Regarding server queues

StephenReid

Hello wonderful Bioware team. I think it's safe to say you understand this is a big issue, and will act on it in good time. I understand why we're all so mad, heck I just waited in a 2 hour que and will be unable to play today because I work and have a family. I only have so much time to pretend i'm a jedi. I know some direct comments have been made, but know there are patient people out here with watchful eyes. We will wait; some of us a month, others a couple months perhaps. When two months hits (let's say this isn't dealt with at that point) you're going to have some seriously frustrated people on your hands. Some people are, even now, understandably upset. I really love your game and i've been waiting for this mmo for years, but as was stated by many, this is subscription cancelling territory we're in. I've observed how awesome your game is and from my experiences so far, I trust you guys. I back you guys 100% and I know you will come through on this serious issue. Good luck Bioware team. We know/trust you will take action and we support you! :) Edited by DragoRuun

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when game companies introduce new features on a Friday, then use the weekend as an excuse for not working on them.

In office IT you push through upgrades and resets on Friday because no one needs the office on the weekend.

In gaming, if you're going to push through some radical changes, do it on a Monday when you have all week to address the issues.

While Bioware is working on fixing this im setting up my computer for remote desktop connection. And Im going to connect to it from work and login to the game about 2 hours before I quit for the day. If I do that I should be on the character screen about when I get home :)

All you people saying "hurrdurr weekend dey rnt thur", are you kidding? It's the prelaunch for their biggest game ever and first mmo. Everyone at that company is working, as can be seen in the micro patches we're getting.

oh and just to repeat the mantra, waiting in queue and then disconnecting for some reason just to get put back in a ridiculous queue sucks. Please make connection protection. It sucks playing with your buddies and then telling them oh hey bros, be back in 3-4 hours. By then, barring they themselves haven't been disconnected, they've already done all teh quests you were doing together. That's not fun.

The old school WoW'ers are laughing at you all pitching fits right now. the first 8 MONTHS of WoW were plagued by constant server downs, restarts and glitches. Know how I remember? I'm olllld, and I was laughing on Gilgamesh server in FF11 at the time.

They do not want to make new servers until the "bloat" dies down. Otherwise they'll have empty servers when all the fleeting window shoppers decide to go back to whichever MMO they normally play. Those players are "Bloat" and if too many of them leave the same server, you'll have ghost towns and people complaining about not having any people to play with.

This is one of the reason's other MMO lose traction so soon after release. they make a bunch of new servers to kill the queses, then two months later everyone hops off to play something else and the 70 people who still play on it rage about how the MMO is a graveyard of fun and the dev's suck.

while bioware is working on fixing this im setting up my computer for remote desktop connection. And im going to connect to it from work and login to the game about 2 hours before i quit for the day. If i do that i should be on the character screen about when i get home.

amat victoria curam

Just days before a major game launch?

I believe you are mistaken, sir.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware hired some extra people just to help handle this launch.

Mate i know of people who tried to contact CS or have written Tickets which still arent unanswerd, you cannot reach anyone via phone, ticket response time is now 3 Days, the issue was well known even in the beta phase and nothing had happend so far.

The Problem is simply that there is no statement if they are even aware of the severity of the problem, not to talk about a response on how they might fix it or why it does take over 3 days to respond to a ticket.

There are other MMOs out there who have simmilar Numbers of subscribers and they don t have those problems or have fixed them soon enough. tomorow, the game is on sale and we will see a hell of people comming online and try to play. Considering the sheer ammount of servers and the fact that nearly all of them are full says me, that we are in for a big suprise tomorow.

And for the people who think they wait till the float is over, well it could cost them dearly because it is safe to say, they screwed the launch and they screwed it big time.

And since i have played SWG previous its also safe to say, that players never forget, we had people complaining about a change in the game system that happend in the first years still after 7 years.

