BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

I think it's over, we're never going to see any true change for merc / commandos, just wait for the advance class switch option to come and let us all switch for PT/ Vangurard for dps.

Why do I feel so disgruntled today, after all this time, talking about our class and his need of a buff months after months?

Well, this is kinda off-topic pvp wise, but still related, yesterday I did an EC NM with my merc using raid mox parser, how was my surprise when I saw my guildmate outdpsing me with his lolsmash juggernaut... and that made me wonder :

We do average in pve and below average in pvp, we are behind any class in terms of survivability and utility, and damage wise we are starting to get relegated at the back of the bus.

This class needs waaaaaay more than a simple "buff", and that is not something I feel we're ever going to see so, in my humble opinion, just reroll into a mara or pt, I'll take some time to reach lvl 50, I'll retake some time to properly gear him up, but believe me, you'll never look back at that disaster called Mercenary/Commando...

Edited by yoomazir

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know in all honesty...as a Merc we're supposed to be a Mobile Missile platform.... I for one don't really feel that way...and Missiles are supposed to be hard and fast hitting projectiles that obilterate their targets...again not something that i really feel as a Arsenal Merc. my missiles suck.. i run over 1290 Tech power.(giving my tech abilitys a bonus 909.something damage boost)..in almost Full wh and fully Augmented.. and i rarely hit over 4k...i barely break 3.8k with Hsm.

our damage sucks.

Edited by DaltarSpitfire
tech power was wrong.. :(

Im rerolling a PT, just send over wh gear and start the work on the rest. :)

i did this as well (Vanguard). it's almost night and day.

as a highly experienced Merc (beta Firebug), i have seen this class continuously diminish since 1.2. I have VERY little experience as BG or Ars.

i used to believe it was a l2p issue for the longest time, as i consistantly topped damage, medals, and objectives in post 50 PvP, finally realizing it was just me beating on bads. how i realized this was by rerolling VG and casually playing a Marauder.

i was going to go into how PT/VG is better than Merc (insta CGC proc, true mobility, instant casts, etc. etc.) but everyone here knows this. unfortunately, i do not feel BW does.

it's laughable at how utterly useless Merc has become in PvP.

and even more laughable that our issues are "escapability". escaping is for stealth classes...

MY issues are casted abilitites, defensive CD's, burst damage, and weapon damage attacks . which are not an issue on my VG (minus def CD's), and why it is infinitely more enjoyable to play in PvP.

i've been playing since early beta, and was quite a frequent poster and supporter of Mercs.

now i feel like i just wasted the time it took to type this :(

I feel I made a terrible choice at launch. I played Vanguard all the way through beta and really enjoyed it but I usually heal/rdps with my guild for raiding so I rolled commando. I had a great time and kept saying to myself...why isn't anyone interrupting me? Then the player base l2p and while things were still ok 1.2 hit and ravaged gunnery to uselessness. It's only gotten worse since. Eight months of gunnery fail and they still don't have the metrics to show a discrepancy? It just shows how poor straight metrics are ...oh look they are about even on a target dummy so they are balanced! I feel that I wasted every minute I spent on my commando in this game yet I am strangely loyal to the class for the good times my guild mates and I had in the first 2 months of the game. They ALL left and have not come back...I came back to check and see if things had gotten better only to find them worse. Sub expires in 2 more days.

So this will never get seen all the way back here, and I'm don't play a merc though I am a high level PVPer, but what if DPS mercs/commandos could spec (high in one of the trees) into having a cell that decreased their movement speed by 50% and increased their armor by 50% while it was active? This would leave all 3 ranged dps classes with their own niche (slingers get cover, sages are the king of kiting, commandos get to be seige tanks) while hopefully not screwing pve over since it doesn't change their damage output? IDK, I just know the class needs help, like the other 2 healing ACs dps specs that got nerfed to the ground in 1.2 (sages and scoundrels)

Obviously some talents would have to be adjusted so moves could still proc while in this new cell.

Edited by Asunasan

So this will never get seen all the way back here, and I'm don't play a merc though I am a high level PVPer, but what if DPS mercs/commandos could spec (high in one of the trees) into having a cell that decreased their movement speed by 50% and increased their armor by 50% while it was active? This would leave all 3 ranged dps classes with their own niche (slingers get cover, sages are the king of kiting, commandos get to be seige tanks) while hopefully not screwing pve over since it doesn't change their damage output? IDK, I just know the class needs help, like the other 2 healing ACs dps specs that got nerfed to the ground in 1.2 (sages and scoundrels)

Obviously some talents would have to be adjusted so moves could still proc while in this new cell.

