Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731 The blog states we get 200 per month played so far.

Quote: Starting today, you’ll be earning rewards as part of our new rewards program, making your current subscription more valuable than ever. Current and lapsed subscribers will earn 200 Cartel Coins for every paid month prior to today (July 31, 2012) and until the Free-to-Play option launches.

http://www.swtor.com/free The table on this page says 150 cartel points per month prior to today and 200 from now on. This is NOT the same as in the blog.

So Bioware, which is it? 150 or 200 You know that 150 isn't the answer that people will be happy with.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the sub price was the reason...not your so called "AAA" content? Half of it is glitched, the other half is so linear that it's less MMO and more like you just tricked us into paying for a chopped up version of KOTOR 3. Bioware you really disappointed with your lack of foresight in the making of this game. Then again your not really Bioware, your just a clone...an infernal creation made by your soul sucking corporate sugar daddy that pretends it's the AAA developer that Bioware was. Remember that...your not a AAA developer, just a soulless husk with no ambitions aside from making big DadEA happy so he doesn't take you out back and shoot you like he did to Bullfrog,Maxis,Westwood, and your other siblings.

Just to add to the info and stuff....

Star trek Online went F2P some time ago. Since then the graphics have had a major overhaul, top notch for an MMO.

There have been several updates to the game. Events, missions, fleet owned starbases you can build etc etc.

Oh. My. God.

STO is THE example of grind-avoidance pay. They introduced "dilithium" as a new currency. Every non-crap item can only be had for dilithium. Even crafting was revanmped so that good items required dilthium. And dilithium is strictly rationed - there is a daily cap of how much you can earn. And it is non-transferrable between players or even between toopns. BUT it is available in the cash store.

In the end I could not even afford simple leveling gear any more b/o the dilthium cap. iIt was all grind grind grind.

Oh yeah - pvp diead as well, because of all the overpowered ships you could buy in the cash store.

Oh yeah - and new content. They STILL - after three years- haven't completed the Klingon faction. the game has essentially one faction, while the other is only half implemented, and Klingon players have been told for YEARS that new content would close the gap very soon. It never did. Consequently there were only 10-15% Klingon players. Which then led cryptic to produce much less Vanity content for them as well. Kling players STILL get massively shafted by Cryptic.

(...)

GW2 is going to be F2P.

FWIW, the guys doing GW2 are F2P pioneers. They are one of the few companies I'd trust to get it right.

EA? Not so much. Too much stupidity, too much greed.

This game needs some sort of veteran reward system.

There is not a huge amount of difference between the f2p and getting peeps to cough up and sub.

Maybe rewarding the people who do sub via a veteran system would help.

Every 3 months you earn a in game reward, pets,mounts,gear etc.

FWIW, the guys doing GW2 are F2P pioneers. They are one of the few companies I'd trust to get it right.

EA? Not so much. Too much stupidity, too much greed.

releasing a game that operates on the F2P with cash shop model that's been around for years is pioneering? ...

Yeah the sub price was the reason...not your so called "AAA" content? Half of it is glitched, the other half is so linear that it's less MMO and more like you just tricked us into paying for a chopped up version of KOTOR 3. Bioware you really disappointed with your lack of foresight in the making of this game. Then again your not really Bioware, your just a clone...an infernal creation made by your soul sucking corporate sugar daddy that pretends it's the AAA developer that Bioware was. Remember that...your not a AAA developer, just a soulless husk with no ambitions aside from making big DadEA happy so he doesn't take you out back and shoot you like he did to Bullfrog,Maxis,Westwood, and your other siblings.

Yeah, I noticed that, too, on their official investor's call. Making the claim that 40% cited sub prices as a reason for quitting and that they'd come back if the game was free? There's a difference between players saying "The sub price is too high. Make it free, please," and "There's no way I'd pay a sub for this substandard game. Maybe if it were free I'd play it as it is."

This game needs some sort of veteran reward system.

There is not a huge amount of difference between the f2p and getting peeps to cough up and sub.

Maybe rewarding the people who do sub via a veteran system would help.

Every 3 months you earn a in game reward, pets,mounts,gear etc.

