Dealing With Your Opposites

iamthehoyden

The way our companions are set up, you have some that trend light side and some that trend dark side. Either way, you're going to have companions that are on the opposite side from your toon. How does your character deal with them?

My bounty hunter is mostly light side. She hates and despises Skadge and will be jettisoning his lardy behind A.S.A.P. Gault and her get along because

he's got a soft spot for his ex

and he's funny. She's pretty into money so they see eye to eye there.

My trooper gets along with Vik cause they both like to blow things up, and because he actually will follow orders when it comes down to it. Plus he gets stuff done, not the best way all the time, but it gets done. 4X is a bit on the gray side, but she keeps a leash on the worst of his "kill all Imps" attitude.

My jk doesn't really get along with Rusk. She tolerates him and lets him stand in her ship where he can't get anyone killed. I guess him and Doc are both more on the gray side really. Doc...she can work with but

his efforts to actually make a new disease just so he can get famous curing it are SERIOUSLY a problem and if he keeps it up she'll be looking for a way to take him out.

And the real reason I made this thread :p ...Scourge. Even though my jk is hugely light (even without diplomacy keeping her all shiny and pure) she gets along with Scourge because there's mutual respect there. He makes her think and question stuff, challenges her and tests her, and in an odd way, makes her a better person for it.

So how do your toons deal with their opposites?

For my smuggler, she doesn't really have "opposites" so to speak, though she and Akaavi are on the surface very different. But once they got to where they understood each other - Akaavi knew that smuggler was being honest even when she appeared to be facetious, and smuggler knew that Akaavi's tough mannerisms came from a real place - they became good friends. Same thing with Risha.

My SI is LS - yeah yeah I know - so Khem hates her. Screw that.

I'm gonna let Zash have his body. Zash is the best.

The rest seem to mesh pretty well...

Skadge and Torian should just get off my ship already. Skadge is a putz and Boring-an Cadera just wastes space in front of the lockers. His whole "Honor honor courage honor honor glory blabla mando'a" spiel is really pissing me off because I went out of my way to spit in the face of every Mandalorian I met in the story. That's not so much a Dark side/Light side thing as it is a thing that my character really despises Mandalorians and everything they represent. Edited by HellbirdIV

Skadge and Torian should just get off my ship already. Skadge is a putz and Boring-an Cadera just wastes space in front of the lockers. His whole "Honor honor courage honor honor glory blabla mando'a" spiel is really pissing me off because I went out of my way to spit in the face of every Mandalorian I met in the story. That's not so much a Dark side/Light side thing as it is a thing that my character really despises Mandalorians and everything they represent.

Well then

you are going to hate the ending.

BH ending spoilers

Huh?

Really? I was dark side and I rejected mandalore and I loved the ending. If you are light side the BH does spill the whole honor crap when you beat tormen and all that other mando junk. I personally killed the chancellor and filled out my contract with tormen I like working with that guy.

So far, ive found my opposites to be quite amusing.

Gault for instance seems to be at polar ends from my bounty hunter, in how i initially played him and how he has dealt with the various contracts.

However the more conversations i have with Gault, the more i find myself liking him and my bounty hunter getting an insight and appreciation of him.

(Yeah he is a con artist, but its not about the money so much as the thrill of doing it, and seeing how much you can get away with. Much like the thrill of the hunt)

My Jedi Knight is rather open, so he gets along with everyone with the occasional difference of opinion with Doc.(he wants to be a hero for the glory, i am a hero just because).

My inquisitor likewise seems to get along with everyone. Talos did not like it when i brushed off some imperial issues in favor of my own agenda, but our shared love for the past made up for it.

Im starting a new Agent, and it will be interesting to see how Kalilyo and I get along or not. She has anarchy listed as a postive trait. Not sure how that will work with my agent.

Ive

My SW is light side but that doesn't mean i get along with the light companions and hate the dark ones. me and Pierces are bros and only disagree when it comes to murder. Quinn is just annoying and i only like him for his strategy and healing. Broonmark feels more like an apprentice then jaesa is because I'm teaching him the light where as jaesa is already there. i

Since it is easy to see how each character gets along along with their own companions, I often think more about how characters would get along with companions from other classes.

For example, in terms of my Light-sided Jedi Knight and the Jedi Consular companions, I imagine my knight would have respect for Qyzen Fess's honor (but would have some misgivings about his attitude of killing strong opponents) and would get along famously with Nadia Grell. On the other hand, he not like Zenith at all due to his very strong hatred for the Empire and refusal to aid people in need just because they've helped the Empire at one point or another.

My main toon is a bounty hunter that I always imagined as a family man. The kind of kid who was a military brat who wanted to go fight in the big war with daddy, but mommy didn't approve and daddy was "conveniently" shipped to the front lines for one reason or another *alien*.

To be fair, my bounty hunter is pretty easy going so long as he's not provoked. If you're good to him he's good to you, and if you're not he doesn't care as long as you don't cause problems.

Gault - Disapproves of his methods, but trusts that he isn't stupid and won't do anything especially harmful or get them arrested.

Torian - Is more a man of family and doing what's right rather than honor and duty for the glory of Mandalore. However, those both usually entail the same things, so they get along alright.

Blizz - I love Blizz.

and, to be expected.

Skadge - skip to 9:55. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxgWrmW2qY

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting question.

My LS Mercenary deals with Gault by sharing a low sense of humour and a high love of money. He deals with Skadge by looking for the (few) redeeming traits Skadge has (honour, care for his own - these come into evidence in his companion conversations) and generally keeping him on the ship where he can't do much harm. As a Lawful Good character once remarked of a Chaotic Evil teammate, "it's like a work-release program".

My LS Sorcerer deals with Khem by keeping him firmly in line (the alternative is to wait for Khem to either leave or try to kill him), with Andronikos as a battle-buddy (little does Nikos know that Sorc-boy is lusting after him) and with Xalek in a kind, but firm, Master-student relationship.

My DS Marauder deals with Vette by making sure she's not around whenever he has to kick a puppy. He prefers to go out fighting with Quinn, anyway - the heals are nice, and it's always possible that Quinn might catch a fatal shot. We can but dream.

For my BH, it goes like this:

Mako is like a little sister to her. Sweet, but also fiesty. They get along great; they tease one another all the time.

Gault is such a smart ***. Asania loves it. They joke and clown around at times, but can have a serious talk once in a while. She appreciates it immensely.

Torian is the love of her life. I'm trying to come up with a haedcanon about how they finally got together (like, her parents force her into an arranged marriage to keep her brother alive, as he is force sensitive and the Chiss nromally disapprove). Either way, they're both powerful Mandalorians, in both physicality and love for one another.

Blizz is the cutest thing ever. He is the baby of the group. Everyone is nice to him, and they get along swimmingly

Skadge is the one who Asania used to have issues with. Since he is overly violent, it took the crew a while to get used to him. He's loyal, Asania gives him that. They get along okay, but they butt heads.

I haven't met all the warrior companions yet, so I maybe will update this later :D

Uggh. My hardcore mercenary smuggler deals with Corso by insulting him when he insists on talking and avoiding him the rest of the time. She grudgingly tolerates Bowdaar. At least he appreciates good business most of the time.

My LS warrior just ignores Broonmark. No reason to take him out unless there's killing to do. Honestly, I would've rejected his service if I could've.

My Agent indulges Kaliyo when he can, because hey, she's funny, but he simply smacks her bad-for-the-Empire ideas down. Then sleeps with her to make it up to her. We have a good "amusedly tolerant" vibe.

My Inquisitor ignores Ashara. Her conversations are bewildering because at some point she decided I was a reasonable human (Pureblood?) being and started talking accordingly, so I kind of smile and nod because I have no idea what she's talking about. My brutal DS lady actually changes her ways to accommodate Talos, because he's just that damn adorable.

My pure-LS Knight respects Lord Scourge. And lays off the Jedi preaching, trying instead to genuinely engage with him. I'd like to corrupt him to my side as much as he would like to corrupt me. Meanwhile, as a very serious kind of guy, my Knight gets along with Doc because we're both very interested in preserving life. I still feel dirty agreeing with him; he's so slimy he actually manages to taint things like "rescuing orphans" and "saving planets from blowing up."

Ooh, interesting question! :)

My SW's attitude can basically be summed up as, "I kill all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but I don't kill all of the people all of the time." Thus, most of the disagreement with her policies come from Vette, Jaesa when she's having a DS day, Pierce, and Broonmark.

...wait a minute, that's everyone but Quinn. :rolleyes: Oh, well.

My SW handles any such disagreements with either a reasoned explanation (Vette, Jaesa) or a glare and a reminder that "I am the Sith here and you will do what I say." (Pierce, Broonmark) If that's not enough, there's always the Pureblood racial... :D

My SI, being the darkest of all my characters, gets along well with most of the crew. As for Ashara, I just pretend that

when I had the option on Taris to [Let the ghost kill Ashara], I let the darned ghost kill Ashara, because I find her incredibly annoying.

As far as Talos goes, well, I think bright_ephemera said it best:

My brutal DS lady actually changes her ways to accommodate Talos, because he's just that damn adorable.

Yeah. I think he's the only person that my SI goes out of her way to be genuinely nice to.

My IA started out neutral and then took a plunge over the DS cliff at the end of chapter one. It only got worse from there. She also remained pro-Empire, despite...certain plot events. If anyone objects to her actions, she tends to ignore them. The only person whose opinion actually matters to her is Vector, and they've pretty much agreed to disagree on the whole killing people thing. Love doesn't always make sense. :o

Hm. My Knight rarely agrees with Scourge or Sergeant Rusk (Scourge moreso) but still respects them. They don't spend a ton of time with each other anyway so it's not a huge deal. He tries to persuade Rusk away from his ways but doesn't even bother with Scourge.

My LS sith warrior gets along fine with vette and jaesa. He has a few disagreements with peirce and broonmark, but keeps them around because theyr'e useful. (peirce because he keeps quinn in line, and broonmark because his loyalty is to me, not the empire)

He does enjoy insulting that idiot moff that ruined quinn's career though.

I’ve only had a couple that were real opposites.

My LS agent despises Kaliyo, to the point where I’ve headcannoned that, using Lokin’s medical expertise Vector’s Killik pheromones, (story spoilers)

and knowledge of Castellan restraints,

she’s brainwashed into being at least semi-loyal. She’s still a anarchist nut, but she’s my anarchist nut. That’s got to be a fate worse than death to someone with her personality. Don’t have SCORPIO yet though so I can’t comment on her.

My DS warrior, on the other hand, gets along fine with Vette. He wasn’t always DS, so he liked Vette in the beginning. Later she became the voice of his conscience, and finally, more like a child. An indulged niece. Such quaint notions, you go right on believing the galaxy works that way, dear. We grownups know better, but I won’t burst your bubble. And no, he didn’t romance her.

Smuggler likes her ship to be just her and Corso, so Bowie got enough money to set himself up on Nar Shaddaa and/or references to other captains. Risha's on Coruscant

fighting to get her planet back.

Akaavi was so wowed by Smuggler's sister, Bounty Hunter, that she let herself be adopted into Clan Ordo. (There may or may not be a lot of matchmaking between her and Corridan. And when I say may not, I mean there is.)

Speaking of Bounty Hunter- she shot Gault in the head the minute he tried to sweet-talk her on Tatooine and might drop Blizz off on Nar Shaddaa to live with Bowie.

My new baby Inquisitor stuck Khem back in his stasis field the moment he stopped being useful- aka, after he showed her to the map. She's off wandering the galaxy at Zash's bidding, and I suspect will be so damn lonely by the time she meets Andronikos, she just might drag him back to her ship before he asks to come with her. I don't know much about the storyline, but I think she and Talos will have the biggest scholar-crush evar. (Nikos will put him in his place about any other kind of crush, though.)

Speaking of Bounty Hunter- she shot Gault in the head the minute he tried to sweet-talk her on Tatooine

In some ways I really wish I'd avoided the spoilers for more classes (I'm still hanging on to my IA ignorance by a thread), cause it was a lot of fun to go through my bounty hunter questline without knowing what was coming. Cause this one...dear old Gault....

I had not a single CLUE he was going to be a crew member. My light side bounty hunter had already spared a couple marks, so she wasn't sure when she got the assignment if this one would live or die...until she met him. At that point I was on the computer muttering "he's so going to die; I'm killing him the first time I get a chance" and then he ends up on my crew?!? It was a massive "you've got to be kidding!" moment, I think my jaw dropped for a couple minutes. At this point, he's grown on me, so I'm kind of glad I didn't get the chance to off him then, but oh yeah he totally would have been dead.

Mako is totally my DS BH's opposite. Whiny and too do goody with no stomach for violence. Torian is kind of bleh. Gault is devious with a sense for business but is kind of a coward ((but at least not as whiny as Guss)). Skadge totally fits my BH. I see my BH as the type leading a kill team of mercs and he would certainly have at least 2-3 people with Skadge-like attitudes. Skadge strikes me as someone who would fit in a show like Sopranos or Sons of Anarchy. My BH would be Clay, Skadge would be Tig, Torian would be a wimpy Jax, Gault is kind of like Chucky with no missing fingers, Blizz would be the recruit that never makes it. Mako would be a wimpy version of Cherry.

My Jedi Knight actually prefers Rusk because he is straight up and no nonsense. She has respect for Scourge as someone she can kind of spar with mentally. Doc is totally not her type. Jedi barely romance the ideal people and this guy is completely amoral and chauvinistic. Kira would totally be a sister in battle for her. My JK isn't a techie so she isn't close to t7 but would still value his loyalty and expertise.

My Smuggler definitely sees the amoral Risha as a sister. Corso is someone she would kind of string along. Bowdaar just seems to be a shameless wookie plug to mirror Han/Chewbacca. I don't think a typical honor bound wookie would suffer my amoral smuggler for too long. Akaavi is almost the same case. Guss seems to get along with ehr decisions but hs whininess would turn her off.

I tried to refuse helping Bowdaar in the arena as hard as I could.

My JC is kind of intrigued by Qyzen and seems to get along ok with Iresso and Nadia is kind of his match romantically. Zenith is kind of uninteresting and Tharan is kind of amoral for him.

My Trooper doesn't really relate to Jorgen who seems too honorable. Same for Elara. M14x sounds heroic but he actually seems to approve of all my DS Trooper's bloodthirsty decisions. Vik seems to get along with her but she wouldn't trust him. Yuun seems too weird and flaky for ehr tastes.

My SW is the type who hates everyone but he would suffer the presence of Broonmark and Pierce (for their straight forward brutal logic) and Malavai (since he is loyal and efficient). He would have killed Vette long ago as a worthless, disloyal slave. Even DS Jaesa isn't dark enough for him and he would have probably sent her on a suicide mission already.

My SI thinks Khem Val and Xalek are hideous monsters ((they would have done better under my SW)). Adronikos is a chauvinistic pig who would have probably provoked her into killing him by now. Talos is a wimp but he knows to keep his head low and provide info well enough so she would tolerate him for that. Ashara with her defiance would have probably invited my Inquisitor to simply mentally destroy her and enslave her against her will.

Finally my agent. Kaliyo is her opposite in amny ways but viewed as an interesting conundrum to broaden her horizons. She is romancing Vector (he is honorable and the bug thing does not turn her off)) and finds Lokin useful enough. I have not gotten Scorpio or Temple to join me yet.

In short though, since I am a lore freak I do try to max all characters affection to see what the lore is like.

My trooper dislikes Tanno but his skills are needed for the mission and now she's gotten used to having someone rougher on her crew.

My bounty hunter would never, ever allow a bully like Skadge to be near her much less part of her crew and I have no idea what purpose keeping him alive was supposed to serve.