How do you start roleplaying?

Jagaimee

Well... as the title says? :o

I'm totally new to RP. My only experiences with it in the past have been sporadically leveling in-character with a friend and oooooooone time where a Sith assassin infiltrated House Organa and proceeded to (inadvertently) scare the crud out of my gunslinger. They went on to have a friendly, if a bit incredulous on my part, chat. (To whoever you are, Corraj the gunslinger still remembers you as one of the weirdest, most polite Sith she's ever met. Thanks. :D)

I see a lot of stuff about people RP'ing in cantinas, but, personally, I'd rather avoid that. Most of the stuff I see in cantina RP'ing is flirtation and endless drinking. Which...makes sense. It's a cantina. There are drinks. :p But I'd like to stay away from that for now (also, my character is legally too young to even set foot in a bar. He's not even an adult yet by his species' standards.)

So, don't want to go in a cantina. How else do I start RP'ing? Just walk everywhere? Say hi to anyone else who's walking around? Emote-interact with the world, i.e., "/e pauses to stare at the giant golden statue of the Hutt. It's so...shiny... He's so distracted that he's not looking where he's going, and promptly trips over his own feet. 'Ow!'" (Well, perhaps not that elaborately, but still.)

Which leads to another question. When you RP, do you have to have a motivation for your character to be doing absolutely anything he's doing? As in, you're not just at the cantina to hang out or park your character's behind while you go off and do something else for a few minutes, no. You have to be at the cantina on a secret mission or you're one of the dancers or you're a Sith waiting for their apprentice or whtanot.

Or, can you really just be walking down the Promenade on Nar Shaddaa, enjoying your day off, without a thought as to what you're going to do if you actually meet someone who says hi. Can you even do that? Or does that lead to a lot of awkward pauses and frantically trying to think of something interesting to say?

Oh, one last question. Can I "try out" emotes on my ship or stronghold, to see what they look like/what they do, without anyone else seeing? Or is everyone who is on their ship/stronghold, even if they're not in my group/instance, going to notice a phantom Gohyan Irdebi (my character) doing every emote on the list in total obliviousness? That'd be...kind of funny, but definitely awkward.

Sorry for all the questions... I'd ask in general chat (I'm on the Ebon Hawk server), but I would proooobably just invite a bunch of trolls to advise me to press alt+f4 and uninstall the game. :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure this is generally an RP-friendly server, but trolls are everywhere, of course. Can't quite avoid them.

I have the same kind of problem. (Mostly due to ignorance and fear of trying) But I'm sure you could always find someone on here and carry it out in-game and just experiment without judgement. (I'd definitely be open to experimenting with you if you want!) I also found this thread to be helpful if you're unsure about anything! http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=16177 Edited by CaitSxS

Well... as the title says? :o

I'm totally new to RP. My only experiences with it in the past have been sporadically leveling in-character with a friend and oooooooone time where a Sith assassin infiltrated House Organa and proceeded to (inadvertently) scare the crud out of my gunslinger. They went on to have a friendly, if a bit incredulous on my part, chat. (To whoever you are, Corraj the gunslinger still remembers you as one of the weirdest, most polite Sith she's ever met. Thanks. :D)

I see a lot of stuff about people RP'ing in cantinas, but, personally, I'd rather avoid that. Most of the stuff I see in cantina RP'ing is flirtation and endless drinking. Which...makes sense. It's a cantina. There are drinks. :p But I'd like to stay away from that for now (also, my character is legally too young to even set foot in a bar. He's not even an adult yet by his species' standards.)

So, don't want to go in a cantina. How else do I start RP'ing? Just walk everywhere? Say hi to anyone else who's walking around? Emote-interact with the world, i.e., "/e pauses to stare at the giant golden statue of the Hutt. It's so...shiny... He's so distracted that he's not looking where he's going, and promptly trips over his own feet. 'Ow!'" (Well, perhaps not that elaborately, but still.)

Which leads to another question. When you RP, do you have to have a motivation for your character to be doing absolutely anything he's doing? As in, you're not just at the cantina to hang out or park your character's behind while you go off and do something else for a few minutes, no. You have to be at the cantina on a secret mission or you're one of the dancers or you're a Sith waiting for their apprentice or whtanot.

Or, can you really just be walking down the Promenade on Nar Shaddaa, enjoying your day off, without a thought as to what you're going to do if you actually meet someone who says hi. Can you even do that? Or does that lead to a lot of awkward pauses and frantically trying to think of something interesting to say?

Oh, one last question. Can I "try out" emotes on my ship or stronghold, to see what they look like/what they do, without anyone else seeing? Or is everyone who is on their ship/stronghold, even if they're not in my group/instance, going to notice a phantom Gohyan Irdebi (my character) doing every emote on the list in total obliviousness? That'd be...kind of funny, but definitely awkward.

Sorry for all the questions... I'd ask in general chat (I'm on the Ebon Hawk server), but I would proooobably just invite a bunch of trolls to advise me to press alt+f4 and uninstall the game. :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure this is generally an RP-friendly server, but trolls are everywhere, of course. Can't quite avoid them.

Interesting question. :) There's no shame in asking really, I am joyed to see that more people are taking interest in Roleplay. :)

Now, usually people RP in certain areas, tends to happen around specific times due to people having work, school and such, I'd say don't be afraid to approach, IC(In Character) stays IC, a common "rule" within RP. :) Interacting with the world while walking is also a good idea tbh.

