How do you think my new build will do running SWTOR?

jedimasterjac

So, long story short, my PC was in need of an upgrade, so I'm upgrading my CPU and getting a new Motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's a nice little upgrade, but I'm not totally the smartest person when it comes to PC specs/optimization, so I figured I'd post here and see what folks thought.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Processor

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

GPU: GTX 1070 TI

It should, work just fine in normal play - 100+ fps - but it will, of course drop down in PvP and OPs, but remain "playable".

You would be a bit better off with a 5600X and a B550 motherboard (for SWTOR) since the 5600X has slightly higher base and boost clocks and SWTOR doesn't need the extra cores. But it comes down to other factors such as cost and what other apps and games you use.

Edited by JediQuaker

It should, work just fine in normal play - 100+ fps - but it will, of course drop down in PvP and OPs, but remain "playable".

You would be a bit better off with a 5600X and a B550 motherboard (for SWTOR) since the 5600X has slightly higher base and boost clocks and SWTOR doesn't need the extra cores. But it comes down to other factors such as cost and what other apps and games you use.

Just don't compare it to the man using the nasa computers, and you'll do fine ;)

So, long story short, my PC was in need of an upgrade, so I'm upgrading my CPU and getting a new Motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's a nice little upgrade, but I'm not totally the smartest person when it comes to PC specs/optimization, so I figured I'd post here and see what folks thought.

It's good enough to play swtor :)

Happy...... swtoring??? I don't bloody know lol! :)

SWTOR is still 32bit, which means the number of cores/threads does not mean much to the game. What will tax it further is what else you may be doing while playing. OS demands, multiple GPU's/screens, streaming in/out (audio a/o video).. that is where the additional cores/threads will be handy.

For the game alone, anything that is quad core (base 4/x, not 2/2) and has a base *3GHz or better speed will be 'fine', but the faster the better.

(* : used to be 2.5GHz, but then they started 'forcing' more garbage on our screens).

Unless you have a 1070ti laying around (or donated), the cost vs a newer GPU is meh, so I would go newer. The power consumption under load alone makes it worth a few extra bucks for the newer option(s).

I will also throw out there that just about any SSD is a vast improvement over spinning rust, but if you want to maximize the bang for your buck, make sure to pay attention to both the write and read speeds.

A final tip: no matter what the component, look them up on the various benchmark sites to compare the 'documented specs' vs the 'real world' performances. There will always be some variance between the two, but you can start getting a better grasp on who publishes real info and is a bit more reliable vs who looks good on paper but is full of poodoo and should be avoided.

SWTOR is still 32bit, which means the number of cores/threads does not mean much to the game. What will tax it further is what else you may be doing while playing. OS demands, multiple GPU's/screens, streaming in/out (audio a/o video).. that is where the additional cores/threads will be handy.

For the game alone, anything that is quad core (base 4/x, not 2/2) and has a base *3GHz or better speed will be 'fine', but the faster the better.

(* : used to be 2.5GHz, but then they started 'forcing' more garbage on our screens).

Unless you have a 1070ti laying around (or donated), the cost vs a newer GPU is meh, so I would go newer. The power consumption under load alone makes it worth a few extra bucks for the newer option(s).

I will also throw out there that just about any SSD is a vast improvement over spinning rust, but if you want to maximize the bang for your buck, make sure to pay attention to both the write and read speeds.

A final tip: no matter what the component, look them up on the various benchmark sites to compare the 'documented specs' vs the 'real world' performances. There will always be some variance between the two, but you can start getting a better grasp on who publishes real info and is a bit more reliable vs who looks good on paper but is full of poodoo and should be avoided.

Thanks for all the input! I would've gone for a better price/performance as far as GPU goes, but the 1070 Ti was what I had in my old computer, and I couldn't really justify a new GPU when mine is already, well, more than good enough for my purposes.. I upgraded RAM, Motherboard, and CPU, and while I'm sure there're better builds, it didn't cost me an arm and a leg and I'm able to do WZs and Ops at 60+ FPS pretty consistently now, so I don't have much to complain about!

Edited by jedimasterjac

I have a similar build and I can tell you that you will run swtor perfectly in PVE , but sadly , you will still see drops in performance in PVP , like 60 fps - sometimes below that, but your experience will still be a good one(better than most have). Overall you have a very good system for most modern games except swtor that uses an engine from your grandpa's youth . ;)

If you want to run swtor perfectly, you need to buy a very expensive CPU and I don't think it's worth it .. I know it isn't for me.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

How in the blazes are You able to come up with a statement like this in 2020?

What computers comes with RAM that isn't 'fast enough' today?

The poster was possibly thinking about the fact that RAM speed does affect the performance of AMD CPUs and APUs.

With faster RAM you'd only drop down to 20.5 fps instead of 20.0 😏

The poster was possibly thinking about the fact that RAM speed does affect the performance of AMD CPUs and APUs.

With faster RAM you'd only drop down to 20.5 fps instead of 20.0 😏

Not that RAM speed has that much of an impact, but RAM in my last build was pretty garbage and I did update it. Helps in some other (non-SWTOR!) things.

As to AMD.. yeah, they have always had on again off again timing issues over the years, many of those issues dating back to when they first acquired DEC Alpha and retro'd those chips for consumer use.

For RAM in general, Once the industry standard shifted into DDR3, the majority of 'RAM speed' issues went away.

The other boost (for consumers) was that RAM MFG disaster a few years ago, as they literally had no choice but to update to the newer stuff to stay in business, and (mostly) RAM timings have not been much of an issue since. There are some rare older builds that still have some fairly crummy timings on the RAM that was installed, but it's almost an extinct issue.

A full 0.5 extra FPS:rak_02:What a bargain.

Don't get the wrong idea. Fast RAM for AMD chips does make a difference, especially for the APUs, where the man memory is shared with the graphics.

For current AMD CPUs and APUs (Cpu + Gpu), DDR4-3200 to 3600 is the current sweet spot for price/performance.

My only point was that, when it comes to the fps drops in PvP and OPs, RAM speed isn't going to make enough difference to even be noticeable. 🙂

Personally.......as a gamer, I find tremendous comfort in having my fast high quality overclocked sticks for the times when it matters. I admit that I am a RAM enthusiast and actually have the patience to find the lower clocks that are stable to provide the best data transfer on my board. Always use the QVL from the motherboard manufacturer before going shopping for hardware. You can still be price savvy but have a great high performing pc. Don't forget that every piece of hardware is equally important to overall system performance. As a recommendation, aside from the mobo qvl, you should always go with the software also provided by the mobo manufacturer as ANYTHING else is a risk. hope this helps!!!

Edit: I am currently using https://www.gskill.com/product/165/166/1562839659/

These are the tried & true B-die that have extremely low latency when overclocked. Yes you will pay more for the die, but you have great versatility for lower timings and longevity if you wish to change boards. I don't do extreme overclocking for benchmarks as I take care of my hardware, but these sticks do exceptionally well for all gaming with really good stability for enthusiasts.

Edited by Croixxxx

Don't get the wrong idea. Fast RAM for AMD chips does make a difference, especially for the APUs, where the man memory is shared with the graphics.

For current AMD CPUs and APUs (Cpu + Gpu), DDR4-3200 to 3600 is the current sweet spot for price/performance.

My only point was that, when it comes to the fps drops in PvP and OPs, RAM speed isn't going to make enough difference to even be noticeable. 🙂

Oh yeah I'm just memeing the game's poor performance:rak_03: