Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

CourtneyWoods

Your display name has been synonymous with your email address for authentication since f2p went live. That ship has sailed.

yes I am well aware of that but now it's being forced..time to jump ship and just not post here anymore ...

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I am well aware of that but now it's being forced..time to jump ship and just not post here anymore ...

Even though, as has been said COUNTLESS times, your display name AND e-mail have NEVER been used as a security measure?

Strange that so many people who know NOTHING of security would leave because of their lack of knowledge. . . .

I wanted to remind everyone of this change coming tomorrow. After tomorrow morning's maintenance you will only be able to login using your display name. I wanted to make sure there was visibility on this change for anyone preparing today.

Also, if someone hasn't seen all of our information about this so far, we will be posting our usual run of news article, website, and launcher information to make sure everyone is informed of the change tomorrow. There will also be information on how to recover your display name also should you forget it.

Thanks!

-eric

Since this happens alongside, apparently, several other unannounced changes you're doing to the account system, could you say whether or not one of those changes is allowing people to use Paypal again? Quite a few people have been robbed of that option for no discernible reason. Have a guildie that won't be getting RotHC simply because Paypal isn't available.

Edited by Pscyon

Even though, as has been said COUNTLESS times, your display name AND e-mail have NEVER been used as a security measure?

Strange that so many people who know NOTHING of security would leave because of their lack of knowledge. . . .

and strange that posters don't read what others type before trying to be smart.....

hint go up 7 posts to what i posted

also who said anything about leaving?? I would hardly call not posting here as that ...

Edited by Avorniel

THIS IS WHY THEY ARE DOING IT.:cool:

They are trying to protect us from a Hacker tactic called Combo'ing. What Combo'ing is, is when a bunch of hackers attack a weak website that does not have good security and raid it for "Login & Password" info. Then, they take the login & passwords and start trying to use them on other websites (Examples- Paypal, Bank websites, GAME websites, credit card websites, ect, ect, ect.) and when they find a match they get on to the account and then they screw you. This tactic works quite often because people now more than ever are forced to register to online sites in order to get access to the site and most people HATE trying to remember several login's & passwords so, they try as much as possible to recycle the same login & password if they can (I try not reuse passwords for this reason but, people do it all the time). By changing their login requirement to a screen name it helps secure your information due to the fact most web sites want you to use your email address as your login and there fore most of the time hacker using this technique are going to try to use your email address as the login and then apply the password they found.

There will also be information on how to recover your display name also should you forget it.

I hope it doesn't end with "all customer support", then I might as well look for a different hobby. I know mine, but there are a LOT of people that don't even check this site, and a lot of people will get seriously annoyed if they have to pay for display name recovery. Might I suggest keeping it on the laucher as only news for the next 2 weeks?

Also, if you get any mails from here there's a chance your display name has already been mailed to you, except for ticket replies which use the real name for some reason, and newsletters that really just contain old news or advertisements.

• Dev Post

I thought I'd pop into this older thread and request people post on the 'new' thread.

I'd also recommend reading through the posts I made in the second iteration of the 'upcoming information' thread.

Second iteration I recommend reading through as it has 'moar things' explained:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=612230

Current thread we want new questions to go into:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=618148