Current state of Full tanks in PvP ? (returning player)

Leonyn

Hello :)

i'm mainly a full tank player for premade groups, but didnt play since february. How is the current state between all the tanks and are there major discrepancies in their damage absorption ? How about the Utility ? Did they fix it that tech/force damage types simply ignore shields ?

Are full tanks still even considered for premades or are people just playing hybrids now ?

They won't fix Shield not blocking Force/Tech attacks because that is rooted in PvE balance.

Hybrid tank is the way to go. Pick one: Shield+Absorb or Defense, focus on that and pretty much ignore the other. It will take quite a bit of minmaxing your gear, and depends on your class/spec/talents/etc.

Whichever one you choose to remove, put offensive stuff there instead.

Edited by Arlanon

Tanking in PvP at the moment is painful and usually brief because the game is 'balanced' for DPS uber alles. Most of the damage done in PvP simply bypasses the shields / defense and armor.

The good pvp teams who know how to prioritise, lock-down and focus-kill a target mean that you won't really survive any longer than anyone else (or at least, in most scenarios you'll be stuck behind the pit-room door just as long as anyone else). If you're in a PUG, find a healer, guard him and stick to him like glue. Do your best to keep him alive for a couple of seconds longer. If there's no healer in the PUG you're probably better re-speccing to a damage build and joining the DPS fest. You won't notice any marked drop in survivability and maybe you'll take a couple of the other team down with you.

Edited by Cybermeister

'Tanking' in this game is still amazing. You just don't be the herp-derp, spec all defense, chain spam slow goober, and you'll be amazing.

Switch guard, have enough defense to survive through focus fire with light healing, have enough dps to affect the battle, and you'll be epic.

Edited by KettleBelll

'Tanking' in this game is still amazing. You just don't be the herp-derp, spec all defense, chain spam slow goober, and you'll be amazing.

Switch guard, have enough defense to survive through focus fire with light healing, have enough dps to affect the battle, and you'll be epic.

This. Just the first one alone will make you an amazing guard. Most can't manage guard swapping while attacking though.

Full tank spec, maxing EWH (1380 exp) 25k hps. My survivablity is through the roof, even without a healer.

With WZ adrenals/medpacs, and class stuns and cooldowns i can vouge that Tanks are legit in PvP if you play them correctly.

"If something is worth doing, its worth doing right."

-H. Thompson

Not really.

or u could roll a hybrid assassin or marauder still and output great dps while having multiple survival abilities

you'll live almost as long as a tank which much better dmg output

gr8 thinking BW

This is the truth, and if you think you really are all that much survivable because you "play properly", then think how much better you'd do with one of the favoured dps classes that have better survivability tools built in than any of the tank classes.

To the OP: Nothing has changed besides what you mentioned... TTK is lower, pure tank survivability has not changed besides the inevitable hp creep, which will give you about one extra autoattack worth of time.

Hello :)

i'm mainly a full tank player for premade groups, but didnt play since february. How is the current state between all the tanks and are there major discrepancies in their damage absorption ? How about the Utility ? Did they fix it that tech/force damage types simply ignore shields ?

Are full tanks still even considered for premades or are people just playing hybrids now ?

Jugg/Guardian tank with cc immunity (xx/12+/xx) is really great in group/healer support. Full tank shadow/assa is good, althogh better used as dps tank hybrid. PT/VG is rarely seen, they dont over such nice gimmiks the other 2 ACs have (Immunity to Stun, Immunity to Force/tech, Selfheal)

My previous post was by no means a personal attack on anyone's play style or the fact that there is not "right" way to play this game. Although i must insist that while some hybrids get more survivability than their pure dps speced rivals, no hybrid will have the survivabilty as a purely specced tank class.

And i am not making an argument that anyone is wrong, you should spec, gear and play how you feel.

Personally I have found a rightous hard-on tank spec with tank gear is very viable in PvP, yes i have tested the hybrid builds (i dont give any F***s) about dps) yes i paritcipate in Rated on a weekly basis.

NO i am not fishing for personal attacks from this post, mearly giving my 2 cents.

Tanks are still game changers in PvP. Just don't expect to "tank" in the PvE sense where you stack your defensive stats really high and expect to take a lot of direct hits. You'd probably want to go more for offensive stats so you can at least do some decent damage and have a high amount of endurance so that you can guard without dying too fast.

Your job is counter-focus-fire and protecting your allies (particularly healers). If you've ever healed you'd know how much more difficult it is without a guard.

Some tanks put up hundreds of thousands of protection points through clever use of taunts and guard swapping. That's like negating an entire DPS player on the enemy team while still bringing powerful CCs and keeping your teammates alive.