Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

Some of us really care about our character names, i think a forced server merge would upset a lot of people. Its werid our entire guild has basically voted to stay on our server simply becuase we are not willing to loose our character names, even if it ends up being just us.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Letting people go where they want would be unlikely to fix the problem of dead servers. The point of targeted transfers is to balance the population. If you want a say as to where you go besides a not dead server, you will most likely have to pay for it a later date. Which is not unreasonable.

Actually I think it would.

I understand the thinking behind what they have done, however Bioware failed to appreciate that while allowing people to migrate to where they wished wasn't ideal for them initially it was absolutely required by their customers.

Overpopulation on some servers initially would have been unavoidable, however with choice people would sort that themselves, the current system completely ignores those that have rerolled several time already on different servers, have no intention or wish to do so again, and wish to combine their characters in a active enviroment and continue to play.

Bioware took away peoples choice and a purveyor of a product that caters for the manufacturer not its clients isn't going to be in business too long.

It's this complete lack of understanding of peoples aspirations and how they interact with a design good and bad, that mark a good engineer and designer, something that has been very lacking in many of the elements of this game.

But as I've said ulitmately transfers are a fudge fix for a fundemtal design flaw regarding the enviroment and the layout of the servers to support it, there's many MMO's that have enviroments with far far more concurrent connections and the tech to support them has been available for many years.

A great deal of effort needs to be put into the nuts and bolts of the underlying framework, that improves the very most basic elements of the game if there's going to be any long term improvement not just throwing out fluff content patches, or fudging new game systems in a attempt to bypass poor elements of the design, where its those elements themselves that require re-engineering and design to move things forward long term, more often than not they appear to require far more work but in the long term far far less.

Otherwise you end up constantly fire stomping.

This game needs to stop being a Single player game with Multiplayer trying to be a MMO, and start being a MMO that's trying to be a MMO, with a Savy Dev team and resources to take it there.

Edited by Hawk-Firestorm

Some of us really care about our character names, i think a forced server merge would upset a lot of people. Its werid our entire guild has basically voted to stay on our server simply becuase we are not willing to loose our character names, even if it ends up being just us.

I'm almost in the same boat mate. Lots of my guildies wanna transfer so that they can change thier names due to name aggro in PvP but I dont wanna change mine. I secured mine pretty much on day -7 from launch during early access and now I am going to lose them EVEN if they were taken only a week before moves...

Why are you guys worried about names? I just want to be able to pvp or get a grp together for a FP jeez.

ah yeah a flashpoint group.... i swear the last time i put up a looking for group in trade... i got the echo back and tried to whisper myself :o Akwardddddddd

I understand the thinking behind what they have done, however Bioware failed to appreciate that while allowing people to migrate to where they wished wasn't ideal for them initially it was absolutely required by their customers.

Overpopulation on some servers initially would have been unavoidable, however with choice people would sort that themselves, the current system completely ignores those that have rerolled several time already on different servers, have no intention or wish to do so again, and wish to combine their characters in a active enviroment and continue to play.

Bioware took away peoples choice and a purveyor of a product that caters for the manufacturer not its clients isn't going to be in business too long.

It's this complete lack of understanding of peoples aspirations and how they interact with a design good and bad, that mark a good engineer and designer, something that has been very lacking in many of the elements of this game.

But as I've said ulitmately transfers are a fudge fix for a fundemtal design flaw regarding the enviroment and the layout of the servers to support it, there's many MMO's that have enviroments with far far more concurrent connections and the tech to support them has been available for many years.

A great deal of effort needs to be put into the nuts and bolts of the underlying framework, that improves the very most basic elements of the game if there's going to be any long term improvement not just throwing out fluff content patches, or fudging new game systems in a attempt to bypass poor elements of the design, where its those elements themselves that require re-engineering and design to move things forward long term, more often than not they appear to require far more work but in the long term far far less.

Otherwise you end up constantly fire stomping.

This game needs to stop being a Single player game with Multiplayer trying to be a MMO, and start being a MMO that's trying to be a MMO, with a Savy Dev team and resources to take it there.

i gotta say well said and writin , specially the last paragragh..:):)

Why is it required? I don't care what server I go to as long as I can find a group for things, not have 10 people on fleet at peak times. And I hardly think it would sort itself out on its own by players having the choice where to go. Most consumers are reactionary short sighted fools, and would constantly be server hoping looking for the right one. Everyone would end up on Fatman/Jedi Cov and the couple other high pop servers, until they had to start dealing with hour queue times, then theyd all transfer again to whatever the new perceived good server was until the exact same thing happened there, and so on. Giving your customers free reign to choose how they want things sounds good in theory, but in practice it leads to them getting more pissed off in the long run when their stupid decisions lead to more headaches and they complain that the company isnt doing enough to fix it.

