Skype vs Vent

-MunkeyNutz-

Skype is ok when questing with friends. You set up a conferance call and you all talk together.

Vent is prefered by guilds due to the fact that you can set up different channels and easily switch between them. The entire guild can be loged into vent, easily accessible by everyone, but spread over different channels... (you dont really need to listen into the raid channel, if you are doing a flashpoint with other guild mates)

So I would use vent, but skype is ok if you only quest with your friends.

In my experience I would say Skype<Ventrillo<Mumble. Not to say Vent isn't wonderful it's a great app however I'm a huge fan of mumble now that I've had a chance to try it out, sound quality is way better and it doesn't seem to be a memory hog in the least bit.

Vent is free if you use your own system as the server. Some guilds rent server space for better capacity/ease of use.

Honestly its not that much to rent a server if he plans on just having a few of his friends on to play with him, also for a guild a few bucks here and there can pick up the extra slots needed. All in all either mumble or vent are great services.

GSC

16 characters

I used GSC back in my warhammer days, was a good program. I use Dolby Axon now, has some AWSOME surround sound quality. You get a big room that everyone sits in, can just move your little icon around the room, and depending where everyone else is from yours, you hear them from different speakers. Sounds awsome in my turtle beach headset

thanx alot everyone... i really appreciate all the help...seems like Vent is the most popular, but i think i mite just download both skype and vent... cover both ends... then figure out later wich one ill use more then dump the other.. sounds like vent mite be it tho..

For most decision it comes down to what the guild you join is using.

If you are going to do you're own thing. Vent is most popular and thinner client as stated but you'll have to pay a small monthly sum to a hosting company. Skype you won't have to rent a hosting server but less people will be willing to use it because of the system demands.

Skype has a maximum number of users per call so you can't invite your guild of 50 players into one skype call. If its with a party of friends like 4-5, (i think the max is 12 ppl in a skype call but don't quote me on this) then id say use skype. It allows you to instant message too if your not in a call.

Other than that if you have a guild I would definitely use vent because it can be moderated and organized as well as fit as many people as you pay for.

Some of my gamer friends use Skype and if I am not mistaken it does not have a "Push to Talk" (PTT) option, which means you hear EVERYTHING on both sides. I am not a fan because you hear their squeaking chair, keyboard, game music/sounds, burps, farts, cussing, screaming kids, private family talks, etc. With PPT, you can set a global HOT KEY so that you can press that key combo in-game which only activates your MIC and their MIC when you need to talk.

I started using RaidCall which gives you a free group (up to 50 people) chat room, PPT and may of the same features as Ventrillo and TeamSpeak... without the cost of monthly chat room hosting. It is totally free, light weight (on memory and processing) and crystal clear.

Edited by Kurindrix

Used Mumble once, great quality and it auto adjusted volumes, but setting up is not for the uninitiated. Vent remains the standard, but constantly adjusting individual volumes blows.

You should Google "normalize ventrilo settings"...set it up and it works like a champ.