Class Feedback

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Commando spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently play primarily assault commando. I have played gunnery in the past also.

Easy, one word answer: Useless. A dps commando has less utility and less damage output than pretty much any other dps class and is perceived as a waste of space.

Weak. It upsets me that a vanguard can have an almost identical spec to me but do 10% more damagae even though they have worse gear.

Edited by Iliac

I actively play both Gunnery and Combat medic spec, so I have to answer these questions for both specs. I primarily play the PvP endgame although I have participated in both story mode and hard mode operations and flashpoints as well.

Gunnery spec:

In pvp I think that this spec is perceived as an easy kill. Although I am dangerous if left alone it is easy to shut this spec down. Nobody but guild groups would invite this spec into a ranked warzone. In pve this spec is perceived by others as an acceptable ranged dps with some utility.

I feel very underpowered when compared to the damage specs of that *other* trooper/mercenary advanced class. I feel that this spec requires a high skill level in order to perform well in comparison to other damage advanced classes. This class is not worth taking into a ranked warzone because it is too easy to shut down and focus. I think of myself as a huge gun with almost no ability to escape from even a single opponent in pvp. I find pve to be super easy in this spec.

Combat Medic spec:

In PvP I feel that others respect the combat medic for its survivability under fire. The combat medic is a good off-healer but the healing output is not on par with either scoundrel or sage. When partnered with a tank the combat medic is very hard to kill. A combat medic is the last choice for a ranked warzone.

I feel like the combat medic is easier to play than the gunnery spec. My healing is more single target focused and so I feel like my total healing is under par compared to scoundrel and sage. I am less mobile and my AOE heal is unreliable. Ammo management as a combat medic requires a lot of attention and skill to manage properly.

Deadweight in PvP environments. We lack utility, and our damage has become sub-par relative to other DPS classes. We have no escapes, and almost no defensive skills. We are cannon fodder.

Fun in PvE, but more or less useless in high-level PvP engagements. It takes a lot of work to get my damage up to where other classes are hitting, and there's no incentive to do this as we lack the utility in PvP, and PvE there are ultimately better choices than a Gunnery Commando.

!

Healing tree is good but dps wise pvp a joke(gunnery) Assault tree is mostly for random pugs but still good.

But gunnery is still good for pve.

Weak and hard to kite enemies and actually fire of skills when using gunnery, useless tree in any pvp.

To weak and to easy to destroy.Cant keep of enemy player and channel skills without beeing shut down.

Assault works better but bring little to teamplay.

Combat Medic Spec

I have overheard on many occasions that Commando Heals are the weakest and that they should be the last choice for a healer in Flashpoints or Operations. In PvP I constantly hear that I shouldn't even be queueing if I am going to play Medic in a warzone.

above average heals in PvE but unable to counteract extreme bursty type DPS, AoE healing is on the light side and could be improved with Smart AoE targets. Healing in PvP is subpar and easy to overcome. Anytime Hammer Shot is used to Heal in PVP its a Beacon to kill the healer, and cripples healing on the move.

Gunnery Spec

Gunnery has the perception of being a one-button wonder able to do massive DPS by spamming nothing but Grav Round.

PvE sustained DPS is good on fights over 30 seconds where there isn't alot of movement (like Ops Bosses) however PvP damage takes a while to ramp up. Not being able to Move in PvP can also be a huge detriment as most DPS abilites are channeled or have a cast bar. There is little way to get out of melee range and seems like most Melee have twice the number of gap closers as we have ways to get away.

Glad to see you guys asking for our feedback!

My main character is a 48th level Commando focusing on Gunnery spec.

To answer your questions:

I think others perceive the Commando as easy to shut down and remove from opposition in PvP. Others also feel that this should be the last class you invite to a group.

2. How do you perceive your own spec?I think the Commando/Gunnery is a tough class to play properly. When surrounded by good teamates, you can really shine and help your side to win, but if with a poor group that doesn't help, you end up dying an awful lot. I feel the biggest issue is we don't have as many ways to get melee off of us as they have abilities to close gap with us.

