State of the Game #3

CourtneyWoods

Throughout this year and granted we are only three months in I am finding that SWTOR has improved quite a lot. There are more players around on the servers, easy to join groups, an improvement in the PVP content and now with the upcoming 'Rise of the Hutt Cartell' another five levels to gain, different gear and the new bolster feature.

All-in-all it has been an improved game since when it first started. People still have concerns and rightly and that is what the forums are here for so that the developers can look at the content and make changes if possible. I doubt that Bioware will please everyone all of the time with changes but they are certainly trying in my opinion to keep the game afloat as best they can.

I would like to see the game not crashing to the desktop every 2 hours as this is a real pain especially if you are mid way through a flashpoint or in PVP.

If people really are that upset with the game and dislike what it is then why be here and waste time with bad feedback? If you have an issue, post a solution, express yourself but if it is that bad then pick another game and be happier there, it's really that simple.

I'm hoping the content will continue to improve, we have more planets coming on-board and perhaps on the existing planets and opening-up of other areas to explore. In terms of PVP content it would be far better if the re-spawn times were reduced as this interrupts the game flow. I'd also like to see PVP space combat between the empire and the republic, the capturing and/or the destroying of capital ships etc. It would be good to see warzones on Korriban /Coruscant etc. I doubt the PVP will ever reach the fast paced action of a FPS but that's the trade-off with MMO's I've found.

An improvement in crafting skills and what you can craft would be good (below and above level 50), better spaceship combat and space exploration and farming resources from asteroids might add something new to the GTN. Having an ability to add more points into a skill could make the character more proficient or devastating in say sabre combat, healing etc.

I hope over this next year Bioware content to improve the game.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When can we expect new story content outside of "expansions" then?

While I'm excited for a lot of the stuff coming. Story I think has been the most lacking content. Over a year in and Makeb is the first true advancement of class stories. You don't necessarily need to raise the level cap to do that even. It would be nice to see the class stories progress a bit faster.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that the barber shop feature will be on the Cartel Market.

I wonder if it will be separated in changing specific, such as just hair, race etc. or will it be a one time buy to change everything. The latter will suck of you just want to change your characters hair.

Last spring I was definitely concerned about this game. It got really tough to want to log in and play. I wasn't enjoying the content, I was beginning to not enjoy the classes in the game. Upon the new direction that the game took I find myself enjoying the game more and more. I look forward to 2.0 and beyond. Keep working hard at this game and it will truly become remarkable.

I'm still hoping for a player bounty system and the ability to travel to some of the other planets like coruscant on my Bounty hunter.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to add some clarification to something that I am seeing mentioned quite a bit in this thread which is our 6 week cadence and Jeff’s mention of 8 weeks. Previously we said:

We should have been much clearer with what we meant by “or so”. Even back in November when this was in the first State of the Game blog, our goal has always been to bring updates out every 6-8 weeks (which is what we meant by 6 weeks or so). If you look at our release schedule over the past 6 months we have stuck pretty well to this cadence. Jeff mentioning 8 weeks is more to say that our aim is to always get content out to you folks as fast as we can, and our target is 8 weeks or sooner.

I just wanted to add that clarification and not have you guys think we have changed our development goals. The goal has, and still remains, every 6-8 weeks. I hope that clears things up!

-eric

I just wish he had mentioned 6-weeks Eric. I don't doubt you, but even you say that the new target is 8-weeks (or sooner™), which leads me to expect 8-10-weelks as the norm.

I just wish he had mentioned 6-weeks Eric. I don't doubt you, but even you say that the new target is 8-weeks (or sooner™), which leads me to expect 8-10-weelks as the norm.

So, three months then?

Seems, unfortunately, normal.

"And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!)....

wait for it!

....using Cartel Coins!"

dunno why but i lol'd hard :)

"And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!)....

wait for it!

....using Cartel Coins!"

dunno why but i lol'd hard :)

Tell me why you'd need to change your character's look like 50 times in a month. I don't see a problem in CC because you get monthly grants. Stick with what look you want after you get to change it.

While I'm excited for a lot of the stuff coming. Story I think has been the most lacking content. Over a year in and Makeb is the first true advancement of class stories. You don't necessarily need to raise the level cap to do that even. It would be nice to see the class stories progress a bit faster.

Actually, it isn't. There is no individual class stories here. It's just another planet with another planetary story arc. Your class story will remain at Chapter 3, even though they're referring to the story content in this "expansion" as Chapter 4.

Tell me why you'd need to change your character's look like 50 times in a month. I don't see a problem in CC because you get monthly grants. Stick with what look you want after you get to change it.

