View Single Post

memerobot
05.02.2019 , 03:17 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Fellow-Canadian View Post
I've tried playing pyro but found its damage to be too unreliable in PVP. Terrible dot spread mechanic and subpar burst. I find AP has the best burst in the game and also has very effective AOE. The way I see things for this class right now is it can't win fights of attrition, so I play towards ending engagements as quickly as possible. AP can global someone and pyro can't. That way the survival issue doesn't always become a problem.
The main problem with Pyro spec is that you're forced to play in clumped up places to make the dotspreading/aoe effective. The damage that the spec can do can actually be higher when properly landed but its gimmicky in the way it works but I stick to it because its fun to use It would be nice if both dots would spread but sadly only one does. The way I 'negate' the downsides of this is to play around 'LoS' to force Ranged classes to 'be together' as they stalk me and/or play tight places/gaps (Favorite spots list: Orbital Station/Rishi Cove/Mandalorian Battle Ring ramps/corners + Makeb Mesa on the metal ramps or around the hut on one of the sides, Corellia Square behind the crates on the tight spaces + Tatooine Canyon huts or those pipe things next to each respective spawn area) to make the job easier. Standing out in the open is basically letting yourself eat free damage from ranged. Plus, everyone knows that if you play PT, you're there to dish out as much damage and die by doing that.
Still, I agree, Pyro is far less appealing than AP when you look at the cards you got.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fellow-Canadian View Post
I take utilities that increase mobility, control, and survival. Here is my usual setup. I find the only talent that is changeable is dropping pyro shield damage for something else. Anything else I find I can't live without. The extra 10m on grapple is unreal.

Kiting with hydraulic override can't be overstated in how effective it is. Server interpolation causes other people to see you as warping all over their screen, so people have an incredibly difficult time trying to attack you. You can exploit this fact by fighting melee at range while kiting them in circles. It's also effective against ranged classes with good positioning. You can use LOS to expose yourself only briefly to fire an ability and duck back behind LOS. Ranged classes have to constantly reposition or they just die from standing still.
Kiting is questionable. Sure you can work up to 'live longer' that way but its a bit of a gamble because you just need to get slowed down/rooted/stunned to have plans ruined xD
I just tend to build up every DR available in the utils tree and equip anything that can hit back while I'm alive and being damaged. Stuff like gambling on LoS to get out of combat is just asking to your opponents to not be smart

Also, doesn't the Carbo + grenade give full resolve?