F2P restrictions.

Cordarn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the hilarious part (been around since beta mind you) is that these are the same EXACT people on the "SWTOR is gonna die in 6 months" train. i find this ammusing only because theyre now defending it. Do continue though.

There is no high horse except the one you are on about

This is where you get derailed, if your expecting that with this game, move along this isn't the game your looking for.

Feel free to check server loads and pick a server that is good for you - http://www.torstatus.net/

Edit - post how "lowly" those same F2P people are on these forums?

I also don't think that at all , if people want to have a F2P account and pay for the unlocks or sub that is there choice and I see nothing wrong with that.

I like you how just pick out ONE thing from my post and actually ignore the facts. FACT - right now, servers are light when they used to be standard, even heavy at this time of day for Euro Servers.

Like everyone sitting on their high horse, you continue to miss the point. Hey, if you're happy playing on empty servers - fine. There simply is no point debating this with people who expect they are right because they are paying a sub.

I pay a sub and I believe Flashpoints and Warzones should lose their restrictions. It will present a BETTER GAMING EXPERIENCE FOR ALL.

in caps, incase you again miss the point.

the hilarious part (been around since beta mind you) is that these are the same EXACT people on the "SWTOR is gonna die in 6 months" train. i find this ammusing only because theyre now defending it. Do continue though.

But it did. F2P saved it. Short memory if you remember how Bioware just left the game to rot for 8 months whilst they ran around trying to figure out a plan B.

Hey, if you're happy playing on empty servers - fine. There simply is no point debating this with people who expect they are right because they are paying a sub.

I pay a sub and I believe Flashpoints and Warzones should lose their restrictions. It will present a BETTER GAMING EXPERIENCE FOR ALL.

in caps, incase you again miss the point.

See I don't find my servers empty, maybe you need more friends to play with, what has me paying a sub got to do with it, how is my sub any different to a F2P player who buys unlocks ? So I chose to not buy a bigmac meal once a month to pay for my sub.

Well if there is suggestions for improvement post them here if your serious - http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349 and if they agree then I am sure they will implement them.

This just made me think of that movie "Chicken Little" - The Sky is Falling ! not sure why

Edited by OwenBrooks

• 2 months later...
So first off there really is no difference between preferred status and free play status aside form you have access to three or four more things. Further more, is that a lot of the restrictions placed are down right ridiculous.

Restrictions like these:

-Most emotes are blocked, this I don't understand.

- Credit cap, putting a credit cap (not to mention a pretty low credit cap) is absurd. Its like putting a cap on how much air you can breath. Seriously you can't buy much cool items like the cassus fett armour or varactyls with 350k or anything on the gtn unless its lowgrade gear.

-having to wait a period of time between each message you send in general chat, now this is just annoying and doesn't make a lick of sense.

-Increased vendor and modification removal prices, not only do you have a low amount of money because of the credit cap but now they are increasing prices so you run out of money faster!

-Xp reduction, your reducing my how fast someone can level now?

That only list some.

Come on Bioware, put on some reasonable restrictions and remove the boneheaded ones.

I just wish f2p's could get full mail abilities and a no credit cap. The rest is good but I don't really need it.

Edited by dgpocarter

I just wish f2p's could get full mail abilities and a no credit cap. The rest is good but I don't really need it.

of all the restrictions, its the one that will never happen.

the whole point of mail and credit restriction is to discourage credit sellers. they are already annoying, imagine how annoying they will be if they have no restrictions?

the whole point of mail and credit restriction is to discourage credit sellers. they are already annoying, imagine how annoying they will be if they have no restrictions?

Funny, I see gold sellers on the fleets and starting planets all the time. The restrictions don't seem to be preventing them, do they?

So many F2P clients do not understand this. They are of the entitlement mindset that everything should just be free.

Can you quote where in the posts people specifically stated that "everything should just be free?" ANY quote? Seems like we're not reading the same thread here, or your reading comprehension needs work.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't subscribe, you really don't have a voice when it comes to complaining about things working/not working. Just my two cents.

So, if I ever decide not to renew my subscription, I'm no longer allowed to have an opinion on the game? Good luck with that one.

As Zorvan said, you really need to tone down the elitism a lot.

Gold sellers will exist no matter where or what environment you force your community into. I have been playing MMO for ten years now, ranging from Runescape, WoW, Aion, Tera, Rift, SWTOR, GW2 and a few others that I don't even remember. All of these have gold spammer in them. The degree of severity varies by game depending on how easy the in-game currency is to obtain, and that's about it. It doesn't matter if the game is sub-based or not, gold spammers will be there regardless. Putting detrimental restriction on F2P like SWTOR only disgust legitimate players rather than deter illegal RMT who are hell-bent on making money one way or the other regardless of what ridiculous environment you put them in.

Reason why SWTOR seems mild in terms of gold spammer is because credits are so easily to obtain that players just doesn't see the need to "take the short-cut". Recently, I noticed a lot more spamming activities because BW has began to flood the game with "cool" CM stuff which is causing more people to demand "instant cash right now" because they don't have to patience to farm all the credit they need to buy all the "cool stuff" any more. Basic supply and demand.

