Area Transition Issues

EricMusco

Hey Rusah,

Quite a bit of what you named are the issues that we are investigating, yes. I should note however that the Legacy perks which reduce the cooldowns on certain forms of travel are a separate bug not tied to these issues. Tait mentioned that here.

I will keep you all updated on these issues!

-eric

Thanks Eric, I can imagine the fire fighting going on right now (been there). We're really looking forward to the new stuff and appreciate the hard work everyone is doing. Please keep us updated on any changes/developments when you feel it is needed. I have the up most confidence that BW can get a handle on these issues and will get them fixed as soon as you can. Keep up the good work :)

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is bugged now, from first trying to log, right through for 10mins of hang on ship cutscenes.

After clicking play toon, hangs for some time before load bar shows, if gets into game then no guild for first minute or 2 or not at all.

Ship cutscenes broken, i am thinking this might happen on all, thus is a loading algorithm.

After logging into 3rd toon suddenly i was told i was f2p and under level 10 so couldn't chat privately, on a 55... This continued on all alt logs for around 9-10 attempts. Animations seem staggered and some are off.

I struggled to understand how so many things that worked so well before are now completely broken...

To be honest and frank, I am baffled by the frequency of sub-par standards set by Bioware/EA. I personally work in a demanding industry and for an organization that strives for "world class" standards, surely this is the same for such prolific game developers? If I, in my industry, turned in sub-par performance on a regular basis, i would in fact find myself unemployed. If I am incorrect in my assumptions, and the developers do not wish to set/achieve these higher standards, then perhaps an honest undertaking of informing your clients should be adapted, and those that pay good money to these developers, only to expect assurance of smooth running, could re-evaluate the fortunes the developers are reciving as "donations" for work incomplete.

Honesty, in all accounts, is the best policy.

Why not just log a character in on the live servers and see the bugs for yourself.

Try to join a group or queue for gsf/wz/gf.

Try to quick travel to fleet pass.

If you manage to get a wz pop, try exiting the warzone afterwards.

These bugs seem to be affecting everyone on red eclipse pretty equally.

Its not a problem with logging in and seeing them. They know they exist, think its more trying to identify anyone who may have those issues and trying to identify commonality that maybe causing it, called data collection.

I.e identify things like location upon start up, legacy, achievements, open quests, completed quests, hardware configuration, subscriber status, char type, little things like that which have no place on the forums (clutter) but can help identify a root cause.

Thanks Eric, I can imagine the fire fighting going on right now (been there). We're really looking forward to the new stuff and appreciate the hard work everyone is doing. Please keep us updated on any changes/developments when you feel it is needed. I have the up most confidence that BW can get a handle on these issues and will get them fixed as soon as you can. Keep up the good work :)

Translation: Fix that s**t up. :D

Just turn Red Eclipse off and on again, fixes everything*.

There's a story that used to circulate in the AI community:

A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.

Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: "You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong."

Knight turned the machine off and on. The machine worked.

Tom Knight was one of the primary developers of the Lisp machine. Lisp machines were used a lot in AI research in the 1980's, I used to work on one myself.

Translation: Fix that s**t up. :D

no, I know they are scrambling to get things fixed. I also realize that they don't need more people screaming for things to be fixed, yelling and screaming doesn't get it done.

They are working hard, and I appreciate it. I was really looking forward to some of the new content and although sitting at work looking at the fire, I don't expect it to be fixed NOW..or even NOW. or even SOON . It will get fixed when it gets fixed and realize nothing anyone can do will change that.

I'm not demanding yellow text apologizing, or demanding free stuff, or demanding a time line.

call me a knight, biodrone or just a member of realville where things are based on reality.

no, I know they are scrambling to get things fixed. I also realize that they don't need more people screaming for things to be fixed, yelling and screaming doesn't get it done.

They are working hard, and I appreciate it. I was really looking forward to some of the new content and although sitting at work looking at the fire, I don't expect it to be fixed NOW..or even NOW. or even SOON . It will get fixed when it gets fixed and realize nothing anyone can do will change that.

I'm not demanding yellow text apologizing, or demanding free stuff, or demanding a time line.

call me a knight, biodrone or just a member of realville where things are based on reality.

I feel the same. Despite me being irritated at having to re-install, I understand being loud and rude isn't going to get things fixed any faster.

too many bugs for one patch

It might just be one bug. Here's a hypothetical example: Some MMOs are structured as front-end (FE) servers and database (DB) servers. The FE and DB servers communicate using a protocol. If the protocol was supposed to be upgraded to a new version in patch 2.8, and the FE servers got the update but someone forgot to update the DB servers, chaos and seemingly random bugs could be the result.

I am not saying this is what happened, but it exemplifies the idea that "the more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." (paraphrased from ST:TOS's Scottie)

MMOs have very complicated plumbing, sometimes I think it's a miracle they work at all.

I merely pointed out that which your previous post was trying to convey, sans the monumental kiss-up. Chill.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I merely pointed out that which your previous post was trying to convey, sans the monumental kiss-up. Chill.

wasn't kissing up, just trying to counter all the "WORST GAME EVA!!!" that majority of gamers have no idea what software development takes.

want to know whats going on..

10am fix goes live and power gets turned on

10:30 first reports of bugs and those monitoring the game start their investigations

11am: first meeting regarding list of bugs and known issues

11:30 meeting is over and go back to investigating the issue

12:00pm managers call second meeting regarding any updates and what is being done to fix it make note that there will be a meeting in an hour to discuss any updates

12:30 meeting is over and go back to investigating the issue, start prepping for next meeting

1pm: managers call 3rd meeting to discuss what has changed, devs regurgitate their meeting prep, not enough progress is being made so decide to have another meeting

1:30 meeting ends and devs start prep for next meeting

2pm. meeting on progress general managers and higher ups might start to attened (devs are starting prep for next meeting while in the meeting to report to upper management)

3pm: dev gets reprieve as managers go home and get a chance to actually investigate the bug and realize the issue

4pm: have the bug fixed and testing occurs

5pm: starts the documentation process and planning for getting the patch fixed

8am next day: managers return wanting updates: devs indicate patch is ready, goes through review, tell dev to get rid of the duck

10am: reviews are complete patch notes are developed

11am: patch notes released and patch is scheduled for 6am next day

12pm: meetings to identify what caused the bug and why it was allowed to go live

5pm: meetings end realizing that sith happens and easy to miss a few lines when updating 100k sloc

9pm: begin patching process for and final testing so that ready to transfer first thing in the morning.

6am: patching starts takes longer than expected due to other issues during patching process; it is quickly fixed and no other issues are seen.

8am: patching complete

9am: meeting on why that weeks work is now 2 days behind schedule and to plan on having hourly meetings until progress returns to previous rates.

Everyone i know has reported pretty much the same thing. The game is "lagging". Everything seems to move at a pase of taking several minutes before it happens. Trying to invite people for groups - 5 minutes. queue for warzones 1-2 minutes. Something is seriously wrong with the game.

I noticed one thing, not sure if it's relevant.

I have old account which is from start, it had all the problems mentioned, then I switched to new account (started after 2.0) and it does not have problems.

- Markku

The group finder doesn't work properly, I just got stuck in a Warzone by myself, the reason being that it brought transferred me in like 5 minutes after I tried to join, nothing seems to be working correctly at the moment, also it crashed twice already.

1. my game crashes at load screen

My freezes druring loading and stays that way. I cant even get to choose the character. Same think happened after last patch, but today I did everything to fix it as before nad no use.

Edited by UkIaMiAoRtAmIo