Edited by Zarslothis

1. How do you think your Commando spec is perceived by other classes? I play the Gunnery spec and I think my spec is perceived as an easy kill in PvP, but can do some heavy damage if left alone to cast it's hard hitting specials. In PvE, I believe everything is fine.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? I feel the same way. In PvP, I can hurt people if left alone, but can be shut down and killed easily with interrupts and stuns. Gunnery needs some kind of escape like the other DPS classes have. Knockback should have a root to keep melee from leaping right back to you after being knockedback or an interrupt /stun immunity special like some other classes have.

Haven't used DPS spec in a raid situation yet, I'll speak to heals.

1. We're perceived as capable single target healers or raid healers where raid-wide damage is minimal.

2. I enjoy the resource management aspect. I would like to see another heal that could be "spammed" when **** hits the fan and Supercharge Cells is down.

Healer specced Commando. Primarily PvPer.

Take my feedback with a grain of salt. My Commando is only 31, but my experience watching and playing with other very skilled Commando/Mercenary healers gives me enough insight to provide a bit of feedback.

Equally powerful and weak. Good at keeping self alive, or one friendly target alive (huge burst potential). Very immobile, weak AoE heal, very difficult resource management (with nerf to Supercharge Cells and adding ammo cost to Trauma Probe).

Fulfilling its niche: burst healing on 1 to 2 targets. Couples very well with a Sage or Scoundrel healer. Resource management and healing kit must be seen as parts of a whole, and with the lens of huge single target healing ability (i.e. it's okay for the target to get below 80%, since your heals are much larger and more powerful).

Positioning and movement is as much a part of our rotations (for both healer and DPS Commando) as any other ability, a fact I think many players overlook when they complain of low healing or damage.

Edited by Aikiyc

I've been playing a commando for a long time with all specs, mainly in PvE content (operations).

1. Gunnery is seen as superior dmg-wise to the assault spec.

2. Gunnery is boring to play. Assault a lot of fun because I like setting things on fire. Combat Medic is as fun to play as Assault which is why I switch. Dmg-wise Gunnery seems to be superior to Assault, which kind of saddens me some times.

1. How do you think your Gunslinger spec is perceived by other classes?

Commando Combat Medic: I believe others see this spec as second rate compared to other healing classes.

Commando Gunnery: I believe others see this spec as providing poor damage output compared to other damage classes.

Commando Combat Medic: I enjoy the healing with Commando. But at times it does feel less productive than other healing specs.

Commando Gunnery: The majority of this spec's damage is through cast/channel abilities. Most of the time, in PvP, due to interrupts, knockbacks, stuns and having to stand in place like a turret, the damage output seems lower compared to other damage specs. This spec dies very easily in PvP.

Edited by Spuck

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

1. PvP wise, the Commando is horrible. Easily seen, easily gotten to, and easily killed. The only viable PvP spec for it is the heal spec..

2. PvE, I dominate. Grav Round is amazing. For PvP, though, I think if some changes were made to the Assault Specialst tree we'd be golden. Make Plasma Celll have a 100% trigger like the Vanguards have so we can still be doing damage while charging shots.

I wanted to say thank you for doing this. Here are my thoughts on my Commando in the context of PVP and PVE with regards to the Gunnery Specialiazation.

PVP: Unfortuntely, many see me as undesirable. I have been ridiculed and laughed at by other players for even entering a warzone with my class/spec. Their arguements include; lack of utility, lack of survivability, and laughable dps.

PVE: Very strong dps class that shines after the changes in 1.3, the minor 1.3 patch and the fix to deadly cannon. The ae capabilities are very strong, strong back up healer, and great sustainability.

PVP: I don't see what others see. I love the damage and burst capability. But there is one very clear and glaring problem. Gunnery commandos can be completely shut down very easily with almost no reliable means of preventing it, primarily by melee. We need one minor ability in defensive utility to help this class stand on it's own. Either a uninterruptable state or a root mechanism to allow for seperation.

