You can buy account unlocks and cartel items with CREDITS w00t!

ChazDoit

When they announced F2P I was happy that they were making the game more accesible but I was very afraid they were going to nickle and dime us to death, you know EA is not the most consumer friendly company. I even suggested to have an alternate way to get cartel items, in my signature is the link for a suggestion thread. However my suggestion is no longer necessary because pretty much everything there is on the Cartel Market you can buy it with credits even the Quickbars, the Unlocks to Unify your colors to Hide your helmet, everything! Even content, I see authorization to enter to Section X going on the GTN.

I played Lague of Legends for many months (not playing much lately) and I really liked the Idea that you don't have to spend any money to unlock new champions, you can buy one with real money and it's much quicker than having to earn all the in-game points required to unlock one, but if you don't want to spend the money there is an option to get them for free, now there are some things that you HAVE to pay for in LOL, the skins, which are only cosmetic, so that is a source of revenue for Riot.

Now SWTOR is taking it a step further, it's not only some items that can be bought with credits, Everything can be bought with credits, cosmetic items, unlocks, content, etc because they are all tradeable, I've seen tons of stuff going on the GTN for some ridiculosly cheap prices which I should mention have been dropping and might continue to drop even more.

I have agreed with many people on the forums when they said that selling quickbars was a bad move, but if you can get them for 150k on the GTN, and belive me, i've seen them. Then it doesn't really matters. Besides this is a huge middle finger to gold farmers, the other day I bought a bunch of stuff from a guy, Bioware received money, He received credits in a legit way and I got the stuff I wanted from the cartel market without having to spend a dime, everyone won.

I think this is a great move, it renders most of the criticisms of SWTOR F2P model irrelevant and is particularly great for returning players that have some credits saved on their characters.

Edited by ChazDoit

So what? there's always gonna be somone selling overpriced stuff, but the majority of the items I've seen on the GTN are going out super cheap.

Check this out QUICkBARS GOING FOR 100k

I mean this is ridiculous, to think that there's people on the forum that have been complaining for hours about Bioware selling quickbars, in that timeframe they could have gotten the 100k to buy one.

By the way if you want speeder piloting 1, you can buy it from the Legacy Window for 40k so..... in your face!

Edited by ChazDoit

Pretty sure the fact that everything would be sellable in-game was announced around the same time f2p itself was. Heck, the lockout time has even been known for some time now.

That being said, I must admit I find it amusing people are trying to sell things that subs get for free, (i.e. cargo bay access and the like) for more credits than non-subs can even have. Probably because nowhere on the official site (that I can find) does it mention that non-subs have at best a 350k credit limit.

Pretty sure the fact that everything would be sellable in-game was announced around the same time f2p itself was. Heck, the lockout time has even been known for some time now.

That being said, I must admit I find it amusing people are trying to sell things that subs get for free, (i.e. cargo bay access and the like) for more credits than non-subs can even have. Probably because nowhere on the official site (that I can find) does it mention that non-subs have at best a 350k credit limit.

Not necessarily, I have some friends that want to try the game and those unlocks could be nice gifts for them, meaning I buy them and then give it to them.

Edited by ChazDoit

Not necessarily, I have some friends that want to try the game and those unlocks could be nice gifts for them, meaning I buy them and then give it to them.

I think it is a great thing that you can get unlocks for friends. It makes the game more friendly and social /grin

I completely agree, I love this flexibility BW added. It's a great way for people who can't afford to buy Cartel Coins, and great gifts for friends, and it also won't unbalance the economy since player credits just switch hands.

GJ on this one BW! I'm also buying unlocks and authorizations from GTN myself. And like you said everyone's happy, BW gets money, seller gets credits and I get Cartel Market item without spending a dime.

actually I think thats great. you have people who want to avoid giving ea money, so they farm virtual money ingame. you have people who buy cartel coins for easy ingame cash. seems everyones going to be happy like that.

one has to see how the prices develop in the future when most people don't have their starting coins anymore.

what would really like to buy they don't have.

I would like to level as slow as someone wihtout a subscription (because levelling is too easy and fast for me)

but I also would not want the inconvenience of a free account.

and I would like to buy the pre 1.4 gunslinger sounds which they changed and I want back so badly, but I could not find them in the cartel shop :(

I completely agree, I love this flexibility BW added. It's a great way for people who can't afford to buy Cartel Coins, and great gifts for friends, and it also won't unbalance the economy since player credits just switch hands.

GJ on this one BW! I'm also buying unlocks and authorizations from GTN myself. And like you said everyone's happy, BW gets money, seller gets credits and I get Cartel Market item without spending a dime.