Way too many classes can pretty much bypass armor so no, you suggestion is not balanced at all.

A Carnage Mara would ignore your armor, a pyro PT would giggle at you (as usual). And there is alot of attacks that are internal and ignore armor. Your suggestion, while you meant well just wouldnt help at all. We need more escapes, not less.

The more and more I play on my un-retired Gunnery Mando the more I don't feel we have any escape issues at all our problem is damage plain and simple straight up damage. Even if left completely alone all fight long our damage numbers are still utterly pathetic as low as 1/4 of what FOTM's are getting but still 1/2 that of most of the other DPS classes.

Gunnery tree charged bolts and grav need reduced to 1 sec casts and demo round needs a bit more ooomph if 5 vortex are in place. Assault needs CB to be insta cast as a valid railshot reset.

Job done give us the escape if need be I personally don't feel it's an issue though.

I feel I made a terrible choice at launch. I played Vanguard all the way through beta and really enjoyed it but I usually heal/rdps with my guild for raiding so I rolled commando. I had a great time and kept saying to myself...why isn't anyone interrupting me? Then the player base l2p and while things were still ok 1.2 hit and ravaged gunnery to uselessness. It's only gotten worse since. Eight months of gunnery fail and they still don't have the metrics to show a discrepancy? It just shows how poor straight metrics are ...oh look they are about even on a target dummy so they are balanced! I feel that I wasted every minute I spent on my commando in this game yet I am strangely loyal to the class for the good times my guild mates and I had in the first 2 months of the game. They ALL left and have not come back...I came back to check and see if things had gotten better only to find them worse. Sub expires in 2 more days.

I can relate to everything you are saying. It is beyond stupid how long Bioware Devs have neglected the Merc/Commando class. Sure if we are left alone then it isn't too bad but the second any melee spots us and locks in his rage tunnel vision we're absolutely 100% screwed. I remember they day I first got to the fleet and was ready to pick my advanced class. When I first read that Mercs could use two guns I was sold on it instantly. The thought of having two blasters made me happy but slowly overtime the two guns fantasy wore off and I began to see a steady decline in the Mercs ability to be useful and dominate in pvp. Bioware totally screwed us over has has done nothing to remedy this horrible mistake.

I vote they add a feature to let us be able to switch advanced classes instead. This would be acceptable solution since Bioware obviously has no clue how to fix mercs and make them a vital part of a pvp team again.

Edited by CraigTheMerc

The more and more I play on my un-retired Gunnery Mando the more I don't feel we have any escape issues at all our problem is damage plain and simple straight up damage. Even if left completely alone all fight long our damage numbers are still utterly pathetic as low as 1/4 of what FOTM's are getting but still 1/2 that of most of the other DPS classes.

Gunnery tree charged bolts and grav need reduced to 1 sec casts and demo round needs a bit more ooomph if 5 vortex are in place. Assault needs CB to be insta cast as a valid railshot reset.

Job done give us the escape if need be I personally don't feel it's an issue though.

You're doing it wrong if you're only getting half the damage of other classes when you're being left to free cast.

I have a DPS Merc and PT, both 50 now - huge difference in pvp fun factor.

Since I play strictly for the objective, I can still make my merc useful for the team, but it's really a drag.

DPS Mercs seem to lack everything:

- no gapclosers (jumps/pulls)

- no stealth

- no speed

- and at best mediocre damage

By contrast, my 50 sniper doesn't have any of the above either, but the damage is excellent and the roots and cc make up for the rest. My DPS sorcerer, also 50, excels in utility and damage, plus he still gets pretty nice heals as a bonus and I really love that bubble!

I would say, buff the damage of mercs/commandos and they would probably be more fun to play in pvp.

You're doing it wrong if you're only getting half the damage of other classes when you're being left to free cast.

Aye perhaps I should just run around like a loon ensuring I get involved in every fight :)

I think it probably stems from just being with good teams tbh but still feel we are lacking in damage.

You cant get hits off before the 3 x lolsmash has already killed the focus target, yesterday was consistently lolsmashers 700-900k everyone else 500k or so myself and other mando 300k scrubs :( I'd probably do more only using hammer/rail/demo in fact I might try that today. :)

Aye perhaps I should just run around like a loon ensuring I get involved in every fight :)

I think it probably stems from just being with good teams tbh but still feel we are lacking in damage.

You cant get hits off before the 3 x lolsmash has already killed the focus target, yesterday was consistently lolsmashers 700-900k everyone else 500k or so myself and other mando 300k scrubs :( I'd probably do more only using hammer/rail/demo in fact I might try that today. :)

I think someone once found spamming hammer shot in Assault Spec does like 1k DPS. Either way doing half while being left to free cast and being involved in the zerg the whole time is just a gearing issue I'd say. Well half of the non smashers. They're kinda cheating on that front tbh.

