Devs, please add the following already completed hood down armors to the game.

JohnRoy

Please do not add no hood robes in the game.

I prefer to see qucik class reconigtion and conformity.

That's not sarcasimn, I'd just rather have everyone complaining over a nuiance leave then have them do work that doesn't matter.

Thankyou.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to explain to people (like Grabes, the above poster) who think this is all a tiny thing that people are freaking out about why this matters so much to me (and I think to a lot of other Knight players.)

1. It is the many Jedi Knight videos featuring hood down Guardians that made me want to play the game in the first place. Bioware sent us a clear message, and if you look at the links on the first post, it is indisputable: Play a Jedi Knight, look like this. The look they presented is impossible to achieve in the game. So the thing we bought the game for turned out to be a lie. It is beyond frustrating to look at a character model in the creator that you will never have.

2. Fairness. Every other class can see their character's hair and face with the touch of a button in preferences. We cannot.

3. MMO's are about attatchments to your character. Our character choices in the Creation screen are rendered pointless by a hood over our face and the "insta-bald" effect of the hoods. They really should just "Gray Out" all the haristyle choices except "bald" because that's effectively the only choice. For male characters this is bad, but for females it's REALLY bad. All Female Jedis are Master Sinead now. The look of your character is even more important in a game that's thirty percent close up cutscenes.

4. We wanted to play a Jedi. No Jedi in Star Wars fights with his hood up ever. At least not in the movies or TV shows. If we wanted that we'd be playing Assassin's Creed right now.

5. The various workarounds: wear Trooper armor, wear the Cyclops visor, wear the one or two Sentinel moddables that don't have a hood, all do something fundamental to the enjoyment of an MMO: you have to permanently fix part of your appearance. You do not get to share in the fun of getting new looks as your character progresses. You are stuck with one aspect of your appearance because changing it would mean you have to be bald and hooded again, so the fun of looking forward to new gear is not there for us. And that's one of the big parts of the fun of MMO gaming.

Also, the workarounds ruin something else. You don't look like a Jedi now, which is why you picked Jedi Knight in the first place.

I know there are people who feel that compared to being underpowered or having an overly complicated skill set or any of the major bugs in the game, this is a backburner issue at most, and that there are people who like the hoods and don't know why we don't. That's fine. But I wanted to explain why for us, and there are a lot of us, this issue is major, and every bit as game breaking. Go back and read this and the Hood Toggle thread:

People are parking their Jedis. People are depressed about playing. People aren't enjoying the game. That's big. That's bad. And that's something the Devs can fix extremely quickly and easily, by putting armors they've already fully developed into the game. The armors they highlighted and hyped and made video after exciting video of for three years. The armors that made all of us want to play the vision of a Jedi we felt they had done perfectly. The armors that made us buy this game in the first place. I hope they understand this and do what is right.

Edited by JohnRoy

Couldn't do it. It looks like it's Medium Tython Orange robes for me until Bioware lets me look like the Jedi who stares at me every time I boot the game.

Do you have a screenshot of these and do you remember exactly how you got them? I'm desperately looking for something non-hooded so that I can play my guardian again, and I'll even go medium if I have to.

Do you have a screenshot of these and do you remember exactly how you got them? I'm desperately looking for something non-hooded so that I can play my guardian again, and I'll even go medium if I have to.

I am wearing a piece called the Aspiring Knight's Vest. You can check it on Torhead. I don't have a screen shot, but it looks like the gear you are in on Tython if you do all of the missions, at the time you make your saber. It's grey and tan with a hood (in the down position, lol) and some arcane sort of patterns in the tan part. There are straps with buckles around the arms. It's not the best, but it looks Jedi-ish and you can see your character's face.

The armor hit you take as long as everything else on your guy is Heavy is minimal, especially if you are DPS.

I got it on the Galactic Trade Network on Carrick Station. It's Orange, level 11 required. There's usually a few of them, as it's a common early drop for Sentinels. Happy to help a fellow sufferer of Hood Depression Sydrome.

