A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PoliteAssasin

Yeah yeah mate, you got it right !! damn we just revealed the truth, wee doomed !

This guy, coming from nowhere, just came as a savior and saved us all guys !!!

Several thread about the same "repair cost issue", hundreds of people reporting the same problem base don their own experience, hundreds of pages, dozens of subs cancelled... but we are all wrong, there is not problem at all.

We can no all resubs and have fun again :)

Thanks man !!! we all own you one !!!

Now please take you mouse and go grind all daylies and leave us alone.

If 2 or 3 guys report a problem and you don't experience it..ok they may be wrong.

But if dozens and dozens report the same problem and you still don't experience it... well feel lucky and don't come here to claim that they're all wrong.

@PoliteAssasin

Yeah yeah mate, you got it right !! damn we just revealed the truth, wee doomed !

This guy, coming from nowhere, just came as a savior and saved us all guys !!!

Several thread about the same "repair cost issue", hundreds of people reporting the same problem base don their own experience, hundreds of pages, dozens of subs cancelled... but we are all wrong, there is not problem at all.

We can no all resubs and have fun again :)

Thanks man !!! we all own you one !!!

Now please take you mouse and go grind all daylies and leave us alone.

If 2 or 3 guys report a problem and you don't experience it..ok they may be wrong.

But if dozens and dozens report the same problem and you still don't experience it... well feel lucky and don't come here to claim that they're all wrong.

Why thank you. Now someone else is talking sense. This guy understands it was a bug fix and everyone will be paying an equal amount for repair bills. I applaud you, and tip my shades in your direction good sir! :cool:

Holy crap, I just figured it all out.

The armoring, mod, or enhancement never needs to be repaired, just the shell.

This is nothing more than BW's attempt to get us to buy more cartel market and orange shells while leveling. Run your gear down to the red, then rip the mods out and slot 'em into new gear. Even with cost of ripping, it's still cheaper than repairs ...

Well played, BW. Well played.

(removes tongue from cheek)

Why thank you. Now someone else is talking sense. This guy understands it was a bug fix and everyone will be paying an equal amount for repair bills. I applaud you, and tip my shades in your direction good sir! :cool:

Uh hum. I hope you realize you are speaking out of ignorance.

Everyone will not be paying an equal amount for repair bills. The primary increase in repair cost is a function of how much your gear sells for to an in-game vendor. So people who rip out their mods and place it in pvp gear will have a significantly lower repair cost. Approximately 100% lower. People who have cartel armor will pay significantly more in repair costs than those in orange gear. See the thread below. Facts are difficult to accept it seems.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=598636

The problem with increasing repair costs to drain credits from the economy is that it does not affect all players equally, and is a cost that cannot be avoided. It affects players that enjoy Ops the most, while affecting players that mostly PvP not at all. Also, people that play high-level ops cannot avoid repair costs -- you are going to wipe while learning hard mode ops, and wipe a lot. I pity the fools now trying to progress in hardmode EC where the credit drops are nil and all credits have to come from out-of-ops activities (like boring dailies!!!!!). At least in TFB the increased credit drops offsets some of the repair costs.

Pre-Cartel market, if Bioware wanted to drain credits from the economy, all they had to do was put up some unique items (like a white crystal), put outrageous prices on them, and then watch people voluntarily throw their credits away with little to no complaints. Now, with the cartel-market, Bioware wants people to spend real money on these same items and so draining credits this way is no longer very viable.

Bioware -- you need to be more creative at your credit-draining strategy than just by doubling or tripling repair costs (yes, I know it was a "Bug Fix" but it does not seem to have gone as intended). Come up with a way to drain credits that is voluntary, and that has the chance of affecting all players equally.

You have also tainted the 1.7 content -- instead remembering it as the day the Gree returned, people will remember it for the increased repair costs.

This is nothing more than BW's attempt to get us to buy more cartel market and orange shells while leveling. Run your gear down to the red, then rip the mods out and slot 'em into new gear. Even with cost of ripping, it's still cheaper than repairs ...

