The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Taral V SM. I'm on my 32 Commando and there to do DPS. In the group are a 33 Shadow tank, a 31 Sage healer and a 37 Commando (also DPS).

We say our hellos and proceed to avoid the first few groups of trash, as is normal for Taral V. When we do start pulling trash, the Commando jumps in first. Every time. Commando is also tunneling elites instead of using AoE to burn down the crowds of weak mobs.

We get to the first boss (the one with 2 pets) and the Commando proceeds to pull (again) and starts trying to tank. We wipe. On our way back, I suggest that the Commando allow the Shadow to tank, which might improve our chances of success. The Commando insists that he makes a better tank than the Shadow. I do a double-take to make sure I read that correctly, yup. He backs his assertion up by stating that he's in Heavy armor and has more HP than the tank (the first statement is true, obviously, but the 2nd isn't at all, oddly). Me and the Sage gently try to explain to the Commando that no, the tank will tank better than he will, and could he please just focus on DPSing, preferably the weak mobs first? The Commando's response is that we need him because this FP can't be completed without 2 level 38s (where the heck did this guy get this idea from?), and he's going to be tanking. At this point, the Sage and I throw up our hands and give up.

A votekick is initiated and passes quickly. Shadow tank thanks me for backing him (her?) up. We continue to kill trash mobs (the boss we wiped on is skippable, so we skip him) on our way to the 2nd boss (the guy with the huge pet whom you must kill first). On our way, both the tank and I keep getting whispers from Mr. Commando, who is sarcastically wishing us good luck on completing this FP without him, as it will need 2 level 38s to complete. I explain to him why he was wrong about being a better tank AND why he's wrong about Taral V SM needing two level 38s, but he keeps arguing (he made it a point of telling me "I do know how to play, y'know.") so eventually I put him on ignore.

I am more than happy to teach newbies if they're willing to learn, but not if they are stubbornly ignorant. Where did this guy get the idea that a level 32 FP (what level is Taral V anyway? isn't it 32?) requires two level 38s? Didn't he notice that we only had one level 37 (him), and no one else higher than 33? Where did this guy get the idea that he could tank? My money's on KDY.

To wrap this up, a Gunslinger DPS showed up just as we got to the 2nd boss and the rest of the FP proceeded smoothly. The highest level in the group was 34, btw (Gunslinger), and we finished the final boss without anyone even dropping below 50% health.

People do have such misconception about heavy armour. I was once kicked from Directive FP, just at start, before even we pulled any mob, because "characters wearing cloth armor can't tank" - and I was on my tankasin :)

Isn't 153 lvl 53 mod and 148 lvl 50?? New rating is *********** my head bad

Now this I have to agree with... Last night I relogged my sorc dps after 1 full month and queued for the 2 new tactical FP in the Invasion story arch... Struggled a lot to figure if I was properly geared for it before queuing, and in the end I took my PvP gear with me too (Conqueror with a few Obroan pieces, rating 154 if I recall) just to be on the safe side. And guess what? I was damn right.

First run, Tython invasion. With the new way to show gear rating I mistook my level. In the end I was undergeared, in 148 purples with a few 140 pieces- still managed to steal agro from the assassin tank even with a guard on me, though :rolleyes: - and proposed to leave, adding that yes, I had better gear with me but that it was PvP. Much to my surprise they simply told me to use it instead. :)

In the end we managed with a couple of almost-wipes, with only me left standing. :D

Then I go again for the story quest, and queue for Korriban. Much to my surprise the tank is the same from before, but with dps stance on. Well, no problem, I guess. I did put my PvE set on again, then said my PvP one was better, but before beginning this time. The other sorc didn't knew the difference between PvP sets and PvE ones :confused:, but I got to use my PvP set with no issues this way.

Well, we struggled this time. A lot more. Things went ok till the first boss, when the tank pulled while I was rezzing the sorc after the last champion commander killed him :eek:, forcing me to use in-fight rez. Then the sorc... respawns. At start. :confused: We keep the guy at bay for a while, I obviously tank him and the beasts all the time, and die right when the sorc arrives, taking my place. We down it, then I ask for a rez, so they don't have to wait for me catching up.

