RP'ers Should be Accommodated

RobertFKennedyUS

Depends on the group. If it is a group of roleplayers, then yea they can but if it just a couple of roleplayers and couple non-roleplayers the roleplayers for the most part will not roleplay because of the non roleplayers in the group in case the non roleplayers are in a hurry to finish the flashpoint. Roleplayers on a whole are a bit more respective to other groups.

Makes sense!

Hey, I used to do same thing on Progenitor some 2 or 3 years ago. In FP and in Heroics. Mostly worked.

I mean I just stayed IC and commented some things IC. Mostly people kinda joined in with their comments.

If I got a group that just silently speed ran the FP, and/or told me to shut up, I usually left the group. No fun for me with them, and no fun for them with me :)

Ahh I see. Well I didn't want to bother anyone so I stopped when they asked me to! :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it all the time in RP hotspots.

Just wanted to correct something. I went to EH recently and talked to some RP'ers. It might very well be that the conversation I heard from before then was done in say.

Fundamentally though I wonder if that changes anything. Non-RP'ers will still overhear such comments and the potential for trolling is still there, and could be averted easily by either leaving EH alone or having a separate RP instance.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

Roleplayers can make their own channel on the new servers (which can be password protected), it's not gonna be possible to RP in General/PvP and Trade, both since it interrupts others and since the RP will just fall between the chairs as the population who does it is already small. I think the key here isn't that new servers should be accommodated to roleplayers, I think most of us agree that we rather see roleplayers on their own servers, but in this case that is not how things will be and thus the roleplayers have to adapt to fit in with the majority of the player base.

It's gonna be a give and take, if roleplayers are not able to make sacrifices and adjust how they play, they shouldn't expect the vast majority of the player base to adjust for the roleplayers.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

To be honest, there should be no reason anyone has to "adjust" to being with roleplayers. They require nothing but to be left alone and the vast majority of them play exactly like any other average player outside of RP. Roleplayers won't ruin your PvP, flashpoints or operations, in fact they might make them better simply because there will be more people for everyone to engage in game content with.

The only thing anyone will have to do is not go out of their way to disrupt people. That is legitimately the only thing- and if you're dedicated to making this coming community merge work, all you have to do is let other people alone. That's it, end of issue, end of thought. It really couldn't be any simpler, and whether you love PvP, operations, RP, story or anything else, that is all you have to do to make it work. And I have faith that we can.

Edited by SourOrange

Just wanted to correct something. I went to EH recently and talked to some RP'ers. It might very well be that the conversation I heard from before then was done in say.

Fundamentally though I wonder if that changes anything. Non-RP'ers will still overhear such comments and the potential for trolling is still there, and could be averted easily by either leaving EH alone or having a separate RP instance.

I honestly think there is little that a RP instance will do. Dedicated trolls (who you seem to be worrying about) will simply switch to that instance to troll RP'ers further, and genchat is shared between all instances of a planet, IIRC. It won't really be any different than the current situation. As I said before, you will still be relying on convention (and the laziness of trolls) for protection. As of right now, on Ebon Hawk, there is nothing preventing someone from switching from Harby and trolling. It'll be no different on the new server, which is why I don't think this argument has any merit whatsoever.

Ignoring will only go so far, and it's already available. Ignoring an account or legacy might work. Squelching would turn into an absolute disaster as soon as the trolls figured out they could just as easily use it to squelch RP'ers. It's been tried before, and didn't work.

There is little BioWare can do to protect RP'ing to the extent that the RP'ers on this forum seem to expect - apart from hiring full-time mods or creating player moderators, which is rather unreasonable to expect. Ranked PvP'ers can't really do anything about trolls throwing matches. I wouldn't expect RP'ers to get a solution to trolling that is (arguably) less materially harmful (though I know you will not see it this way).

A great many roleplayers will be transferring to Star Forge from Ebon Hawk - probably enough, in conjunction with the awareness of the matter that has been raised on the forums - to make the community relatively safe for them. There is both safety in numbers and community perception. Which, incidentally, is the system already in place.

Roleplayers should be accommodated, absolutely. But NOT in allowing them to perform wherever they want.

RP situations usually exclude anyone who doesn't agree with the flow (for example, a player claiming to be a Sith on the Jedi Fleet would simply be ignored more than included) while two groups trying to perform at the same time will overlap, not join forces.