The "while leveling" part is importance since most 50s are augmented.

Also interesting factoid:

IT COSTS MORE TO REPAIR ADAPTIVE CM GEAR THAN CUSTOM CRAFTED GEAR!!!

IT COSTS MORE TO REPAIR ADAPTIVE CM GEAR THAN CUSTOM CRAFTED GEAR!!!

Spread the word people and soon BW will revert the change merely because it's costing them CM sales.

Had a 73k repair bill after 5 attempts at hardmode Xeno boss on my campaign geared gunslinger. Had a 17k repair bill on my campaign geared scoundrel after only 2 attempts on Kephess doing hardmode explosive conflict. TFB is the only operations that kind of even outs the repair costs, but not if you spend many weeks trying to learn certain boss fights, After spending 2 hours trying to get the Terror down, the creds you get early on in TFB don't account for much. I barely have 100k on most of my toons because I can't spend all day doing dailies. That used to be enough to get through an operation with several wipes. The Operations are the only content I do now, if I can't do them I have no reason to sub.

Logged onto my level 32 Jedi Guardian I hadn't played in a while and I knew had repairs needed. I had one piece of gear at 20%, and the rest was between 25 and 55, my repair bill was 33k. That is far too high, and further proof that playing a tanking character is no longer worth the trouble until this is fixed.

makes sense

Nothing from Bioware on this issue in 3 days I see. They'll respond after I say at least 50% of the players cancel.

I think this is a huge cause for concern, above and beyond the bug itself. Over a week since the bug went live and nothing from the Devs? Not even a word about regularly-scheduled weekly maintenance?

Is anyone even working there anymore?

Maybe all the Devs decided to take the same cruise that ended up stranded in the Yucatan Peninsula? Maybe they need gas money to get home? :eek:

I think someone who posted earlier had it right; the longer it takes them to respond, the worse the news is going to be...

Doing the Ilum dailies and OPS has just become a very painfull investment of time AND BLOODY CREDITSSSSSSSS. Lost in one day alone 300K! That's more than doing all the dailies combined!

It's not even worth doing anything anymore besides grinding those dailies, with prices for high lvl items( barrels, mods, armoring, enhancements, etc..) you might as well go back f2p and pay some kid the same money you used for sub to do your dailies untill you feel like playing again. Even with the Guild Bank it's easy to store it there as f2p.

I hope they'll compensate this otherwise, screw this and bye bye another subscriber.

Any news on this would be greatfull, but one thing i do have to say to BW/EA is....PTS would have solved this way before this blatant huge BUG, i swear with the amount of bugs in this game it should be renamed Starship troopers online.

I love the reference!

Yeah, I wonder when they will get around to fixing some of the things that have been broken since day one and never fixed...

Doing the Ilum dailies and OPS has just become a very painfull investment of time AND BLOODY CREDITSSSSSSSS. Lost in one day alone 300K! That's more than doing all the dailies combined!

It's not even worth doing anything anymore besides grinding those dailies, with prices for high lvl items( barrels, mods, armoring, enhancements, etc..) you might as well go back f2p and pay some kid the same money you used for sub to do your dailies untill you feel like playing again. Even with the Guild Bank it's easy to store it there as f2p.

I hope they'll compensate this otherwise, screw this and bye bye another subscriber.

You've got me confused. You're willing to spend 1m+ credits to buy one enhancement/mod but you're not willing to spend 300k in an attempt to down a boss and get a piece of gear with an enhancement/armor/mod of equivalent level? Strange logic.

Why give us the ability to put end game mods etc into any custom level gear so we can all create our own appearance if you are then going to penalise in the form of repairs based on the shells we like the look of?

Repairs should be consistent based on modifications only, not the shells.

I'm on the same page as many. I have limited time to play this game which I devote mostly to raiding, with a single planets dailies run er week to fill the credit gap if necessary. Thanks to TFB actually dropping a decent credit pile, my need to do dailies had dropped even more which was a pleasant surprise that came with the addition of that instance.