The sorc drops, and we queue for a replacement. We get a sniper just before the droid boss, but the tank just... pulls. The sniper runs all the way there without agroing the mobs we skipped, then starts shooting just when fhe tank dies. I get agro right away and start kiting to get to the med stations behind fhe boss, because my health was dangerously low. I use one, then the sniper gets agro and I bubble him and use the med station when he gets low too then I offheal him... And I get agro again, even though the tank now dps returns. I get back to the med station to the side and use it again, but I die soon after, having used my life saving bubble the previous missile barrage... The boss was low, like 5%, so I estimate that, if I rez, I would not be back in time anyway and sit there telling them how the health drops.

I could have rezzed and be back though, time-wise it would have been the same, if not shorter... Anyway, the sniper manages to survive and down fhe boss, then rezzes me while the others have respawned. From then on it was ok, with me tanking AND offhealing in PvP gear. :D

One of my craziest, especially after they rezzed me after the last boss - tanked him all the way too, of course - and complemented me for managing despite unappropriate gear. :cool:

Next time I guess I'll be more thorough with my checking... it was interesting though. :D

Had a good one a few weeks back. Sorry for my english in advance )

So, after 2.7 hit i was finishing to gear my TK sage with blue coms. Going to run random 55 HM, i ask in guild for company, hoping to get tank or healer to carry me through GF DPS queue. Lucky me, i get very nice and enthusiastic Vanguard tank. He warns me that he is a little bit undergeared (if you believe weekly quest for HMs). Well, i reassure him that it will be OK (don't want to loose my happy ticket) and start GF thinking "As long as we don't get CZ core meltdown, everything will be fine".

We get CZ core meltdown, with focus sentinel and sage healer, both extremely silent. Not even "hello" coming from them. To make things look even more scary, tank says that he only did it once on his sentinel, and has no idea about tactics. I, on the other hand, have good knowledge of desert boss, thanks to 6-7 wipe runs on him, but know very little about swamp and Vigilant bosses (only 2 runs). Well, we decide to give it a try.

All trash pools go down without any problems, both tank and healer are doing their jobs. Since TK (especially after 2.7) has heavy AOE, i don't have a chance to observe our sentinel at work. But c'mon, who cares about DPS? We decide to get desert boss first, i explain barrel mechanics and we roll.

First try. In 4 seconds i take aggro from tank (guard is on healer) and turtle inside force barrier. Tank regains aggro and we destroy first barrel, but on second one he fails to bring boss close before it goes smashing. We wipe. Somewhere in the middle we loose our sentinel, and since healer doesn't combat res him, i do so.

Tank apologises, i tell him to use Hold The Line. Also i remember that i can pull him to me and ask if i should do so. Tank agrees, silent tipes remain silent, so we try again.

Second try - second wipe. This time our tank goes down first, healer still refuses to combat res him, and again, i do so. Also i notice that after i pull tank to me i get tons of aggro from boss :rolleyes:

Third time. On a second pull i finally realise that my pulls drop aggro on tank :D, so i stop doing it. Sentinel dies, gets resed by me and dies again. We are still alive, but boss is at more then 1/3 of his HP, and we run out of barrels to smash. Final sandstorm begins and i prepare myself for another wipe.

This is when our healer suddenly decides to do some miracle work. For the first time she uses her AOE heal, and manages to keep all 3 of us alive while we finally kill the boss. Happy rejoining with our sentinel, and we go for the swamp boss. Our healer turns out to be great, our tank is good learner, so i already dream about fast and painless run.

By this time, i notice that my sage never got "depressed" debuff from inspiration.

So, from my previous 2 tryes with swamp, i know very little about normal way to kill damn frog. On my second time i observed the cheating, corner-tank-and-spank way (we had my same, but less geared, sage, and Tactics vanguard as dps). So, i tell our tank about both ways, warn him that i'm not exactly familiar with both, and ask him which one he want to try. He decides to go with normal one, silents remain silent, but help us to recreate shroom-smashing tactic. There we go.

First time we loose healer to adds. They appear when my TKW is on CD, sentinel, for some reason, doesn't react, both me and tank are a bit too slow with quake/AOE taunt. I res her, but it still ends with wipe.

