Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

_Darkstar

Let me start by saying I hate PvP - So I play on a PvE server to avoid it. I am also not flagged for PvP.

So why on earth can I accidentally catch a wandering enemy player in my AoE and automatically get set into PvP mode?

Not only do I not want this (Hence finding a PvE server!) but it takes me by surprise and I am dead before I even realise what is going on! Then I have to wait 5 minutes for the flag to wear off, during which time I can't go and quest because I know there are invisible enemy players around?

How did this feature make it live?

Even worse I hear is that if a PvP flagged friendly walks into your heal patch then you are flagged for PvP automatically! This is absurd and needs changing quickly because as I am getting higher in level I am seeing more and more PvP flagged players and I do not want to be restricted to single target attacks for fear of accidentally hitting someone.

I can forgive the bugs but this is going to ruin the game for me if it isn't changed soon.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

I agree 100% with the OP . I rolled on a PvE server too got flagged a few times on Hoth with this, then proceeded to get ganked by a group it was anything but fun. The whole story link.

People will intentionally stand close to you during a fight to grief you with this to. So if you see yellow names around don't AoE. Play gimped or be griefed , those are the only choices as of right now.

I have added a post to the suggestion box located here , if you support removing this mechanic/bug/problem please add your thoughts to the linked thread. I believe it is more likely to be seen than threads located in the general forum which become buried rather fast. I have also linked this post as well as others that address this .

Edited by HanoverFist

Let me start by saying I hate PvP - So I play on a PvE server to avoid it. I am also not flagged for PvP.

So why on earth can I accidentally catch a wandering enemy player in my AoE and automatically get set into PvP mode?

Not only do I not want this (Hence finding a PvE server!) but it takes me by surprise and I am dead before I even realise what is going on! Then I have to wait 5 minutes for the flag to wear off, during which time I can't go and quest because I know there are invisible enemy players around?

How did this feature make it live?

Even worse I hear is that if a PvP flagged friendly walks into your heal patch then you are flagged for PvP automatically! This is absurd and needs changing quickly because as I am getting higher in level I am seeing more and more PvP flagged players and I do not want to be restricted to single target attacks for fear of accidentally hitting someone.

I can forgive the bugs but this is going to ruin the game for me if it isn't changed soon.

I have yet to experience this myself, but it appears that this isn't intended. I'd submit a bug report in-game thoroughly explaining the situation and why you believe it should be fixed.

This could potentially be one of the biggest issues in the game, and I'm sure if it hasn't been fixed yet, it's because it hasn't come to the attention of Bioware.

I'll try to reproduce the problem and submit a report myself, but I suggest you do as well, in case I can't get the same results as you are.

If you see flagged players you should be paying attention and acting appropriately. I see no issue with this. If you start casting AoE's with them around, you're making a bad decision. They're hanging around flagged because they want PvP. If you don't, then don't hit them. Simple. I'm sorry but it's PvP and he's free to flag if he wants to, just as you're free to pay attention to what the heck you're doing and smartly avoid him. Edited by Leiloni

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

Rift.

If you set the option, you cannot perform any action on a PvP flagged player (friendly or enemy) without toggling the option.

EDIT: (Jan. 29)

For those just coming in this thread, Joveth posted an important announcement regarding this issue:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that the development team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating different solutions for it. Your feedback is important and we want everyone to be able to have an enjoyable experience. We'll definitely keep you posted with the latest information on this.

Thank you

source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=159167&page=84

Edited by Aieny

Rift.

If you set the option, you cannot perform any action on a PvP flagged player (friendly or enemy) without toggling the option.

Only after lots of QQ did they give in to that (dumb move IMO). The game was not originally designed that way.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

SWG. If you were not flagged pvp then this doesn't happen .

City of Heroes.

Also just because 'thats how is it' doesn't make it a good idea.

Do you have any of your own opinions on stuff or do you just make statements to try and belittle people?

If you see flagged players you should be paying attention and acting appropriately. I see no issue with this. If you start casting AoE's with them around, you're making a bad decision. They're hanging around flagged because they want PvP. If you don't, then don't hit them. Simple. I'm sorry but it's PvP and he's free to flag if he wants to, just as you're free to pay attention to what the heck you're doing and smartly avoid him.

I have never played a game where this happens, also they were stealthed and as an SI I don't have any way to see them so basically I am just at the mercy of randomly being thrown into PvP mode when other players feel like affecting my game?

PvP flag means they want PvP but equally no PvP flag from me means that I do not want it. I can't drop them into PvE mode my not shooting at them so its a little bit of an unfair one way street if you ask me.

WoW also fixed that a long time ago because people found it obnoxious and complained.

No matter how careful you are, you can't help it if someone stealths into the AoE you set down before you knew there was anyone around.

Having to watch your back and adjusting your playstyle to account for PvP encounters is normal on PvP servers. However, people who rolled on PvE servers did so precisely because they wanted to avoid world PvP. Shoving world PvP down their throats and forcing them to gimp their playstyle in case there is a griefer around only makes the game stressful and unenjoyable for them (and defeats the point of PvE servers).

If you see flagged players you should be paying attention and acting appropriately. I see no issue with this. If you start casting AoE's with them around, you're making a bad decision. They're hanging around flagged because they want PvP. If you don't, then don't hit them. Simple. I'm sorry but it's PvP and he's free to flag if he wants to, just as you're free to pay attention to what the heck you're doing and smartly avoid him.

