Light or Dark?

Pernzilla

I don't know if any of you are having difficulty with this but I'm having a hard time trying to pick which side of the force my character should roll on...

I guess I'm just having trouble being a Bounty Hunter for the Empire and being light side :p.

Anyway, what side did you guys go with? Specific reasons?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nice thing about being a Bounty Hunter is you aren't officially associated with the Empire, you just do some work for them here and there so you aren't expected to adopt their ideals or lifestyle. You can live to whatever standards you see fit and shouldn't feel obligated to appease the Empire any more than they are willing to pay you for.

I end up more dark though, but mostly because I don't generally like the targets I'm sent after. I have been known to let a few disappear off planet though if they aren't complete tools.

I don't go for a side, I just pick what I feel fits natural for my character, or myself.

Me too.

My BH is a professional killer, not a madman.

He tends to take the targets in alive where possible (unless under specific orders) and doesn't see the need to kill everyone he pumps for info, etc (unless he feels they actually deserve it).

As such he seems to be drifting towards LS, but has well over 600 DS points dragging it down too.

Farming flashpoints has skewed the results towards LS though I think.

I'm picking light. My inquisitor will be dark. Oddly enough, the game allows you to kill people for profit without any change (the entire class quest line). The only time you have to worry about light/dark is on specific dialogue options so I am custom tailoring that part for my own less than nefarious purposes.

The thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't affect just the story, but the crystals that you can drop into your blasters. So, from a purely what I'll get to use and what I won't if I go light vs dark, what do you guys think? Or has anyone had enough playing time to build their faction one way or another (or manage to leave it neutral, even after numerous quests) to say "Cool I get to use that crystal or ooooo I can't use that crystal. Any thoughts on this from a non-purely story objective?

I tend to think of this way, Bounty Hunters are proprietors of their own selves. They hold contracts for whatever is placed out before them and they must fulfill it. I find it silly that we have dark/light choices because a "true" Bounty Hunter fulfills the contract and finishes the deed. If you are to kill someone and paid to do it, you do it. No questions asked. However, sometimes they end up as Dark points just for finishing the contract.

On the other hand, we are nothing but greedy bastards who want nothing but credits. This is where the NPCs will try to "buy" us out in order to do otherwise. Either that or express their sorrow trying to make you feel bad.

Heck, a contract's a contract. But a Bounty Hunter with a conscience? Now that's role playing.

Just go with whatever feels more comfortable to you. Bounty Hunters are technically neutral anyway, I've even heard my character outright say "I'm not Imperial" in the game so I wouldn't let that keep you away from choosing the Light Side if that's how you want to play. I've always enjoyed helping people more than killing them so I've been playing on the Light Side. It kinda adds to the whole bad-***-independent-do what ever you want attitude that Bounty Hunters have :)

I have a soft spot and if Meeko is around (which she's often not when we're not in a fighting situation) I will try to please her. Keeping her happy is part of his fluffy side... :)

I'll kill and will take the job of the highest bidder but sometimes, someone can convince me to just be a plain ol'nice guy. Bounty Hunter is really interesting for this single aspect of the game... you're sailing in the grey areas between light and darkside. If you've followed the Clone Wars series, you'll notice how Boba Fett is not really evil at first... :)

I don't go for a side, I just pick what I feel fits natural for my character, or myself

This

I follow specific rules on my BH. Whether they turn out LS or DS depends on the situation I'm in, but as of not I'm Light I

1. Always be pleasant to your employer

2. Never kill unless it's in the contract or in self defense

3. Always fill the contract as specified unless the moral weight of an alternate option justifies a last-minute change

This

I follow specific rules on my BH. Whether they turn out LS or DS depends on the situation I'm in, but as of not I'm Light I

3. Always fill the contract as specified unless the moral weight of an alternate option justifies a last-minute change

Aye, I agree. Its more of fulfilling the contract that choosing between Light or Dark.

