Hmm...EU relaunch?

So this question popped into my head, being that DC had a relaunch and while some of the relaunch of DC has kinda irked me some of it I like. Such as the real Question possibly able to come back now since he was revived glad for that, so just wondering if Star Wars EU would be good for a relaunch? Or no? Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Red....not sure where you got SWG out of my post, this isn't about that. Its about relaunching the expanded universe, meaning go back to the beginning with everything and write new stuff about it that wasn't written before. Of course some characters could stay the same, but this would give more room for writers to write about characters that they weren't able to write about before. Or even, if in a relaunch the writers would be able to make new characters and expand it all out even more.

I'm an old school, started with Heir to the Empire EU fan. I feel that pretty much everything NJO and after lost that (and I'm going to pull an SWG term here) Starwarsy and Iconic feel to it. I think in the haste to appeal to the new up and coming, darker, grittier science fiction fanbase, they made the story far heavier and as such it lost its innocence.

That being said, I wouldn't want a relaunch, I'd want to retconn back to pre NJO. see what you think

I'm an old school, started with Heir to the Empire EU fan. I feel that pretty much everything NJO and after lost that (and I'm going to pull an SWG term here) Starwarsy and Iconic feel to it. I think in the haste to appeal to the new up and coming, darker, grittier science fiction fanbase, they made the story far heavier and as such it lost its innocence.

That being said, I wouldn't want a relaunch, I'd want to retconn back to pre NJO. see what you think

Wouldn't mind that, but am saying if they re-did the whole EU. Then some corrections could be made on characters, and more characters could be expanded on that weren't expanded on before since if the EU is relaunched everyone gets a clean slate. Now some characters, are fine as they are so they could just stay the same and authors could make new stories for them to be in. New characters would also be more easier to put in, because they wouldn't need to conform as to what is going on as of now.

Edit: Also folks not saying it has to be now, or later. Just a thought really.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I think anything NJO and after needs to be redone. Get rid of the god-like powers and the Vong and bring back Mara Jade! It doesn't need to happen now, but it should be done before they start a new series after FOTJ and what not.

I grew up on Star Wars. I would not want a relaunch. I also would not want a retconn of anything dealing withe New Jedi Order and beyond. I love those novels. They are very Star Warsy to me. I loved how dark the Universe became. So no, I would hate a relaunch.

...am I the only person that is totally cool with Mara Jade being dead? It made sense in the context of LotF...

I wouldn't support a relauch honestly. I hate when companies/writers/whatever do that. Alternate timelines are just blah, whatever happens, happens. Otherwise there's basically no consequences to anything the writers write.

And I've been reading since the Thrawn trilogy, right up and including Fate of the Jedi. Jacen Solo has always been my favorite character, and I was absolutely crushed when they killed him off. But you know what? It happened, and I'm moving on. I would not want any kind of re-launch to bring him back; that just feels fake.

I actually sort of liked the direction FotJ seemed to be going early on - I've always felt the Jedi shouldn't be above the law by virtue of the the fact that they have superpowers. That said, instead of really delving into that issue in the way I hoped they would, the Jedi just kept on doing whatever the hell they wanted, and overthrew the legitimate head of the Galactic Alliance because they didn't like that she was trying to rein them in... Though Daala did kind of go bat-**** crazy.

I think it was a needed change honestly, it's hard for the stories to maintain integrity for so long when the big four (Leia, Han, Luke, Lando) have guaranteed plot immunity.

A full relaunch is probably a bad idea. Having everything retconned out at once? Having to read all the new stuff that replaces the old stuff is not something I would look forward to, honestly.

It was bad enough when Lucas changed the OT to damn near unrecognizable. Please, for the love of The Force, don't do it to the Expanded Universe too....

I think it was a needed change honestly, it's hard for the stories to maintain integrity for so long when the big four (Leia, Han, Luke, Lando) have guaranteed plot immunity.

Actually, scratch Lando off that list. Only Luke, Leia, and Han are in George's Big Three with Immortal Plot Armor.

it would have some pros and some cons imo

i would hate to think i wasted all that time reading, and all that money buying the EU, just to have some1 say, scrap that we did it wrong, come buy and read it all again. also i think the writers that did do a good job would feel a little bit like they were slapped in the face to be told all their hard work was basically going in the bin.

but it would allow writers to undo some of the huge mistakes made by, (aww lets not get into that again lol). and if "the Thrawn trilogy" never happened, maybe GL might make movies 7,8,and 9

it would have some pros and some cons imo

i would hate to think i wasted all that time reading, and all that money buying the EU, just to have some1 say, scrap that we did it wrong, come buy and read it all again. also i think the writers that did do a good job would feel a little bit like they were slapped in the face to be told all their hard work was basically going in the bin.

but it would allow writers to undo some of the huge mistakes made by, (aww lets not get into that again lol). and if "the Thrawn trilogy" never happened, maybe GL might make movies 7,8,and 9

Ok, I am getting ready to invoke what some would say blasphemy...but JJ Abrams retconned the entire Star Trek Universe with his movie release. Some may see it as bad, however I see it as fresh. It allows for the author to refresh the story, and doesn't invalidate everything before...it uses it and allows it to exist, but then an "Alternate Reality," also exists on top of it. This is Science Fiction, we should have no problem with diverging realities.

I have seen the emu of swg and honestly, it is dead. There are no levels. Its the old pre-cu and everything. I found it very boring...

Off topic, but the cap was raised to 3k people and was still lining up to log on... it's anything but dead.

Lucas Arts really screwed up closing down the contract with SoE, they could have pass it to EA at least.

That aside, I seriously doubt a Re-release will benefit TOR at this point, they deserately need to improve their community relations and services - not to mention get their heads out of their person. Currently the dead servers or over-populated servers were a direction in the wrong way.

They should just concentrate on working on an expansion, be it DLC or microtransaction(sp) - along with all the service issues.

A relaunch would be bad. I am in favor of just an organization overhaul. Every aspect and concept in Star Wars that has gone through the different levels of canon needs to be looked at and concurrently put together, much like our encyclopedia iterations we get every year or two, and put back into a single continuity. There needs to be definite answers and authors need to be given stronger filters for the universe they are working in. I am all for creative freedom, but disregarding past works in the Star Wars universe is how we got into this mess in the first place. For better or for worse, it is best if GL is the only one who can override anything and have to keep up with continuity as established by him then as established by the next wannabe author in the EU.

It is just a matter of reforming the old, not dumping it and hitting the "Start Over" button. That type of mentality shows failure to actually work with and organize problems.

A relaunch would be bad. I am in favor of just an organization overhaul. Every aspect and concept in Star Wars that has gone through the different levels of canon needs to be looked at and concurrently put together, much like our encyclopedia iterations we get every year or two, and put back into a single continuity. There needs to be definite answers and authors need to be given stronger filters for the universe they are working in. I am all for creative freedom, but disregarding past works in the Star Wars universe is how we got into this mess in the first place. For better or for worse, it is best if GL is the only one who can override anything and have to keep up with continuity as established by him then as established by the next wannabe author in the EU.

It is just a matter of reforming the old, not dumping it and hitting the "Start Over" button. That type of mentality shows failure to actually work with and organize problems.

Respectfully, this isn't the issue at all. The issue is not a disorganized or paradoxical canon...though some of that exists. The problem is that some of us feel like publishers, looking at a business model, have moved the canon to such a place that it isn't recognizable as Star Wars anymore. It's all heavy handed, dark, and it lacks the romance and heroic spirit that it had in the Bantam Spectra days. It's not about an organizational issue...if that was the case a good Wiki would make us all agree. It's about content...not continuity.