Because nobody likes to change hairstyles, right? If only we could all be as vanilla as you.

Barber shop for CC is another way of Bioware saying "Give us MOAR money". Being a subscriber is a rip-off. If you really want the truth, this "F2P" model should be run like this. What Preferred currently get should be what F2P players get. What Subscribers currently get should be what Preferred players get. And what the whales on the Cartel Market receive should be what subscribers get. Instead the motto over at Bioware is "Monetize Everything". It kind of reminds me of the movie "Moving" with Richard Pryor where he's going through the house and the sellers keep telling him jokingly, "We're taking that with us" when referring to the pool, refrigerator, etc. Then when he finally gets to the house, the pool, refrigerator, and everything else they joked they were taking is gone. You'd like to think that this model and the way they're going about things are a joke, but it's not. It's the sad truth. Don't worry folks, P2W will be in your local Cartel Market shortly.

Edited by dsapp

Whoever expected the "barber shop" to be anything other than CM has been high on something strong.

Basically look at GW2. Whatever is monetized there will be here, at a minimum. It's what, 350 gems for a makeover kit there? And a 2k gem card is like 25$?

I expect TOR to sell makeover kits for around 500 cartel coins. Tho I reckon I'm optimistic over the price.

It's a F2P game now, sadly. Subscriber is not king like over in panda land.

Edited by aeterno

Here lemme edit your post.. Right so access to game as a subber means content which means I should get free barber shop. Why would i have to pay extra? Not like its a vanity item. They're crossing the line with this.

This is the line they're crossing? Not the brand new armor models offered up for a reputation based around handing them more money than your current subscription? No, they've been crossing the line for a while. This is just another middle finger to the subscriber. If you're not giving them enough money through the Cartel Market, you're the new second class citizen and Preferred/F2P has become third class.

I think it's very much worth mentioning that the server techs have achieved OPTIMAL perfect time to do the updates which is around 6am EST for me. Being able to play later into the evening is a huge help for the type of gaming I do. My sincerest thanks in identifying the best time to take the servers down for a tune up.

Thank you.

Ha ha, the trolls are out already!

I was pretty impressed with the state of the game...I really enjoy the fact that Jeff will actually let us in on whats going on behind the scenes and give us some clue as to whats coming. I am really looking forward to the new races/customization choices.

That being said, I am really hoping some new pvp content is on the way (especially world pvp) and possibly some warzones that are more that 8v8.

Keep up the good work guys!

change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species

What about gender?

So many people want to change the gender of their character and are not happy with their original choice. Will we be left out of the new customization?

Edited by Elfa

Ha ha, the trolls are out already!

I was pretty impressed with the state of the game...I really enjoy the fact that Jeff will actually let us in on whats going on behind the scenes and give us some clue as to whats coming. I am really looking forward to the new races/customization choices.

That being said, I am really hoping some new pvp content is on the way (especially world pvp) and possibly some warzones that are more that 8v8.

Keep up the good work guys!

What exactly is going on behind the scenes that you saw in his post? What's coming that I missed? The barber shop thing? And if you had payed attention, the Ilum revamp was it for this year. That is your PvP update for 2013. They want "organic" PvP.

What about gender?

So many people want to change the gender of their character and are not happy with their original choice. Will we be left out of the new customization?

I'd go out on a limb and say this will probably happen at some point. I guess the only issue with gender change would be that it might mess with the fact that we don't have same gender romance with our companions, and it might screw with the code a bit if you're in the middle of a romance with a character when you do a gender change.

Because nobody likes to change hairstyles, right? If only we could all be as vanilla as you.

Barber shop for CC is another way of Bioware saying "Give us MOAR money". Being a subscriber is a rip-off. If you really want the truth, this "F2P" model should be run like this. What Preferred currently get should be what F2P players get. What Subscribers currently get should be what Preferred players get. And what the whales on the Cartel Market receive should be what subscribers get. Instead the motto over at Bioware is "Monetize Everything". It kind of reminds me of the movie "Moving" with Richard Pryor where he's going through the house and the sellers keep telling him jokingly, "We're taking that with us" when referring to the pool, refrigerator, etc. Then when he finally gets to the house, the pool, refrigerator, and everything else they joked they were taking is gone. You'd like to think that this model and the way they're going about things are a joke, but it's not. It's the sad truth. Don't worry folks, P2W will be in your local Cartel Market shortly.

I'm gonna change my female human to a female zabrak. I'm gonna change my male zabrak's hair style and make it long hair(ex. Qui-Gon Jinn)

I understand your fustration regarding CM and I agree with you, I'm just not as concerned about it, me personally.