[Music] Constant music option / loop please

llesna

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% Alderaan is such a tease. I can't tell you how many times I've enjoyed the music on the loading screen, only to be left in silence 5 minutes later. I really like the score on many worlds, but it feels like they almost never play when I need it. I've resorted to playing a mix-set of classic star wars in the background.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree 100% Alderaan is such a tease. I can't tell you how many times I've enjoyed the music on the loading screen, only to be left in silence 5 minutes later. I really like the score on many worlds, but it feels like they almost never play when I need it. I've resorted to playing a mix-set of classic star wars in the background.

I felt the same way about the Balmorra theme back in beta. Why do you hardly ever hear it? Such a waste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_MMVb4T-U&feature=player_embedded#!

Edited by Campaigner

• 4 weeks later...
I've been asking for a loop music option for over a year now. I wonder if this is another one of those things they don't even know isn't in their game. Kinda like the ready check function that we still don't have.

Music is a powerful tool in holding interest. I'm surprised the only time you hear "combat music" is when you attack certain mobs. Makes everything else a bit boring.

I maintain that the music in this game runs precisely the OPPOSITE of how it should.

In a movie, the music ramps up during fight scenes to keep it exciting. Music is lower during slower scenes. It makes movies more exciting that way.

BW made the music in this game the same way, but video games should be the opposite of that. Sure, a little music at the beginning of a fight is okay, but during the fight I'm trying to concentrate and focus on a lot of things, and loud music is just distracting.

During slower times (on speeders, in towns, etc.) I wouldn't mind listening to music. It should be louder then. Instead, we get nothing.

We totally need the music to actually be playing. When I think of all of my favorite games I can come up with 5 different songs from the game in a second but with ToR I cant even think of one which is rather sad since I love this game so much :D

Signed. So much good music in this game and you only hear it a small percentage of the time. Good example is the last boss fight in False Emperor. I do that dungeon just to hear that over and over and I don't even need to go there. Sad really.

Loop music or an ingame jukebox kinda thing that lets me select what track I want to listen too. The music is one of the reasons I play :)

Dear devs,

Whenever I play SWTOR, I like to have music on all the time. As such, I have to turn off the music in-game as it frequently drops out and stops for extended periods of time, leaving me only with music for a fraction of my game time.

For players like myself, we want music to be playing at all times.

The music can still fit to the situation, such as combat, exploring etc., but it shouldn't fade into nothingness.

Please implement an option in-game to keep music on at all times, wherever you are.

Kind regards

llesna

I watch NetFlix on my second monitor making the ingame music undesirable. You could do something like that instead. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Dev Post

Hey everyone, I talked to Todd Davies (Audio Director), and he had some information to share with you all!

First off, music should be looping on a fairly regular frequency. There could be some issues preventing this, and we'll definitely take a look and address any bugs we find. Secondly, we're definitely open to providing more customizable options for music looping and frequency in the future; it's something we'd like to take a look at.

...we're definitely open to providing more customizable options for music looping and frequency in the future; it's something we'd like to take a look at.

I feel like this needs to be added to the list of DOZENS of UI and immerison improvments that get a cute little post like this... then never materialize.

How's that upgrade to the crafting menu going? Sick to death of having to switch it to level-based sorting before it's even remotely useful...

I watch NetFlix on my second monitor making the ingame music undesirable. You could do something like that instead. :)

I used to listen to Pandora or my MP3's on other games, but SWTOR already pushes my CPU pretty hard and it's not practical any more. So, I'd really like to hear the game's music instead of the long, long, long stretches of dead air that I get now.

I used to listen to Pandora or my MP3's on other games, but SWTOR already pushes my CPU pretty hard and it's not practical any more. So, I'd really like to hear the game's music instead of the long, long, long stretches of dead air that I get now.

ditto

• 2 months later...

The SW:TOR soundtrack is amazing, however it's rarely heard at all and even when it is, it's only a small piece of a planet's theme for example. On the other hand the flashpoints seem to have looping music, but then again it's only few short music pieces that repeat throughout all flashpoints.

I remember that in a Dev Dispatch video about the music of The Old Republic released before the game launch they were saying that they don't want the music to be too noticeable, that they don't want a player to say "Hey that Alderaan battle theme was amazing!"...

I'm asking here - was this the same approach that John Williams took when writing the original Star Wars Soundtrack? That he didn't want it to be recognizable? Or when George Lucas wanted music to be playing in almost every minute of the movies?

No it was not and all over the world the Star Wars music is incredibly popular and recognizable. It is my strong belief that by making SW:TOR's music just a sparse background tune you're taking away a big part of the "Star Wars" of the game. The music editors need to thoroughly review where and what music is playing - most importantly outside the cinematic scenes.

You have the original Star Wars music from the six movies, you have the KOTOR soundtrack and you invested a lot in producing an extremely high quality soundtrack for SW:TOR, just put it there and let it play. The powerful recognizable music is one of the distinct traits of all that is Star Wars!

Edited by Darth_Haderach

/signed

It's a little better than it was when I left in May, but there still is no real looping music on the various planets. In previous games, sometimes I'd turn down the sound effects and ambiance very low so I could absorb the music. Since I tend to play really late at night, it gives me a real feel for the zone/planet I'm going into.

Plus, I feel music is as important to tell a story in a game as much as the writing and (even more so than) the graphics. It's a shame that the music fades out so quickly still.

Edited by natashina