, I don't have a single craftable item that uses the HM/NiM operation material drops. That's sad.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I had to reply and ask you if you are crazy? Have you ever played a shadow tank?

My abilities are st, tkt, pr, ds, fb maybe spinning strike if I'm feeling funny. I only use one melee ability regularly and that's ds which is pretty laughable for damage considering my force abilities.

The difference in 43 strength or 43 willpower is neglectable for a shadow tank? What? Is that a joke? Hmm, which is more important to me as a tank. Increasing damage/crit on one ability that hits one target or increasing damage/crit on 4+ abilities at least two of which hit multiple targets, oh and heal me, and debuff etc.

Please don't give advice on this unless you've actually played the class. It's very possible to tank using just your force abilities. I seem to have to now that my pa doesn't seem to proc very much.

No, you've missed the point as well.

There should BE NO BoP crafting items.

Everything a crafter can make should be sellable on the GTN or tradeable.

That creates a marketplace, instantly makes all crew skills valued, and keeps players from min-maxing their crafts. Period.

"But it just means players with creds can buy the best gear!" They can do that now, they just have to grind a few hours to level up crew skills first, don't they? Cut out the middle-man.

Im with yea. Ive been making a killing selling enhancements. Every day some player with 3 gathering skills hits 50 and buys my stuff. My clients are mostly new 50s, which is fine, there are always more of those. While i might sell 400k worth a day, only 200k is profit. Still I should be at 10 million in a few weeks.

Not to mention got 2 critted relics and a critted lightsaber(with ops enhancements, don't acutally use what i sell), im more than happy with artifice, plus i know it will only get better once they give us some recipe lovin. Then i can sell my critted blades for a small fortune.

Im with yea. Ive been making a killing selling enhancements. Every day some player with 3 gathering skills hits 50 and buys my stuff. My clients are mostly new 50s, which is fine, there are always more of those. While i might sell 400k worth a day, only 200k is profit. Still I should be at 10 million in a few weeks.

Not to mention got 2 critted relics and a critted lightsaber(with ops enhancements, don't acutally use what i sell), im more than happy with artifice, plus i know it will only get better once they give us some recipe lovin. Then i can sell my critted blades for a small fortune.

So you're making like 400k from TH and archaeology then losing 200k from artificing? Because that's what I'm reading here.