PVE: Best experience I have had in end game raiding in any MMO. Thank you for that.

Edited by Stacksem

PvE: (DPS perspective) Good Ranged DPS with enough utility in the form of off-heals whenever necessary.

PvP: Laughed at for their lack of mobility and interruptibilty. Targeted first to stop the potential damage output, but more because of how easy they are to kill.

PvE: Fun and fairly easy to play. I find that off-healing/rezzing while DPSing is indispensable in emergencies and makes me feel like a true contributor.

PvP: I wont even attempt to play my class in PvP for the same reasons that no one else wants us as DPS. If I had the gear to heal, then maybe I'd take a stab at it, but as a DPS I find the spec to be pathetically easy to shut down in PvP. I target any Commandos/Mercs first on my Vanguard/Powertech because I know its an easy kill.

Suggestion: Moving the uninterruptible shield talent lower in the Healing tree would be an awesome improvement for this AS as a whole. Another idea was maybe an addition to one of the Gunnery talents that gives a 1-2 second stun when you reach 5 stacks of Gravity Vortex on a target? You'd have to wait for your stacks to fall off if you wanted to use the stun on the same person, but it would reward being able to get 3 grav rounds on a single target.

Edited by Grimoir

I'm mid-40's and specced to heal. PvE only.

I don't get a lot of feedback one way or the other personally.

Compared with the Sage, it's really, really hard to heal with a Commando. It seems like it's a combined problem of resource management (which often feels like 10% of a Sage's) and weak heals. If you're going to run me out of energy swiftly, at least make sure when I use the skill that does it, it increases my tank's health by a substantial amount!

I mainly play Gunnery Spec as my commando is my main.

In PVE: A mild class dps that is ranged. A slight buff to the group in terms of Vortex.

In PVP: Useless unless you're a combat medic and even then not great. Others know in a 1v1 with decent gear can steam roll a Gunnery commando.

In PVE: The most fun of any other class to play. Damage wise I feel cheated vs other more powerful dps classes. As a fully geared commando, I still feel weak. But game play wise it feels fun. Just missing that little extra punch.

In PVP: Honestly I feel like I'm a joke. I'm out run by all other classes for the most part, I'm out gunned. An if anyone get's on me I'm just dead weight. We have one real CC that lasts only a couple seconds, And our big one can't be cast in the heat of battle. Grav round rarely can be gotten off during a fight.

As said many times, My roll is support and is such I try and fill. Standing in the back and nuke. Though my damage still isn't amazing and lacks compared to other dps classes. I feel as if I'm crowd controlled over 90% of a fight in a 1v1. By either knock downs, Stuns, Or interrupt's.

To start with I am a Combat Medic and only do PvE. Done what there is in game regarding PvE in 8-man.

1. I honestly do not look around that much for what other think but the general thing seems to be that we are supposed to be weak due to ammo being sparse.

2. I actually like my specc as long as you use tactics that work for each type of healer. As a healer I feel like I perform well when it comes to single target heal while not moving to much. As an example never put a combat medic on kite healing the blue damage things on the 2 tanks in Denova, wont get much healing output from a moving combat medic. The task I perform very well is healing both tanks solo while standing "safe" on the inside of one of the tanks. I enjoyed it more since the "nerf" because before that it wasnt much thinking, spam on and you still had ammo. Now it needs a bit more planning and knowing a fight to know when I should use recharge. When I can spam burn my ammo. I tend to use the Supercharged cells more as regen and clicking of the buff after a single AMP-MP combo to top someone up. With planning there is decent single target burst abilities, with planning I mean to not burn your ammo up. The weakest part for sure is AoE which is quite meh to be honest. But I see the other healer types picking up that flavor. Healing with moving is doable in short time quite rare scenarios where the instant heals are up. Require planning to have them up if you know that will happen and you need to pitch in.

