Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

Blackavaar

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J. J. Abrahms. Enough said? :rolleyes:

Yeah, he already ruined one sci-fi franchise. Let's give him the other one too.

:(

You meant he SAVED one sci-fi franchise that had become old, tired, stale and a dud at the box office. I believe JJ's Star Trek made more at the box office than the last three Star Trek movies COMBINED.

Add to that his reinvigoration of the Mission: Impossible franchise plus his creation of LOST and ALIAS and that the pilots for those he directed are among some of the finest hours of television ever produced PLUS his stated love of Star Wars and you're pretty much wrong right out of the gate.

This gives us even GREATER hope for the next Star Wars film. Also, you forgot to say "Gosh, now Star Wars will have lens flares all over the place!" to complete the invalid drama.

that's your opinion op, my opinion is, I think JJ was a good choice, I liked the reboot of star Trek, to each his own, time will tell.. :eek: I am Star Wars fan, I am happy to see new star wars movie on the way, the clone wars tv animation is the only thing I got going now, even if it is a kids show I like it, I think they do really good story telling for a half hour show.

After reading what JJ had to say about the whole thing, he admits he is more of a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek fan, in is younger life, I think he knows what it takes to make a good Star Wars movies and move the franchise on, but then again only time will tell..:)

Edited by kevlarto

I love the new star trek movie. That being said i think star wars is a better fit for him than star trek. Im not really sure how he is going to handle both franchises though because I believe the actors have a 3 movie contract for star trek or at least most of them.

The real question is if Abrams understands the difference between one SF franchise and another. I liked the Star Trek remake to some extent, but if he uses the same style and pacing (lots of running along corridors and shouting) the SW remake might suck.

Star Wars was always about the pacing - action scenes but also character development and stuff like jedi philosophy. Star Trek had none of that, it was a themepark ride with little depth.

Edited by HammersteinSW

You meant he SAVED one sci-fi franchise that had become old, tired, stale and a dud at the box office. I believe JJ's Star Trek made more at the box office than the last three Star Trek movies COMBINED.

Add to that his reinvigoration of the Mission: Impossible franchise plus his creation of LOST and ALIAS and that the pilots for those he directed are among some of the finest hours of television ever produced PLUS his stated love of Star Wars and you're pretty much wrong right out of the gate.

This gives us even GREATER hope for the next Star Wars film. Also, you forgot to say "Gosh, now Star Wars will have lens flares all over the place!" to complete the invalid drama.

Everything he has ever made sucks, including all the crap you listed.

To be fair, I think the original storyline of the franchise could have been saved if they bothered to put that kind of budget into it. Going from 35-60million budget to 150million.

The newest one also had better space combat and the special effects on the other TNG movies didn't compare to the newest one. And special effects hadn't gotten THAT far ahead of the last TNG movie.

They also updated things a bit with the newer Trek for newer audiences to help pull in a bigger crowd.

One thing that always bothered me with ST (and I enjoy it) is that for being in the future, everyone always enjoys classic/jazz music over what is popular today.

Seeing Kirk listen to Beastie Boys (though admittedly it was a Beastie Boy song over a decade old by the time of the movies release) had me saying "OMG! FINALLY!"

Star Trek: First Contract while still a much older song, at least had someone listening to a 60s/70s song over classic/jazz music (and I don't even hate these style of music, though admittedly not a big fan either).

The older Star Trek movies always felt more like extended episodes rather than movies. This didn't make them bad for me, but I enjoy the series. I can see why it didn't bring in a lot of non Star Trek fans however.

The real question is if Abrams understands the difference between one SF franchise and another. I liked the Star Trek remake to some extent, but if he uses the same style and pacing (lots of running along corridors and shouting) the SW remake might suck.

Star Wars was always about the pacing - action scenes but also character development and stuff like jedi philosophy. Star Trek had none of that, it was a themepark ride with little depth.

I disagree. Watch the Red Letter Media review on the new Star Trek. He makes a pretty compelling point that the mistake JJ Abrams did with the new Star Trek was make it more like Star Wars (less focused on technical details, more science fantasy then science fiction, faster paced.)

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

I disagree. Watch the Red Letter Media review on the new Star Trek. He makes a pretty compelling point that the mistake JJ Abrams did with the new Star Trek was make it more like Star Wars (less focused on technical details, more science fantasy then science fiction, faster paced.)

^This ... remember the "Hoth Scene" in ST? :rolleyes:

I like Abrams' original stuff. Not a big fan of his reboots. I think he is better suited for "his ideas".

To those that say he is not good at "pacing story" I give you Alias, Lost, and Fringe. :p

I'm a fan of Fringe and I enjoyed the last Star Trek reboot. However, the new trailer left me unimpressed. I was expecting an obsessed vengeful Khan, not that nobody. Anyways, I'm with the OP, I don't see how this guy can do justice to Star Wars. Star Wars is the most epic of all sci fi, and the only guy who truly understands "epic" right now outside of George Lucas himself, is Peter Jackson, who said he was too busy, but I believe he was just asking for more money, because he knows Disney has the money. Disney is a corporate Sarlacc behemoth who takes away jobs and out sources them to sweatshops in countries with no worker rights or regulations for pennies the hour. They definitely have the money. They have been swallowing all of our childhood memories into their sarlacc pit in recent years.

On the bright side, they didn't go with any marvel directors, who in my opinion should of never been considered for Star Wars, even if the movies they did were great, it's not the same genre of "epic".

And there is something incestuous and just not right about a Star Trek guy making a Star Wars movie. I think George Lucas hates us. Anyone else get that feeling?

I have a bad feeling about this.

shouldve gotten someone that bring a more darker side to the movies. someone like guillermo del toro with a good taste in art, design.. a good example is the clone wars series which was is far more entertaining then watching the sw movies nowadays.

after a full year of pvpn with swtor, it was really hard watching some of the action scenes in the sw movies. would be cool to see some elements from the game in some of the new movie action scenes.. showing different abilities, classes, moves, gear, environments, etc.. we at least know it will be somewhat progressive from the previous movies.

I have mixed feelings on JJ. He has come through on some things in past, but I didn't like his complete overhaul of star trek movie...yes its new...yeah its okay...but it literally changed every single storyline from the movies and the tv shows.

Also, don't let us forget Cloverfield...honestly wth was that JJ?

One thing that we know will be good in this are the special effects and battle scenes...but those do not make a great film.