It's awesome for returning players, I had 5 million credits saved up when I came back and burned them all. Now I really wish I hadn't because the prices have gone down considerably since then. But I'm still happy that I got almost everything I wanted and I still haven't spent the Cartel Coins that I earned from my previous subscriptions

You know, when they said the items will be tradeable I imagined they were referring to weapons, armors, vanity items, mounts, etc. I didn't imagine that account unlocks and content packs like (Section X) would actually be tradeable, I thought they would automatically applied to your account, which would have sucked.

By the way they did it is great, it's a huge hit for them a NOBODY is giving them credit, everyone is too busy complaining on the "stop nickel and diming us" thread to realize they can buy the stuff with credits. this puts a serious dent on gold farmers, and gives players a lot of flexibility, if you want tons of credits you can sell cartel items, if you don't want to spend real money you can buy cartel items from the GTN and if you want to gift some cartel items to a friend you can do that too.

Good Job!

I laughed hard when sow how many unlocks sells for more credits that F2P/Preferred accounts could have...

To rely on gifts only ... are someone going to do it?

I don't see how that's a problem, many of us resubscribed to get all the cartel coins, so we don't have any credit cap at the moment,

Edited by ChazDoit

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

There you go. Hover your mouse over the triangles to get the information.

I plan on doing this with earnings from my dailies for my son, who opened a f2p account. But first, I will have him subscribe for a month to get the preferred status. Then, I will get him whatever I can. Only then, after all that, will we spend real money on the carel shop, if needed.

The caps are listed on the site, on the features page.

Thanks for the link. Good to see they've finally gotten more specific about the differences, though their chat differences could use a bit more explanation.

(P.S. I'd also like to point out it's a new page, it wasn't there a week ago when I was trying to find the credit cap when trying to decide if I wanted to go F2P. Had to get it from DarthHater. Better late than never though, I suppose.)

I don't see how that's a problem, many of us resubscribed to get all the cartel coins, so we don't have any credit cap at the moment,

Not to mention that all the people complaining about the quickbars and the nickel and diming on the forums Dont Have any Credit Cap!

Put it all up for sale. I have legacy set from rakghoul event, in fact i have 4 full sets i would like to sell. lets start being a able to sell it. gambing and buying is what makes me love these type of economys in MMOs. I was suprised to see so many unlocks up for sale. smart move by BW truly. I also have most of the corrupted companion looks I would like to sell.

I Love playing mogul so lets put it all up for sale!

When they announced F2P I was happy that they were making the game more accesible but I was very afraid they were going to nickle and dime us to death, you know EA is not the most consumer friendly company. I even suggested to have an alternate way to get cartel items, in my signature is the link for a suggestion thread. However my suggestion is no longer necessary because pretty much everything there is on the Cartel Market you can buy it with credits even the Quickbars, the Unlocks to Unify your colors to Hide your helmet, everything! Even content, I see authorization to enter to Section X going on the GTN.

I played Lague of Legends for many months (not playing much lately) and I really liked the Idea that you don't have to spend any money to unlock new champions, you can buy one with real money and it's much quicker than having to earn all the in-game points required to unlock one, but if you don't want to spend the money there is an option to get them for free, now there are some things that you HAVE to pay for in LOL, the skins, which are only cosmetic, so that is a source of revenue for Riot.

Now SWTOR is taking it a step further, it's not only some items that can be bought with credits, Everything can be bought with credits, cosmetic items, unlocks, content, etc because they are all tradeable, I've seen tons of stuff going on the GTN for some ridiculosly cheap prices which I should mention have been dropping and might continue to drop even more.

I have agreed with many people on the forums when they said that selling quickbars was a bad move, but if you can get them for 150k on the GTN, and belive me, i've seen them. Then it doesn't really matters. Besides this is a huge middle finger to gold farmers, the other day I bought a bunch of stuff from a guy, Bioware received money, He received credits in a legit way and I got the stuff I wanted from the cartel market without having to spend a dime, everyone won.

I think this is a great move, it renders most of the criticisms of SWTOR F2P model irrelevant and is particularly great for returning players that have some credits saved on their characters.

Your talking about other players buying the stuff and then selling it on the GTN... That's not exactly the same thing as allowing people to buy anything on the Cash Shop with in game money... For one you have to wait around for someone willing to spend real money to buy it then turn around and sell it on the GTN....

I guess it's better then not having the option at all...

This is indeed a design if it works out well.

But i have to wonder if subbed players will be properly motivated to put mundane stuff like character unlocks up on the GTN. Especially for the more expensive stuff like the section X unlock, would a subbed player be willing to spend 600 cartel coins for a chance of selling it for at most 350k creds?

I've seen Section X (account) for like 350K on Jedi Covenant, it's incredible value considering it's access for ALL your characters.

I think they do the same with Makeb

They where a million on Ebon Hawk recently and I thought that's not right as well preferred and F2P haven't access to that sort of money . Then it dawned on me if someone wants to buy it for a friend or if a person was thinking of unsubbing they could buy before they unsub , problem solved. I'm sure they are cheaper today though and probably about 800 k.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb