EC blackhole commendation chest – bug or working?

On Tuesday, my guild went into EC (storymode, but that shouldn’t have a bearing on this), we had a lot of people going to the D3 launch, short on people, had to use alts, etc. anyways, we were going slow. We only managed to get through 3 bosses by the end of raid. Instead of pushing a little further ahead into the last open area before Kephess to get the blackhole commendation chest (filled with droids, stealthies, and guns), we decided to just call it after the minesweeper, and come back to collect the chest + boss.

Well, fast forward to last night. We downed nightmare pilgrim, and decided to use ~1 hour to kill kephess, especially with the sexy +50 buff (which is indeed sexy).

We cleared to the chest (just outside of kephess’ room, across the way), looking to get some blackhole tokens, only to find that the chest is inaccessible to anyone.

Is this a bug? Or working as intended?

I have not experienced this myself.

However, according to other posts in this forum, the chest that follows each EC boss is only available for a limited amount of time after that boss is killed.

Therefore you should never wait another session to clear to the chest after you kill an EC boss. My guess is that it is intended by design, probably to avoid any sort of reset instance /chest farming exploit.. sorry about that.

Edited by Oggthebase

I have not experienced this myself.

However, according to other posts in this forum, the chest that follows each EC boss is only available for a limited amount of time after that boss is killed.

Therefore you should never wait another session to clear to the chest after you kill an EC boss. My guess is that it is intended by design, probably to avoid any sort of reset instance /chest farming exploit.. sorry about that.

I guess that makes sense.

oh well, lesson learned.

ya, its a pretty short timeframe too. We had one member go AFK, so since we knew the chests were on a timer we pushed ahead without them. We cleared to it quickly, and looted it about 3mins before he came back from AFK (he went AFK in the zone as well, at the previous boss we beat). By the time he got to the chest, it wouldnt let him loot it either. It kinda stinks, but as far as we can tell, its intended.

ya, its a pretty short timeframe too. We had one member go AFK, so since we knew the chests were on a timer we pushed ahead without them. We cleared to it quickly, and looted it about 3mins before he came back from AFK (he went AFK in the zone as well, at the previous boss we beat). By the time he got to the chest, it wouldnt let him loot it either. It kinda stinks, but as far as we can tell, its intended.

There are two factors at work here

1) You have a limited time after every boss to get the chest. If you come back the next day or take forever to get to the next boss, the chest won't be open. Usually what we do after we kill a boss near the end of raid time is that we will stay an extra 10 minutes or so to clear to the chest since it won't be available the next day.

2) People that are not in range when you open the chest won't be able to get anything from the chest. There is no timer, if they are not in range the moment the chest is opened, they are SOL for that chest.

#1 - yep. us too.

#2 is good to know. We normally wait for all to be rezzed and present at any body/chest before we loot in other ops for bosses, but there is the occassional time when someone isnt and the body is looted. They were always able to still get their pieces, however.