Second time, we wipe again. Overall we take too much damage from boss AOE. This time i go down first, sentinel keeps ignoring adds, healer still don't use combat res. Also, all this time with both bosses i keep stealing aggro from tank with my initial burst. So, i ask tank to try "cheating" tactic, also i finally ask to guard me.

First time - we wipe hitting enrage :confused:. My previous run was with lesser gear and VG dps - not the best damage output, and we managed it. Once again i notice no depression debuffs - i'm starting to suspect that our sent never uses it. Also, as DPS i'm embarrased - enrage is a good sign that we aren't doing our jobs. So, i ask sentinel to use Inspiration on CD, and also ask healer why she never uses her combat res. "I don't have time for it", she answers. Wow, but whatever, i can spend 1.5 second resing tank. At this point i finally decide to check our sentinel gear. Mix of blues, greens, with 1 orange. Damn. I promice myself that this will be our final try.

Inspiration makes it better, but we still hit enrage timer. Healer once again goes in Jesus mode, and we manage to kill boss. Hell yes!

After all this, Vigilant went without any surprises - i only managed to die in the end, with something like 800 HP left on boss :o

Have to admit, it was a fun run, aside from repair bills. We all derpled more then enoughth :o. Only really bad thing was that our tank never got any equipment from this run. What a shame :(

People who use their knockbacks at wrong time are WEIRD.

- It affects greatly on killing speed.

- It's very weird to knock enemies out of someone's range (I like to stay at 25-30m with my ranged characters and I think I don't want to know how you play your sniper) = bad especially for Sharpshooter/Marksman/TK/Lightning.

QFT

And while it has uses, if the party has solid AOE, and / or is killing stuff fast, and / or the person using it isn't close to dying, using it as a 'it helps reduce incoming damage' or 'it does some damage' move isn't just weird, it is dumb.

And like most in this thread, 99% of knock-backs I encounter, especially in KDY, tend to be of the 'just because I can' type and result in mobs knocked out of range, mobs knocked out of AOE, mobs knocked into other packs causing chain agro, and / or mobs bugged out.

I love it though when I encounter someone who actually uses knock-backs to re-position mobs such as knocking a pair of ranged mobs into a group of melee mobs so they can all be AOE'd or to get the group enough breathing room from damage to survive a bad pull or uses knock-backs to toss annoying mobs off ledges to their death (note: the small ledge in KDY Prision scenario DOES NOT COUNT and only end up agro-ing the room if a mob is knocked off).

It is kind of like the players with stealth who will stealth CC a weak mob in every pack pack and totally ignore CC'ing an elite or champ mob or CCs the one mob in the middle of the pack that does nothing to let the group pass without combat instead of the mob to the far side which would allow the group to skip the pack.

Anyways, both use of knock-backs and use of stealth clearly communicate the skill level of the player to the group, letting us easily see who is or isn't a derp player.

Edited by DawnAskham

(note: the small ledge in KDY Prision scenario DOES NOT COUNT and only end up agro-ing the room if a mob is knocked off).

For what it's worth, doing that (accidentally or on purpose) CAN actually be fun, since KDY is easy enough most of the time, but only if you're in a group that is playing and communicating well.

It is kind of like the players with stealth who will stealth CC a weak mob in every pack pack and totally ignore CC'ing an elite or champ mob

I see this especially in KDY. I don't know why they do it. As dps it's even more frustrating situation.

There's a new Sin tank running around in FPs needing on EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING. Despite this, his/her gear is horrid. I have no idea what all these items are going to, but it isn't to buying better gear or gearing out companions. Low level, so it's take it or leave it, but from now on I think I'll just explain the situation, get rid of him/her if possible, and pull out Kaliyo and be done.

Runs out of the range of healers, doesn't taunt, but uses the correct stance and applies guard. I'm at a loss as to what's going on...

nah its ok mate just to make sure 148's are lvl 53 oranges not trying to sound rude here but do you understand now?? the tank lacked the recommended 148 item rating gear which was why he was so squishy and which was why me and the healer booted him do you get my point now? people should not be running 55 hm at least until they have the minimum 148's equipped

Firstly, "level 53 oranges" makes absolutely no sense. The level requirement of the shell itself has no bearing on the power of the item. The important thing is the level or rating of the modifications installed. I guess you mean the orange shells that drop with blue grade 28 modifications, which indeed have a rating of 148.