I have been screamin about this since i hit 50 last year. Once a melee character gets on you , you might as well hang it up. They have more ways to get closer to you than you have of getting away from them.

This annoyed me so much that I have stopped playing my merc all together and went to classes like sin or operative

you have to be smoking some good stuff to think there is'nt a problem.

My commando is my main and I would have to say I average around 450-550k in all the warzones put together. I usually hit 600-850k in a voidstar. Bro if you're only doing 300k, it's probably you. I know as for myself, I do run around "like a loon" ensuring I get involved in every fight. Reason being is I do a lot of damage.

On the topic of dealing with melee, Devs have it right. I do struggle a lot with melee on me. If a guardian/juggernaut in vigilance/vengeance spec jumps on me, I die instantly guaranteed. It would be a good idea to give an ability that gives us immunity to all controlling affects briefly on cooldown; much like the unremitting/unstoppable does for Guards/Jugs.

My commando is my main and I would have to say I average around 450-550k in all the warzones put together. I usually hit 600-850k in a voidstar. Bro if you're only doing 300k, it's probably you. I know as for myself, I do run around "like a loon" ensuring I get involved in every fight. Reason being is I do a lot of damage.

On the topic of dealing with melee, Devs have it right. I do struggle a lot with melee on me. If a guardian/juggernaut in vigilance/vengeance spec jumps on me, I die instantly guaranteed. It would be a good idea to give an ability that gives us immunity to all controlling affects briefly on cooldown; much like the unremitting/unstoppable does for Guards/Jugs.

Still in BM gear so I'll see how it goes once I get that WH set on been matching the big boys today just been switching targets earlier so I'm already hitting the target before everyone else leaps on. Still wish Grav would hit when it lands not a second later. Still not really seeing the escape issues though although I wouldn't say no to a stun grenade type ability and a commando passive that increases cryo back to 30m or at least max knock back range. By the time we cryo and then KB we have lost a couple of seconds of the stun so it would be better as it was and KB then Stun.

Still in BM gear so I'll see how it goes once I get that WH set on been matching the big boys today just been switching targets earlier so I'm already hitting the target before everyone else leaps on. Still wish Grav would hit when it lands not a second later. Still not really seeing the escape issues though although I wouldn't say no to a stun grenade type ability and a commando passive that increases cryo back to 30m or at least max knock back range. By the time we cryo and then KB we have lost a couple of seconds of the stun so it would be better as it was and KB then Stun.

He is assault not gunnery. Won't matter in WH either unless you respec assault...even then you would be the red headed step child to Vanguard assault.

As someone else said already, help us to help you. As far as PvP goes, the best PvP'rs in this game know how to play it better than the Devs do, and they know how to make it better also.

No offense BW, but the man is right.

Admittedly, you have better things to do than play a Merc/Comm, as you also are adding content regularly, fixing bugs, and everything else needed to keep this game alive.

Much more reason for us to help you; you have a loyal PvP base who want a more competitive game. A more competitive game does not mean 'easy for everyone except [insert class here].' We want Mercs and Commandos in all brackets to put up a decent fight, on par with everyone else. Currently they do not, because their kit does not permit them to.

Please heed the critiques you see here! A commando/merc is an easy kill; they rely on casts (something you rarely want to do in PvP), have no escape mechanisms (you acknowledged it, but all the acknowledgement in the world isn't helping comm/mercs put up a decent fight in-game...), and provide zero utility. As far as I've seen, they're only dangerous if ignored. Given that they're a class capable of healing, you can likely guess how frequently they are ignored. (I'll give you a hint: it's between 0% and an imaginary percentage.)

I realize I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said earlier in this thread. But pushing it off isn't helping PvP, or players that love to PvP, and therefore not helping you. From a player's perspective, I think it's safe to say that this is a class imbalance that would be better off resolved.

From a player's perspective, I think it's safe to say that this is a class imbalance that would be better off resolved.

The entire player base understands this. BW does not. BW continues to believe that Merc dps is overpowered because their meta average statistics tell them so. Until BW jettisons their reliance on ingame collected stats to drive class (im)balance, nothing constructive is going to happen. We are now 3 days away from 1.6 - does anyone here believe that any benefits to Merc dps will be in that patch? The irony would be if BW slipped in a change to Mercs in 1.6 at the last moment. With no testing on PTS, no feedback from the community, and probably some bug that nerfs Mercs. Don't laugh, its happened before...