Why don't people want to do stuff!?

MasterMizrahi

Why doesn't anyone wasnt to do anything in this game? I spent 2 years server hopping looking for a server where people actually do stuff! Every server I went to where I tried to run an operation, a flashpoint, or even group pvp, people reacted like I had ten heads. About after a month I was on almost everyone's ignore list and I don't spam chat. No wonder this game is dying!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the server you go to. Harbinger I heard is good for pickup groups. Some servers, like Ebon Hawk, are more guild and friend oriented and a lot of them do not do group pickups. So it would depend on the server and what you are looking for.

As far as being put on ignore I have yet to see anyone being put on ignore for asking about group activities unless it is the way you are coming across or the way you are asking.

Note: Yelling or telling people they are stupid, etc for not doing the group activities a person wants is one way of being put on ignore, and no I am not saying you are doing that, just that is the way I know a person could be put on ignore when asking about group activities.

I'm on three different raid teams, for four scheduled raids per week (one about to get out of SM, the other three raids are HM). My guild also regularly puts together SM op speedruns for my guildies and friends, and 16-man operations, and World Boss hunts (Priority Targets weekly + a few extra if we feel like it) plus commander runs (up to 8 commanders, named or otherwise). That's just what I do every week. I'm not into PvP, but a lot of my guildies are, and also run a lot of warzones together.

Sounds like you just need to find a good guild - or at the very least join a good community (one of my HM raid teams has eight people from like four different guilds, we're all just friends that ran a lot of stuff together and formalised it). Week before last, another guild beat us to the Commanders (much to my annoyance), and many's the time we've come upon an unspawned World Boss, so we're not exactly alone in doing this stuff.

TL;DR: Make friends. Pugs suck.

Why doesn't anyone wasnt to do anything in this game? I spent 2 years server hopping looking for a server where people actually do stuff! Every server I went to where I tried to run an operation, a flashpoint, or even group pvp, people reacted like I had ten heads. About after a month I was on almost everyone's ignore list and I don't spam chat. No wonder this game is dying!

It depends on who you group with. Yes. If you PUG (pick up group, just randomly respond to LFG general chat call outs), you are likely going to get the gutter trash of people or people who stand in stupid and then complain that the healers aren't doing their job.

If you are on one of the more populated servers, shop around for a good, active guild and do stuff that you want to do.

If you are pugging, you could also be grouping with people who rage quit if they don't just waltz through an op or FP and spacebar completely through the cut scenes.

Their argument typically is "I've done this FP or op a million times in the last 5-6 years. I don't want to spend anymore time in it than I have to", "This Op/FP is 5 years old. you should know it by now!", or something along those lines. To a degree, they might have a leg to stand on. But, if what you're doing in game isn't fun, then don't do it. It's a game, not a 2nd job.

I don't think some people understand that this is a game, a leisure activity, something you should enjoy doing, not another job.

But whatever.

Seriously, shop around for a good guild that wants to do and enjoy doing group content. That's your best bet.

Well, personally I have a visual disability. I can see well enough to play PVE but the chat window is not a great communication option for me. I have the font pretty big and can read it, but it's still difficult. Because of that I limit my group stuff to friends who I can chat with on skype and who know my limitations.

Also, the sad fact is there are a lot of people who can be super rude if you haven't made a life out of understanding every mechanic of the game. I'd say most people are very nice and try to be patient, but it only takes one jerk to ruin the experience for an entire group. So I just prefer to run with people I know.

Edited by DuchessKristania

It depends on who you group with. Yes. If you PUG (pick up group, just randomly respond to LFG general chat call outs), you are likely going to get the gutter trash of people or people who stand in stupid and then complain that the healers aren't doing their job.

If you are on one of the more populated servers, shop around for a good, active guild and do stuff that you want to do.

If you are pugging, you could also be grouping with people who rage quit if they don't just waltz through an op or FP and spacebar completely through the cut scenes.

Their argument typically is "I've done this FP or op a million times in the last 5-6 years. I don't want to spend anymore time in it than I have to", "This Op/FP is 5 years old. you should know it by now!", or something along those lines. To a degree, they might have a leg to stand on. But, if what you're doing in game isn't fun, then don't do it. It's a game, not a 2nd job.

