Big problem with space combat

ducho

Hello!

Im new player, lvl 27 for now and im in a big trouble...

Im trying to do some space fights, however my laser gun doesnt even scratch enemy ships

I can kill em only with rockets, so here's my question

Is my laser too weak? Or my graph card is too bad for space fighting? :p Im locking on a enemy fighter all route he flies and nothing happens

Please help!

You have to gear your ship out as you would your toon or companions. I'm sure there are other vendors, but you can purchase starship upgrades on the fleet in the galactic trade area (opposite where the GTN terminal are). You can also find some nice ship upgrades on the GTN as well.

Thank you for fast response, however I've already equipped my ship with beam generator and part that gives me 7 shots a sec (or something like that). Still cant shoot down enemy fighter, my laser gun is still useless

Which mission are you doing? The missions actually have levels. If you are doing a mission which is several levels above you (which can happen occasionally), it can be significantly harder to take down enemy fighters. Maybe try this mission again after you level up once (or even twice). I've found that can make a huge difference. Also, check that vendor and make sure you have all of the upgrades that you can get at your level. There are a couple that affect your blaster.

Hello!

Im new player, lvl 27 for now and im in a big trouble...

Im trying to do some space fights, however my laser gun doesnt even scratch enemy ships

I can kill em only with rockets, so here's my question

Is my laser too weak? Or my graph card is too bad for space fighting? :p Im locking on a enemy fighter all route he flies and nothing happens

Please help!

The real problem with space combat is that it sucks! They should change space combat so that it is closer to star trek online.

Edited by zejaie

The real problem with space combat is that it sucks! They should change space combat so that it is closer to star trek online.

Not the place for this debate.

Obviously the player wants to do the space combat as is. If you cannot help him then please move on.

Getting back on topic, as Fubarq said, sometimes the level of the mission, while strictly speaking doable by your level, is just beyond your level. Also I believe by the level you are at you could have acquired the ship upgrade that gives you the option of either having more powerful weapons or faster shield regen. This is an upgrade you have to actively switch. if you use your weapons while it is set to regen shields, your lasers will do almost no damage. So when you are firing your lasers you have to have it on more powerful lasers. The only time you should have it on shield regen is when you are not firing your lasers.

You mean the Power Conversion module. Not sure if he can get that yet, but OP if you can you definitely SHOULD. It's a great upgrade that is critical for completing missions as you get to the higher levels. If you have that module, you can switch to offensive mode, which will increase the power of your blasters, thus enabling to do more damage on those fighters.

You mean the Power Conversion module. Not sure if he can get that yet, but OP if you can you definitely SHOULD. It's a great upgrade that is critical for completing missions as you get to the higher levels. If you have that module, you can switch to offensive mode, which will increase the power of your blasters, thus enabling to do more damage on those fighters.

Thank you, the name of it escaped me :)

Perform the lowest space combat missions in the Fleet mission console in your ship. The lower ones will be done without a geared ship. These will still give you fleet comms which then enable you to slow upgrade your ship to do better and better in combat until you start using the custom made and Grade 7 quality gear.

Perform the lowest space combat missions in the Fleet mission console in your ship. The lower ones will be done without a geared ship. These will still give you fleet comms which then enable you to slow upgrade your ship to do better and better in combat until you start using the custom made and Grade 7 quality gear.

I'm pretty sure that the only ship upgrades you can get with fleet comms are the Power Conversion Module (level 25), Electronic Warfare Pod (level 35), EMP Generator (level 45) and Proton Torpedos (level 50)

There are actually 42 other ship upgrades that can be bought for credits at the vendor and the gtn.

Edited by Khevar

I will typically buy level 1 gear (except the armor as you get that in a reward for your first space mission) and use those parts until I can buy/equip Tier 2 crafted space components. Once I can do that, I keep using Tier 2 components until I can equip Tier 4 components in the ship as Tier 2 crafted are better than the tier 3 you buy from the space vendor in my opinion.

Now that Tier 7 parts are out, I'll typically keep using Tier 4 until I hit lvl 50 and can buy/equip the T7 gear.

Prior to the Tier 7 "heroic" space missions I never bought/used any of the 4 'addons' to the ship, like proton torpedos or the power conversion module. They may be nice, but they're not needed to complete any of the 'original' space missions.

What does your latency look like, OP?

The reason I bring this up is that sometimes when my internet connections slows down to where I have 1 red bar, the mission will continue and you'll be able to fire lasers, but no enemy ships will be harmed. Sometimes this happens and I can actually finish the mission without harming a single ship or objective, then my ship just flies forever lol.