Please either drop loot in ops that should cover a reasonable amount of repairs or reduce the repair costs again. I cannot maintain my raid calendar with a dailies calendar on top. Not only do I not have the time to grind but also don't consider this fun...

Yesterday was the 1st day since I resubbed 2 months ago when I wasn't able to do a fp hm daily via group finder, waited for about 1,5 hours, and that's about as much as I can spare on a game on most days.

I think people who defend these repair costs simply underestimate the impact of casual gamers on the game. Yup, I bet its not a problem to grind a few hours more for dedicated players, but some of us have no time nor the will to do it. I understand that some content and rewards should require extensive time and effort, thus I'll probably never get a dread guard set for any of my toons, but recent changes limit my ability to do most of the endgame (hm fp and sm ops), which is really not good for everyone, even dedicated players who still depend on the total game population.

Edited by Irxyyy

I think people who defend these repair costs simply underestimate the impact of casual gamers on the game.

I agree. I think I understand why some people here are defending the modified costs, but so far I haven't seen any new people/ casual players voice their opinion in support of this change. I think that is pretty indicative of how it is being received in general. For casual players, the game is simply less accessible. I consider myself a casual player; SWTOR is my first MMO. They never appealed to me, partially because almost none of my friends play video/computer games, and partially because I had the notion that MMOs are inevitably grind-based if you want to be competitive. I'm nearing the end of my two-month subscription, and I was on the fence about renewing. Perhaps my biggest gripes are that I feel like I am either being pushed to buy cartel coins (I DID get the $10 pack, now I feel stupid) or being pushed to grind. And in my opinion the game's story (while enjoyable) isn't good enough by itself to justify the money I paid for it. In order for to stay the game needs to be more accessible to me. These repair costs are designed for savvy and dedicated players; the time commitment and learning curve are too severe for casual players to really take part in the game. And while most of the people I've talked to in game are pretty cool cats, there are enough people that are intolerant of new and inexperienced players to make the game less accessible.

I don't think this breaks the game, but the cost of this change is players' time and the attitude toward newer players. Time learning to make credits more effectively, and then doing it- again and again and again. I've seen some here say the game just throws credits at you and that people need to just need to stop dinking around and start grabbing it. Fair enough. But it is a significant time investment nonetheless. Either becoming a worthwhile crafter, endlessly repeating daily missions, etc. And understandably, in regards to repair costs, players don't want to foot a hefty bill for others' mistakes. While I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed much of SWTOR, and $15/mo isn't much money, it still isn't accessible enough for me to personally justify paying for it; the portions I enjoy are too diluted with activities I find repetitive, boring, and now punishing. Now I feel like the rift between veteran players and casual players is just going to get bigger. I don't know how to make a perfect MMO (too accessible and you alienate veteran players, too steep a learning curve/time investment and you scare away casual players), but I feel like this fix was a step in the wrong direction. Also, I'm probably just not cut out for MMOs ;) (I can just hear people telling me how much SWTOR holds my hand now compared to beta/such-and-such other mmo)

SOLUTION: Put them all at less values close to what the bugged amount was. Regardless of how they used to be (YES i do remember last year :rolleyes:) high repair costs are rediculous and shouldn't be part of the obstacle of overcoming end game content. THE CONTENT should be the obstacle.

You've got me confused. You're willing to spend 1m+ credits to buy one enhancement/mod but you're not willing to spend 300k in an attempt to down a boss and get a piece of gear with an enhancement/armor/mod of equivalent level? Strange logic.

You failed to take into account the 1 in 8 chance he has to get said item once it drops, if it drops.

So a tiny response 3 days ago from our ever present Community Ignorer sorry Manager- , then DEFENING SILENCE.

If I performed my job to the same standards that he does I'd have been out of a job already.

Not that I'm surprised though. All previuos promises to interact more have all turned out to be empty words.

Meanwhile those that continue to play are sinking their credits into repairs. At least that part of your plan BW is working as intended.