Secondly, "level X gear" also makes little sense. The quality of the item makes a huge difference. A purple level 41 item has approximately the same rating as a green level 49 item. Level 50 items actually go from as low as rating 122 (green grade 25 items) up to rating 150 (purple grade 27 items, now only available through crafting). Level 53 items go from 138 (green grade 28) to 156 (purple grade 28).

Thirdly, please learn to use punctuation. Your text is absolutely horrible to read.

Edited by DataBeaver

I see this especially in KDY. I don't know why they do it. As dps it's even more frustrating situation.
I think it's because many people don't read tooltips or think or pay attention, and it doesn't even occur to them that the different colors and icons and stuff actually mean anything amidst all the other flash and glitz.

So they just do what they learned to do soloing — CC something at random, because they learned that CC'ing something makes fights easier than not doing it.

They probably pick whatever looks most dangerous to them in their mind. Maybe it's based on the kind of blaster rifle they see or the color of the enemy's shoes. :p

Another nice KDY story....

My Sent just reached lvl 15 and is massively undergeared. Thus, I can't bring him in Hammer Station.

I chose to queue for a KDY and she is bolstered slightly over 24k which is kinda normal in wz under lvl 20 (when one doesn't have any earpiece, implant). I get a shadow tank, sage heal, shadow dps group. We load in and begin the fp.

During almost all the 1st scenario I end up face tanking my share of mob... Our tank being only lvl 21, I don't overly worry my *** over it. Then we reach the Elite defender in the 2nd scenario. Tank engage with the 2nd shadow, then I leap in. Cauterize > Master Strike > Zealous Strike > Strike > Blade Storm > Slash > Strike..... And I begin to pick aggro. Not worried at all I pop Rebuke and Saber Ward Happy to have a way to get a few Riposte in before the tank take aggro back.... Which never happens. Fortunately, our healer and my Rebuke kept me alive until we downed the elite. So I check tank stance.. He is in Force tech.... I ask him why he isn't in Combat tech.. He just answer he is a n00b and switch stance so I just go along.

Everything is going alright until the boss.... Trooper with nades boss :rak_03: I just say to go left first to degauss then wait for the tank to open. He attack outside of stealth (Is it me or shadow, even tank, should always open from stealth) and I leap in. The first degauss went fairly well since I was the first there and have activated the station. The second didn't.... I stayed behind to finish the adds and got to the station just in time to see everyone standing there the station not activated... We wipe.. Grenades explodes....

2nd try... Nades kills us all at the third degauss..... After some explanations we try a 3rd time. Three time someone, dps shadow i think, activated the second station, letting us take the 2nd volley up our asses. /facepalm later, I explain him to not go for the one everyone isn't going to

4th try... We finally kill the boss..... :rak_01:

Firstly, "level 53 oranges" makes absolutely no sense. The level requirement of the shell itself has no bearing on the power of the item. The important thing is the level or rating of the modifications installed. I guess you mean the orange shells that drop with blue grade 28 modifications, which indeed have a rating of 148.

Secondly, "level X gear" also makes little sense. The quality of the item makes a huge difference. A purple level 41 item has approximately the same rating as a green level 49 item. Level 50 items actually go from as low as rating 122 (green grade 25 items) up to rating 150 (purple grade 27 items, now only available through crafting). Level 53 items go from 138 (green grade 28) to 156 (purple grade 28).

Thirdly, please learn to use punctuation. Your text is absolutely horrible to read.

yes i mean the orange shells that drop with the 28 modifications which are 148's which is the recommended gear for 55 hm and i could honestly care less if my text is not up to your reading standards and since when i did i mention level x gear in my last post? im pretty sure i did not mention '' level x gear'' at all sure i mentioned 148's but nothing about level x gear

Edited by cefert

I made another alt for Begeren colony originally for the purpose of role-playing, but then it turned out that Begeren colony is uh...

Yeah, so anyway, I really liked the character I made so I decided to level him up anyway, and maybe hook up with an RP guild after I got to learn the server a little a better. Got my baby Jugg up to 16, and power leveled him to 20 tanking hammer station runs. The random RP in BC might be weak, but at least my services were somewhat in demand.

