Is a cathar a good bounty hunter species? Or would it conflict with their history?

ReyFinnRenJyn

I would say to play the game any way you want. If you want a Cathar BH, then go for it. There are "good" and "bad" people in all the different species in the Star Wars Universe. Why limit yourself? Play the way you want and enjoy the game. There really is no wrong species to roll a BH with. And with the lightside/darkside integration in the game you can be a BH that's honorable and follows the path of lightside or a hunting killing machine that follows the darkside. Have fun.

The Chiss are really one of the few alien species that the empire really accepts. If you follow the lore, you will see that for the most part Chiss tend to side more with the Empire. Grand Admiral Thrawn is a perfect example, who by the way is now part of the official lore. :D

Edited by skinsrich

any ideas?

also, i know the imps arent really acceptable to aliens, so is a chiss bad to be an agent?

For the Cathar question, I'd say it would end up being a bit odd, since there are ... issues between the Cathar and the Mandalorians.

Many people say that the "definitive" Agent is Chiss (the Chiss are Imperial Allies), but someone pointed out that there are serious story reasons why a Chiss wouldn't be assigned the opening missions. A blue-skinned red-eyed alien of a species known to be an Imperial ally would stick out like a sore thumb in the environment on Hutta. For that reason, I would recommand human, red-Zabrak, Rattataki, or Twi'lek. Rattataki has one disadvantage, though, because many NPCs talk to you as if "the Rattataki" doesn't mean your Agent, even if you are one. Kaliyo herself talks to you as if you wouldn't know what being raised on Rattatak is like, but if you are a Rattataki yourself, she doesn't add anything that indicates that she's aware of that.

cat(har)s are a bad idea?

No, I meant that "cats", whether wild or domesticated, are natural hunters, so a Cathar bounty hunter makes sense to me, even if it would conflict with their "history".

From an RP perspective, your character can always be a "rogue" that doesn't follow the "normal" path of it's species.

Also, from an RP perspective, even if the Sith don't generally like "aliens", they do make exceptions for those that display great force powers and are in tune with the dark side.

(It would be nice if you could make a Republic bounty hunter (and an Imperial Smuggler), but, oh well. :) )

Edited by JediQuaker

• 5 months later...
For the Cathar question, I'd say it would end up being a bit odd, since there are ... issues between the Cathar and the Mandalorians.

Many people say that the "definitive" Agent is Chiss (the Chiss are Imperial Allies), but someone pointed out that there are serious story reasons why a Chiss wouldn't be assigned the opening missions. A blue-skinned red-eyed alien of a species known to be an Imperial ally would stick out like a sore thumb in the environment on Hutta. For that reason, I would recommand human, red-Zabrak, Rattataki, or Twi'lek. Rattataki has one disadvantage, though, because many NPCs talk to you as if "the Rattataki" doesn't mean your Agent, even if you are one. Kaliyo herself talks to you as if you wouldn't know what being raised on Rattatak is like, but if you are a Rattataki yourself, she doesn't add anything that indicates that she's aware of that.

late to the thread, but play what you want. My cathar is a bounty hunter, but she refused the mandalorian part of it. She uses the ability to freely move about space to do some good, and when she has the chance she disposes of trouble causing mandos.

late to the thread, but play what you want. My cathar is a bounty hunter, but she refused the mandalorian part of it. She uses the ability to freely move about space to do some good, and when she has the chance she disposes of trouble causing mandos.

Play what you want, of course. I wasn't saying that you can't play what you want.

That doesn't stop it being odd to be a Chiss Agent on Hutta, nor a Cathar Bounty Hunter. (And the fact that I wanted to play a Rattataki Agent doesn't change the weirdness of the dialogues.)

You can play a BH as pretty hostile towards Mandalorians if you feel like it, so a self-respecting Cathar wouldn't be too out of place there. Alternatively, you could play your character as only in it for the credits and completely ignore Mandalorian customs after joining Mandalore's clan. The options are fairly open.

You are obviously invested in the lore, I was unaware the Cathar had a history with the Mandalorians until this thread. If you care so much to create a thread about the topic, its likely this will bug you all during the time you play the character. If you can reconcile that (i.e. you aren't very obsessive-compulsive), then go for it. But if it bugs you too much, then you'll resent your character and then it won't be any fun for you.

You start as a bounty hunter. The cathar have an issue with mandalorians. Not all mandalorians are bounty hunters, not all bounty hunters are mandalorians. All the interaction you need to have with them is attending to that hunting game they're hosting.

As for the Chiss: the imps are a meritocracy first, theocracy second, race is only an issue for those that fall trough both sieves. Chiss culture is very similar, so those deemed fit to be sent to the empire will likely be the best of the best, and will have little problem fitting in.

There is another issue with the chiss agent: At best you're that weird blue guy everyone is curious about, at worst everyone knows that your people are isolationist allies of the empire. Both make undercover work a little difficult.

Edited by Mubrak

Chiss might be the most popular choice for Imperial Agent but I'd argue it is the species and class combo that makes the least sense in the game.

Chiss are very rare outside of Ascendancy space and the Ascendancy is a vassal of the Empire. That should make Chiss an extremely poor choice for a secret agent, as they should stand out like a sore thumb in Republic territory and the last thing you should want your secret agent to be is noticeable. They should immediately fall under suspicion. Humans or aliens that could easily blend in to the background in Republic space (Twi'lek, Mirialan, ect)

would be a better choice for the Agent.

Chiss are a better choice for the Sith Inquisitor (Chiss force users are extremely rare but do exist) or the Bounty Hunter.

As for Cathar bounty hunters...

The species actually makes a lot of sense for a bounty hunter giving the species reputation for being skilled hunters. Mandalorians? Less so, given that the Mandalorians are a mortal enemy of the Cathar who nearly drove them to extinction.. That said you don't necessarily have to become a Mandalorian during the Bounty Hunter class story. You can refuse it.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco