Time for a PvP Fix

fungihoujo

Like I've said repeatedly, we could use a slight buff to damage and another survivability tool. But all that is needed is a slight tweak. These people continually acting like the class is totally broken just like to complain and will continue to do so unless and until they make Sorcs so overpowered that they can faceroll dominate in ranked warzones.

We do just fine in PvE. Slightly behind some other DPS classes, but we put out plenty of DPS to clear anything in the game.

In PvP we need a slight buff. Hopefully it will come with the level cap increase.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can only pray that when they redo the skills for the new 55 level cap, they sort some of this out.

We are meant to be glass canons, fine I get that but we're glass canons with no balls....canon balls I mean.

:D

That said, I've had top damage in the last 3 warzones I've been in, and yes that was pre 50 pvp, but even with there being level 47 warrior (my toon is level 25) smashing all over the place. You need to be really, really fast to survive as a sorc/sage. If you don't have your abilities keymapped properly for instant use you are doomed.

Pre 50 pvp isn't the problem ,it's end game pvp where you see the true imbalances.

Like I've said repeatedly, we could use a slight buff to damage and another survivability tool. But all that is needed is a slight tweak. These people continually acting like the class is totally broken just like to complain and will continue to do so unless and until they make Sorcs so overpowered that they can faceroll dominate in ranked warzones.

We do just fine in PvE. Slightly behind some other DPS classes, but we put out plenty of DPS to clear anything in the game.

In PvP we need a slight buff. Hopefully it will come with the level cap increase.

Correction we put out good aoe dps while our single target is piss poor,that goes for pve and pvp.An nodody wants our class to be op, we want to be able to stand a chance against those double glowstick wielding douches.I can pretty much garuntee you sir do not play end game sorc pvp.

Correction we put out good aoe dps while our single target is piss poor,that goes for pve and pvp.An nodody wants our class to be op, we want to be able to stand a chance against those double glowstick wielding douches.I can pretty much garuntee you sir do not play end game sorc pvp.

Your guarantee would be incorrect. I have both a Sorc and a Sage, both DPS, who have been in full war hero gear for months. I've played DPS Sage since early access, and my Sorc was my second toon. DPS Sorcs and Sages can do perffectly fine in unranked warzones. I do just fine and routinely top DPS charts, and I'm not even one of the best Sages/Sorcs on my server, as I PvP more casually. In addition, I have cleared every raid in the game except for Nightmare EC, which I have not started yet.

The problem comes in ranked PvP, where balance problems are exaggerated. Yes, we need a slight damage buff and a survivability buff for ranked. I've never said otherwise. I'm just realistic about my expectations. I also think part of the problem isn't the design of Sages, but the overtuning of other classes, particularly Marauders.

Edited by SoonerJBD

Yea I can pretty much consistantly get top damage also but thats all aoe damage ,and we all know aoe dps doesn't kill things.Our single target lacks severly.I personally prefer lightning over madness, but lightning itself is complete garbage.So now im stuck going hybrid.

Yea I can pretty much consistantly get top damage also but thats all aoe damage ,and we all know aoe dps doesn't kill things.Our single target lacks severly.I personally prefer lightning over madness, but lightning itself is complete garbage.So now im stuck going hybrid.

I wasn't aware AOE damage didn't kill things. I could have sworn it did.

Try full madness. I like the 2-second root from Creeping Terror on low cooldown. Death field, mind crush, shock hits pretty hard. I have no problem one-on-one against most classes.

Have you met mr. Deathfield? Fairly sure be's an aoe, and fairly sure no one likes it in their face.

True against most class sorc starts at a disadvantage right now, but nothing a skilled player can't overcome. Issue in RWZ, is its all skilled teams, used to working together, and most have at least a basic mastery of their class.

There, the slight disadvantage represent win or loss. There, you are a weakest link in a way.

Also remember you must balance class potential, not the average skill level to play it. Some class appear as OP, like lolsmash, due to their rather straightforward rotation and anyone with a spare 5 minute on a dummy will prolly have the rotation down. On the other hand, dps sin are seen as underdogs by many, but reach dps in the 2k still.

Thats playstyle difficulty, and not class potential.

In another game I played, I always said about balance issue that YES 80% of the players were whinning about how something was obviously OP and another needed massive loving. I said you needed to look at high-skilled player and balance over what you saw there. They didn't. Result was a fiasco that nearly killed that game.

Sorc needs 3 thing imo:

-some proc that isn't % dependant

-some mobility in lightning

-an extra powerful defensive cooldown to help deal with the ammount of burst in pvp.

Give it that, make some tweaks so a very few talents go baseline and you'll have a very powerful class.

Imo some damage should also be switched to elemental/internal, but thats up for discussion since it could very well make it a bit too powerful.

I wasn't aware AOE damage didn't kill things. I could have sworn it did.

Try full madness. I like the 2-second root from Creeping Terror on low cooldown. Death field, mind crush, shock hits pretty hard. I have no problem one-on-one against most classes.

Mind Crush and Shock don't hit that hard. A sin's shock hits harder, with ways to guarantee a crit. Death Field, okay, but why is it the only AoE that hits 3 instead of 5 (afaik please point out the others)? And again alot more AoEs hit harder than it does.

1v1 isn't a problem for madness, in fact full madness is one of the best class/specs for 1v1. The problem is that you can't get any considerable burst going as full madness. If you are good at kiting the survivability will be there if you play full madness, but what you can't fix is the bad force regen mechanic, terrible single target burst, over depedence on force lightnnig and the lack of dot protection. 1v1 the burst doesn't matter and neither does the force maintenance problems or the dot protection usually, but in the scope of a warzone this ruins the viability of the spec in rated.

I agree madness itself is fine,maybe a little tweaking here an there but over all I feel the spec is fine....But for people that don't really like the madness spec,thats the problem.I mained a shadow priest in wow so considering the sorcs playstyle is very similar i have grown fond of the class.I feel we can pretty much all agree though from a pvp stand point lightning tree needs some serious help.Lightning spec lacks adequate defensive capabilities and burst.An for the people that feel dps sorcs should compensate for there heals thats absolute crap.My heals honestly make no difference in a wz.I would gladly give up my heals for better damage or defence.

I agree madness itself is fine,maybe a little tweaking here an there but over all I feel the spec is fine....But for people that don't really like the madness spec,thats the problem.I mained a shadow priest in wow so considering the sorcs playstyle is very similar i have grown fond of the class.I feel we can pretty much all agree though from a pvp stand point lightning tree needs some serious help.Lightning spec lacks adequate defensive capabilities and burst.An for the people that feel dps sorcs should compensate for there heals thats absolute crap.My heals honestly make no difference in a wz.I would gladly give up my heals for better damage or defence.

Lightning definitely needs more help. It's not designed to be viable in PvP at the moment. Just too much standing and casting.

1v1 isn't a problem for madness, in fact full madness is one of the best class/specs for 1v1. The problem is that you can't get any considerable burst going as full madness. If you are good at kiting the survivability will be there if you play full madness, but what you can't fix is the bad force regen mechanic, terrible single target burst, over depedence on force lightning and the lack of dot protection. 1v1 the burst doesn't matter and neither does the force maintenance problems or the dot protection usually, but in the scope of a warzone this ruins the viability of the spec in rated.

Madness could use a slight damage buff for PvP. DoT protection would also be nice. Force regen I don't really have a problem with. Fights just don't last long enough for you to run out of force. Either you get killed or you fight the other team off and meditate for 5 seconds.

ideas for sorcs...

make our DoTs more potent. they are a joke.

add survivability to madness tree - a talent that gives extra armor would be nice

why do you guys give us dmg reduction vs DoTs when we can cleanse DoTs? that makes no sense... worthless talent.

thats it. healing or lightning/healing spec is fine.

also, bubble stun is a bit OP. sorcs are a bit of a 1 trick pony these days. however, to nerf bubble stun and not buff other areas of the sorc class would make the class worse than mercs and rather undesirable.

sorc survivability in the healing tree is great.

sorcs need survivability buffs in madness i cannot stress this enough.

also, change overload back the way it was. way to nerf an already eh class. this was one of those changes that made me go "huh?". you guys nerfed the coolest ability sorcs have besides force lightning. you claim you "fixed" it with the animation, but you didn't. its silly now. the force wave goes off, and then a second later my character smashes his fist on the ground. its almost like, um, okay? what just happened there?

Edited by crunchbarry

• 2 weeks later...
Wonder if we'll see anything good for the xpac- will have been almost a year since we got nerfed big time... too long, but, better late than never.

