2.6.1 and no bomber nerfs/fixes?!

Korithras

Come on Bioware, the fact that their turrets are OP with their rate of fire, damage, and never missing aside, how could fixing the LoS issue NOT have been a priority to get fixed ASAP!? Are you unaware of all the exploits bombers currently employ using this bug? Or are you just trying to make people hate GSF as much as possible?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My missile drone's laser blasts do like 200 damage, have an average rate of fire, and miss all the time. The hell game are you playing?

You forget that they run out of power before they could kill anything... and pause for like ... ever before firing again.

Come on Bioware, the fact that their turrets are OP with their rate of fire, damage, and never missing aside, how could fixing the LoS issue NOT have been a priority to get fixed ASAP!? Are you unaware of all the exploits bombers currently employ using this bug? Or are you just trying to make people hate GSF as much as possible?

The LOS issue is the only valid point you make... and that is overshadowed by your overly negative tone.

/holdsoutatissue

am i the only here who thinks drones are far to easy to kill?

They feel about right to me... 1-2 seconds depending on range/build etc. but you are forced to actually fly at them for a bit if you want to down them. On the flip side, the bomber who places them intelligently will prosper without them being to hard to down.

All I see is: crai crai bumburs OP crai crai crai :mad:

Seriously, cry a little more.

/qq

Reminder: Rude conduct is against forum rules.

Statement: I saw that they were supposed to have made it so that you could break the missile drone lock-on. I can confirm it doesn't.

Addendum: Another thing that would go a long way, is make it so that bombers can't turn the satellites into an impenetrable fortress by limiting how many of each drone type can be around each satellite.

Indisputable Statement: Notice that I did not say to limit mines. Only drones.

Contemplative: Maybe I'm wrong and I've just been unfortunate and been queued with meatbags who are uncoordinated and don't know how to deal with that kind of thing.

Statement: But I do say there needs to be a limit from both perspectives. It's no fun trying to break a satellite that's been turned into a fortress. But at the same time, it's no fun defending those satellites because it's an easy victory. And that's no fun.

Reminder: Rude conduct is against forum rules.

Statement: I saw that they were supposed to have made it so that you could break the missile drone lock-on. I can confirm it doesn't.

Addendum: Another thing that would go a long way, is make it so that bombers can't turn the satellites into an impenetrable fortress by limiting how many of each drone type can be around each satellite.

Indisputable Statement: Notice that I did not say to limit mines. Only drones.

Contemplative: Maybe I'm wrong and I've just been unfortunate and been queued with meatbags who are uncoordinated and don't know how to deal with that kind of thing.

Statement: But I do say there needs to be a limit from both perspectives. It's no fun trying to break a satellite that's been turned into a fortress. But at the same time, it's no fun defending those satellites because it's an easy victory. And that's no fun.

If a satellite has THAT many mines/drones around it, use a:

1. Type 1 Gunship with tier 4 ion cannon, you're also almost guaranteed damage MVP.

2. EMP Missiles from a type 2 strike fighter. They are actually quite effective vs stationary targets due to their AOE. Target something that cannot break the lock (mine/drone/turret) and use cover to fire at the target if available (asteroid/mining platform/etc).

3. EMP Pulse from a type 1 scout. This requires a little more finesse to use as you are in a very vulnerable position when flying in. Pop distortion field if you have it!

4. Group of 2-4 people to attack. Do NOT attack alone unless you are the diversion...

You should have one of these ships available to you at all times (one of the five that you take into battle). Also note that these are 3 different ship types (a gunship, strike and a scout).

Remember that AOE beats tightly clumped defenses...

1. Type 1 Gunship with tier 4 ion cannon, you're also almost guaranteed damage MVP.

2. EMP Missiles from a type 2 strike fighter. They are actually quite effective vs stationary targets due to their AOE. Target something that cannot break the lock (mine/drone/turret) and use cover to fire at the target if available (asteroid/mining platform/etc).

3. EMP Pulse from a type 1 scout. This requires a little more finesse to use as you are in a very vulnerable position when flying in. Pop distortion field if you have it!