My BH currently is almost exactly at 0. Equal amount of Light and Dark. I always pictured Bounty Hunters of being Neutral anyhow (same with smugglers). The empire tended to use them often in story to take out hard to find or kill targets and who better to do this and willingness to take on some crazy then throwing a bunch of creds at some BH if he dies oh well still got the creds and can hire another. But that was what I always saw and my preference. Alot has been due to Mako as well getting her affection up. But also sometimes the quest asks for a choice and if in the BH mindset it to me made more sense to go in a certain direction no matter the points of either side. So far that I've seen there are certain items only attainable through certain ranks of each side but theres still a ton of gear with equal stats or quality that is neutral. I haven't really found anything far superior with a Dark or Light level of # that completely outdoes anything neutral. Plus worse comes to worse. Pick up Diplomacy and send your minions out to do a certain side and start reeling in points, may not be much but can nickel and dime stuff to death.

I tend to think of this way, Bounty Hunters are proprietors of their own selves. They hold contracts for whatever is placed out before them and they must fulfill it. I find it silly that we have dark/light choices because a "true" Bounty Hunter fulfills the contract and finishes the deed. If you are to kill someone and paid to do it, you do it. No questions asked. However, sometimes they end up as Dark points just for finishing the contract.

There is often multiple ways to go about fulfilling a contract.

As an example one of the hunts to kill someones daughter... you can freeze her and drag her back. Not only is your contact extremely pleased by it(instead of killing her) but you get light points instead of dark. People rarely know what they really want. Give them what they want instead of what they ask for and you get bonuses.

I strongly encourage you guys to check out the bounty hunter trilogy (about boba fett) from the SW universe.

I try to think, "what would boba do?" and it's super fun.

Things i'd like to mention to people @ low levels right now.

1) there is actually a point when my character says "i'm not imperial." Keep this in mind when you are playing your character, you cant be kicked off the sith team lol

2) try not to feel bad for the victims - in the BH books the prey often piss themselves in Slave 1 prison. lol

3) Kill your prey if they are slowing you down. I usually just freeze them or capture them, but one guy said he wouldn't come with me unless i freed more slaves. Boba doesn't do charity or add extra risk.

4) Lots of missions have nothing to do with BH'ing but try to keep reputation and politics in mind. Your reputation is everything.

5) if anyone crosses you, make them pay. More of the reputation. I negotiate with the ignorant, but if people outright attempt to kill or double cross me, they usually end up dead.

from following these concepts, i'm leaning light but mostly neutral.

i hate singleplayer games but this stuff is fun as hell (and i <3 BH's)

I'm purposely being rebellious going through and trying to cause as much chaos as possible. I'm choosing options that mess with the empire as they're the establishment and that does require taking the occasional light side choice but I am heavily balanced on the dark side.

You can't unlock both darkside 1 and lightside 1 at the same time. darkside is negative lightside is positive. Example (lvl numbers might not be exact): If it requires 100 points to unlock LS 1, to go from darkside 1 to lightside 1 you would need 200 lightside to go from -100 to 100.

This

I hate it when people put this into their "code"

You're basically saying, no double-crossing...unless if you want to!

Choose one, either take bribes or don't ever take bribes. I choose to take bribes, morality isn't part of it.

Either live by honor, credits, or morals. Choose. If you can't then you are no better then your blubbering target that begs for their life.

I strongly encourage you guys to check out the bounty hunter trilogy (about boba fett) from the SW universe.

I try to think, "what would boba do?" and it's super fun.

Things i'd like to mention to people @ low levels right now.

1) there is actually a point when my character says "i'm not imperial." Keep this in mind when you are playing your character, you cant be kicked off the sith team lol

2) try not to feel bad for the victims - in the BH books the prey often piss themselves in Slave 1 prison. lol

3) Kill your prey if they are slowing you down. I usually just freeze them or capture them, but one guy said he wouldn't come with me unless i freed more slaves. Boba doesn't do charity or add extra risk.

4) Lots of missions have nothing to do with BH'ing but try to keep reputation and politics in mind. Your reputation is everything.

5) if anyone crosses you, make them pay. More of the reputation. I negotiate with the ignorant, but if people outright attempt to kill or double cross me, they usually end up dead.

from following these concepts, i'm leaning light but mostly neutral.

i hate singleplayer games but this stuff is fun as hell (and i <3 BH's)

This.

Is called logic.

I approve.