In short, I strongly agree with the OP. Advertising the game as F2P then put severe restriction on them just make the game look like the game is desperate to nickle and dime you. Placing restriction on F2P is fine; but do it in moderation. XP restriction, chat restriction, limited mail restriction are the ones I will agree with. The rest is looks like extortion ploy from a greedy company. I mean come on, pay to toggle helms off? LOL!

I'm just going to reply without quoting multiple posts, cause lazy and leveling.

yes, there are credit sellers. there will always be credit sellers. the question is - how easy do you make it for credit sellers to transfer credits around and hold them on their completely unpaid accounts? have you played any other f2p games recently? not buy to play (the cost of getting a new account is a restriction of its own). free 2 play. go to a city one of these days and watch just how much more numerous the advertisements are

of all the restrictions that exist on f2p/preferred accounts - inability to mail credits and credit cap are one of the more reasonable ones.

and the reason why gold sellers aren't as prevalent is because the game has a built in credit to real money exchange system in a form of cartel coin purchases being sellable on GTN.

but inability to accept quest rewards (aka boxes) on the other hand being restricted behind subscription only? THAT is an problem. I mean... you cannot even open a backpack with armor upgrade given to your companion when you get off the starting world fer cripes sakes.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just going to reply without quoting multiple posts, cause lazy and leveling.

yes, there are credit sellers. there will always be credit sellers. the question is - how easy do you make it for credit sellers to transfer credits around and hold them on their completely unpaid accounts? have you played any other f2p games recently? not buy to play (the cost of getting a new account is a restriction of its own). free 2 play. go to a city one of these days and watch just how much more numerous the advertisements are

of all the restrictions that exist on f2p/preferred accounts - inability to mail credits and credit cap are one of the more reasonable ones.

and the reason why gold sellers aren't as prevalent is because the game has a built in credit to real money exchange system in a form of cartel coin purchases being sellable on GTN.

but inability to accept quest rewards (aka boxes) on the other hand being restricted behind subscription only? THAT is an problem. I mean... you cannot even open a backpack with armor upgrade given to your companion when you get off the starting world fer cripes sakes.

That may be so, but that's hardly what people are saying. They're claiming that the credit cap and mail restrictions are what's keeping gold sellers away, and if we keep these, then it will never be a problem. Kudos to you for making the distinction, though.

But the amount of ignorance that I described along with the people who think that "I want to be able to accept all quest rewards" = "**** I WANT EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME TO BE FREE FOR F2P PLAYERS WITHOUT HAVING TO PLAY INTO THE GAME AT ALL!!!!!!!!" that I pointed out above, and other things that I've heard (such as banning F2P players from trading prevents gold sellers, when it serves no purpose other than to frustrate players grouped with F2P players and makes them into even bigger scapegoats, or the F2P players can't jump) really doesn't help you guys' case here.

You're also confusing pure F2P players with preferred status players. Preferred status players actually have paid into the game (whether by buying CCs, being a former sub, or preordering an expansion), whereas pure F2P players have not. So yeah, preferred status players should have a much higher credit cap that pure F2P players, and should be able to mail credits (up to a limit, possibly as a compromise).

Edited by HandOfKane

So first off there really is no difference between preferred status and free play status aside form you have access to three or four more things. Further more, is that a lot of the restrictions placed are down right ridiculous.

Restrictions like these:

-Most emotes are blocked, this I don't understand.

- Credit cap, putting a credit cap (not to mention a pretty low credit cap) is absurd. Its like putting a cap on how much air you can breath. Seriously you can't buy much cool items like the cassus fett armour or varactyls with 350k or anything on the gtn unless its lowgrade gear.

-having to wait a period of time between each message you send in general chat, now this is just annoying and doesn't make a lick of sense.

-Increased vendor and modification removal prices, not only do you have a low amount of money because of the credit cap but now they are increasing prices so you run out of money faster!

-Xp reduction, your reducing my how fast someone can level now?

That only list some.

Come on Bioware, put on some reasonable restrictions and remove the boneheaded ones.

- Yes it is strange to do this

-Yes credit caps are annoying and I have always hated the idea of not getting to use what I have earned but sorry this games cap is hardly noticeable. If you think this is bad I suggest staying away from DCUO, f2p limit is 1500, premium is 2000.

-This really sucks but I do see the reasoning behind it (if this is true), to keep the credit sellers from spamming.

-This doesn't really bug me and it does make sense. Don't look at it as an increase in price for non subs but more as a discount for subs. Out in the real world there are many places that have reward systems that give extra discounts to their members, same thing here.

-A lot of people think this is bad, I have played all account levels and really you don't notice it. Basically if you're not over level by a few all the way through the game you did something wrong. I believe the decrease in xp is at level 20 now which makes it even less of an issue from when it was at 10.

I have always thought that all the restrictions this game has shows how much they were dragged kicking and screaming to the world of F2P.

As to all the comments on the restrictions being for curbing the credit sellers, they don't and wont. I mentioned DCUO above and even with their horrible credit cap the sellers are still going strong. There can be up to 3 going at once on 1 map, there really isn't any time of the day they aren't on.