It's an incredibly stupid design and no amount of justification will make it otherwise. The OP doesn't want to participate in PvP so they rolled on a PvP server, they shouldn't be forced into PvP because someone purposefully walked into their AoE. I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't do this anymore either if you want another game who doesn't do it.

WoW does have a name for people who like to use the autoflag mechanic to jump people though, I can't think of the name of it but it's a very lame mechanic. It ensures that you can always get the first shot off. Participating in PvP on a PvE server should require flagging first. Plain and simple.

To add a bit of good news into this thread I did /sit and the person who I hit left me alone, but while I was making this thread the mobs I was killing when I caught him respawned and killed me lol.

Edit: To add a bit of bad news why was my thread moved into new player help? I don't want help I want to complain!

Edited by _Darkstar

RIFT, after you set the toggle to not flag PVP in preference.

To add a bit of good news into this thread I did /sit and the person who I hit left me alone, but while I was making this thread the mobs I was killing when I caught him respawned and killed me lol.

Edit: To add a bit of bad news why was my thread moved into new player help? I don't want help I want to complain!

This does not belong in the Newbies help forum.

I posted a very similar thread to this a few days back , and a mod moved it to the PvP forum, I asked nicely for a mod to move it back and they did.

Pm a mod with the specifics and they will probably move it back for you.

Edited by HanoverFist

WoW does have a name for people who like to use the autoflag mechanic to jump people though, I can't think of the name of it but it's a very lame mechanic. It ensures that you can always get the first shot off. Participating in PvP on a PvE server should require flagging first. Plain and simple.

On Horde, we called it Bluewalling. To us, a lot of Alliance did this. Very aggravating. However, Bluewalling was when a non-PVP flagged player attacked a PVP flagged player without flagging first. It was an intentional move, not unintentional.

I am 100% with the OP. I find it highly intrusive to be on my own merry way, enjoying the game that I have every right to and accidentally hit another player who is PVP flagged. When I want to PVP, I queue up for Warzones. When I don't want to PVP I should not be forced in to it by unintentional actions, or the actions of others.

It's an incredibly stupid design and no amount of justification will make it otherwise. The OP doesn't want to participate in PvP so they rolled on a PvP server, they shouldn't be forced into PvP because someone purposefully walked into their AoE. I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't do this anymore either if you want another game who doesn't do it.

Right on the money.

Pm a mod with the specifics and they will probably move it back for you.

Is there somewhere that lists which mod to contact? It's not really something that I look out for but I want to see what Bioware plan on doing with this 'feature' so would like this thread in the right place.

Their are allot of games out their that do not let you heal or dps a player that is flagged for PVP unless you are flagged. to name a few WOW, Rift, SWG, CoH, and more.

Some of them started out this way and some of them changed it because it can and will lead to greefing on both sides.

For example if i want to get an advantage on another player i go around un-flagged and look for a flagged character and attack him first. This gives me the advantage because he or she cannot..... not potable..... does not have the choice.... to wait for my first attack. He or she even if they see me coming cannot attack me because i am not flagged and will probably ignore me because i am not flagged. This gives me an unfair advantage over that person. that is an exploit and should not be allowed.

Now for the other example. I am running around on a PvE server and am not flagged. A stelth toon goes to where i am attacking a group of 5 NPC's and stands their knowing that i will eventually though an AOE making me flag PVP. He or she knows what is going on and has me targeted. Because i am unaware and already in combat i will loos every time regardless of how much i try. This is two different things griefing and exploitation.

This type of system where one player can force another into doing something is wrong. This system allows and promotes griefing and exploitation.

If you are not flagged for PvP you should not be able to participate in PvP nor should you be made to PvP.

I like PvP... (see sig for any questions......) well at least i like fair PvP.

But i should not be able to force anyone nor exploit a system nor grief anyone. That is why the games that where not like this from the start changed to this now.

Is there somewhere that lists which mod to contact? It's not really something that I look out for but I want to see what Bioware plan on doing with this 'feature' so would like this thread in the right place.

Just use the Flag button for this.

Edited by BlackRifle

On Horde, we called it Bluewalling. To us, a lot of Alliance did this. Very aggravating. However, Bluewalling was when a non-PVP flagged player attacked a PVP flagged player without flagging first. It was an intentional move, not unintentional.

I am 100% with the OP. I find it highly intrusive to be on my own merry way, enjoying the game that I have every right to and accidentally hit another player who is PVP flagged. When I want to PVP, I queue up for Warzones. When I don't want to PVP I should not be forced in to it by unintentional actions, or the actions of others.

That's right.

Yeah I wasn't trying to say they were the same thing I was just trying to say that PvP on a PvE server should require flagging before attacking no matter the circumstances.

name an mmo where catching an enemy player in an aoe, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into pvp mode. Go ahead.

SWG -If you were not-flagged and you tried to do anything to a flagged player (heal, buff, AOE) it simply had no effect. This had three basic functions;

One, you wouldn't accidentally flag for PvP if you were a PvE player.

Two, you couldn't have a non-flagged player heal and buff you in PvP.

Three, you couldn't surprise attack someone by being un-flagged and suddenly attacking them.

The only way to get flagged for PvP was to flag yourself or enter a clearly marked PvP zone. 100% voluntary. Your nameplate blinked for a few seconds before you made the transition so other players could see that you were flagging.

Edited by MorgonKara