That's not what bothers me per se, although of course, we do need a much needed buff and defensive (like where the f*@~ is our shroud?), it's rather will they bring classes like lolrauder and the knight/warrior class in general back to a reasonable place?

And my thinking is that they won't, so we'll get a buff, they get one too, and we're still the same relatively speaking.

I’ve just recently come back to game – stopped playing May 2012. During that time I did nothing but pvp, this time round I’m getting more involved in the PvE side of things – HM FPs, daily’s etc – got myself a good guild and I now have a new found love for the game again.

The other side of the coin is it still saddens me that our gimped status in pvp remains… I played the popular hybrid CL/Wrath spec back in the day. Felt more like a glass cannon, burst wasn’t even that great back then either, but nowadays we’re more glass than cannon as most have highlighted. When they nerfed Wrath and killed the spec I went pure Lightning – it was actually pretty effective when played right, however

Couple of ideas (not sure if similar ones have already been stated):

Lightning:

- Wrath moved to Lightning tree-> Integrate Wrath into Lightning Storm now also provides 30% damage increase on CL

- Polarity Shift -> 1.5min CD, as well as the current effects, now also allows Lightning Strike to be cast on the move

- Lightning Barrier -> As well as the current effects, grants immunity to interrupt whilst shield is up. Affects only the Sorcerer.

- Thundering Blast -> Lower cast time to 1 sec(?)

Madness:

- Lightning Barrage moved to Madness tree -> 2 charges of Force Lightning quickened and 10% damage increase. (basically make the pre 1.3 bug an actual talent +10% dmg with the proc)

- Lingering Nightmares – 20% chance to reset the CD of Crushing Darkness, making the next one instant and deal 20% more damage.

I’m generally not very good at the whole numbers thing so take dmg %’s I’ve included with a pinch of salt. Some/all might be **** ideas, I dunno, but I do know that something needs to change and quick.

I didn’t comment on the Corruption tree as I’ve never used it as a solely dedicated healer.:rolleyes:

I gave up on the game,not only because sorcs are in a bad place ,but pvp is in a bad place in general.Too many bugs an such.Hope they fix one or the other though.Got my sniper up to level an although its ridiculous how much damage she puts out it's still not as fun as my sorc :(

Not that we weren't expecting it, but I guess it's (kinda) official now:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=600569

Backlash's effect is now limited to the caster.

but also yay for the new def ability

A new ability, Force Barrier, has been added. Force Barrier projects a barrier around the Sorcerer, providing immunity to all damage and effects while channeled (up to 10 seconds). Force Barrier is trainable at level 51.

Not entirely sure how everything will work insofar as balance is concerned, however the change to Alacrity, Polarity Shift being added as a Level-28 ability, a real friggin defensive cooldown!!!!, and some buffs to our damaging abilities all give me hope for Sorc-DPS in the future!

Between Joveth’s response to the Repair-Issue and the new information about the class abilities I am actually happier now that at any other point since 1.2.

As far as the Backlash change…as a community we basically asked BW to give us survivability and more damage in exchange for the Stun-Bubble Nerf. It looks like they have!

Very happy right now…off to the Test Server!

I need new BiS recommendations!

yep we do.

I'm really curious about its cd though

It's 3 minutes. The spell itself is a channeled 10 second spell that if you move or do anything else, the spell breaks and puts the ability on CD. (Kind of like Mage's ice block from wow but with a long channel.) It's essentially a "Please come help me, I'm going to die" spell.

It's 3 minutes. The spell itself is a channeled 10 second spell that if you move or do anything else, the spell breaks and puts the ability on CD. (Kind of like Mage's ice block from wow but with a long channel.) It's essentially a "Please come help me, I'm going to die" spell.

So they gave other classes a reflect everything for 3 seconds ability, or a teleport to someplace useful ability, or a damage ability they can use while CC'd, but gave us a self stun basically that allowed us to take ourselves out of a fight and not damage anyone?

Ofiicially retiring my Sorc unless that "slightly" that they boosted affliction and creeping terror is like 120% slightly.

They also removed Instant Whirlwind from the Madness tree.

*** for? What idiot thought that was a good idea? I am now more convinced these devs have no idea what they are doing. EA must want these people to screw the game up so bad that the players will quit so they can take the loss and use it as a write off.