Reading ftw.

F2P doesn't get operations

F2P doesn't get content updates for free

F2P gets fewer travel options

F2P gets a limit on character slots

F2P gets a limit on how many FP's they can play per week

F2P gets less inventory and storage space

F2P gets very limited access to sell items via the GTN

F2P gets fewer races to choose from

Just to mention the first few things that stood out to me that free doesn't include or has limits on. I am sure that when people want to raise some of these limits they will pay for it.

There will be items available also with the cartel points. Subs get cartel points every month as part of their sub as well. Guess you can choose which "veteran awards" you wanna pick.

Reading ftw.

F2P doesn't get operations

F2P doesn't get content updates for free

F2P gets fewer travel options

F2P gets a limit on character slots

F2P gets a limit on how many FP's they can play per week

F2P gets less inventory and storage space

F2P gets very limited access to sell items via the GTN

F2P gets fewer races to choose from

Just to mention the first few things that stood out to me that free doesn't include or has limits on. I am sure that when people want to raise some of these limits they will pay for it.

There will be items available also with the cartel points. Subs get cartel points every month as part of their sub as well. Guess you can choose which "veteran awards" you wanna pick.

But you can level for free to 50...so you willing to sub for operations and a few more fashpoints?

Well this all depends on how much you can buy and what you can buy with the currency. Right now every-things very vague and that makes things open for interpretation which in and of itself will hurt the game.

BW you promised us time and time again for quick updates, open communication, and listening to community feedback. Other than holding that guild summit (where almost none of the features that were asked got implemented - and yes I know things have a long leadtime in an MMO but at least letting us know you're working on it would have made a big difference) you guys haven't really shown much to us about listening to community feedback.

Where's cross server q's? With population dwindling again the ranked q's aren't popping as much as they used to be (at least on The Fatman) and on top of that, the competition just isn't there at the moment. Pushing out content that has little to no replayability (other than a boring grindfest - which the dailies are, they are not engaging in any way shape or farm, they become repetitive and a hassle to do).

You had a great thing going with PvP, it was fun, easy to get in to, rewarding skilled players. But you promised the PvP community so much and have yet to deliver on most of the stuff. Cross server q's and a working open world PvP experience being among them.

The game wasn't finished, you pushed it out too soon, then had to start patching the game to get it a decent competitive level. Now that you're almost there you make this very risky move.

It just feels to alot of us like your loyal subscribers are being shafted. I mean sure we get rewarded in in game currency (which we don't really know the value of yet, things might just be ridiculously overpriced) but you're giving content away for free that we had to pay for to play it. We bought the game for 50ish euros (which only got me a month of gametime) and then charged us a subscription rate, whilst providing a F2P optiont o players 7 months after release. It's risky, I hope it pans out for you guys but right now there's just too much controversy about the whole thing and too little actually known about what direction you will be taking the ingame shop in.

/Rant

TL;DR: I played since pre-access, am 50 legacy, but am very disconcerted about this move, too much unknowns, too many ways to bring the game in a wrong direction, too much unkept promises from the development team. Uncertainty.

I am thrilled the announcement finally came, since I've been waiting and predicting this would occur for nearly two years!

My hope is that they will emulate the LOTRO model as closely as possible, since it has been great for that game. Indeed, contrary to the myths that some would like folks to believe, it has added much to the game, not the least of which has been choice, variety in fluff, greater and faster content releases, and the ability to keep our Kinship (Guild) community together, despite some not being able to sustain more than one MMO subscription at a time.

I doubt most of those who were most bitterly opposed to this will actually leave. The game will surely gain far more active players for making this change, and the communities are certain to be stronger because of it.

Likewise, if this game matches the LOTRO experience in making the transition, we will not see the quality of players degrade. This was another myth put forward by people as LOTRO made the transition.

In the end, people kvetch, and those who moan about Freemium have their reasons. Those which they state openly, and the real reasons, which most won't dare say openly, be they would reveal them to be simply bitter and resentful.

But the challenges are still ahead for this game. It is not enough to just flip the switch. They must deliver. Freemium or not, if the content does not roll, people will bleed away. If they don't fix the core issues, the number of freeimies will grow and they will have the same problems as before.

