Anyone Interested In Pod Racing?

Xina_LA

I would love to host pod racing competitions in the game, by setting up a track at a stronghold.

Would anyone be interested?

What do you think of this idea?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=966083

I think the main thing it lacks is mounts (racing pods, etc) that actually require skill to drive through twisty passages(1). And of course there's nothing anyone but BioWare can do to make that happen.

But the idea itself seems pretty good.

(1) Try driving the Roller Beetle at full whack through any part of GW2 that isn't flat open terrain, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I think the main thing it lacks is mounts (racing pods, etc) that actually require skill to drive through twisty passages(1). And of course there's nothing anyone but BioWare can do to make that happen.

Having hosted a ton of horse racing in LotRO where all the mounts go the same speed and the terrain can be tricky, I can say for certain that it's not an issue. As long as the course is designed properly, there is some challenge to navigating it, and thus the skill of the player is the biggest factor.

In-game racing:

Event ad:

In fact, it would be far easier in SWTOR, now that we have traps. Imagine trying to cut a corner for speed, wondering if you're going to get too close to the electric wall trap?

The SWTOR animations also look much better. Horses in LotRO just can't jump!

Edited by Xina_LA

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there are now two trap decorations that activate due to proximity and cause damage. One is a fire trap that sits on the floor and looks like a large, square grate. The other is an electrified wall.

When we did horse racing in LotRO, we didn't have any proximity-activated items. In fact, most of the time we raced in open world, not player housing. We would pick clear landmarks on the terrain and make them course checkpoints. A judge waited at each checkpoint. The racers would have to navigate around or through each checkpoint in the proper order. If they tried to cheat, the judge wouldn't see them at the checkpoint. We also grouped up and watched their progress on the map, made sure the checkpoints weren't near any QT points, and so forth. (To be fair, in five years of online racing and countless races, people only tried to cheat twice, so it wasn't a huge issue.) The final judge would be at the finish line, taking screenshots for verification. The fans were also at the finish line, cheering and launching fireworks.

Usually after a race, we had a fashion contest. A number of people would come up in front of the crowd to show off their cosmetic outfit (pets and mounts included). The audience would vote for the winner. Prizes were awarded, game money of both kinds (CC/credits) or rare items.

Unfortunately, SWTOR doesn't have a music system, but I think the events would still be fun, even without player-created MIDI music playing in the background.

Yes, there are now two trap decorations that activate due to proximity and cause damage. One is a fire trap that sits on the floor and looks like a large, square grate. The other is an electrified wall.

When we did horse racing in LotRO, we didn't have any proximity-activated items. In fact, most of the time we raced in open world, not player housing. We would pick clear landmarks on the terrain and make them course checkpoints. A judge waited at each checkpoint. The racers would have to navigate around or through each checkpoint in the proper order. If they tried to cheat, the judge wouldn't see them at the checkpoint. We also grouped up and watched their progress on the map, made sure the checkpoints weren't near any QT points, and so forth. (To be fair, in five years of online racing and countless races, people only tried to cheat twice, so it wasn't a huge issue.) The final judge would be at the finish line, taking screenshots for verification. The fans were also at the finish line, cheering and launching fireworks.

Usually after a race, we had a fashion contest. A number of people would come up in front of the crowd to show off their cosmetic outfit (pets and mounts included). The audience would vote for the winner. Prizes were awarded, game money of both kinds (CC/credits) or rare items.

Unfortunately, SWTOR doesn't have a music system, but I think the events would still be fun, even without player-created MIDI music playing in the background.

Now I'm going to have to by those items ha ha ha! Do you have a track already set up? I'm assuming rishi is the stronghold to do this at.