Edited by JohnRoy

Clearly the "harder than it looks" angle is hogwash, as they are already in the game, but the devs have either forgotten or chosen not to include them for those actual players who wish to play jedi knights.

I pass on the information I have, and I'm told it's a considerable task for the art team. I don't give out 'hogwash' as a general rule. ;)

That said, I'll pass on these suggestions to those responsible and see what I get back. Studio's a little light on bodies this week but I will try my best to get some info.

I am wearing a piece called the Aspiring Knight's Vest. You can check it on Torhead. I don't have a screen shot, but it looks like the gear you are in on Tython if you do all of the missions, at the time you make your saber. It's grey and tan with a hood (in the down position, lol) and some arcane sort of patterns in the tan part. There are straps with buckles around the arms. It's not the best, but it looks Jedi-ish and you can see your character's face.

The armor hit you take as long as everything else on your guy is Heavy is minimal, especially if you are DPS.

I got it on the Galactic Trade Network on Carrick Station. It's Orange, level 11 required. There's usually a few of them, as it's a common early drop for Sentinels. Happy to help a fellow sufferer of Hood Depression Sydrome.

Thank you!

Edit: Just found one. Now I can play my guardian again. THANKS!

Edited by Hoarwolf

I pass on the information I have, and I'm told it's a considerable task for the art team. I don't give out 'hogwash' as a general rule. ;)

That said, I'll pass on these suggestions to those responsible and see what I get back. Studio's a little light on bodies this week but I will try my best to get some info.

Thank you very much for answering. As I said in the beginning, a toggle isn't necessary. We just want to look like the Jedis we were shown on this website and hood down armors are a perfectly acceptable solution. We in the Knight community are eager to hear the Dev's response.

its a considerable task? SR said its difficult? What are we paying you monthly subs for? To fix easy bugs?

Stop saying its complicated/difficult and just get it done.

I support this wholeheartedly.

How my character looks is very important to my enjoyment of the game. Right now I am using a set of orange gear meant for a smuggler. While I like how I look, and it's much better then the ubiquitous fat-butt wizard robe, I would MUCH prefer these armours.

If my Sentinel could look like this - I would be the happiest Jedi in the galaxy!

There really needs to be a reevaluation of the Jedi look. It's a total drag to dangle this cool-armour carrot for the years leading up to release, then when the game launches force feed your new Jedi a steady diet of brussel sprouts.

its a considerable task? SR said its difficult? What are we paying you monthly subs for? To fix easy bugs?

Stop saying its complicated/difficult and just get it done.

That's being pretty rude. He takes the time to answer and that's all you can get ?

First of all, he's NOT on the dev team, and second, he's done his best by telling the dev team that the hood and large bustle were huge problems for the players. He's done HIS job. That's his job. He doesn't have to fix anything, and he's already doing A LOT for the community. So please show some respect.

As for the dev team, well, they HAVE to fix it eventually, as i'm also depressed to play a char that doesn't fit what I wanted (while it was advertised as otherwise), BUT, there are many major bugs that come before that. For instance the game runs fine everywhere, but I can't play BG because the FPS drops to 5 - 10 each time. I don't mind it as long as I have story to go through, but once 50 that will be a major problem. They need to fix the "game breaking" issue before they take care of the cosmetics.

And thanks to Stephen, they're aware of the cosmetics problems, which is a great step forward. (as for months, we've been in total dark about those issues)

So Thank you Stephen for the general info and dedication. And don't mind the trolls.

Also, for the "imperial" guy, no we do not have this "version" on the republic side.

Thank you Mr. Reid! If you can, let them know that just adding hood down options is a perfectly acceptable compromise for us right now, the toggle isn't necessary. We just want to have at least the choice of a hood down look.

I haven't played Republic, but is there not an equivalent armor to this http://www.torhead.com/item/6eX5aDe on Rep side that your Synthweavers can make?

It even comes in a Heavy version... http://www.torhead.com/item/1VcXPR4

Unfortunately, no, that's why this is such a hot issue on the Knight boards. There isn't a single Heavy Armor robed look for Jedi Knights in the game right now with the hood down, and the only Medium Armor options are the vest styles, not robes.