Please...

You should of made a free weekend of "transfer whatever you want for 48 hours, then we'll only allow certain low pop server transfers after that"

You want to transfer your Smuggler from Corellian Run to another Server but since both servers you're on are in the top 10 servers for pop, then you are pretty much screwed for a free transfer. So much for letting me select a new server to join my friends to have FUN playing SWTOR.

Well as of today I Unsubbed, it actually hurt me to do it as I love this game, the story , the characters but I'm on the "Lord Calypho" RP-PVP server and there are 10 people on fleet at the minute. As far as the guild goes all have unsubbed aswell.

What was the point in BW starting with so many servers only to spread the pop of gamers over them all ? made no sense fill what you have and then open more. I didnt mind having to wait 10-20mins to log in during early release, at least then I knew that the server would be rocking !

The population problem on Lord Calypho has absolutely nothing to do with BW opening too many servers. Its the only english language RP-PvP server in the EU. The problem is that not enough players want to play on an RP-PvP server, if they did they all the english speaking EU players would be there as they don't have another server to choose.

Why is it required? I don't care what server I go to as long as I can find a group for things, not have 10 people on fleet at peak times. And I hardly think it would sort itself out on its own by players having the choice where to go. Most consumers are reactionary short sighted fools, and would constantly be server hoping looking for the right one. Everyone would end up on Fatman/Jedi Cov and the couple other high pop servers, until they had to start dealing with hour queue times, then theyd all transfer again to whatever the new perceived good server was until the exact same thing happened there, and so on. Giving your customers free reign to choose how they want things sounds good in theory, but in practice it leads to them getting more pissed off in the long run when their stupid decisions lead to more headaches and they complain that the company isnt doing enough to fix it.

Execpt in games where free reign was allowed it didn't turn out anything like what you have saying. Sure there were a few people who did go to the percieved highest server but most peoplr tested out communities and then settled down.

Everything appears to be going well to me. People waited months for transfers, waiting another few days shouldn't be that bad.

I remember the rageposting that went on when they staggered the launch. Much of this seems like the same sort of rageposting, soon to be forgotten once everything settles down.

What is the goal number of players per server that is being sought? I mean, merging one low population server with another low population server really doesn't do much. Are we going to see more than one server merged with these character transfers to a single server to up the populations to a level that is going to maintain customer and player support? Or, are we going to have to suffer another round of mergers in a few weeks because this did not work?

I am not annoyed about the fact i might have to change my name, i am not annoyed that i will have to sort out the guild.

I am annoyed by the way they have executed these transfers. To begin, only 9 eu servers are available, and if you browse the forum and talk to people who were eligible, they will tell you the process was EXTREMELY quick.

(Red flag number 1 up)

The server choices are low-med instead of low, this is because they wanted to test the system on servers that still had fair amounts of PC's, so they could see strain easier than if they tested on ghost towns.

(Red flag number 2)

However, this leaves players like me stuck on our ghost town (ula vii is OFFICIALLY the least pop server eu side)

Not only that, but they are really not giving us any slack, i understand not being able to release destination server names, but our server is so dead it will not be one of those. Why cant they just give me hope and tell me ula vii will be eligible for transfer at some point?

It is also fairly obvious by the speed of the transfers that they underwhelmed their own system again.

A post on the forum actually says one of his transfers only took 5 mins max. So imo they should have started with more servers anyway. Still, i sit here all alone on corellia, wondering if i ever will see pvp again........

Edited by kyewebb
Bad number

What is the goal number of players per server that is being sought? I mean, merging one low population server with another low population server really doesn't do much. Are we going to see more than one server merged with these character transfers to a single server to up the populations to a level that is going to maintain customer and player support? Or, are we going to have to suffer another round of mergers in a few weeks because this did not work?

We don't know the numbers for sure but its probably towards the top end of Heavy at prime time (need to leave some space for anyone who resubs and transfers). They have said they will merge multiple low pop servers to another low pop server, the aim being to build it up to Heavy..

Why cant they just give me hope and tell me ula vii will be eligible for transfer at some point?

They did tell you that, all the PvE and PvP servers will be either origin or destination servers in this phase. The only exceptions are the RP servers as they don't have that many candidates to merge with. They will likely be adressed in a later phase of transfers.

I have a feeling that today we will have allot transfers. Lets wait and see. The way there are doing things we will not be in a server to full or to empty. And at the same time wont be waiting 1 or 2 days for my char to transfer. Let them do in a organize way guys ;)