In short. Single target, quite stationary. Get a role in PvE for that and a combat medic can have a very high healing output. When it comes to moving and healing as well as AoE the other healing types out perform a combat medic.

If I should ask for something I really feel crippled without the 4p bonus. The reduction that makes on CD for AMP and the instant heal really helps a lot. I can see this being annoying if the bonus is changed in some new sets.

Level 50 Gunnery Spec'd Commando. PVE focused with all raids and all difficulties down.

What others think: Somewhat of a faceroll class (lots of Grav Round spamming), but does good damage. Very slow movement, easy to kill in PVP.

What I think: I enjoy playing a Commando in raids because I feel like the class fills the the ranged DPS niche nicely while giving me access to some other useful skills (The two Med Probes, CC, Cleanse, self heals). While I mainly just root myself and cycle through my rotation, I can also help my raid by cleansing dots, CCing adds, or throwing spot heals. The only defensive ability I have is on a 2-min cooldown, but my high armor and endurance somewhat makes up for that. As of my last parse, I feel that my DPS is lagging behind some other classes (mainly Sentinals and Gunslingers), but not to a degree that I feel like a hindrance.

Thoughs on Combat Medic: Don't play it often, but I can be a serviceable PVE healer. Man is ammo hard to manage now. Really good single target healing, but ask me to start dealing with large raid-wide damage and I fall apart. Have to use too much ammo way too quickly, and then I'm done.

very weak unless healer , you wont get into rwz teams , lack of survivability and utility means your bottom of the list

2. How do you perceive your own spec? I play assasult spec which is mediocre @ best due to lack of no interupt/survivability and utility

lvl 50 Gunnery Commando PvE only

1) others tend to look at the commando as being week or less than others. What pvp I did we are the easy kill and yep its true.

2) while my commando lags behind on my personal parsering of my other lvl 50 dps classes (except poor scoundrel) I feel that they are extremely useful in ops. The individual fight in EV is a great place to see which class is weakest for dps as the commandos are usually last. I feel the recent changes have helped somewhat. Due to us having some heals and can fill in for many roles in a op if someone dies then I am not sure what could be done that doesnt then make folks think we are op. A very slight bump in dps I think is still needed.

I play a Gunnery Commando as my main.

1. I feel the Gunnery Commando to be perceived as a stationary turret by the community, fine for PvE but often looked down on in PvP.

2. I consider the Gunnery Commando to be a versatile, hard-hitting damage dealer, with heavy damage and good survivability making up for limited mobility and the lack of an interrupt. I can switch easily between burst AoE and sustained single-target damage.

Combat Medic

The Combat Medic is currently considered by most players to be the the weakest healer. They were strong healers prior to the nerf (but not excessively OP'd) and did not deserve such a severe nerf.

I find the healing on my Combat Medic, post nerf, to be sub par. Hammer Shot is a particularly sore spot with me for two reasons: A. I can't use it to heal myself and B. it is a huge target marker in warzones. Mobility also continues to be a big concern of mine for warzones (particularly Huttball) and the lack of a snare or interrupt ability is a real handicap. Sadly, I have found more enjoyment out of playing a Sawbones Scoundrel, which provides greater mobility, more get-out-of-jail-free cards, stealth, snares, AoE instant CC... and it can heal just as well as a Combat Medic (if not better).

Hi everyone,

Gunnery spec commando, PvE experience.

1) Ranged dps so that cancels out some of the lower dps pulled by the majority of commando dps players. Brings a little utility, but nothing that other classes don't. No interrupt, so don't rely on them to do anything but dps.

2) Ammo management is.. interesting to say the least. Can get a little burst dps, but sustained is quite a bit less than other classes. The offhealing can be ok, but only if you don't plan to dps when you're healing or you will be out of ammo and doing nothing.

Edited by zeshakha

I have run into occasions where my Combat medic has been told they want a better healer, "like a sage"

Despite the fact that I am fully specced in it just to heal.

Might just have been bad luck but seems Combat Medic isnt considered a good healing option