Edited by wadecounty

Agreed with OP. As a twilek Jedi knight , I really need to option of putting the hood down.

Even the twilek Jedis in the game have their head exposed. It just makes sense.

Edit: thanks for the response from the team!!

Edited by kithsyn

Agreed with OP. As a twilek Jedi knight , I really need to option of putting the hood up.

Even the twilek Jedis in the game have their head exposed. It just makes sense.

Though, two problems here :

1) Addind "hoodless pieces" will in no way let Twi'leks have hoods.

2) The Twi'leks don't have hoods at all, just like when you put a helmet on. That's quite different (looks a hundred times less cool) than a "hood down".

Hmm. I rather like the hood up look. I want the hood toggle because I often find hood-down drops and I find it silly there's a hood right there on my back but I can't put it up over my head.

So here's another Jedi Knight agreeing with you...if not exactly for the same reason. :)

I appreciate the reply and your position in this. The thing is, as we've tried to describe, there really is nothing for the art department to do here.

You can approach this in two ways.

Itemization fix - Put copies of existing hooded robes in the game, on the same vendors with the same stats and costs, but use the existing hoodless models that dont seem to be used.

Code fix - Simply include the same option that checks for twilek race (which removes hoods) and add that to the "no helmet option" in preferences. Again, this code exists, it just needs to check for one more thing.

Done and done. No art team required.

Code fix - Simply include the same option that checks for twilek race (which removes hoods) and add that to the "no helmet option" in preferences. Again, this code exists, it just needs to check for one more thing.

Done and done. No art team required.

The Twi'lek option is in NO WAY acceptable for any other race. The Twi'leks have NO HOOD. We want HOOD DOWN.

It is hogwash. The art team doesn't have to do ANYTHING. For any hooded robe in the game, equip a helmet (any non-circlet helmet or goggles), and the hood goes down. All the artwork is very clearly and obviously done. Anyone can test this themselves. Not only is the artwork done, but the programming for making hood go down is done as well since equipping a helmet or goggles already does it. All they have to do is make a check box do the same thing that equipping a helmet or goggles already does on live right now.

Edited by LetoAtreidesII

I haven't played Republic, but is there not an equivalent armor to this http://www.torhead.com/item/6eX5aDe on Rep side that your Synthweavers can make?

It even comes in a Heavy version... http://www.torhead.com/item/1VcXPR4

No! As far as I know, we don't. All of the moddable Heavy armors and most (all but one?) of the moddable Medium armors are hood up.

Do you know if there are class requirements for that armor? I'm pretty sure you can buy cross faction gear on Nar Shadaa. Perhaps an Imp synthweaver would make me a heavy one? I'd pay top dollar. Top credit? Any info about that chest piece would be well appreciated.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering what the rationale is behind rushing the game out in a bug-filled state to take advantage of Christmas sales, then allowing large portions of the development team to take the rest of December off while players struggle with the effects of the rushed launch?

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering what the rationale is behind rushing the game out in a bug-filled state to take advantage of Christmas sales, then allowing large portions of the development team to take the rest of December off while players struggle with the effects of the rushed launch?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It is hogwash. The art team doesn't have to do ANYTHING. For any hooded robe in the game, equip a helmet (any non-circlet helmet or goggles), and the hood goes down. All the artwork is very clearly and obviously done. Anyone can test this themselves. Not only is the artwork done, but the programming for making hood go down is done as well since equipping a helmet or goggles already does it. All they have to do is make a check box do the same thing that equipping a helmet or goggles already does on live right now.

Can't you READ THE FREAKIN POST ABOVE YOURS ? YOU CAN'T ?

It doesn't get you a hood down. It makes the hood GO AWAY. And it looks kinda lame.

Not really, the "normal bodies" are rather skinny, with no hood at all, the neck looks terrible.

Hood down = Epic

No hood = Lame

Hood = Bald.

So I'd rather new pieces with hood down, instead of a broken option, while waiting for the real hood toggle (with hood down).