I have a habit though, that seemed to anger more than a few of my fellow players. At the start of each run, after introducing myself to everyone, I ask everyone if they read English. It's just a habit I've gotten into, because there are a lot of players (bad problematic players) I've run into over the years who don't respond to chat. Apparently, on Begeren colony, it's considered impolite to ask if people know the lingo. I got cap bombed more than once, and told that I was now on an ignore list. Yowza!

Asking people what language they speak has made me one of those weird people you meet in Group finder.

^^QFT

I can't read cefert's stories, though I'd like to. A few years back, I decided that, on any internet comment/post, if the contributor was too lazy to use punctuation and paragraph breaks, then I wasn't going to give myself a headache trying to figure out what the heck they meant.

Punctuation and paragraph breaks would make them readable.

yes i mean the orange shells that drop with the 28 modifications which are 148's which is the recommended gear for 55 hm and i could honestly care less if my text is not up to your reading standards and since when i did i mention level x gear in my last post? im pretty sure i did not mention '' level x gear'' at all sure i mentioned 148's but nothing about level x gear

Here, let me quote your earlier post:

healer inspects his gear and finds out he is only in lvl 50 gear and he is missing a relic so we boot the tank due to him being very squishy

If we disregard the grade 27 items which are very difficult to obtain, level 50 gear could be anything from critically undergeared (rating 122) to only just undergeared (rating 146 gear from classic comms vendor). The choice of stats is also important; a lot of default tank gear is poorly itemized with stats like alacrity or accuracy.

It's nice to hear that you care at least somewhat about your text meeting my standards (you're saying you could care less, which implies that your care level is somewhere above its minimum). You are also writing in a popular thread, which indicates a desire to communicate with other people. There's at least three people so far who have complained about your lack of punctuation, so please try to take a breath every once in a while and say one thing at a time.

So had a run with both a brilliant player and a not so brilliant one.

Myself as my scoundrel!healer, a sage!DPS, a sentinel and a guardian!Tank. HM Athiss pops.

The sentinel... I'm on a RP server and there's certain guilds you just learn to avoid in that aspect of the game. Not only was he in one of those guilds, but his character and legacy name were that of a canon character. Alright, no worries, I can grit my teeth and be a big player... and then he pulls before the tank. And again. And again. Eventually I stop healing but the Tank still grabs aggro back after a moment... until just before the first boss in Athiss where you have the five droids that can be a group killer.

Sentinel leaps in and... melts. 30K to 0 in, at most, 3 seconds. I have a chuckle and heal the rest of us through it surprisingly smoothly. The Sentinel's reason? "Oh I forgot this was a HM". Oh really? Cause you can do Athiss SM at level 55...

Unfortunately he died only one other time, on the final boss: he got caught in the flame balls of death. A "sorry, lagged" appeared up in chat after that. U-huh, sure.

Now the Tank... possibly one of the best I've seen. My healer's got above average gear, the two DPS were in average at best, the Tank in great gear, but we were chain pulling 2-3 groups without an issue. I don't mean the weaker ones, I mean the groups of 4-6 creatures. It was marvellous. He even tanked the Giant Beast boss where he spawns and took care of the adds when they spawned (which I prefer since these days most Tanks run back to the 'cave' or worse, the 'pond'). I wish I'd taken a quick picture of his stats and watched his rotation more cause damn, if I can get even close to that I'd be a happy mirialan.

Isn't 153 lvl 53 mod and 148 lvl 50?? New rating is *********** my head bad

If we disregard the grade 27 items which are very difficult to obtain, level 50 gear could be anything from critically undergeared (rating 122) to only just undergeared (rating 146 gear from classic comms vendor). The choice of stats is also important; a lot of default tank gear is poorly itemized with stats like alacrity or accuracy.

• 146/26/61 is Campaign gear (Classic commendations vendor)
  • 150/27/63 is Hazmat gear, which can easily be obtained through drops in 50 HM/NiM ops.
  • 148/28/66 is blue 53s which drop in 55 HMs (apart from bonus and final boss, which drop random Black Market 162/30/69) and on Makeb and Oricon.
  • 156/28/66 is purple 53s ( [Artifact] Gear), can only be obtained by Makeb storyline and crafting.

First number is Item Rating, second the crafting grade shown in the item name, third is the pre-2.7 tooltip number.

