Feedback request from James Ohlen - "Your Star Wars fantasy"

StephenReid

Which [I]Star Wars[/I] fantasy excites you the most?  

3,019 members have voted

1. 1. Which [I]Star Wars[/I] fantasy excites you the most?

• Full 3D space battles
    • Vehicle combat (eg, AT-ATs)
    • Pod/speeder racing
    • Capital ship battles

A dungeon/heroic mission finder. So...none of those four.

A feature that's in active development for a future Game Update.

'None of the above' isn't an option on the poll, as you may have noticed. Please keep your feedback restricted to the question and options above.

I know it's a tough choice. :)

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, this is all cool and all, but lets say we did have space battles, maybe with other players... are we all gonna have the same ships still or can we actually get some damn customisation and immersion?

They're all ok, "Swoop" Racing would be awesome and lend some cred back to Bioware and bring back the KotOR feel, But Its all fly-poo compared to the real issues at hand. Server Transfers, ugly Armor and PVP.

Agreed. Even if it was just a leader board or something to start off since it was all time trial in Kotor anyways.

I would love something similar too space combat in Battlefront II, only on a grander scale. Some having objectives to cripple/defend the ships, with others fighting out in space. Vehicle combat would be awesome as well. Not really that interested in racing, tough I would try it if it was implemented.

My fantasy is to have an open ended actual Star Wars MMO. That doesn't poo all over the lore or the license. One that doesn't use story to negate or neglect proper MMO elements or communal gameplay. One that leaves the single player game mechanics to... you guessed, single player games.

There is a danger in trying to lure people in with familiar cliches, with stereotypyical trite dialogue, designs (from clothes to quests) et al. Comparing The 'proper' Old Republic to BWs I don't see any logical progression or any familiarity... ironically TOR feels more like a Clone Wars Prelude than a predecessor to The Golden Age of The Sith.

But if we were to keep my fantasy simple for now. I'd like to see in-game actual community goings-on e.g. SWG invasions were as much a public spectacle as they were engaging and that brought some life to the worlds. We need things like this. BW have not really forged a core with the players and the ones that you have tried for simply aren't the people who will stay and play.

.... oh and a Star Wars game without one single man fighter mechanic, you guys the wrong kind of crazy.

All of the above should be added too, I may just keep my sub.

Edited by Caspian_Rho

I went for capital ship battles. I really want something more tactical and team-based, where each player has a station (weapons, engineering, sensors, etc) and special skills/abilities based on that. This may or may not be what they mean by "capital ship battles", of course. (What I really hope NOT to see is "capital ship battles" which are "starfighter/small ship battles but with capital ship models".)

Also, this is all cool and all, but lets say we did have space battles, maybe with other players... are we all gonna have the same ships still or can we actually get some damn customisation and immersion?

No, with the fact that your ships are quest hubs, it would be very hard for bioware to give ship customization in terms of chasis' and models... Inside is fine, but outside is most likely a no... or it would take a lot of work... And going back on their own words

No, with the fact that your ships are quest hubs, it would be very hard for bioware to give ship customization in terms of chasis' and models... Inside is fine, but outside is most likely a no... or it would take a lot of work... And going back on their own words

Thats why i went capital ships XD

All four ideas are great.

The space combat stuff is really nice. I found I love space combat, despite not expecting to like it at all.

However, totally new gameplay is something I'd like to see, so I voted for vehicle combat. That could be something really amazing.

Podracing is another fun thing I'd love to see. I can't imagine us not having that at some stage.

So, while some cynics say "none of the above," I say "all of the above" ;)

-Bel

I voted for Pod/Speeder racing because we already have some form of space combat. It would be nice to have something completely different added to the game first.

I would also love to see vehicle combat like the Battle of Hoth from ESB.

I put capital ship battles, since I would think that would also be part of 3d space battles. I could see a mix of capital ships and personal fighters in the mix. Maybe the point could be to defend your capital ship.

The full 3D Space Combat appeals to me the most. I loved the JTL expansion in Galaxies...I loved having my own personal ship and just dogfighting with other ships (player and NPC).

I do like the space combat system now because to me it's an enjoyable, arcade-style flight game that's cool for killing time here and there.

However, I'd absolutely love if we got something along the lines of what Galaxies, Battlefront 2, or even Ace Combat had.

I picked full 3d space battles, because I think the space minigame although fun, doesn't have the depth I would want. This would mean you probably revamping the ship components and want not, because I could see a few things that would be OP in space battles (pvp).

Look at the X-wing and Tie Fighter games. Those are Star Wars through and through. A huge portion of the movies are dedicated to massive space battles, it's without a doubt one of the most pivotal parts of Star Wars.

They could let us buy and mod another ship besides our class ship, something smaller like an x-wing for example, a ship that we use for short range battles rather than long range flight, that way we keep our quest hub/base so it would be the best of both worlds

Why must you include all the options that I would want implemented?

Do you enjoy tormenting? :p

But in all seriousness, I chose full 3D Space battles (Like how Battlefront series had it) just because Space Combat can be something new done in the MMO Genre.

But really, I would love all of them :)

Edited by Celwinn

One interesting option for capital ship battles would be to allow Battle Meditation to influence it. Give a Battle Meditation player a set of varying buffs and debuffs that they can direct at different parts of the battle, shifting them with opportunity. That could open up fun participation opportunities for people who might not otherwise be that into the capital ship battle. (The current “clickfest while you’re riding the invisible rail” space combats have a lot of cognitive dissonance for me, which is why I voted for full 3D space combat.)

My first SW video game was X-Wing on ye olde floppy diske. As others have said, those games (well, "Alliance" was so-so) really had an immersive and engaging style that many would love to experience again. I did, in fact, set up DOS-Box to fire up my CD versions again and found that I was not just romanticizing the past -- they were still great. I think the style was a happy medium between "rails" and "sandbox"... but "open world" space events would also be a lot of fun, I think.

Thoughts on "Capital Ship Battles":

- Would this be something like a warzone, where two teams each man a ship and must perform certain functions on the ship (including perhaps board/repel boarders)?

- In SW, the epic battles were not between capital ships, but between fleets. Does this option mean "fleet battle including capital" or just 1v1 corvette vs destroyer?

Edited by dlakur

I don't think it should be about what we want, it's about what your team is passionate about and skilled/experienced at implementing. I could rattle of a huge list of cool games involving all those features, but even if every response you got was the same, it wouldn't matter if your team didn't really care about that or didn't have the experience to pull it off. I would rather have an awesome version of any of those than a half-assed version that you put in just because it's what people were clamoring for.

If you think you can nail an X-Wing/Tie Fighter level of quality in space combat, then go for it. If you can pull off awesome capitol ship combat (Pirates of the Burning Sea has hands down the best ship combat of any kind in an MMO, translate that to space somehow and you have gold). If the honest answer is (perfectly reasonably) that your people would do the best job expanding the rail shooter, then go that way, I would kill for more missions and more variations of the rails on those missions.

Do what your people are good at and have passion for, otherwise it's not going to be mediocre, no matter what the fans want.

All ideas are quite nice. I'd go for racing but that's mostly because I really like race games (aside from MMO's and RPG's. And that one pod racing game from way back was awesome. Something like that please.