However, the best way for you to probably find consistent RP would probably be to look for a Roleplaying guild, now, there are several websites which has a forum where guilds tend to advertise, these can be found by for example searching up "SWTOR RP <Realm name>" The one I personally use is called swtor-rp quite a lovely site.

Now, while off to to other stuff, you can basically set your char to "passively" do anything you'd like him to, such as relaxing in the park as you mentioned, taking a walk, or even doing some maintence on a ship or speeder, it all comes down to what you'd prefer. Of course you'd need some sort of motivation for whatever your character is doing, since you're the one having to RP it out most the time.

As for the walking down and someone says hi, you can do that, however, it takes some time to learn how to keep conversations going for longer, usually talking about anything related to the current situation of the area you're in, or recently IC events which is widely known can be good things to talk aobut if such.

When you're on your ship/Stronghold, nobody can see your emotes that you try out, so it's fine, they'll have to be within a certain range of you to see it. Ships/Strongholds are phased as I am aware, so there shouldn't be an issue with that unless you have visitors within your ship / Stronghold.

On a final note, it's fine that you ask, don't let the trolls ruin your courage to try Roleplay, it's an amazing aspect of the game which can actually a times be even more fun than PvP and PvE to some. :)

I hope you'll have luck with the RP! :D

(Sorry if the post here is a little messy, long night, almost no sleep. xD)

Edited by rawrfreaxx
Spelling mistake

• 4 weeks later...

Hey that's cool. I'm creating a second legacy on the Ebon Hawk (from MAntle of the Force) and actually working like crazy on a big - and unusual - project.

But as much as I love rolelaying my chars in my head when I PVE, they are the protagonists of their class quests - and I know that's a no-no on RP servers. My main char which I have replicated a couple times is related to someone aboard the Ebon Hawk (the ship) and to someone major 3000 years later... the latter of course unbeknownst to him. I suppose no one would like to go off the beaten path and do any roleplay with such a char.

However while the no-protagonist rule makes perfect sense (you can't have 2 barsenthors, 2 wraths, 2 saviors of Tython, let alone 200), the family line is something I won't let go of with this particular character (have written short stories about him, in the fanfic section) so I might as well roll a padawan... which I will never love the same as my old guardian but well.

Which leads to: how do you flesh out a background & character traits for your role? I once found a forum with hundreds of character descriptions, can't remember where that was. Thought it was http://www.swtor-rp.com/ebonhawk but I can't seem to find anything...

Edited by BenduKundalini

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Which leads to: how do you flesh out a background & character traits for your role? I once found a forum with hundreds of character descriptions, can't remember where that was. Thought it was http://www.swtor-rp.com/ebonhawk but I can't seem to find anything...

I might be resurrecting this thread, but I haven't been in SWTOR very long, so apologies if the question's already been answered.

However, here are a few tips that I've seen work in every RP setting I've yet been in. (After 17+ years of RPing, I've been in a lot. >.>) They might help!

• Keep it simple.
  • Focus on character.
  • Be open to constructive criticism.
  • Give yourself room to make mistakes and learn.

Keep it simple.

Overly complicated backstories don't help anyone, least of all you. It's much easier to condense your character concept to a single sentence--smuggler with a heart of gold, Sith apprentice struggling against the Light Side, failed Jedi guardian--when you're coming up with them initially. An archetype can be useful--the Hermit, the Trickster, the Sage--to give you a rough idea about who you're going to be writing.

Don't bog yourself down with details at this point. You can flesh those out later, even once you've started RPing. A backstory actually only matters to you because it tells you HOW the character became who they are. It's not often going to be all spilled out in active RP.

Focus on character.

The lore, the setting, the plot that you'll engage in isn't where you start. You start with your character. Don't push yourself to figure out a ton of potential storylines to RP through later or try to fit all the IG lore events into your character's life.

As you develop that simple concept into a more fully fleshed character, you'll see IG events that are actually relevant for your character. You'll start to see the lore that matters to what your character has experienced or may want to learn more about. Not everything is going to be relevant to your character or your RP, so focus only on what you need for YOUR character. Everything else can trickle in later.

Be open to constructive criticism.

There is literally nothing new under the sun. Someone else has always done this concept or that story. That's okay. RP isn't an originality contest. But it also means that you might combine some traits (in an attempt to be unique) that don't work well together.

Or traits that ninety other people have already mashed together.

Constructive criticism is not someone being a jerk. It will always have a proposed solution for the perceived problem. So be open to constructive criticism given respectfully--it can be amazingly helpful, especially when you're just learning how to RP.

Don't be too hard on yourself!

Everyone screws up an aspect of lore or accidentally godmods or tries to add a character trait that just doesn't work. When you're just starting out in RP, mistakes are a given. Don't let a mistake or someone's eye rolling or snarky commentary stop you from having fun! Everyone's made a character that was flat out ridiculous and everyone has tried to be supr powurful in a fight.

You get past that and you start finding the fun in cooperative writing, in discovering more about your character through situations that you never would've imagined. And everyone has a niche, some writing genre or aspect that they end up being really good at. You'll find yours! Experiment until you do!