One weird in KDY:

Level 25+ Commando who only used Hammer Shot, Explosive Round, Stockstrike randomly and Mortar Volley if someone CC'd something. Also used blaster rifle.

Edit: Almost forgot. Every Vanguard knows about range of Explosive Surge, right? Now someone knocks all enemies off... Is that just wonderful!

Edited by Halinalle

150/27/63 is Hazmat gear, which can easily be obtained through drops in 50 HM/NiM ops.

I stand corrected. I thought this had been removed from the loot tables.

156/28/66 is purple 53s ( [Artifact] Gear), can only be obtained by Makeb storyline and crafting.

The Oricon storyline gives five pieces of this gear (full armor set sans belt and bracers). Another source is Artifact Gear Containers from CZ-198 weekly. Oricon weekly might have given them as well, but I don't remember for certain.

On the other hand, I don't remember Makeb giving gear with this high rating, aside from enhancements from the weekly. It certainly didn't back at its release, when it was obtained from basic commendations vendor. Aren't most Makeb rewards green items requiring level 51-54?

The Oricon storyline gives five pieces of this gear (full armor set sans belt and bracers). Another source is Artifact Gear Containers from CZ-198 weekly. Oricon weekly might have given them as well, but I don't remember for certain.

On the other hand, I don't remember Makeb giving gear with this high rating, aside from enhancements from the weekly. It certainly didn't back at its release, when it was obtained from basic commendations vendor. Aren't most Makeb rewards green items requiring level 51-54?

Yes right, the Czerka weekly drops a random piece from a container, forgot that. Also the one-time Kuat mission The Ranken Initiative gives an artifact container if it is finished on a lvl 55 char.

I have just looked up the Oricon weekly, it wont give a container but it will give you 12 elite comms.

Since my Sniper just hit 55 and is beginning the Oricon quests atm I have noticed that doing the [Area] The Master's' Minions gives you a container the first time you finish it.

was runing MP hm as mando dps got sage heal sent dps and vanguard tank. Tank satrts whit 9k hp and tells bs stories "just hit 55 so I dont have gear "just for fun I inspect him saw green lvl drop you get from first planets. Next thing I did is inspect his cheevs he havent done a single op in game but all others cheaves was ok including fp ones. So I called him on his bs... he dosent reply just plays dump (or was dump). He trys to tank but you cant tank naked so he keeps on dieing. we left tank behind on first elevator in the end he caches up already wearing his tanking gear whit 37k hp we start loughing at his failed troling atempt and he leaves before last boss. we finished fp whit no problems and tank ended up on my ignore list. worst thing other dps and heal tried to explain to tank how to get better gear and prepare yourself for hm fp when dude only wanted to make fun of them...

I was running a KDY on my level 22 sorc. While I'm specced lightning, I'm more than happy to toss out a few heals. This group had:

A 40-something assassin tank who queued as a dps and had a cunning chestpiece;

One of those marauders (level 45). He pulled extra groups constantly, wouldn't heal in between fights, would randomly sit there for 10 seconds during fights, would pop all his defensive CD's the second a fight started, wouldn't kill adds.....

I ended up ragequitting at the droid boss. That's the first time I've quit a KDY like that, but we were on attempt #4 with no headway.

would randomly sit there for 10 seconds during fights

Does anyone know what's up with that? I've started to think they are bots.

Not to even mention the way they play their class is strange:

- Shadows who only use Project/TK Throw + sometimes no technique selected

- Vanguards/PTs who think they are ranged + usually no cell selected

- Commandos who use blaster rifle

Edited by Halinalle

I've started to think they are bots.

Maybe not. We had a guy who walked into the corner and just stood there for about thirty seconds.

I joked in chat that his character was having a pee, as that's what it looked like he was doing. We all laughed about it and so did he. Turned out his wife had come in and distracted him with wife-type-stuff, as is their wont.

Edited by PLynkes

Does anyone know what's up with that? I've started to think they are bots.

Not to even mention the way they play their class is strange:

- Shadows who only use Project/TK Throw + sometimes no technique selected

- Vanguards/PTs who think they are ranged + usually no cell selected

- Commandos who use blaster rifle

Actually Commandos who are totally heal specced can get away with that as the healing abilities are not affected by the weapon only the damage.