2.6 patch Hammer Shot / Rapid Shots self-targeting bug

GNWP

1. A quote from Combat Support Cell ingame tooltip:
    targeting an ally or yourself with Hammer Shot will heal the target for 100% of your tech bonus healing.
  2. Every ability in the game that can be applied to an ally, such as any healing or cleanse abilities, automaticly applies to yourself if no target is selected or target is hostile.
  3. But Hammer Shot / Rapid Shots doesn't work that way if there's no target selected OR "Self Target Modifier" were holded down. It behave like ability to heal yourself with it was never added.

Here's some quotes from other players:

I agree that it's a bug (or oversight) that the Self Target Modifier (default keybind is Home) does not work for CSC Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots self-healing.

If you have a target selected, and then hold down the Self Target Modifier key and use CSC Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots, you shoot your target instead of healing yourself. That's not expected behavior. There is no reason why the ability should not respect the Self Target Modifier, other than it's probably an oversight.

Regarding whether CSC Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots self-healing should self-heal when you have no target selected... only if the "Auto Target Closest Enemy" preference is turned off. If "Auto Target Closest Enemy" is turned on, then Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots should always target and shoot an enemy.

Obviously, having the ability to self-heal with hammer shot is a nice addition to the Trooper healer, but I noticed one odd thing. You actually have to self-target yourself in order to start casting. If you have no one targeted, you will just get the error message "Target not friendly". Since every other healing ability assumes that if you have no one targeted, its intended to be a self-cast, why doesn't HS work this way?

I think that this should be fixed. In my opinion the logical thing for Hammer shot to do when no one is targeted is trigger the self heal. As an healer the most common method i use to heal myself is click on the terrain and use an healing ability.

It makes no sense for it to damage the nearest target (that could be controlled by some form of CC for example).

So how it actually SHOULD work: While Combat Suppor Cell / Cylinder is active Hammer Shot / Rapid Shots should behave as following:

• If no target is selected - applies to player if the "Auto Target Closest Enemy" preference is turned off.
  • If "Self Target Modifier" is holded down - applies to player.
  • If target target is hostile/friendly - applies to target.

Example of how this algorithm works:

Target is hostile, but "Self Target Modifier" is holded down - Hammer Shot / Rapid Shots applies to player.

Edited by GNWP

I found this thread via the merc forums and there you said this is a bug, it's not and is working as intended.

First let me preface my explanation with how I do understand what you're saying and asking for. And I agree that the mechanics could be better from a QoL perspective.

With that said however, we would only gain the ability to not lose our target when we want to use rapid shots on ourselves while csc is active. Right now the mechanics call for us to "target" ourselves, which is currently set to F1. You talk about a self target modifier key, and it's right there, F1. However, we lose our target when that happens. You could overcome this by using focus target, but you would give up using that for your main heal target.

I sincerely hope the ability gets refined in the future to where we don't have to lose our hostile target, but I personally believe that calling it bugged is reaching since it does work as designed. Having a "self use" modifier regardless of our target would be awesome provided it got applied to all healers at least, or just applied to every class.

I found this thread via the merc forums and there you said this is a bug, it's not and is working as intended.

First let me preface my explanation with how I do understand what you're saying and asking for. And I agree that the mechanics could be better from a QoL perspective.

With that said however, we would only gain the ability to not lose our target when we want to use rapid shots on ourselves while csc is active. Right now the mechanics call for us to "target" ourselves, which is currently set to F1. You talk about a self target modifier key, and it's right there, F1. However, we lose our target when that happens. You could overcome this by using focus target, but you would give up using that for your main heal target.

I sincerely hope the ability gets refined in the future to where we don't have to lose our hostile target, but I personally believe that calling it bugged is reaching since it does work as designed. Having a "self use" modifier regardless of our target would be awesome provided it got applied to all healers at least, or just applied to every class.

F1 - is "Target Self" key bind. "Self Target Modifier" is a different key bind. It works like when you hold it down - every abitlity that could be applied to you applies to you, while your target is unchanged either it's friendly or hostile or whatever. For example - while I heal my ally and got him targeted I can hold down "Self Target Modifier" and cursor becomes green (which means that all abilities are applied to me instead my current target) and quickly throw a cleanse or heal on myself.

Edited by GNWP

I agree that it's a bug (or oversight) that the Self Target Modifier (default keybind is Home) does not work for CSC Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots self-healing.

If you have a target selected, and then hold down the Self Target Modifier key and use CSC Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots, you shoot your target instead of healing yourself. That's not expected behavior. There is no reason why the ability should not respect the Self Target Modifier, other than it's probably an oversight.

Regarding whether CSC Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots self-healing should self-heal when you have no target selected... only if the "Auto Target Closest Enemy" preference is turned off. If "Auto Target Closest Enemy" is turned on, then Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots should always target and shoot an enemy.

Good explanation of the bug and good point about "Auto Target Closest Enemy" case.

Let's hope it won't take half a year to fix it.

Edited by GNWP