I think instead of letting RP happen anywhere in general chat they could create a universal channel called Roleplay to accommodate those who wish to roleplay and still allow people nearby to jump in should they wish to.

I'd also love to see instances, such as flashpoints, gain a Roleplay mode (wherein the enemies are the same as story mode, but begin yellow and award no xp nor drop any loot). This would offer them more space other than a fleet to perform. They could even find a way to add a pause button for the instance, to allow for stage direction.

Overall I have always found demands from RP'ers to allow them to perform anywhere ignorant of just how limiting RP can be with no resources directed towards it, as well as how the people who participate are just as insular and cliquey as PVP focused groups of players can be. If we truly wish to accommodate RP, it should be within the confines of the game, not just letting them run wild.

Red Eclipse player here. I created 2 clones of my mains few years ago on Progenitor to replay class stories, try some RP and check out how RP servers 'work'. I saw little-to-none RP in the wild, the DK chat was busting with World War II discussion, some people were great, some were just trolling all day long.

Maybe the community is significantly nicer now that big chunk oft the RP-casual playerbase moved to TRE, but few years back, with the exception of occasional RP-in-the-wild, it was hard to tell these servers apart. Already back then it was obvious that the lion share of RPing was happening in private groups/secluded instances and within guilds.

So to be honest, while I expect some higher level of griefing/trolling of RPers after the merge than on the current incarnation of Progenitor (and other RP servers), I'm not really buying some of the major concers mentioned in the topic. Most hardcore RPers do it in exclusive (not to say - 'cliquish') secluded communities and probably never venture out in the 'wild'. Those who greet/try to engage players on Starter and Capital planets are already immine to any trolling because they obviously saw it countless times, on the RP servers themselves.

Adding RP instance and enforcing rules within it would be my suggested solution.

Edited by Pietrastor

Just give it up and let it die. Enough RPers have now posted here to tell you how it is. If anyone is going to be worried, it will be us, not you. And most of us either aren’t or we are optimistic enough that there will be little to no problems. All you are doing is fear mongering and trying to argue about something that doesn’t even affect you. Leave it alone, you are doing more harm than good. If you really do wanted to help RPers, you’d just stop.

Edited by Totemdancer

Just give it up and let it die. Enough RPers have now posted here to tell you how it is. If anyone is going to be worried, it will be us, not you. And most of us either aren’t or we are optimistic enough that there will little to no problems. All you are doing is fear mongering and trying to argue about something that doesn’t even affect you. Leave it alone, you are doing more harm than good. If you really do wanted to help RPers, you’d just stop.

If you keep posting such sensible things I'm going to ask you out on a date. Oh wait...:rak_03:

Hugs,

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I honestly think there is little that a RP instance will do. Dedicated trolls (who you seem to be worrying about) will simply switch to that instance to troll RP'ers further, and genchat is shared between all instances of a planet, IIRC. It won't really be any different than the current situation. As I said before, you will still be relying on convention (and the laziness of trolls) for protection. As of right now, on Ebon Hawk, there is nothing preventing someone from switching from Harby and trolling. It'll be no different on the new server, which is why I don't think this argument has any merit whatsoever.

Instances would go a long way toward preventing trolling because most trolls are just going after the low hanging fruit. They're not putting any effort into trolling, they're responding to the text or player characters that are right in front of them while messing around in their cargo bay, or while waiting for a queue to pop or an Ops group to form. Most of the trolling of RPers in the Fleet cantina occurs because it takes place near lots of other players standing around with not much better to do to occupy their time.

RP instances wouldn't completely eliminate trolling but it would lessen instances of it by putting RPers out of sight and out of mind for most people. Sure, a few who either very bored or very dedicated while switch instances to troll anyway, but those people were going to troll no matter what you do. They're also going to be a small minority.

Pretty much this.. One guy came up with a great suggestion in that they create an RP instance.. In order to enter that instance your character has to be in a guild that has a Guild Master only option of defining it as an RP guild. I think it is a great idea. Another would be to create an RP chat channel that only users who are members of RP flagged guilds can chat in.

Both of these would solve 99.9% of their player griefing issues.

I would think character flagging would make more sense than guild flagging. If I'm in a raiding guild and I feel like doing RP I don't want to have to quit to specific join an RP guild, same with being in a conquest guild etc. Not all RPers are in RP only guilds. I normally either rp socially with friends, or RP with people at random in fleet.