I don't think some people understand that this is a game, a leisure activity, something you should enjoy doing, not another job.

But whatever.

Seriously, shop around for a good guild that wants to do and enjoy doing group content. That's your best bet.

This is exactly why I don't do group content anymore. I got asked a couple of times back when you actually needed a group to do FPs and joined up. I had never done them before, and a couple of them were jerks about me wanting to listen to the mission and figure out what I was suppose to do. I finished them, but after the second or third time, I decided to not do group content anymore. As you say, its suppose to be fun and having some jerk tell you "space bar is your friend" 80 times gets annoying and is a real turn off. Now, since I haven't done a lot of group play, I don't even try to join up, even with a guild because I don't want to be the one who makes us lose. I'd like to try WBs and stuff, but I don' t know if I could and I wouldn't want to hurt the rest of them.

my situation is not at all unique, but i tend to do things solo simply because i have a bunch that i want to accomplish in my limited time i have to play. i am trying to change that, though. i can be extremely asocial which is mostly a learned response from years playing not only here, but in other games. at one point, i realy enjoyed healing and, i thought, i was pretty good at performing. then i get in a series of bad pugs day after day for weeks and begin to change my toons from tank/healers to DPS.

this past weekend was really the first time i did a FP outside of story mode and, tried, in earnest, PvP. got smacked down a few times in PvP because i am just really outside of my element now with that. strange as i used to PvP a lot several years ago and it was actually my main source of leveling and income for a long time. The three flashpoints i did (HS, BP, and the Umbraa train one) went fairly well, but i have to remember boss mechanics.

im doing it again, but to actually answer your question: people have migrated to a different play style over the last few years and tend to stick with people that they have come up with (so to speak). Find a guild that you might be able to join. suggestion on that, run a bunch of pug PvP and Flashpoints. take note of guild names. ignore the ******s and jot down the names of those that seem to be friendly. its a good chance if you run across a few friendly folks with the same guild tag that the rest of their guild will be similar.

on my own front, i am attempting to break my asocial habits i built up over the last few years and attempt to get back into the game with a guild. however, it will need to be one that wont boot me if i dont log on for a few weeks at a time; or if im a bit quiet more so than not (and the opposite...like today...im a typing madhouse in threads).

overall: continue to be courteous and friendly. and keep an eye out for like minded folks. dont come on too strong or send random group invites. and dont go on a tirade if folks are less than hospitable. this weekend i got chewed out in a pug pvp arena. i was cordial, apologized for my lack of skill (which he was right, of course), and did a flash point instead of pvp in the hopes i wouldnt run across him again. i dont like using ignore often...unless you start jawa chats....then ignore.

This is exactly why I don't do group content anymore. I got asked a couple of times back when you actually needed a group to do FPs and joined up. I had never done them before, and a couple of them were jerks about me wanting to listen to the mission and figure out what I was suppose to do. I finished them, but after the second or third time, I decided to not do group content anymore. As you say, its suppose to be fun and having some jerk tell you "space bar is your friend" 80 times gets annoying and is a real turn off. Now, since I haven't done a lot of group play, I don't even try to join up, even with a guild because I don't want to be the one who makes us lose. I'd like to try WBs and stuff, but I don' t know if I could and I wouldn't want to hurt the rest of them.

It all depends on the players in your guild. There are some who are more than willing to wait for new players (or players new to certain content) to experience the story/cutscenes, especially if they know ahead of time that there are people who haven't seen them before. Several of the guildies I've grouped with regularly will speed run everything unless a newer member is along, in which case they'll ask if they want to watch cutscenes, tackle bonuses, etc. They encourage other players to take their time and enjoy the content. I've also pugged and gotten the jerks who are ordering people to spacebar even though everyone is already hitting the spacebar, so yes, I do understand how annoying/frustrating that experience can be.

Well, personally I have a visual disability. I can see well enough to play PVE but the chat window is not a great communication option for me. I have the font pretty big and can read it, but it's still difficult. Because of that I limit my group stuff to friends who I can chat with on skype and who know my limitations.

Also, the sad fact is there are a lot of people who can be super rude if you haven't made a life out of understanding every mechanic of the game. I'd say most people are very nice and try to be patient, but it only takes one jerk to ruin the experience for an entire group. So I just prefer to run with people I know.