4. Group of 2-4 people to attack. Do NOT attack alone unless you are the diversion...

You should have one of these ships available to you at all times (one of the five that you take into battle). Also note that these are 3 different ship types (a gunship, strike and a scout).

Remember that AOE beats tightly clumped defenses...

Agreement: I wholly agree. Which is why I fly said ships with said components.

Statement: It's when your group doesn't know that and refuse to coordinate things that makes it difficult.

Retraction: So then a limit isn't what is needed.

Statement: It is the education of others on how to use the different fighters and how the components work; as well as how to coordinate and work together.

When mines respect AOE, I hope they will make it so you have to have LOS of said mines to know they're there.

I think you meant when mines respect LOS? Yeah sensors are a little too perfect in this game. (When I am flying on the "outside" of B in the Mesas and I can "see" all that is through the 1-2 km of rock that is kinda BS...

The problem is, "that many" mines and drones comes from one bomber.

Retraction: So then a limit isn't what is needed.

Statement: It is the education of others on how to use the different fighters and how the components work; as well as how to coordinate and work together.

It's both, really. If I've got someone who can tank the minefield, I can swoop in and hit the bomber for massive damage to his weak point. The problem is that the bomber pilot can just roll his face across the concussion mine button and blow me up in two shots, and there's really nothing I can do about it if I want to use my blasters even moderately efficiently. It's just another drop in the inverted mechanics bucket -- normally you want to balance damage and (player controlled) accuracy by moderating your range, and burst cannons in fact force you to do that if you want any reasonable amount of damage. But when you're fighting a bomber, established mechanics don't matter, I guess.

(Someone did that to me earlier today -- even though I was clearly the superior pilot in every engagement, once s/he switched to a bomber and sat on the node I needed, I repeatedly died to skill-less play because it completely counters the lack of range a scout brings to the table. You know who you are. Enjoy those three kills, I won't let them come so easily in the future.)

It's both, really. If I've got someone who can tank the minefield, I can swoop in and hit the bomber for massive damage to his weak point. The problem is that the bomber pilot can just roll his face across the concussion mine button and blow me up in two shots, and there's really nothing I can do about it if I want to use my blasters even moderately efficiently. It's just another drop in the inverted mechanics bucket -- normally you want to balance damage and (player controlled) accuracy by moderating your range, and burst cannons in fact force you to do that if you want any reasonable amount of damage. But when you're fighting a bomber, established mechanics don't matter, I guess.

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/Rock_Paper_Scissors_Lizard_Spock_en.svg/1000px-Rock_Paper_Scissors_Lizard_Spock_en.svg.png

I'm not saying it is perfect... but you should have a lot of trouble beating some ship types more than others...

(Someone did that to me earlier today -- even though I was clearly the superior pilot in every engagement, once s/he switched to a bomber and sat on the node I needed, I repeatedly died to skill-less play because it completely counters the lack of range a scout brings to the table. You know who you are. Enjoy those three kills, I won't let them come so easily in the future.)

Aw... you kept choosing paper? :rak_02:

Edited by Zharik

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/Rock_Paper_Scissors_Lizard_Spock_en.svg/1000px-Rock_Paper_Scissors_Lizard_Spock_en.svg.png

I'm not saying it is perfect... but you should have a lot more trouble beating some ship types more than others...

It's not that simple. See http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7238220#post7238220

(Also, RPSLS is inherently unbalanced because players favor the familiar, giving Spock an inherent advantage against most opponents.)

Aw... you kept choosing paper? :rak_02:

Always choose the paper class.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree that it should be harder to kill/shutdown some enemies than it is to kill/shutdown others. If that weren't the case, there would only be one class in the game. I've been saying for a while now that class variety is a good thing.

The problem I have is that my entire build and all of my experience is hard countered by stock bombers tapping a button on cooldown while googling prawn on the other monitor. I get about 12 seconds to DPS the bomber before his mine comes off cooldown, at which point my "best" option is to boost past him into the path of his heavy lasers (which also have shield piercing!). And given bomber hull and shield values, it's just not very feasible to get that kill in 12 seconds while chasing them around a satellite.