Just something to check. :)

For space combat you need space ship part of the correct level for the mission your trying to do. The checks are gear ranks 0, 1 and 3 when levelling. If your trying to do a mission with gear below the ranking listed your find it hard if not impossible.

If your trying to do a mission with gear below the ranking listed your find it hard if not impossible.

It really depends on what level you are, and what level the mission is. You can't do level 1 missions with nothing, and you can't do Heroic (Level 7) missions with level 5. But if you have 1 and trying to do 3, then it might work, but you'd have to be really good to do that. :D

It really depends on what level you are, and what level the mission is. You can't do level 1 missions with nothing, and you can't do Heroic (Level 7) missions with level 5. But if you have 1 and trying to do 3, then it might work, but you'd have to be really good to do that. :D

Actually, on my latest character, I did a bunch of this. I basically kept forgetting to buy upgrades at fleet and did not want to go through the loading screen twice to buy them. So I just did the missions with an "inferior" ship. But because I already had extensive experience with all the space missions I was able to do just enough to finish them. Only after I hit 50 did I buy the grade 5 ship upgrades...I still don't have the EMP generator because I continue to forget to buy it :).

Space is way to easy and quite boring I must add. I really wish they would've done a more free roaming space than this rail shooter and rehashed levels. But it is what it is.

Like others have expressed, it is all about having the correct upgrades for the level your character is and the level of space mission you choose. When you click on the mission it usually says in the description before accepting it what level of upgrades you should want to have for it.

Also as Darevsool said, those Tier 2 Crafted upgrades are a bit better than the Tier 3 ones you get from the vendor.

You also want to get those commands from the Fleet Comms Vendor that is standing behind the Star Ship Upgrade Vendor in the Fleet. They do help out when in a pinch and make the missions even easier than they already are.

One thing you want to also focus on is getting all the Bonus Missions as you do them. They give you more credits and XP. Especially the ones that do not get listed in the upper right of the screen as you are doing the missions. Those would be the ones where you destroy the Bridge of the Capitol Ships and the lower Antenna on the enemy Space Stations.

Also what SteelPiranha suggest about checking your latency is something to look at. It could very well mess with your ability to play the missions.

Just thinking here....

Are you trying to destroy the big ships or the fighters? The basic fighters in the easy missions should only take a couple of hits to kill. A frigate on the other hand, you can only kill the turrets most of which are a bit harder than a fighter, the main turret on the front is significantly harder to kill. You can also take out their engines with a bit of effort. On Destroyers and up, you can only really take out turrets and shield generators (if they have them, in which case they need to be taken out first).

Frigate has four turrets at the front, two in the middle, two at the back as well as two other targetable areas that I've never killed.

Destroyer has three rows of four turrets on the top and the same on the bottom, I also seem to remember a cluster of four turrets amidships on top. can also have four shield generators on the back part of the topside, also has a bridge, which again I have never been able to destroy.

Just thinking here....

Are you trying to destroy the big ships or the fighters? The basic fighters in the easy missions should only take a couple of hits to kill. A frigate on the other hand, you can only kill the turrets most of which are a bit harder than a fighter, the main turret on the front is significantly harder to kill. You can also take out their engines with a bit of effort. On Destroyers and up, you can only really take out turrets and shield generators (if they have them, in which case they need to be taken out first).

Frigate has four turrets at the front, two in the middle, two at the back as well as two other targetable areas that I've never killed.

Destroyer has three rows of four turrets on the top and the same on the bottom, I also seem to remember a cluster of four turrets amidships on top. can also have four shield generators on the back part of the topside, also has a bridge, which again I have never been able to destroy.

The Bridges take quite a few missiles to destroy. I have not counted the quantity needed but it is a lot. In fact it takes the most out of everything else. I think even more than the Antenna under the Space Stations. If anyone plans to take out the Bridges they really need to make sure and get the Missile Upgrades so that they have enough missiles to do so and still finish the rest of the mission. At least that is my suggestion.

I heard it was easier to take out the Bridges with the Proton Torpedo but I have yet to get that to test it out. Once my Smuggler hits 50 I will try it out.

Note: For the new players that may not know. If you use your lasers on the shields and bridges, you are wasting your time. They can really only be destroyed by missiles. You notice which targets require missiles as they flicker with light blue and/or white circles around it as you hit them with lasers.