^^^^ This, except in my case it's my hearing and the preponderance of people who INSIST on TS or the like has led to my just not bothering. Also a bit...erm...elderly and my reflexes aren't what they were along with a bit of arthritis. IOW, I don't want to inflict myself on others. There are some folk who don't mind but I am slower and also a "ditherer" (I like to read the dialogs, look at the scenery, poke around which, understandably, drives many nuts).

I love to do stuff, just not annoy others with HOW I do stuff. :)

A while back someone showed up on fleet during the wee morning hours when the total number of players showing on fleet was 38. They went around and sent a blind group invite to me and a guildie, with whom I was chatting. A few minutes later they announced in general chat that they'd invited everyone on fleet and not one person had grouped with them. They then became insulting in their language because of our refusal to group. Another player pointed out blind invites are considered rude, and an argument ensued over that while the individual continued to make insulting comments towards everyone on fleet as a whole. The incident made me not want to group with that person, ever, despite the fact I'd never seen them before that night, so they went on my ignore list.

While I can't speak for the other players on fleet, I know that my guildie and I were having a discussion about guild business before both of us logged off to go to sleep. However, or refusal to group with that person does not mean we don't want to do stuff. We do stuff all the time, we just weren't looking to do anything at that particular moment. Ultimately, there are lots of players wanting to do stuff, it just comes down to timing, and how they are approached. This is why, as others have said, finding a good guild can really help facilitate group activities.

I'm very sorry you had that experience.

Some years ago, I was in a group for one of the Revan FPs. I was the healer. The tank was just running through everything and wasn't waiting for the rest of us to catch up and was yelling at the rest of the group keep up and that we were too slow. One of the DPS was frustrated because they really wanted to take their time and do a full clear of the FP. I offered to walk them through a slowed down, full clear, but they politely declined.

I felt bad for that guy because if it's your first time running through one of those FPs, it's terrible to be rushed through it. the Revan FPs are pretty much the continuation of where KOTOR 1 & 2 left off, and it's a shame to have to rush through the conclusion of all that.

Sometimes its a simply matter of being in the right channel. Allies is a channel on Ebon Hawk that works ok at forming up groups for OPs and such. Its not what it once was but still you can join up usually on a run eventually and that might give you a chance to meet a guild that you fit in well with. Just a thought.

Sometimes its a simply matter of being in the right channel. Allies is a channel on Ebon Hawk that works ok at forming up groups for OPs and such. Its not what it once was but still you can join up usually on a run eventually and that might give you a chance to meet a guild that you fit in well with. Just a thought.

I thought that was just a channel for hatin' on P***e :D

... Also a bit...erm...elderly and my reflexes aren't what they were along with a bit of arthritis.

/shakes lightcane at kids on hyperlawn. "Stay outta my holocherry tree! Dang younglings and their reflexes and Xantha music..."

:p

This really hit home for me during GSF early access.

Edited by docbenwayddo

One major reason for me is ... I have a full time job now. I don't have a lot of time to wait for people and chat despite having a want to do so. I'm pretty tired and don't want to deal with people after a long day from work and commuting. I'm already pretty asocial when it comes with people. Interacting via forums is ok, but previous experience on swtor gen chat as well as other mmos, can get so toxic and unwelcoming that I don't even have the energy to want to deal with it.

I realize finding a great guild would alleviate the social aspects and interactions, but like I mentioned, life can get in the way.

But when I do group, I try to be friendly and understanding as possible. Some people just don't.

Edited by Ioue
grammar

/shakes lightcane at kids on hyperlawn. "Stay outta my holocherry tree! Dang younglings and their reflexes and Xantha music..."

This really hit home for me during GSF early access.

I tried GSF a couple times. I was so horrible and was laughing so hard I just gave it up. It was like: Don't these damn things have training wings or something?

I thought that was just a channel for hatin' on P***e :D

Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is productive. I have noticed a real drop in chat in it over the last month or two, and it is getting harder to use it to get an op together but if you are determined you still can.

Part of the issue is that with a few exceptions all the group content is so old it makes your eyes bleed to do it again.

I found a guild that runs things that fit into my schedule. Working full time and owning a business means I have limited access time. I found a great guild that does stuff on the weekends when I have play time availability which is great.. Because honestly I hate pugs. Edited by Tahana