Edited by Keylab

:eek:My guild didn't get a chance to pick servers, SWOR assigned us to an over populated server. I am not too sure if the decision to put a dis-portioned amount of guilds on one server was the idea of the upper management or just the luck of the draw. What I do know is that these queue times are an inconvenience for a lot of people. My guild does not want to take the time to re-roll (even thou it has only been a few days) hopefully SWOR will fix the issue keeping in mind the influx of players who will log in on the 20th. If possible more room needs to be added to these servers. December 20th needs to be a fresh start for the Community of Star Wars Old Republic. The developers and the managers who hold their strings have a moral obligation to the community of SWOR to make this game fun, and fun is not waiting for one hour to enter the game then DC and wait another hour. This is not a ride at the amusement park it is a community of people who help create the pay checks of the employees of Bioware and ER. Time is money. I do not have time to wait an hour in fact I cannot afford to wait even 5 minutes in order to long into a game. We waited three years for SWOR and talked about how cool it would be if they made one before it was ever a thought in Bioware’s mind. If they do not make more room on these servers or move guilds to lower populated servers all the naysayers will be right and this game will not be successful as projected. :eek:

:rolleyes: To the SWOR Bioware/ER team the paradigm that you have needs to change. Instead of thinking “they waited three years, they can wait five minutes to five hours to enter the server” is a falsehood. Instead you need to realize that you are pushing away business and come December 20th. In fact word has already got out that there is an hour wait to enter servers. The presidents of Bioware and ER are going to crap a brick when they see the projection numbers regarding the amount of money they turned away because of this. You have put together a wonderful game, but if it does not make money, your budget for improvements will like a SWG not a WOW. ;)

Greetings folks!

The previous version of this thread has exceeded our post threshold and we've recreated it for continued discussion!

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

The old school WoW'ers are laughing at you all pitching fits right now. the first 8 MONTHS of WoW were plagued by constant server downs, restarts and glitches.

And that was awful. They had no idea what they were getting into. The game was unfinished, and there was no idea how popular it was going to be. Though there were MMOs before WoW, none had the same mass appeal that WoW did. It was an awful, poorly planned launch, and there was no basis for them to judge a server launch. SWTOR has years of other mmo launches to look at. They could have purchased hardware that would have allowed more people on each of their servers so as to not create bloat. They had plenty of time to stress test in beta, so they could increase the caps on servers. They also have YEARS of games with disconnection protection - having not put it in at launch (or pre-launch if you want to be a stickler - still out of beta) was an extreme oversight. The game is still buggy, though not as bad as some other MMOs at launch, and this problem creates disconnects.

I've played many launches, and they ALL have some issue. Queues are expected, servers will be full, if they aren't handled well they go poorly. This is all true, but there are several issues that need to be addressed, and considering this is basically page 500 or so of a thread basically all QQing about server queues and disconnects, there may just be a problem. It's one thing to wait in queue once to get to your toon, it's another thing to wait in it twice or three times.

I was wondering how the servers work:

I mean, do they need to change the hardware? Or is that about the set up they have chosen for these servers?

They have done quite some stress test in the beta, i am a little bit surprised.

What is gonna happend on the 20th? they can stop additional players to join their guild in already complete servers, right?

Maybe it was part of the plan: ****** server service before the 20th ?

How can you upgrade or add the number of servers without a full day interuption of service?

If any IT guy has the knowledge to answer, that would be great!

Really, you recreated this thread because the previous thread exceeded post count.

THAT SHOULD TELL YOU HOW PISSED OFF PEOPLE ARE.

Sitting in my 45 minute que right now. Which has been the case every single time I've logged in in the past 3 days.

This game is going to crash and burn in a hurry if you don't figure out your server caps. You said it's a delicate science and that you can't have people waiting in que's too long.

Yea, 40 minutes is too *********** long. Time to loosen the slack a little.

/endrant

Sorry but the ETA on total queue times are totally wrong, too. When I connected to Fatman at 4:25pm it said 50 minutes. Its now 5:30 and the queue bar is about 60% complete. Whatever time you have listed for your server, multiply it by 2 to 2.5x and thats how long you're actually going to wait.

2 to 3 hour queues are *********** ridiculous.

Edited by Proto

This needs to be looked at before release, if these servers are full now they will be worse after release.

They need to start offering free server transfers, would be nice if servers were all around standard so when the game releases they don't get full right away, then more servers can be added as needed.

Seems like the 'fix' was to make the est wait time lower than it actually is. you know less than 10 mins does not equal 45 mins...

Edited by Ndru