Needing on Alt Rolls?

Usually, if the person who the item "belongs" to (=the member of the group who has the same main stat at the piece of equipment) doesn't need it and you ask permission before pressing need, it's completely okay. If you just press need without asking (or press need even though a person whose main stat is same as in the equipment also needs it), you'll probably be accused for ninjalooting.

Thanks all. The reason I was asking is that I was in an op last night, where the leader set to master, did not tell anyone the loot rules, all his guildies needed on all the underworld stuff even though they were already wearing underworld stuff. Nobody asked or anything. I told them that it was a F@#$%d up way to loot things and they defended themselves to the fullest about having alts. I was rather disgusted by the selfishness and rather shady way they handled it. I wanted an opinion from the outside on it to see if it was me being a dick or them being shady and unethical. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks all. The reason I was asking is that I was in an op last night, where the leader set to master, did not tell anyone the loot rules, all his guildies needed on all the underworld stuff even though they were already wearing underworld stuff. Nobody asked or anything. I told them that it was a F@#$%d up way to loot things and they defended themselves to the fullest about having alts. I was rather disgusted by the selfishness and rather shady way they handled it. I wanted an opinion from the outside on it to see if it was me being a dick or them being shady and unethical. I appreciate the feedback.

This happens all the time. If you're in another mostly guild run, you can pretty much guarantee they will need everything and trade to other guildies who actually need or keep for alts. If I see it happening without them being upfront about it, my reaction will depend on how dick they are about it and my mood at the time.

It's wrong, and not everybody does it, but it is fairly prevalent in my experience. If you're a tank or healer you can easily troll their raid, but it's tougher as a dps.