The difference in skill required to kill a bomber as a scout, and to kill a scout as a bomber, is enormous. I'm absolutely ok with having a hard time as a scout trying to kill a bomber, I'm not ok with bombers killing me because the cat jumped on the keyboard.

Edited by Armonddd

Zero sympathy for battle scouts despite your wall of text. If you are engaging a bomber on their terms you deserve everything you get, especially in that ship.

And even then, I'd say the scout has the upper hand when the bomber is everywhere ELSE than a satellite...

The problem I have is that my entire build

You picked a primary weapon that is moderately useful from 501-3000, absurdly powerful at 1-500, and a gnat at 3001-4000. You get what you pay for. This is also why you are allowed to take up to 5 ships with you to choose from.

...and all of my experience is hard countered by stock bombers tapping a button on cooldown...

Intellectually dishonest, and you know it. I could let my step-son play any of my bombers and even stand behind him telling him what to do, you'd kill him way more often than not. And that would be you playing paper and him playing scissors and you winning frequently, if not all the time.

Edited by Zharik

Zero sympathy for battle scouts despite your wall of text. If you are engaging a bomber on their terms you deserve everything you get, especially in that ship.

Agreed. Scouts shouldn't ever be jack of all trade ships. It should be entirely possible for another ship class to completely shut them down because they lack the necessary tools to counter them. IMO all of the Type 2 scout complaints about bombers are because they got too used to being the games multirole starfighter (a role they were never supposed to fill) and just haven't made the adjustments to no longer being able to excel as multirole starfighters.

Now if we were talking the striker class I'd say yes something is broken since they're supposed to be multirole starfighters that can be built to handle any situation (albeit not always as well as a ship class purpose built for a given scenario as befitting a jack of all trades class). It would be crazy if the game's multirole starfighter class had no builds that could counter a bomber.

Personally I'm not a fan that the Type 1 striker is not as well suited to counter bombers as the Type 2 with the EMP missile but I've tweaked my build and adjusting my tactics so that as long as I have some support I can manage against bombers. Perhaps not the best against a bomber but I find my Type 1 striker still remains a faithful multirole starfighter that can handle most situations I get into.

You picked a primary weapon that is moderately useful from 501-3000, absurdly powerful at 1-500, and a gnat at 3001-4000. You get what you pay for. This is also why you are allowed to take up to 5 ships with you to choose from.

Your numbers are a bit off, but more importantly I'd like to remind you that most players don't have that luxury. I'm not sure if that's what we should be balanced around (actually, given the lack of ranking at all, I'm not sure what's we should be balancing around at all), but there it is.

Intellectually dishonest, and you know it. I could let my step-son play any of my bombers and even stand behind him telling him what to do, you'd kill him way more often than not. And that would be you playing paper and him playing scissors and you winning frequently, if not all the time.

As I said in that other thread, skill generally beats out the rock-paper-scissors nature of class warfare. But, again like in that thread, we're comparing vast differences in skill. I don't think that's appropriate.

Edited by Armonddd

[/i]You picked a primary weapon that is moderately useful from 501-3000, absurdly powerful at 1-500, and a gnat at 3001-4000. You get what you pay for. This is also why you are allowed to take up to 5 ships with you to choose from.

You want to know what class doesn't have to make compromises in? Gunships. Like really a BLC/slug/ion/Barrel/Dfield build is optimal in every single possible situation a gunship can find themselves in. So don't give that total BS about "you picked it"

If battle scouts are one thing, it's prolific on the forums.

If you want to discuss potential nerfs, I'm all ears. I've already suggested reducing the minor components available to three slots per ship, and increasing BLCs to 100 RPMS (though that one might not have made it from my fingers to the forums yet). Just keep in mind that any changes we suggest need to maintain relative power levels with the other classes in the game, which now includes bombers and even more versatile strikes as well as gunships.

My potential fix for the game?

All armor penetration needs a revamp. Across the board.

Every single thing that gives arpen is 100%. This makes deflection armor, and other upgrades like it that give damage reduction, effectively useless, because all of the most egregious damage dealers (including BLCs) have 100% arpen and completely nullify those upgrades.

Arpen should never exceed 50% imo.

Edited by FridgeLM