This idea doesn't count the fact an RP guild can enter raids, nor that a PvP or Raid guild could easily flag for RP to go troll the RPers. Limiting RP guilds from doing PvE or PvP content 'because they're rp flagged' makes no sense either. However, building on that idea to go for character flagging makes sense.

As for the OP's comments; we don't RP in general chat on EH. We do however rp in /say /emote etc.

For those servers that are merging with us; expect to have daily spam about there being a party held by the various guilds and 'DJs' we have on server. They tend to start around 4 or 5 and not shut up till well after midnight (some of them aren't even in character, and those ones I love to hate the most.)

Just give it up and let it die. Enough RPers have now posted here to tell you how it is. If anyone is going to be worried, it will be us, not you. And most of us either aren’t or we are optimistic enough that there will be little to no problems. All you are doing is fear mongering and trying to argue about something that doesn’t even affect you. Leave it alone, you are doing more harm than good. If you really do wanted to help RPers, you’d just stop.

Exactly. It's almost as if he's trying to cause problems so that people troll RPers.

(Ironically I posted something almost the same back on like page 4 & it has been removed with no warning or anything. Very odd. lol)

Pretty much this.. One guy came up with a great suggestion in that they create an RP instance.. In order to enter that instance your character has to be in a guild that has a Guild Master only option of defining it as an RP guild. I think it is a great idea. Another would be to create an RP chat channel that only users who are members of RP flagged guilds can chat in.

Both of these would solve 99.9% of their player griefing issues.

And lock out 100% of people who aren't interested in guilds or closed groups. I doubt that would do anything to help, in fact that could be worse than what we have now if petty infighting started, or some guild masters decided they just didn't like a person or their character for reasons completely outside of RP.

I would not put that much power over an entire facet of the game in the hands of about 10-15 players, some of which are notorious for trying to force their will and vision on other people's characters and story.

Edited by SourOrange

To my understanding, RP'ers on Ebon Hawk engage in role play on general chat. A lot of people will find this to be weird, dumb or a good opportunity for trolling. This will naturally cause conflict and trolling. In so far as RP'ers should be allowed to RP, and in so far as Bioware needs their money, it is therefore stupid to allow this to occur.

Therefore, the easy no-brainer common sense solution is to have some kind of reasonable accommodation to prevent these clashes. It could be a separate RP instance that is augmented by enhanced ignoring and squelching options on that instance.

The wrong thing to do is BW's unfortunate modus operandi of sailing straight into something stupid without showing that it has an interest in averting said stupidity in the future, as well as failing to take prompt action to avoid said stupidity.

P.S. As a player on Harbinger, I would also add that adding role players to Harb is just not going to work and all Harb players know that they won't be able to RP in gen chat.

RP'ers don't engage in roleplay on genchat, they do it in the Say chat. Yes sometimes someone may derp and accidentally put something in genchat but RP is always done is Say chat or group chat. Sadly many people have many misconceptions about roleplay and what is actually done and what not.

RP'ers don't engage in roleplay on genchat, they do it in the Say chat. Yes sometimes someone may derp and accidentally put something in genchat but RP is always done is Say chat or group chat. Sadly many people have many misconceptions about roleplay and what is actually done and what not.

This. I have stayed out of this fray but Yil is 100% correct here.

And, not sure it is in this thread or a different one, but to reiterate a point Cas made...

While I can't speak for others, I don't RP in Flashpoints with strangers. And, yes, even I click through the cutscenes when it is an old flashpoint out of respect for others.

But, Yil, you are of course wrong on the following: Theron's new cut is smoking hot! :rak_03:

Dasty

To my understanding, RP'ers on Ebon Hawk engage in role play on general chat. A lot of people will find this to be weird, dumb or a good opportunity for trolling. This will naturally cause conflict and trolling.

Two things: First, You're clearly not an RP'er or on The Ebon Hawk, so why are you posting this? No one RPs in Gen Chat. Gen Chat is better used for other things.

And second, you really think you can outtroll TEH? Really? *snicker* You think all the players on RP servers are soft-hearted special snowflakes, don't you? Bwawhahahahaha. You're in for quite a fun time!

Personally, I'm looking forward to that day when the refugees arrive and search the Ebon Hawk GTN for the first time. I'm going to just sit on fleet and listen to the crying. Comedy gold for hours!