But you can level for free to 50...so you willing to sub for operations and a few more fashpoints?

level cap should be increased with 1.4.. So you missing out on top content, and pvp gear.

So glad my sub is up in August, feel like I've just been ripped off royally. 80 bucks for a game that went F2P before the first year is even up plus all my sub fees that went to pay for the development of F2P instead of the content that it should have went to pay for. First and only game I will ever buy from your company, what a joke.

First of all, not too happy but hoping it will turn out well.

Secondly, it is stated that Collectors Edition will receive a prize. However, Digital Deluxe players don't appear to be mentioned at all.

That puts the unique prizes per price paid at (ignoring the prizes everyone gets):

Collectors Edition - Prize

Digital Deluxe - Nothing

Normal Edition - Nothing

Free-to-play - --No Subscription

You are puting both deluxe and some long time subscribers at a deficit to the free to play players.

Also, there are couple of Imperial items advertised for the cartel coins, but I see on republic items, I certainly hope that you bring out some GOOD republic stuff as well one day. Because it is getting a little ridiculous.

LOL. There is this thing called GW1. Around for 7 years now, it's been F2P from day one.

No it wasn't. It was B2P and you had to pay for each expansion as well and it wasn't a fully instanced game. Not a persistant world like MMO's have. Outside cities you would never run into other players. I enjoyed that game immensely but it was never a real MMO, so GW1 doesn't really count in this discussion.

F2P MMOs have been around for a long time as it is. It's not about pioneering but about market saturation. Sub models are less popular and there are too many games too choose from. Sad is it is f2p is a necessity to make games work nowadays. WoW just was the right game at the right time. The rest is **** out of luck. Just the way it is. Pioneering would be doing something completely different from this. Haven't seen that yet. GW2 is just f2p game that charges you a box price as well.

First of all, not too happy but hoping it will turn out well.

Secondly, it is stated that Collectors Edition will receive a prize. However, Digital Deluxe players don't appear to be mentioned at all.

That puts the unique prizes per price paid at (ignoring the prizes everyone gets):

Collectors Edition - Prize

Digital Deluxe - Nothing

Normal Edition - Nothing

Free-to-play - --No Subscription

You are puting both deluxe and some long time subscribers at a deficit to the free to play players.

Also, there are couple of Imperial items advertised for the cartel coins, but I see on republic items, I certainly hope that you bring out some GOOD republic stuff as well one day. Because it is getting a little ridiculous.

150 bucks vs 60 bucks.

although digital should get something.

LOL everyone raging over this makes me laugh. Us players who actually like this game, will keep playing. You can leave...no one cares if you do ****. Better off without people who complain about every little thing. The only thing that changes for subbers is noobs and trolls in chat...big deal. Every other mmo has noobs and trolls in chat. All I have for the people upset about this is an invisible violin and a sign that says "So long".

You get 1000 cartel points for the CE

The rest get 150-200 points per paid month so far. I wouldn't say they get nothing.

This could be a good or bad change depending on how it done. For one it could bring in some new people which mean more people to play with which is a win in my book.

I’m slightly worried about the Cartel Coins (cash shop). Obviously we don’t know what thing will cost, but what I am given a month should count for something. I should be able to buy some nice things for my characters; I’m not saying I should be able to buy everything. I just don’t want to have to save for months to buy one thing or fork out more cash on top of the sub to buy these perk/items. This could real be a turn off for me. Simple make sure those of us who continue to pay a sub feel reward for doing so.

Also please don’t put all the best/coolest items in the cash shop. That can get old quite fast. There should be a good mix of stuff added to the game and things added to the shop.

Remember the crafter and don’t obsolete them with the store. Last don't make anything in the store a must have to play, such as elite lightsaber that are more powerful than those in game. Stay with cosmetic items, pets, speeder, etc.

PS It would be nice if you give a little something to those of us who bought the digtial deluxe edition (half the amount of coin or an item), after all we did spend more too. Still nice to see the CE getting some love, my sister will be happy.

I love the game and hope this will help the game see future expansion.

Edited by SithEmpress